These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Is nullsec solo frigate pvp pretty much dead?

Author
Gibbo3771
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-12-31 01:16:53 UTC
So I am not sure if it is just me, I am just back from a 3-4 month break, before that I was away from Jan-June then back for a month or so. It feels as if the areas in which I used to roam are now "unroamable".

A little history about me before you start with the whole "adapt or die" bollocks.

I have been solo and small gang pvp'in within Aquila for 3 years, I never usually have any problems getting back into the game after a short break, be it a week or 2 or a month or 2.

Now it just seems my style of gameplay is less possible than before.

My style of playing was logging in, grabbing a frigate of some kind and then hitting a busy entry system. Now when I do this, it seems that literally everyone is in interceptors. This might sound like the ideal situation for a Taranis, split them up and kill them one by one.

This however does not seem possible anymore, the warp speed seems ridiculously quick, when a interceptor lands on grid it feels as if it just "spawns" right in front of you.

Does anyone feel the same? Do I just need more time? Normally when I resub from a while away, I lose 2-3 ships before I get a feel then i'm back on it. It just feels like that won't happen.

No doubt if anyone posts here that lives in provi knows I roam there frequently and have a blast, now I just go down and get blapped lol, would probably help if I stopped warping to the sun when I die but meehhhh :D :D

tl;dr : ceptor blobs everywhere, is solo frigate pvp nigh impossible? or just out of practice?
Anatoly Vsevolod
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-12-31 01:20:14 UTC
Frigates no, null sec yes.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-12-31 01:20:33 UTC
There's PVP in Null ? I thought it was just one big group hug and cuddlefest these days, with free Barney balloons for everyone ! Blink

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Gibbo3771
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-12-31 01:21:36 UTC
Anatoly Vsevolod wrote:
Frigates no, null sec yes.


Oh I know frigate pvp itself is not dead, I have had plenty of fun in FW/Lowsec with frigs.

But my main question was related to nullsec.
Liam Inkuras
dead.Orbit
#5 - 2013-12-31 02:00:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Liam Inkuras
So there are these Tech 2 Frigates called Interceptors, and they have this awesome ability called "interdiction nullification" you should check them out.

Edit: I wrote that before reading your post, and now feel like a di*k.

Edit 2: Serious answer, try mixing up your tactics. Separation of these new Ceptor blobs is pretty tough, and is nigh impossible to do in the same system, instead, try breaking them apart at gates using aggression, or use a ship that can tank/gank a few before going down or getting off field. I personally run an Enyo in nullsec, and it does an exceptional job at blapping paper-tank Inties. With so many great changes to these long-neglected frigs, tons of pilots are trying their hand at frigate pvp. Being so new, they do not understand their engagement profiles yet, and are likely to engage almost anything they see! An Enyo looks like a tasty snack for a gang of 2-3 Interceptors. Little do they know how quickly they melt, and that is your "trap card." I guess what I've been trying to say in this ramble is just shake things up a bit, try something new. You never know, maybe you'll discover the perfect Interceptor counter Blink

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Decian Cor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-12-31 02:03:31 UTC
Rubicon

I will just leave that right there...

[u]Unfiltered for the masses.[/u]

http://imgur.com/mzSl1Ie

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#7 - 2013-12-31 02:27:59 UTC
With the welcome changes to interceptors in Rubicon there are quite a lot of them around at the moment.

I see it more as a short term fashion, than anything else. When the next rebalance or buff comes along, the fashionable ships will adjust again.
Attrael
Umokka Research and Technology Institute
#8 - 2013-12-31 02:40:36 UTC
I believe the most affective interceptor counter is the deadspace fit Ibis.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#9 - 2013-12-31 05:14:31 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So I am not sure if it is just me, I am just back from a 3-4 month break, before that I was away from Jan-June then back for a month or so. It feels as if the areas in which I used to roam are now "unroamable".

A little history about me before you start with the whole "adapt or die" bollocks.

I have been solo and small gang pvp'in within Aquila for 3 years, I never usually have any problems getting back into the game after a short break, be it a week or 2 or a month or 2.

Now it just seems my style of gameplay is less possible than before.

My style of playing was logging in, grabbing a frigate of some kind and then hitting a busy entry system. Now when I do this, it seems that literally everyone is in interceptors. This might sound like the ideal situation for a Taranis, split them up and kill them one by one.

This however does not seem possible anymore, the warp speed seems ridiculously quick, when a interceptor lands on grid it feels as if it just "spawns" right in front of you.

Does anyone feel the same? Do I just need more time? Normally when I resub from a while away, I lose 2-3 ships before I get a feel then i'm back on it. It just feels like that won't happen.

No doubt if anyone posts here that lives in provi knows I roam there frequently and have a blast, now I just go down and get blapped lol, would probably help if I stopped warping to the sun when I die but meehhhh :D :D

tl;dr : ceptor blobs everywhere, is solo frigate pvp nigh impossible? or just out of practice?



Fit a caracel with Rapid Lights and stabs in the lows and use yourself as bait. Intie tackles, nuke it and run off making Curly "woo woo woo " sounds in local.


Bring back DEEEEP Space!

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#10 - 2013-12-31 05:46:35 UTC
Well, to be fair... interceptors are technically frigates. Blink
PotatoOverdose
Royal Black Watch Highlanders
#11 - 2013-12-31 06:53:20 UTC
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: A great many pre-rubicon tactics and play styles no longer work thanks to the interceptor swarm. For what they do, Crows have way too much ******* ehp and way too little sig.

Blah blah blah adapt something something ******* crows everywhere. Especially for solo and very small groups, you have to build your entire strategy around dealing with the interceptor blob, which imo is simply boring.

Oh well, there are greener pastures these days and other ways to solo/small gang pvp. For now....
The Renner
Canadian Operations
#12 - 2013-12-31 07:27:17 UTC
Hey op, at least you took that condor down with you!

But yeah inty blobs are pretty much the default fleet comp for taking down solo intruders, with the warp speed changes bigger ships are just too slow, why use anything else really?
Azami Nevinyrall
172.0.0.1
#13 - 2013-12-31 07:56:38 UTC
You'll get pointed and held until Capital support arrives...

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with killing a fly with a sledgehammer...

...

Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-12-31 11:08:45 UTC
Clem Fandango
Doomheim
#15 - 2013-12-31 11:11:42 UTC
This is all part of CCP Rise's master plan to bring solo back.
Nimrod vanHall
Van Mij Belastingvrij
#16 - 2013-12-31 11:16:05 UTC
Azami Nevinyrall wrote:
You'll get pointed and held until Capital support arrives...

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with killing a fly with a sledgehammer...


amen!

If Brute force is not working your not applying enough of it!
Gibbo3771
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-12-31 11:52:59 UTC
The Renner wrote:
Hey op, at least you took that condor down with you!

But yeah inty blobs are pretty much the default fleet comp for taking down solo intruders, with the warp speed changes bigger ships are just too slow, why use anything else really?


Can I get some aloe vera?! :D

For the record I never "seen" that condor :p, I am having a terrible time trying to get back into it and my piloting is frikking terrible lol.
Sid Crash
#18 - 2013-12-31 12:10:45 UTC
You see, because of the cost of these new interceptors we expect that only the really wealthy alliances will have them, and even if they'll only have like 2 or 3 max so it'll never really become a balancing problem.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#19 - 2013-12-31 13:50:58 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So I am not sure if it is just me, I am just back from a 3-4 month break, before that I was away from Jan-June then back for a month or so. It feels as if the areas in which I used to roam are now "unroamable".

A little history about me before you start with the whole "adapt or die" bollocks.




Seriously. Adapt, or die.

The game has changed yet again. Hmm now let's see, how do I kill interceptors easily...
Gibbo3771
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-12-31 14:05:50 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So I am not sure if it is just me, I am just back from a 3-4 month break, before that I was away from Jan-June then back for a month or so. It feels as if the areas in which I used to roam are now "unroamable".

A little history about me before you start with the whole "adapt or die" bollocks.




Seriously. Adapt, or die.

The game has changed yet again. Hmm now let's see, how do I kill interceptors easily...


The game changes everytime I come back mate, I adapt just fine. I was merely asking if it was just me that was feeling the same.

I can easily kill an interceptor, what I can't kill is 20 of them with e-war frig support and bubbles everywhere. Which is all that exists, in every null.
12Next page