These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

L4 Missions: Why bother?

Author
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#1 - 2014-01-02 01:35:43 UTC
Rage/

I recently came back to Highsec to whore some Sister's LP in advance of the potentially lush Nestor.

What. The Fug.

Level 4 missions are absolutely horrible.

BS hulls being the obvious choice for L4, and the recent warp nerf making everything even slower, and still no improvement on variety.. Damn, but it's boring.

Level 4 Mission Runners represent the largest isk faucet in Eve. Lord knows why they aren't all crying out for attention.

This is a game, after all. Games are supposed to be entertaining. Fun. Challenging and variable, if designed properly.

But Heck, I've now run a couple of dozen L4 missions and they are anything but fun.

/Rage

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Ace Echo
The Shadow Raiders
#2 - 2014-01-02 01:52:50 UTC
Quote:
represent the largest isk faucet


There's your answer. They're boring but they're reliable, mostly uninterruptible, dumb ISK. I don't run them often but when I'm low on ISK, and either too tired or otherwise distracted and don't want to take the risks of more fun profit sources, I just run lvl4s for a while. Typically running them semi-afk on my second monitor.


Yeah, I think they could and should be improved. But they do have a point to worth bothering with them at times.

If you can milk it, it's an udder.

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-01-02 02:03:54 UTC
Well unless you're out in nulsec it's either level 4 missions or incursions. Both are moderately entertaining for a short period but become mind numbing after grinding them for hours. If you want to PVP and don't have RL money to buy PLEX you have to do something to earn ISK. I really wish they would add more missions or something for variety but I would be shocked if CCP did anything to add content to highsec.
Ginger Barbarella
#4 - 2014-01-02 02:06:28 UTC
Guess you'll have to go back to safe blue null now and continue whoring those awesome, exciting anoms!!!

0/10

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Tasiv Deka
End-of-Line
#5 - 2014-01-02 03:02:08 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
Guess you'll have to go back to safe blue null now and continue whoring those awesome, exciting anoms!!!

0/10

Nah Bibosikus is a Wormholer... but sadly he has real life issues and had to leave us (We miss you man)

Although seriously i do agree that lvl 4s are painfully boring and could use something to make them better.

Oh, Do go on... no seriously ive got nothing better to do then listen to all the petty arguments and feeble trolling attempts... 

The sad thing is i'm not sure if i'm telling the truth.

thetwilitehour
Caldari Provisions
#6 - 2014-01-02 03:17:20 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:

Level 4 Mission Runners represent the largest isk faucet in Eve. Lord knows why they aren't all crying out for attention.

This is a game, after all. Games are supposed to be entertaining. Fun. Challenging and variable, if designed properly.

But Heck, I've now run a couple of dozen L4 missions and they are anything but fun.



They are crying. You're crying right now.

The people who run level 4 missions either do it like a kind of job to pay for something else in Eve

or

miss the point of Eve entirely, and run level 4 missions non stop to fund some absurd mission ship

which

allows them to run level 4 missions even faster.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#7 - 2014-01-02 05:22:40 UTC
What? Only thing you really pointed out was the warp nerf. I don't know what SoE is dealing out, but the Caldari Navy respects our time and often gives us only one or two jumps top. After all, seems like everyone and their grandmother wants to attack the navy station, minutes away from imminent doom etc.

But yes, EVE is boring...

Too much thinking...


No elite ninja skills...



No pandas...


But hey, in space no one can hear you scream.

Though this is fluidic space, some kind of anomaly of sorts...

...all made of tears no doubt.

Anyhoot, BS's boring? Try a BC or T2 cruiser. Go run incursions, plexing, or take up exploration. Missioning is on of the few ISK faucets, guaranteed payout. Requires no luck, and no need to go beyond the solo as your time permits. You can even do other things as you run missions, play candy crush or whatever heh.

—Ω—

Bibosikus
Aliastra
#8 - 2014-01-02 10:50:30 UTC
Funny someone should mention Candy Crush in a derogatory sense. Because there's a game which is infinitely variable, superbly designed, constantly challenging and taps directly in to the addictive nature of the human mind. And you can pick it up on your phone, tablet, or PC and continue exactly where you left off. Small wonder it's making the UK-based designers a million bucks a day.

But my emoragequit is pointed specifically at L4's. I have an alt with awful Amarr standing and last week ran a whole bunch of L1 -2's to improve it. And guess what? That was actually fun. There's a much wider range of missions, they're well-designed and full of background. Some while back CCP put part of its house in order with low-end missions, probably because they were seeing too many new players fall by the wayside, disillusioned with the infamous learning curve and the lack of early content. Eve's well-documented and unforgiving sandbox nature sets it apart, but in a world of increasingly accessible and well-designed gaming, it's showing its age in some key areas.

The reasons for running L4 missions are varied. My particular current circumstances mean I'm running Sisters missions for LP because that matches my playing restrictions for now. But I've run them before for other reasons, and none of them are actually relevant to the point. Yes L4 mission-running is (relatively) safe. Yes they're easy isk. Yes it's carebearing and we all look down our noses at the whole silly idea of highsec missions. But how does it follow that they should therefore so mind-numbingly boring? Which they are. Terribadly.

When players talk about missions, the word "grinding" usually figures in the same sentence. Which is ridiculous really. Nothing in a good game should involve "grinding". Why on earth do we put up with it? Whenever this subject is raised there's a kind of lethargic, bittervet response that typifies the regard towards mission-running. "This is Eve, deal with it". "Hello Kitty that way--->" Yada yada. Nuts. Mission-running is by far the most common activity performed by the largest number of Eve players, and generates the most in-game currency. It's a vital aspect of the entire Eve economy, however short you shrift it.

Carebearing it may be, but it needs addressing.

PS - Thanks for the mention, Tas :)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#9 - 2014-01-02 11:34:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Omega Sunset
Yes... stuck on level 100 :/ but I don't want to buy a booster, would rather spend the money on another version of ravensword (elder scrolls clone made by ex-employee of bethesda). hah yes lvl4 in a BS = android tablet time.

Anyway, well hey adding together just my last three missions, I was able to buy a new scorp and t2 fit it. Yeah, I could have drifted around space in my T3 explorer and got lucky, but then I cant play with my tablet at the same time. Easy, time consuming, multi-tasking thing to do to fund other things to do in EVE. Pretty much.

—Ω—

Deunan Tenephais
#10 - 2014-01-02 15:07:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Deunan Tenephais
Bibosikus wrote:
Rage/

I recently came back to Highsec to ***** some Sister's LP in advance of the potentially lush Nestor.

What. The Fug.

Level 4 missions are absolutely horrible.

BS hulls being the obvious choice for L4, and the recent warp nerf making everything even slower, and still no improvement on variety.. Damn, but it's boring.

Level 4 Mission Runners represent the largest isk faucet in Eve. Lord knows why they aren't all crying out for attention.

This is a game, after all. Games are supposed to be entertaining. Fun. Challenging and variable, if designed properly.

But Heck, I've now run a couple of dozen L4 missions and they are anything but fun.

/Rage

Boring, hey.
Now, try to run a Serpentis Blockade and having bad luck on the unfathomable wave triggers like i did some days ago.
Took me 3 whole faking hours between the Serp BSs' tanks and the dampening pests.
At least it was not boring, only maddening.

EDIT: And after that I went back to doing L3 in my Brutix, at least doing Extravaganzas in 25/30 minutes is somewhat fun, or a slavers 2 under 10/15.
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-01-02 15:17:37 UTC
Omega Sunset wrote:

But yes, EVE is boring...

Too much thinking...


No elite ninja skills...



No pandas...


I think many new pilots quit because of the "too much thinking" one. After playing games that only require pushing one button really fast it can be hard to get used to a game like Eve.

The last one really makes me sad. Eve needs a "battle pet trainer".... Just kidding!... With my luck some CCP dev will see that and think "What a great idea!"
REiiGN15
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-01-02 15:48:23 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Omega Sunset wrote:

But yes, EVE is boring...

Too much thinking...


No elite ninja skills...



No pandas...


I think many new pilots quit because of the "too much thinking" one. After playing games that only require pushing one button really fast it can be hard to get used to a game like Eve.

The last one really makes me sad. Eve needs a "battle pet trainer".... Just kidding!... With my luck some CCP dev will see that and think "What a great idea!"


Feed the Fedo!!!
Abla Tive
#13 - 2014-01-04 05:44:01 UTC
I enjoy running level 4's in backwater systems.

I find the explosions a soothing way to end my day
(unless I get too distracted and make a mistake, in which case
I have a momentary twinge of panic shortly followed by more soothing explosions.)

Starbuck05
Abiding Ormolus
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#14 - 2014-01-04 12:02:55 UTC
I run lvl 4's for mordu's legion in null sec, the bounty and rewards are generaly the same aswel as the difficulty but the lp payout is double or triple from empire.....that beeing said they are still boring...

But luckly due to great lp pay i can afford to blitz them making it more worth it and abit more fun to do,not to mention guristas have crap loot and salvage so i don't have to waste time with those aswel.

Just because i am blond does not make me stoopid !

Kithran
#15 - 2014-01-04 12:24:38 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
Funny someone should mention Candy Crush in a derogatory sense. Because there's a game which is infinitely variable, superbly designed, constantly challenging and taps directly in to the addictive nature of the human mind. And you can pick it up on your phone, tablet, or PC and continue exactly where you left off. Small wonder it's making the UK-based designers a million bucks a day.

But my emoragequit is pointed specifically at L4's. I have an alt with awful Amarr standing and last week ran a whole bunch of L1 -2's to improve it. And guess what? That was actually fun. There's a much wider range of missions, they're well-designed and full of background. Some while back CCP put part of its house in order with low-end missions, probably because they were seeing too many new players fall by the wayside, disillusioned with the infamous learning curve and the lack of early content. Eve's well-documented and unforgiving sandbox nature sets it apart, but in a world of increasingly accessible and well-designed gaming, it's showing its age in some key areas.

{snip}


Trust me if you _only_ ran L1 missions you would realise they are no different to L4s - the reason you found them L1 and L2s interesting was they were new - you either hadn't done them before or you had done them so long ago you forgotten the details. If you are running L4s day in day out you will keep seeing the same missions.

One thing you can do to get a bit of variety is to move to a different area - the missions you are offered are dependent on two things - the faction offering the mission and where the agent offering the mission is located e.g. an agent for a gallente corp in minmatar space will offer assault with serpentis as the opponents, an agent for a caldari corp in minmatar space will offer assault with guristas as the opponents.
Dericha Solette
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-01-04 18:17:32 UTC
Quote:
I think many new pilots quit because of the "too much thinking" one. After playing games that only require pushing one button really fast it can be hard to get used to a game like Eve.


I'm a disenfranchised new pilot, so I thought I would address this. First, I came from Dust. If most of the Dust players would come over to Eve, I think this could be very true. Myself, I came over because I wanted to think. I want to do market trading, high level research, and PvP.

The issue is all the fun intricate content requires existing funds to play. So how do I obtain these funds without mining (because that is mindless as all hell)? One way is mission running- somewhat mindless, but a means to and end. Unfortunately, all the low level missions have a leg that runs you into low-sec, which all the older pilots camp. Now I have lost my PvE revenue stream and $17MM Isk in ships to build up funds for PvP and Dust Orbitals. As an aside, dropping orbitals on those CoD kids is immeasurably rewarding.

The advise I've seen on the forums, in articles, and from older players is to mine. That sounds awful and I'm not going to spend real life money to be miserable. I can date and get the same result, only with better food.

So I started up a 6 month subscription. I'll probably reduce that to PLEX, sell a few for funds, PvP until the ISK runs out and then find something else to put my time towards.
Miasmos
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-01-04 21:04:30 UTC
The intrigue in L4's lies in how fast you can blitz them while maintaining standings for maximum LP/hour. Yes it's a very boring "intrigue", as exciting as the Settlers of Catan card.

The reason people get hooked in L4's lies in that you can run them mindless, careless and friendless, hop right in without spending time to prepare unlike most other things in eve. They are the lowest barrier of commitment in eve bar mining.

PVE players have a high player retention rate in eve, because eve PVE is the worst on market. CCP is focusing their effort on luring PVE players to other activities in order to get them to stay; a better PVE system would probably do no harm though.

The sum of the problematic is this:
The only content without a barrier of commitment is the most boring content in game.

The solution is this:
Come up with exciting content without a barrier of commitment.

The problem in the solution is this:
The meaningful sandbox content gets roflstomped by the new exciting content which has no barrier of commitment.
dilly nay
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2014-01-05 01:09:11 UTC
if you are honestly unhappy with lv4's than i sincerely suggest you push your luck with lv5's. the game still has more to offer.
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#19 - 2014-01-05 02:36:35 UTC
Thanks for putting some interesting points and suggestions across.

Every dungeon in Eve is a set of defined parameters with the exception (dare I say it) of the minigame which does have a decently random aspect to it. The application of different play styles, ships and loadouts goes a long way to alleviate that very un-sandbox-like aspect of dungeons.

Except for Level 4 missions, I still proclaim. The most common activity, the largest generator of isk, and the most under-developed aspect of Eve. Dreadful.





Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#20 - 2014-01-05 02:47:01 UTC  |  Edited by: IIshira
Bibosikus wrote:
Thanks for putting some interesting points and suggestions across.

Every dungeon in Eve is a set of defined parameters with the exception (dare I say it) of the minigame which does have a decently random aspect to it. The application of different play styles, ships and loadouts goes a long way to alleviate that very un-sandbox-like aspect of dungeons.

Except for Level 4 missions, I still proclaim. The most common activity, the largest generator of isk, and the most under-developed aspect of Eve. Dreadful.


It's not really fair to call missions in Eve "dungeons". When you're doing a dungeon in WoW it's exclusive to you and your group. In a mission in Eve you're in the same litter box with everyone else. If someone wants to drop by and take a crap on you they can do it. Lol
12Next page