These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning from a long break,,,,, question about griefers

Author
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#41 - 2014-01-06 11:17:27 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:

EVE is one of the few games out there where not everyone gets a pat on the butt and a trophy just for logging in.

obviously, you need to bump a ship first.
Lady Areola Fappington
#42 - 2014-01-06 11:25:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Areola Fappington
Lucas Kell wrote:

It's called a peak. 5 Years ago the new order were nothing, a tiny group of people. Since then, they have built up to a peak, and since peaking (and since the barge changes) have been decreasing in numbers as their efforts are less effective.

Five years ago, the New Order didn't exist. You may be confusing it with Hulkageddon, which while similar, was run by different people with different goals. Since I've been around, the New Order channel has pretty steadily grown from an average of ~20 people online, to ~45-50. You do realise, we're not exactly organized like ~elite pvp alliances~ with CTAs and all that jazz, right? James doesn't come down from on-high and declare "We must focus our efforts in X system!"

Lucas Kell wrote:
Bullshit. It's written to be purposely vague so you idiots can interpret it in whatever way benefits you at the time.

You seem to be taking it pretty seriously. Honestly, I thought even you new order guys knew you were an absolute joke.

You seem pretty intent on degrading members of New Order as "morons" and other such fun terms. Not having some RL/Game disconnect issues, are you? I mean, all it takes for me to stop being a "New Order Agent" is logging in a different account.

Anyway, here's the big super secret behind The Code. People who follow it are effectively ungankable. The whole "Pay attention, don't be AFK, tank your mining ship...." bit, advice handed out pretty freely, that's following The Code.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#43 - 2014-01-06 11:32:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
wardec them with your alt corp, put some recons in system for a while, either you will kill the bumper or he will leave you alone.
They probably wont form a fleet and stay in system just because of 1-2 wartargets in local afk cloaking, in same time they surely wont hang out in a belt for bumping with these 1-2 wartargets in local.

Arazu on grid with miners + some damage ship ready to kill the bumper work perfectly.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#44 - 2014-01-06 11:43:34 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Though the occasional "new order" type can probably PvP and does the "New Order" thing just for lulz most of them are wannabes and you rarely if ever see them in losec, people might actually shoot back at them.

You somehow seem to have missed some of the words contained in the name "New Order of Highsec", highsec being one of them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2014-01-06 11:46:51 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
The answer is yes, there are now more new order douches than previously, so yes, this is more common. The worst possible thing you can do is pay them, since that encourages them to d it more. In realism paying them only usually stops the one person doing it for now, and they will soon be back to tell you some other made up rule you've broken which invalidates your payment. I've seen it happen time and time again.

The best thing you can do is simply move to a new system (more than a few jumps away). If they follow you, petition it, since they are not allowed to follow you around bumping you forever. Also, there are unwritten limits. If they are completely preventing you from being able to do anything leaving you with only the option of not playing, it's been going on for more than a couple of hours, and they have no ability to kill you or gain anything from it, CCP will usually ask them to cease if you raise a ticket.

Essentially what it boils down to is while CCP are not going to step in every time anyone gets bumped as it's a valid method of gameplay, if gets to the point of stupid and starts risking them losing subs, they'll usually take action.

Remember though, regardless of what the forum trolls tell you, if you feel harassed, and feel that it's gone on too long, you do have the right to raise a ticket about it. It may not get anything done if CCP feel it's within their limits, but you are free to report what you feel is harassment. At the end of the day, this is a game and we're all here for entertainment. Silently putting up with not having any fun at all because some troll on the forum told you you are a carebear won't do anything.

:frogout: of the CFC
Ice Eagle
#46 - 2014-01-06 11:56:39 UTC
skiff with a simple t2 passive fit ie, couple large extenders invols and t1 rigs will give an effective tank of around 14-16k.

in regards to bumping,

make a bm in the belt, approach said bm (gives the impression you are still playing), minimize eve and play something else for a couple hours, mow the lawn, goto work, what ever. let them brainlessly bump you for as long as they like. jokes on them

like anything, if they don't get any response from you then it isn't fun, they will move on and, depending how drunk or stoned they are, will remember that you did not provide them with tears.

Passive aggressive, always an option
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#47 - 2014-01-06 12:12:07 UTC

Anyway, here's the big super secret behind The Code. People who follow it are effectively ungankable. The whole "Pay attention, don't be AFK, tank your mining ship...." bit, advice handed out pretty freely, that's following The Code.

Its almost astounding that some people STILL dont get this

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-01-06 12:23:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelica Dreamstar
The only griefers I know sit in starter corps and tell you to play isolated. To mine or run missions.

Edit: Apparently I got six Likes for this comment. Yet, nobody actually cares about helping changing the situation.

You all pretty much suck. A lot. Cheerio!

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#49 - 2014-01-06 13:01:42 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

It's called a peak. 5 Years ago the new order were nothing, a tiny group of people. Since then, they have built up to a peak, and since peaking (and since the barge changes) have been decreasing in numbers as their efforts are less effective.

This sentence alone proves that you are making things up as you go along. Five years ago the New Order didn't exist, because we weren't needed. Miner ganking, ninja salvaging, and canflipping were at an all time high and life was good in highsec. The New Order came into existence in 2012 as a reaction to the mining barge/exhumer changes, a way to save miner ganking as a profession from near extinction and to call attention to the problem of all avenues for highsec PvP being systematically nerfed by CCP to appease the "carebears". Since then we have been steadily growing.

Carebears are a subset of EVE's population contributes little to nothing to the community or the content of the game, and does not deserve the special, protected status that the developers have given them. The New Order works hard and uses all of its ingenuity to engage these people and to protect highsec from them, in spite of all the obstacles that have been placed in our path.

We also operate in all regions of highsec, even out to the remote fringes. Because we are a decentralized volunteer organization with members from many different corporations and alliances, there tend to be clusters of activity all over the place where different agents and their friends prefer to concentrate their efforts.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#50 - 2014-01-06 13:09:59 UTC
You'd be amazed at how good gank Catalysts are at blowing up other gank Catalysts.

And a heck of a lot more satisfying than actually paying these retards.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#51 - 2014-01-06 13:12:02 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
And a heck of a lot more satisfying than actually paying these retards.

paying lol. Pay them with lead and antimatter.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#52 - 2014-01-06 13:42:13 UTC
Ice Eagle wrote:

like anything, if they don't get any response from you then it isn't fun, they will move on and, depending how drunk or stoned they are, will remember that you did not provide them with tears.

False statement.

They will not stop.

Bumping is legal. Griefing is not. That's the line CCP must manipulate policy around.

Just take two or three screenshots about 5-10 minutes apart, as you are bumped a few times into different parts of the belt from your desired location. Try to get proof of your Orca or Hulk moving away at 250 m/s on speedometer.

Forward the photos and story in a Petition, and I guarantee you will not see that Bumper "for awhile".

Or........................just move somewhere else and mine.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2014-01-06 13:52:14 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
The only griefers I know sit in starter corps and tell you to play isolated. To mine or run missions.

that 1 trillion times! That is the greater offense or attack someone can commit upon a new player. Shoudl be bannable even.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2014-01-06 13:54:06 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Ice Eagle wrote:

False statement.

They will not stop.

Bumping is legal. Griefing is not. That's the line CCP must manipulate policy around.

Just take two or three screenshots about 5-10 minutes apart, as you are bumped a few times into different parts of the belt from your desired location. Try to get proof of your Orca or Hulk moving away at 250 m/s on speedometer.

Forward the photos and story in a Petition, and I guarantee you will not see that Bumper "for awhile".

Or........................just move somewhere else and mine.

You will get nothign with taht. The bumper can simply claim that for roleplay reasons he is trying to save that belt. He is entitled to do it. To be considered harassment (ccp never uses the childish and pathetic term grief) he woudl need to follow you whatever damm system you go targetint you and only you with tht intend to clearly make you angry.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#55 - 2014-01-06 13:55:26 UTC
I would like to remind you that people are quite easy to classify something as griefing. In this game, one can declare war upon another, and start killing their starbases, infiltrate in their ranks, utterly detroy them and still it is not griefing according CCP. So when you classify your ship being bumped around a little as griefing... Roll

Someone following you around and interdicting your activities, even over a long period of time, is technically still not griefing in the purest sense. In fact the focussed interdiction of PVE activities for a certain group is a valid strategy. Wars in Eve are won and lost on morale, and negatively impacting morale is also a valid strategy. It is absurd that on one end we are allowed to decimate each other's star empires by breaking people's will to fight... even to log on... but on the other end we have to walk on eggs around bumping-sensitive miners? It makes no sense and it's a double standard, subscriptions be damned.
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#56 - 2014-01-06 13:55:40 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:
[quote=Lucas Kell]
Carebears are a subset of EVE's population contributes little to nothing to the community or the content of the game, and does not deserve the special, protected status that the developers have given them.

well, they give CCP cashflow.
as it seems (by reading the bragging on the forums) everyone else is plexing their accounts.
and now you might begin to understand why they do have a protected status, coz they're the customers and you're the leeches.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#57 - 2014-01-06 14:06:07 UTC
Rick II Egnald wrote:
I just started playing again after a 5 year break,,, I finally got myself up to a hulk to mine, and I only mine in .9 for now until I can train drones up enough to get some hobs for protection.

Anyways, I encountered this for the first time today....... some doorknob evidently finds great delight in ramming mining ships to keep knocking you out of mining distance...... this guy followed me around for an hour doing this and demandng a 10,000,000 ransom to stop.... you can't attack them in .9

Is this normal now?

So you can't deal with someone engaging you in a multiplayer game?

That decision to stop playing EVE you made 5 years ago, that was the right move. Be right again lol.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2014-01-06 14:09:24 UTC
embrel wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
[quote=Lucas Kell]
Carebears are a subset of EVE's population contributes little to nothing to the community or the content of the game, and does not deserve the special, protected status that the developers have given them.

well, they give CCP cashflow.
as it seems (by reading the bragging on the forums) everyone else is plexing their accounts.
and now you might begin to understand why they do have a protected status, coz they're the customers and you're the leeches.

Yeah I bet CCP are really kicking themselves for providing a means to maintain a subscription without providing any income for them whatsoever.
Or maybe they're smarter than you give them credit for and it's actually you who misunderstands how PLEX works.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#59 - 2014-01-06 14:12:02 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

Five years ago, the New Order didn't exist. You may be confusing it with Hulkageddon, which while similar, was run by different people with different goals. Since I've been around, the New Order channel has pretty steadily grown from an average of ~20 people online, to ~45-50. You do realise, we're not exactly organized like ~elite pvp alliances~ with CTAs and all that jazz, right? James doesn't come down from on-high and declare "We must focus our efforts in X system!"
I didn't bother checking the date you guys started up. I just assumed it had been longer than 5 years. And while your little channel maybe growing, there's considerably less of your actively patrolling and hassling than their used to be.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Bullshit. It's written to be purposely vague so you idiots can interpret it in whatever way benefits you at the time.

You seem to be taking it pretty seriously. Honestly, I thought even you new order guys knew you were an absolute joke.

You seem pretty intent on degrading members of New Order as "morons" and other such fun terms. Not having some RL/Game disconnect issues, are you? I mean, all it takes for me to stop being a "New Order Agent" is logging in a different account.
You realise it doesn't have to be affecting my real life for me to think someone is a moron right? The majority of the new order guys I've spoken to are not very bright. That is no surprise, since it's effectively a cult and cults aren't really known for attracting the brightest sparks.

Ungankable, sure. but that's why you guys bump. So you can hassle people into paying you. And once people pay, you have no reason to uphold your end of the deal, so you just make stuff up at a later date to do it again. It's not like that's not something that is common knowledge, though I understand why you scramble to protect yourselves.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2014-01-06 14:15:13 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:

that 1 trillion times! That is the greater offense or attack someone can commit upon a new player. Shoudl be bannable even.

Many say this, yet nobody is willing to help and put effort into balancing this and I can't do it alone, because there are too many of them.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE