These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thanks Yule Lads - You've lost me around 200 Million ISK . . . . . .

First post First post
Author
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#41 - 2013-12-24 17:52:29 UTC
All responses in this thread that are not 'LOL@OP' are wrong.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#42 - 2013-12-24 18:03:36 UTC
Actually ******* with the markets like this is a very bad precedent and again puts the lie to the sandbox. CCP has no business directly influencing markets like this.

Amusingly, many of the people going LOL@op are the same ones who screamed the loudest when CCP looked like it might start spawning ships in people hangers for money.

The real truth of EvE is this: No one gives a **** until it effects them.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#43 - 2013-12-24 18:04:24 UTC
Quote:
Oh, that's right. "Prices can go down as well as up". Bad luck on your poor investment and inattention to the advent calendar - a good tycoon woulda spotted that and offloaded as fast as possible.

Prices should go down due to ingame and potentially predictable factors that can be exploited by intelligent people, not by random christmas gifts.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#44 - 2013-12-24 19:07:14 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
The real truth of EvE is this: No one gives a **** until it effects them.

Anyone who's been playing EVE longer than a year or so has been smacked by the metagame at one point or another.
Logical 101
PowerCow Farm
#45 - 2013-12-24 19:24:02 UTC
The market for fancy pants has gone all topsy turvey?

Say it ain't so! Because if it is, I think we might be facing a game-breaking situation here.
Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-12-24 19:24:45 UTC
You know, this is why I never set high volume buy orders on anything. Game developers change stuff like the rarity/power/leetness of items ALL THE BLOODY time. What's rare/powerful/leet one day can be crap the other... This is hardly news.

Also: whine more about your loss of a bit of pocket money...
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#47 - 2013-12-24 19:29:33 UTC
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

-- Miranda Priestly
Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-12-24 19:31:20 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Quote:
Oh, that's right. "Prices can go down as well as up". Bad luck on your poor investment and inattention to the advent calendar - a good tycoon woulda spotted that and offloaded as fast as possible.

Prices should go down due to ingame and potentially predictable factors that can be exploited by intelligent people, not by random christmas gifts.

These fashion trinklets are prolly one of the most risky long term investments you can make. For starters, they make great gifts, CCP handing out some of them was bound to happen sooner or later. What's also bound to happen sooner or later is that CCP will expand the available items. Any turd can predict the effect this will have on the price of the already existing items: those will go down...

Simply don't over invest in any item or any category of items...
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#49 - 2013-12-24 19:50:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Demica Diaz
In a way I do agree with OP that it is kinda lame that you get your stuff up and selling and then CCP throws everyone that item for free. So I can see why it is not fair. CCP said themselves that they have quite a collection of clothes and we see many of them in market browser which are not even released yet. Why not give us something that isnt in game already. Would be "fair" to everyone. On the other hand, it is 200 million so loss isnt really that big, so you can recover from it. Bear
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#50 - 2013-12-24 20:26:38 UTC
Quote:
These fashion trinklets are prolly one of the most risky long term investments you can make. For starters, they make great gifts, CCP handing out some of them was bound to happen sooner or later. What's also bound to happen sooner or later is that CCP will expand the available items. Any turd can predict the effect this will have on the price of the already existing items: those will go down...

Maybe, but if they altered the availability or the power of an item, there's at least a time period during which the market adjusts that traders can cut their losses. What happened here is that CCP just seeded these things to the market without warning which is naturally going to cause problems in low-volume markets.

Christmas gifts should either be given in small enough volumes that it does not meaningfully impact the wider market, or should be unique things that won't crash existing markets.

Alternatively, the stuff that will be given out should be announced in advance so it can be planned for.
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#51 - 2013-12-24 20:28:15 UTC
Jenny Tailia wrote:
Amhra Rho wrote:
The claim that CCP is dominating the market with Christmas gifts is vastly overblown. Supply and demand is a very simple rule. Today, there's an oversupply. In three weeks, there will be an overabundance of demand.

Sell your stuff in three weeks.

Doesn't work like that with clothing items. They can never be destroyed as such. You buy one, wear it as long as you want then when you desire a change you can just repackage and re-sell it. Now there are over 300,000 of these items in game in a market where only around a dozen or so are traded each week.

Basically they are now worthless.

To me they still are worthless, i'm playing internet spaceships not internet barbie, i would have sold the other clothes but they didn't seem worth enough to bother wasting the time right clicking them to sell them :P

Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-12-24 20:37:51 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Quote:

Maybe, but if they altered the availability or the power of an item, there's at least a time period during which the market adjusts that traders can cut their losses. What happened here is that CCP just seeded these things to the market without warning which is naturally going to cause problems in low-volume markets.

Christmas gifts should either be given in small enough volumes that it does not meaningfully impact the wider market, or should be unique things that won't crash existing markets.

Alternatively, the stuff that will be given out should be announced in advance so it can be planned for.

Announcing such things leads to the same: price crash...

I think the OP is more butt hurt about her market has been destroyed than over the fact that she lost 200 million btw. It's something all traders get to deal with sooner or later though so HTFU.
Shadow Love
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#53 - 2013-12-24 20:55:37 UTC
Looks like OP really lost his shirt on this deal.
Cool

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Logical 101
PowerCow Farm
#54 - 2013-12-24 21:02:15 UTC
Shadow Love wrote:
Looks like OP really lost his shirt on this deal.

Pure Sheogorath.

Well done.
TharOkha
0asis Group
#55 - 2013-12-24 21:36:08 UTC
Cypherous wrote:
Jenny Tailia wrote:
Amhra Rho wrote:
The claim that CCP is dominating the market with Christmas gifts is vastly overblown. Supply and demand is a very simple rule. Today, there's an oversupply. In three weeks, there will be an overabundance of demand.

Sell your stuff in three weeks.

Doesn't work like that with clothing items. They can never be destroyed as such. You buy one, wear it as long as you want then when you desire a change you can just repackage and re-sell it. Now there are over 300,000 of these items in game in a market where only around a dozen or so are traded each week.

Basically they are now worthless.

To me they still are worthless, i'm playing internet spaceships not internet barbie, i would have sold the other clothes but they didn't seem worth enough to bother wasting the time right clicking them to sell them :P

if someone trade with NEX store goods doesnt mean that he also uses those goods. I think that OP is right. I dont care about worthless stuff like micro warp drives t1. But if there is some rare items ingame and CCP flloods market with them then its not fair.

Do you remember Somer and free Ishuoke Scorpions?
Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
#56 - 2013-12-24 21:55:28 UTC
Jenny Tailia wrote:
So I trade in fashion items across various regions and have buy orders in for certain items, the value of which lies in their general scarcity. My buy orders for two items were set at around 3 million to 6 million each, again across various regions.

Lo and behold I log in this morning to find every buy order has been filled and now I realize every account in Eve now has one of these 'rare' items therefore completely crashing the market!

So thanks to this nice gift you decide to give everybody I'm out of pocket to the tune of 200 million isk and stuck with a load of virtually worthless items, thanks for that one CCP!

I too had a stack of them in inventory, but only ended up losing about as much as you and didn't give this a second thought. I just jumped in and filled most of the buy orders I could find at 1-2m (there were many of these available well after the gifting) that were remaining to reduce my losses. You can even currently buy a bunch of these for under 1m to fulfill the many buy orders in Jita which are around 1.3m if you want to take advantage of the situation. I also made a good amount of ISK from selling my stack of Mysterio White/Black boots that also tripled in value overnight.

This isn't anywhere as big as the huge pile of Executor Red/Golds that dropped from 300m to almost nothing overnight when the Nex store was updated a couple of years ago. Even though many of us lost billions this was easily overshadowed by the Ishikone goof which CCP later fixed. Seriously not a big deal and this is part of the risk and fun of being a trader.

Please don't whine when the sleeves drop to a fraction of their prices since CCP has clearly stated that they will be available to the public again in the future.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#57 - 2013-12-24 23:04:06 UTC
if you are that broken up about it, remember this, we get new capsuleers every day. capsuleers that don't have coats. space is harsh and cold. they should have coats. you could be like the goodwill store of new eden making sure these new citizens have clothes on their backs. the gods smile on a charitable soul.
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-12-24 23:07:44 UTC
200M... STFU!

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#59 - 2013-12-24 23:11:57 UTC
Jenny Tailia wrote:
So I trade in fashion items across various regions and have buy orders in for certain items, the value of which lies in their general scarcity. My buy orders for two items were set at around 3 million to 6 million each, again across various regions.

Lo and behold I log in this morning to find every buy order has been filled and now I realize every account in Eve now has one of these 'rare' items therefore completely crashing the market!

If you've got a business, you didn't build that!
But thanks for buying my junk =)

I'll say though, that's what happens when you market non-consumables. Been playing mmo's since UO launched (MUD's before then), much crafting and trading, now you've learnt a basic lesson most have learnt over the years, or at least what can happen when you deal with non-consumables. Yes, get rich quick schemes sometimes fail, it's the risk of trading, you can only blame yourself.

—Ω—

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#60 - 2013-12-24 23:27:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
You should be grateful we didn't get free GA 3/4, sleeve tattoos and cybernetic arms - yet. Dear devs like to ruin in-game so-called "free" market.

P.S. 200 millions? I didn't get ~6 billions profit from my investments into PLEX because there were non-stop "real life" plex/gtc sales in Sept-Nov with up to 95% discounts. Lesson: do not invest into government's bonds.