These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

L4 Missions: Why bother?

Author
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#21 - 2014-01-05 02:58:37 UTC
IIshira wrote:

It's not really fair to call missions in Eve "dungeons". When you're doing a dungeon in WoW it's exclusive to you and your group. In a mission in Eve you're in the same litter box with everyone else. If someone wants to drop by and take a crap on you they can do it. Lol

It's what CCP calls 'em.. and it's right to a large extent. It's an old-school term for a pre-defined scenario upon which players can apply varying influences. In Eve, of course, that refers to any player in the vicinity. Unlike That Other Game You Mentioned :)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#22 - 2014-01-05 03:48:22 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
IIshira wrote:

It's not really fair to call missions in Eve "dungeons". When you're doing a dungeon in WoW it's exclusive to you and your group. In a mission in Eve you're in the same litter box with everyone else. If someone wants to drop by and take a crap on you they can do it. Lol

It's what CCP calls 'em.. and it's right to a large extent. It's an old-school term for a pre-defined scenario upon which players can apply varying influences. In Eve, of course, that refers to any player in the vicinity. Unlike That Other Game You Mentioned :)

I didn't know CCP referred to missions by that name but then there's a lot I don't know. Big smile

I remember as a noob I thought the gate sent me to a part of the server where I was alone like in that "other game" lol
Raven O'Russ
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2014-01-05 12:47:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Raven O'Russ
Missions are not that boring if you limit yourself to 2 or 3 of them per day. Plus you may want to read their lore or smth. Also doing them in absolutely different ships with another battle style can help (like switching long range bs to close range t3 or hac). OFC, if you just use some top end faction bs every single time and blitz every mission without even looking at your enemies, that will be boring.

Also, most of things we do in Eve may seem boring (let me remind you of such entertaining activities as mining, scanning, camping some gates, suicide runs, planetary farming, closing wormholes, deadspace complex rushes or trading). Depends on what you think of as "fun" in particular.

Well, after running SoE missions even the most tolerant me has something to complain. Two issues:
1 - go to lowsec to hunt some supertanked red cross while being scanned and hunted no matter what time of day it is, that isn't any fun. For me, at least, who doesn't like his pve activities to be interrupted.
2 - anti-amarr missions. Just like that, they are declined every single time.
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#24 - 2014-01-05 18:09:46 UTC
I think what makes PVP fun is you never know what the other person has in fleet or what he's going to do. You know what the missions are going to do because they never change. I will admit that camping a gate is boring till a Prophecy jumps in.... This may a trap or an easy kill...
Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2014-01-05 19:45:09 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Bibosikus wrote:
IIshira wrote:

I didn't know CCP referred to missions by that name but then there's a lot I don't know. Big smile

I remember as a noob I thought the gate sent me to a part of the server where I was alone like in that "other game" lol

Thats what I thought too, I thought I was essentially invulnerable in low sec as long as I got away from the gate, and didn't dally around the stations. I even talked in local, and basically said such.

Before I knew it, some ship warped on grid, jammed and scrammed me, and took me out. I didn't know what this "scanning" thing was.
Bobinu
The Faithfully Misguided
#26 - 2014-01-07 13:15:25 UTC
thetwilitehour wrote:
Bibosikus wrote:

Level 4 Mission Runners represent the largest isk faucet in Eve. Lord knows why they aren't all crying out for attention.

This is a game, after all. Games are supposed to be entertaining. Fun. Challenging and variable, if designed properly.

But Heck, I've now run a couple of dozen L4 missions and they are anything but fun.

They are crying. You're crying right now.

The people who run level 4 missions either do it like a kind of job to pay for something else in Eve

or

miss the point of Eve entirely, and run level 4 missions non stop to fund some absurd mission ship

which

allows them to run level 4 missions even faster.

Maybe some people enjoy them and do them for fun and the ISK is a bonus! Maybe they are more fun in small fleets, and maybe these mission runners who do them repeatedly have a high tolerance to boredom or enjoy improving an aspect of the mission!! Just maybe.....
Elgin Stone
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2014-01-07 20:23:08 UTC
I love fighting NPC's in a speedy frigate. waves and waves beating me down to 10% armor.

Very risky and not much reward (isk wise). Therefore I need isk to fund my addiction and L4's give me that. They also help me learn tactics, certain fitting skills and I can try out new modules.

Yes they can get boring and only 25% are actually good fun.

Frigate fun and the Battleship bonanza are different ways I enjoy eve. I don't think I could do one without the other, or all the things which come inbetween.
Previous page12