These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Just a thought I had

First post
Author
Angelus Micheal
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-12-31 11:13:29 UTC
This is just a thought I had and was wondering what the community thought about it. I was thinking that wouldn't it be nice if in the next update/expansion we were able to visually customize our ships with different paint colors/schemes. I mean lets admit it, some of us buy special edition ships b/c we like the looks or hate the standard looks i.e. minamatar rust-bucket scheme. Now imagine if we were able to design the colors of our ships that we actually wanted and to take that one step further what if Corps were able to do the same or even add their corporation logos to ships instead of the faction flag. I don't think that it would take a drastic amount of coding to accomplish this (of course I am no programmer) It could even be added to the repair shops in stations for cost (same as getting repaired). Anyway it's 6 am and I am rambling but just wanted to put it out there and see what others thought also maybe get CCP's notice/input/place a bug in their ear about it. Thanks for listening.
Grayland Aubaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-12-31 11:17:33 UTC
I like the idea, but I think that the colour schemes should be limited in some ways. I don't want to see pink Megathrons flying about. I am sure I have seen this suggestion before - the worry was how much extra lag this would cause when you were in a high traffic system.
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-12-31 11:17:59 UTC
This is just a thought I had, and I was wondering what the community thought about it. I was thinking that it would be nice if in the next update/expansion we were able to visually customize our ships with different paint colors/schemes; I mean lets admit it, some of us buy special edition ships b/c we like the looks or hate the standard looks. For example minamatar rust-buckets color scheme.

Now imagine if we were able to design the colors of our ships that we actually wanted, or take that one step further what if Corps were able to do the same or even add their corporation logos to ships instead of the faction flag.

I don't think that it would take a drastic amount of coding to accomplish this (of course I am no programmer) It could even be added to the repair shops in stations for cost (same as getting repaired). Anyway it's 6 am and I am rambling but just wanted to put it out there and see what others thought also maybe get CCP's attention, anyway thanks for listening.

*fixed*
Angelus Micheal
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-12-31 12:00:08 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
This is just a thought I had, and I was wondering what the community thought about it. I was thinking that it would be nice if in the next update/expansion we were able to visually customize our ships with different paint colors/schemes; I mean lets admit it, some of us buy special edition ships b/c we like the looks or hate the standard looks. For example minamatar rust-buckets color scheme.

Now imagine if we were able to design the colors of our ships that we actually wanted, or take that one step further what if Corps were able to do the same or even add their corporation logos to ships instead of the faction flag.

I don't think that it would take a drastic amount of coding to accomplish this (of course I am no programmer) It could even be added to the repair shops in stations for cost (same as getting repaired). Anyway it's 6 am and I am rambling but just wanted to put it out there and see what others thought also maybe get CCP's attention, anyway thanks for listening.

*fixed*

thanks for the fix, I had just woke up and was out of it :)
Rhatar Khurin
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-12-31 12:02:33 UTC
Angelus Micheal wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:

*fixed*

thanks for the fix, I had just woke up and was out of it :)

Ah the old "Blurt it out as fast as you can before you forget it technique" i have done it many times.
Josef Djugashvilis
#6 - 2013-12-31 12:09:24 UTC
Grayland Aubaris wrote:
I like the idea, but I think that the colour schemes should be limited in some ways. I don't want to see pink Megathrons flying about. I am sure I have seen this suggestion before - the worry was how much extra lag this would cause when you were in a high traffic system.

I would love to have all my ships painted a shocking pink.

Why would this be bad?

This is not a signature.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-12-31 12:12:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelica Dreamstar
MY PINK HELLO KITTY RAVEN WAS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Rich Uncle PennyBags
EVE Online Monopoly
#8 - 2013-12-31 12:51:36 UTC
It's been suggested a million and one times before.

The issue is server load.

Loading 2000 custom skins in a fleet fight would kill the server quicker than you can say flesh toned thorax.

CCP has spoken about this a number of times.

:)
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#9 - 2013-12-31 12:53:24 UTC
:CCP Alt detected:
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#10 - 2013-12-31 13:04:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
IIRC this was one of the imagination promises at the last fanfest, to have alliance/corp logo on the ships.

Whether CCP Seagull was implying that they will be doing it soon, or whether the imagination is the only place where this idea will ever exist, is uncertain.
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#11 - 2013-12-31 13:14:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
This suggestion has come up very frequently. CCP have mentioned it and said it was possible, but their initial way of dealing with this was to create new ship "skins" and have people trade in a normal ship of the same hull and some aur in the nex store to receive new colour schemes etc.

This never happened of course, like a great many of CCP's ideas, but that was the idea. They also said that they would be introducing corp logos on ships. At the time they said if would be possible when all the V3 textures were added to TQ. Which, as far as I am aware, happened in Rubicon with the addition of Station's V3 textures (don't remember where I read that and can't be bothered to check right now).

So we can expect corp logos fairly soon (or never, depending on how CCP feel), but no idea about custom ships skins etc.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#12 - 2013-12-31 13:14:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Sirinda
Yes, it would be nice to have.

That said: OP, take a look at your post and tell me in all honesty if you think it's an easy read.

Once you've come to the conclusion that it's in fact not, go add some paraghraphs and linebreaks.

EDIT: Just realized somebody beat me to the punch. Also, I can understand the 'just got out of bed, my writing's shite' sentiment.
Conar
My Wormhole Hurts
#13 - 2013-12-31 13:22:16 UTC
What would it bring to the game? This is a dead horse, please take it and WIS out back and shoot it.....

And clothes, and monocles and....

Conar 07
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#14 - 2013-12-31 13:26:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Conar wrote:
What would it bring to the game? This is a dead horse, please take it and WIS out back and shoot it.....

Conar 07

Except, like WiS, CCP say that it will happen eventually. People who make successful computer games (read CCP) think it would add something (immersion if nothing else). So frankly, I find your opinion lacking.

Edit: Also, just to point out, shooting a dead horse doesn't fix your problem. The horse is still there, and still dead.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-12-31 13:32:40 UTC
MY PINK HELLO KITTY RAVEN WAS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-12-31 13:34:06 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
Conar wrote:

Conar 07

Except, like WiS, CCP say that it will happen eventually. People who make successful computer games (read CCP) think it would add something (immersion if nothing else). So frankly, I find your opinion lacking.

He got no clue about the importance of (LOOK AT MY EPIC) boobees in video games! :D

Kryptik Kai
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2013-12-31 13:36:29 UTC
Angelus Micheal wrote:
minamatar rust-bucket scheme.

Trust in the Rust!

"Shiny.  Lets be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#18 - 2013-12-31 13:48:32 UTC
This totally new and amazing idea belongs in F&I, not GD.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#19 - 2013-12-31 14:03:26 UTC
Skins could cause increase of server load but nobody will convince me that color index for various parts of hull coded as single byte is not possible to introduce. Just give us X colors to choose from for each main part of hull and you have most successful expansion ever.

Of course you can start by giving us pink and pink with slight amount of pink to complement pink.

Invalid signature format

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#20 - 2013-12-31 14:10:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
The whole 'skins will increase server load' thing annoys me a little. Because it doesn't have to. CCP have said so already and frankly anyone with any IT savy can see how it doesn't have to.

When you load grid, you load the hull types of all those ships. The hull type (probably a single integer ID) will then be used to get the ship's stats, and then your capsuleer skills to modify those stats, as well as ammo, and implants etc etc. Pulling the single integer ID at the beginning is not likely the problem given how much else has to occur afterwards. If these new skins were separate hulls in the nex store, then the process would be identical. That new integer ID would just refer back to the original hulls stats, or alternatively (and more simple) it's own set of stats, which happen to be identical.

This would be no different to the current system.

The corp logo thing would only cause client side load and could be turned off in the options. You already load the corporation of each ship when you hit grid, all that's left for the logo to appear is for the client to interpret it.

123Next page