These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best Race

Author
JustTrial Noobistan
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-01-03 03:04:22 UTC
According to this thread from 2012

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=149635&p=2

Gallente are very very bad overall and Minmatar are best in overall ship quality. Is this still true? What is more favorable race at the moment in terms of ships?
Kasife Vynneve
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-01-03 03:10:40 UTC
The one that does what you want it to the best.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2014-01-03 03:42:30 UTC
Outdated info. All Tech 1 sub-capital ships have bee rebalanced.

Also... there are no "best" ships. There is no ship that can "do everything." Each racial line has pros and cons in certain situations based on what they can do.

Gallente: They can rush towards a target and apply facemelting damage with very short range weapons. Primarily uses armor but can be used with shields.

Caldari: They have range bonuses to apply damage from afar and have some very potent Electronic Warfare (see: de-buffs). Uses shields.

Minmatar: They have generally fast ships that can skirmish around the edges of different ships engagement envelopes. Different ships use either shields or armor.

Amarr: They have potent Electronic Warfare, large engagement envelopes, and fit in very well into large gang/fleet compositions. Uses armor.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#4 - 2014-01-03 04:14:01 UTC
JustTrial Noobistan wrote:

Gallente are very very bad overall and Minmatar are best in overall ship quality. Is this still true? What is more favorable race at the moment in terms of ships?
Fooooooooorrrr....? Smile ECM/Jamming? Big smile
"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?" -Lorien

—Ω—

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#5 - 2014-01-03 06:13:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
I'm tempted to say that Gallente are the current flavour-of-the-month (FOTM) again, but that doesn't mean they are the best.

There is no best, and CCP Fozzie and CCP Rise do a lot of ship balancing to make sure that is the case.

However there are differences in the ships, and that means they require different approaches to combat.

Example:
* Gallente must control engagement range (they face-melt at very short range), or use drones. This is why the Caldari stay out of the danger zone, and use longer range weapons.
* Minmatar have fast and nimble ships for running around slower Amarr ships, but the Amarr have huge buffer tanks to soak up damage, unlike the less sturdy Minmatar ships.

It doesn't take long to learn all basic ships.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-01-03 06:21:47 UTC
Every Race has their weak and strong points. You just need to decide which ones suit your needs best.

Look and General design wise I love AMARR.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#7 - 2014-01-03 06:42:40 UTC
Primary thing day one is doing the tutorial and finding the career agents which you probably first started at. From career agents you will get the idea of general starting professions. In the larger scheme of things, ships don't matter so much, you can cross train later, core skills are what matter early on as you will use those skills in every ship you have. If you are Gallente, start with their frigs, your weapons and defenses will probably do better in the space you are in, rats have different resistance and damage which your racial ships will do best against.

A good resource about the game is ISK the Guide, a free pdf. It will give you a better understanding of the careers people do here, which are beyond what the career agents cover. The pdf also covers popular resources and apps commonly used as you begin to grasp the game in the coming weeks.

Who are your? I'm Caldari, immortal and impatient for making more ISK.
What do you want? Shiny cov-op ships, LOTS of them.
Why are you here? You can see me?!?
Where are you going? To fix my cloaky device.

—Ω—

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-01-03 08:54:13 UTC
There is no best race.
There is no best ship.

There is only...this is the best ship in this given situation because this ship can handle said situation best.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Nick Starkey
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-01-03 10:21:42 UTC
To be honest, what matters more is the type of ship more than races themselves. Every race has an equivalent for every type (i.e stealth bombers, assault frigates, black ops) which perform more or less similar roles, with different perks on different areas. There are some common tendencies between ships inside the same faction (i.e Caldari being purely shield tanked, etc) but in the long run you will be cross training for a lot of races anyway.

I've made a signature. I hope you're enjoying it. www.evetrademaster.com - web based asset manager & profit tracker

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-01-03 10:28:18 UTC
Nick Starkey wrote:
(i.e Caldari being purely shield tanked, etc)

Never flew I scorpion I guess

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Ray Malukker
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-01-03 23:40:25 UTC
Minmatar is the best, we do wonders with duct tape and super glueLol

Yea, though I walk into the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me

Psalm 23:4

dilly nay
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-01-05 03:57:16 UTC
caldari = explosions
min = machine guns
gall = uh.. regular guns
amarr = laser guns

choose what race weapon animation you want to see for at least your first month.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#13 - 2014-01-05 04:45:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Omega Sunset
dilly nay wrote:
caldari = explosions

Explosions? kinetic missiles. Then hybrid turret, shields, ECM (jamming), kinetic and thermal resistance. Maybe you meant EV? though generic for the races.
Each racial lines of ships are different. The races themselves have no bonus and can train for any ship.

—Ω—

Sid Crash
#14 - 2014-01-05 10:18:49 UTC
EVE combat is a massive rock, paper, scissors. So asking "which is best" will get you several answers; Rock will tell you he is amazing but he hates paper, scissors will reply with how terrible rock is because paper is a sissy. The real answer is that there is no best because it depends on what you're doing and what/who you're fighting.
Fal Shepard
#15 - 2014-01-08 14:51:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Fal Shepard
My opinion for the Minmatar, "Bigger gun equals Bigger Fun!"

But each race has their own special bonus while it is still possible to pilot them all.

From the ashes of our defeat, we will be reborn. With these chains with which we are bound, we will become indivisible. To those who showed us no mercy, we will give no sympathy. For the flames that burn our cities, we will douse in injustice's blood

Barbarrossa Buchner
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-01-08 17:18:39 UTC
dilly nay wrote:
caldari = explosions
min = machine guns
gall = uh.. regular guns
amarr = laser guns

choose what race weapon animation you want to see for at least your first month.

Gall = Drones?

That's what I love about them anyway...
The more I learn the more I realize just how much I don't know.
erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#17 - 2014-01-09 08:14:33 UTC
Choose with your heart. You will look at your chip a lot. As was already mentioned, all ships are balanced. What you can also consider is if you prefer sniper or close range combat.

If you do not degrade Eve to the Dark orbit or Counter strike level, you will find out, that amarr and caldary are bad guys, minmatar are not so bad (still they are terrorists, like caldary) and gallente is the only true democracy (read bureaucracy) worth joining to. Though Amarr are getting better, slowly refusing from slave trading tradition last few decades.

If you will get even further in game, you will find out, that it is not about what do you fly in , but whom do you fly with. Social game - just chek evenews24 to get an idea, how big this game is. Battles with hunderds or even thousands players involved.

This ships overview is a bit out dated (maradeurs are different, we also have SoE ships now) but still good for browsing your options. From my point of view amarr and gallente has more nice ships, minmatar has interesting industrials and frigates designs, caldary has one nice destroyer and couple of nice battleships, rest of caldry is primitive as my daughter's lego or plain ugly (Moa style, kche-kche)
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#18 - 2014-01-09 20:37:45 UTC
The current "best ship" is the Amarr Archon.

By the time you can even sit in that hull (let alone fly it well), it will have been nerfed.

As for subcapitals, the best ships currently are the Gallente Ishtar and Dominix, but that is because one of their main weapons systems, sentry drones, are considered overpowered. Other than those two which are a fair bit ahead of the rest, every single race has multiple ships that are good and seeing widespread use.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Corthon
Original Sinners
Pandemic Legion
#19 - 2014-01-10 03:12:54 UTC
JustTrial your mind is oh so small, please don't join eve
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#20 - 2014-01-11 23:47:26 UTC
Race is now irrelevant, OP, except for the first day or so when you're limited to your racial frigate. But any race can train any skill. I was "born" Caldari, but I can fly Minmatar, Amarr and Gallente ships up to battleship size. I have a Gallente dreadnaught. Race makes absolutely no difference.