These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

So, I cant quit eve because....

Author
Fal Dara
Vortex Command Corporation
The Divine Warriors
#1 - 2013-12-30 10:33:30 UTC
I have been playing nearly 10 years and would feel too guilty to stop the training.

Current Skills: 363 (Skill Points: 160,507,697)

I have done nearly everything in this game, from mining in 2004 with frigs and cruisers...

to being part of an 'alliance' in querious before there were game mechanics to make it official...

to being a major person in a founding corporation of what became, at the time, a top-5 alliance (i was a recruiter, a director, and eventually CEO)...

ran my own industry 'hub' from a POS, making nearly 10b a month without undocking much at all...

dabbled in WH's where i became too terrified to move, and thus left...

to low sec PvP with some npc corp nubs, who really are the funnest people i have played with in more than 8 years... most of them have played less than 6 months, and are awesome.

BUT, i have also had some downsides.

I have been ganked multiple times carrying things, once in an AFK occator, the guy used over 30 fully insured ravens (back when insurance on a raven was a profitable loss), and once in a 1B+ pod, and another time in a 3.5b isk CNR... i could have rage quit at any of those times, and didnt--very nearly, but didnt.

I lost my first BS in 2004 hours after i built it (i spent months saving for it). i DID quit then, but came back with a bit more determination.

I have seen the best of EVE, and the WORST of it--including the people in it. I have flown every race of ship in every security of space, and ran every mission there is (including the Cosmos), mined every rock, built everything up to capitals, ganked, griefed, explored...

and every day, i still feel like i dont know enough about EVE...

so i keep playing.

The trick is, that playing eve is not about ease, or pleasure, or 'fun' in the traditional sense, EVE is ... about learning things, about growth, about grief and moving on--it sets childish things asside and makes you deal with the harshness of existing in a world full of very dangerous people. The funny thing is, it's terribly easy to become one of those terribly dangerous people, and justify what you are doing with good intentions.

I used to feel a terrible guilt for PvP ... like a theif, a murderer, a low life.

Then i met the Scope PvP group, and used all these years of what i know in EVE to help some new people, to pvp a little, to lose a LOT of isk... and i grew. I ended up having no problem with pvp, and justified it by ... havign fun with friends. I wasnt EVIL, i was helping!

... and that's sort of when i realized, when i got ganked for a 3.5b loss, that... they were only trying to help me.

So, i stayed. I have to, if i dont, my personal growth stops.

So, thanks EVE, for makin me feel too guilty to stop training...

why do YOU still play?
Dave Stark
#2 - 2013-12-30 10:43:23 UTC
Fal Dara wrote:
why do YOU still play?

cos eve is an awesome chatroom.
Fal Dara
Vortex Command Corporation
The Divine Warriors
#3 - 2013-12-30 10:47:57 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Fal Dara wrote:
why do YOU still play?

cos eve is an awesome chatroom.

and that's why i am in an NPC corp....
Annathalia Blood
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-12-30 11:00:39 UTC
I really enjoy excel with such great UI :)
ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-12-30 11:01:56 UTC
I don't know

Dodixie > Hek

Sol of Hek
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-12-30 11:02:30 UTC
Sick freak.
Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#7 - 2013-12-30 11:05:10 UTC
Only one thing you haven't done yet...... Thats to send me all your stuff and relax Twisted

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-12-30 11:05:22 UTC
The skill queue is like crack, and I am an addict. Oops

Not sure which path to take at the moment. My online time is irregular at best.
ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-12-30 11:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: ElQuirko
Sol of Hek wrote:
Sick freak.

Seriously? You're back? I'm actually quite disappointed. Straight

Dodixie > Hek

Annathalia Blood
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-12-30 11:22:31 UTC
Frank Millar wrote:

OH OH OH

And this one too!
Minty Aroma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-12-30 11:22:43 UTC
The harshness of life in New Eden makes real life look like a doddle! Even though it's just a game, it kind of puts things into perspective IRL once you start thinking of it as another mode of living.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#12 - 2013-12-30 11:23:18 UTC
Fal Dara wrote:

why do YOU still play?

My first couple of years as a solo player confirmed for me that masochism is not a mental problem but a valid way of living with an extended period of shoddy treatment, abuse coming from every direction without any specific enemy to locate and resist leaves only response as an option. All you can do is paint a target on your forehead and embrace the worst the environment can throw at you. Eve rewards this richly.
The latter couple years have shown me that anything can be fun with the right company, even mining or burning structures. There really are people out there who are gratified by sharing their insight or by brightening your day with joy and malice.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Big Lynx
#13 - 2013-12-30 11:24:36 UTC
Fal Dara wrote:
I

why do YOU still play?

chatting, trolling, smack talk.... better than facebook
Amhra Rho
Accujac Elimination
#14 - 2013-12-30 11:24:45 UTC
Because Eve is complex, multi-faceted, and interesting enough to serve as a fully functional alternative life. I've tried the others, and they're not Eve.

There's real reasons why your Eve character doesn't do /dance.

Big Lynx
#15 - 2013-12-30 11:29:52 UTC
Amhra Rho wrote:
and interesting enough to serve as a fully functional alternative life.

hmm
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#16 - 2013-12-30 11:35:17 UTC
Frank Millar wrote:

Not sure which path to take at the moment. My online time is irregular at best.

I know your pain, I get very little space time myself. Best I've found is to do a little PvE when the time is available just to get out of station.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#17 - 2013-12-30 11:38:08 UTC
Fal Dara wrote:
why do YOU still play?

Because everything else is a cheap WoW clone, and I hate WoW and all of the crushing banality that it stands for.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-12-30 11:43:29 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
Fal Dara wrote:
why do YOU still play?

Because everything else is a cheap WoW clone, and I hate WoW and all of the crushing banality that it stands for.

This.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#19 - 2013-12-30 12:34:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Play? I'm too busy hitting refresh in GD to play. Refresh is my d-scan.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2013-12-30 12:37:27 UTC
That's a hell of a lot of exposition for a simple question.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

123Next pageLast page