These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why can't you hire crew?

Author
Derek xStarbuckx
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-12-27 12:30:52 UTC
Its actually surprising that Eve hasn't put much attention in this aspect of the game. '

Hiring crew members. Maybe specific ships would require a certain amount of hands on board to operate.The bigger the ship the more crew members you need hired

This could also provide a host of new skill sets where your crew can provide bonus's to different aspects of your ship.

Lastly. it just seems weird that I'm piloting a giant spaceship by myself.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-12-27 12:31:24 UTC
You do.
They come with the ship.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Derek xStarbuckx
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-12-27 12:34:22 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You do.
They come with the ship.

Can you prove it? Cause I don't remember paying anyone.
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#4 - 2013-12-27 12:38:55 UTC
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You do.
They come with the ship.

Its included in the cost of the ship itself :P

According to Lore almost all ships have a crew, you just dont interact with them and most of them will go down with the ship when the ship explodes, i dont think this will change :)
Derek xStarbuckx
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-12-27 12:52:17 UTC
Cypherous wrote:
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You do.
They come with the ship.

According to Lore almost all ships have a crew, you just dont interact with them and most of them will go down with the ship when the ship explodes, i dont think this will change :)

Just seems weird with how deep EVE is that they wouldn't include some kind of crew aspect to the game.
Dextrome Thorphan
#6 - 2013-12-27 12:57:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Dextrome Thorphan
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
Cypherous wrote:
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You do.
They come with the ship.

Just seems weird with how deep EVE is that they wouldn't include some kind of crew aspect to the game.

Uhmm, but he just explained to you there IS a crew, you just don't interact with them.

As a sidenote though, I wouldn't mind seeing some crew interaction like you suggested. Or even the possibiity to board other players' ships at the risk of your character getting blown up :p
Noddy Comet
Lysdexic Agnostics - Thier is no Dog
#7 - 2013-12-27 13:01:25 UTC

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/New_Eden_crew_guidelines

There ya go.

[i]"The biggest problem with quotes on the Internet, is that just because it's on the Internet too many believe them to be real" -[/i]Abraham Lincoln's "Berlin Wall" speech at the 1984 Winter Olympics.

Scott DTA
Knights of Civilization
#8 - 2013-12-27 13:02:09 UTC
I would like to see little escape pods fly out of my ship right before it explodes, save the crew, think of the little people.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#9 - 2013-12-27 13:02:47 UTC
I imagined a bunch of drones floating about inside the hull myself.

My 'crew' was a drone maintenance compliment that interfaced with the ship like my pod does.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

BattlefieldDoktor
Stromberg Erze GmbH
#10 - 2013-12-27 13:08:54 UTC
Noddy Comet
Lysdexic Agnostics - Thier is no Dog
#11 - 2013-12-27 13:11:46 UTC
Scott DTA wrote:
I would like to see little escape pods fly out of my ship right before it explodes, save the crew, think of the little people.

They knew what they signed up for.. well mostly, unless you're flying a ship who's race endorses slavery. Twisted

[i]"The biggest problem with quotes on the Internet, is that just because it's on the Internet too many believe them to be real" -[/i]Abraham Lincoln's "Berlin Wall" speech at the 1984 Winter Olympics.

flakeys
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-12-27 13:18:11 UTC
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You do.
They come with the ship.

Who else presses the emergency buttton for the hull/armor damage alert? Shocked

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Cyber SGB
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-12-27 13:30:07 UTC
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:
Its actually surprising that Eve hasn't put much attention in this aspect of the game. '

Hiring crew members. Maybe specific ships would require a certain amount of hands on board to operate.The bigger the ship the more crew members you need hired

This could also provide a host of new skill sets where your crew can provide bonus's to different aspects of your ship.

Read some lore, and you'll know about the crew.

There's already skills for shields, armor, navigation, etc. Crew skills would just be unnecessary fluff. Hiring crew would just be unnecessary fluff. Next you'll be wanting to provide housing for the crew. Games for the crew. Babysitting for the crew's children.

I write Kindle books. Visit my author page. http://amazon.com/author/sgbynum

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-12-27 13:33:03 UTC
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:

You've been playing too much X-Afterbirth

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#15 - 2013-12-27 13:36:04 UTC
Well, I personally can't hire crew because word has got around I keep taking them to Blood Parties at Omir Sarikusa's house.

This is of course unsubstantiated rumour.

I know my rights.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Vidua Arte Album
Epic Boo Bees
#16 - 2013-12-27 13:36:12 UTC
Cyber SGB wrote:
Derek xStarbuckx wrote:

Read some lore, and you'll know about the crew.

There's already skills for shields, armor, navigation, etc. Crew skills would just be unnecessary fluff. Hiring crew would just be unnecessary fluff. Next you'll be wanting to provide housing for the crew. Games for the crew. Babysitting for the crew's children.
I DEMAND KINDERGARTEN ON EVERY SHIP!!!! STOP THE OPPRESSION!!!
Grey Azorria
Federation Industries
#17 - 2013-12-27 13:39:44 UTC
To much realism is a bad thing in a video game - anything crew related would most likely be tedious fluff that just adds to the list of stuff that sets old players apart from new (spoiler alert: we really don't need anymore of that)

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sometimes when I post, I look at my sig and wish that I'd follow my own god damned advice.

Derek xStarbuckx
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-12-27 13:41:52 UTC
BattlefieldDoktor wrote:

I wish I could make those slaves toil away on my shipSad
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#19 - 2013-12-27 14:22:10 UTC
Sometimes I talk to and/or scream at my crew. But anyone nearby just thinks I screaming irrationally and insanely at an imaginary friend.

I'm really not crazy. Of course, that is exactly what a crazy person would say though right?

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#20 - 2013-12-27 14:26:01 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:

I'm really not crazy. Of course, that is exactly what a crazy person would say though right?

No, THIS is what a crazy person would say;

"“These people remain here because I have thoroughly opened to them the seven seals.”

-David Koresh

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

123Next pageLast page