These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Collision Damage

Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#161 - 2013-12-23 22:43:57 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
I like the idea of having shields bump you away, but if your shields are 0 and the person your bumping into shields are 0, you should be able to ram them.

This is actually a pretty nice solution to the un-docking problem, which is by far the biggest issue. Both parties would pretty much need to be engaged in a fight if both their shields were down and they were next to each other in the first place. Damage would be based upon the mass and transversal velocity of both parties. Internal bump mechanics would basically look the same, except ships would get a lot closer. The same amount of damage should be applied to both parties as well, which would make battleships steel roll smaller ships while surviving, but most likely doing a decent bit of damage. I would envision a simple rule of thumb would be a MWD frigate colliding with a cruiser would cut the cruiser armor in half, a MWD cruiser would cut the armor of a battleship in half, and so on, depending on mass of course.

I wouldn't add any modules to make this tactic something that would be widely used, id envision it more of a "I have nothing to lose" kind of tactic, or something you might see used against capitals that don't have sub cap support.

With shields constantly regenerating, even in the absence of a booster, they never actually are zero long enough to coincide with an actual collision.

Lets say, and this would be an exaggeration that favors the chances of this happening, that a ship low on shields and taking armor damage, is actually at true zero for one moment out of ten.
Now, lets say two ships, both needing to meet this detail, are experiencing the same chances, one in ten.
The chances of both being true zero with shields at the same time would be one in one hundred.

Now, lets take it another step, and say they are running at each other. The timing for this intersection can be exaggerated to be 10% of the time.

That still equates to a one in ten chance for that, but added to the chances of intersecting while both ships are at zero shields? Well, three coinciding one in ten probabilities is the same as saying one in one thousand.

Unless the shields can be manually dropped on both ships, or ignored, they are too improbable to be considered non-existent at the moment of impact.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#162 - 2013-12-23 22:46:59 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I cannot think of many weapon systems this vulnerable to being countered, and beaten, by a pilot forewarned to expect it.

If you expect and try hard enough to see something, you probably will. But that won't give you an objective result, simply the one you expected.

I will grant you, under the right circumstances this can be effective. That does not make it overpowered, or even unique.
Add to this the fitting sacrifices required, and the vulnerabilities that result, and many would describe it as being underpowered.

I would ask that you be more open minded, and keep in mind the limits of this weapon system along with the strengths.

I'm open minded by nature, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time discussing this with you. I really tried to see some advantages on your idea. I pointed out the 400 points rig as a good idea (wich in your idea is not even a rig) and tried I to argue with you considering a double webbed shield tank ship (wich is an unusual, if not utterly failed fit).
The problem here is your 'module' idea is flawed in it's basic principles: it uses an exclusive fitting system, it prevents players from making fitting choices (there's only a single effective fit, that is full armor kin resists) and it makes a defensive system type completely useless (shields, unless the ship fits webs wich also makes it less effective). I didn't even mentioned the fact it does not take ship speed and mass into consideration. That makes a 10m/s hit as destructive as a 100 or 1000m/s hit, wich looks strange.

Yes, like you said, it can only be effective in a few situations, does that makes it a good module? I don't think so. Specially if the existence of such a module makes the staging of this situation a priority for winning a battle.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#163 - 2013-12-23 23:13:29 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I cannot think of many weapon systems this vulnerable to being countered, and beaten, by a pilot forewarned to expect it.

If you expect and try hard enough to see something, you probably will. But that won't give you an objective result, simply the one you expected.

I will grant you, under the right circumstances this can be effective. That does not make it overpowered, or even unique.
Add to this the fitting sacrifices required, and the vulnerabilities that result, and many would describe it as being underpowered.

I would ask that you be more open minded, and keep in mind the limits of this weapon system along with the strengths.

I'm open minded by nature, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time discussing this with you. I really tried to see some advantages on your idea. I pointed out the 400 points rig as a good idea (wich in your idea is not even a rig) and tried I to argue with you considering a double webbed shield tank ship (wich is an unusual, if not utterly failed fit).
The problem here is your 'module' idea is flawed in it's basic principles: it uses an exclusive fitting system, it prevents players from making fitting choices (there's only a single effective fit, that is full armor kin resists) and it makes a defensive system type completely useless (shields, unless the ship fits webs wich also makes it less effective). I didn't even mentioned the fact it does not take ship speed and mass into consideration. That makes a 10m/s hit as destructive as a 100 or 1000m/s hit, wich looks strange.

Yes, like you said, it can only be effective in a few situations, does that makes it a good module? I don't think so. Specially if the existence of such a module makes the staging of this situation a priority for winning a battle.

Ok, taking the last point first.
This is NOT a collision mechanic. I don't know how often I can point this out. Speed is not a factor in damage application once contact is established.
This is a module that uses a ships inertial dampeners as a weapon, rather than simply cushioning out g-forces on fragile structures, like a human body. The ships in EVE need these by default, as even indestructible ships bouncing off each other are changing direction in a manner that would stress a living body into pulp.

Point two, in order to balance something you already are suggesting as being overpowered, a ship using this device cannot fit any other primary direct weapon system.
Your complaint that it does too much damage with "kamikaze" attacks seems at odds with the complaint that a ship cannot fit even more DPS.

Your characterization of the attacks as being kamikaze to begin with. Only a fail fit ship would even be severely incapacitated by the use of this. And at no point would this be able to destroy the ship mounting it. Kamikaze is pretty specific to suicidal, while at worst this makes the pilot more vulnerable to counter attack.

As to staging the circumstances, this seems confused. If you mean by fitting a ship, everyone should do so with deliberation.
If you mean needing multiple additional pilots to support you, no, not at all. Your examples where a tackle held down a battleship so two of these mounted on cruisers would insta gank it was rather contrived, but also went in the wrong direction, tactically.

If you want to gank something, you do so across or down a size category, not up. The web is there along with the prop mods to make it possible. And like any other gank, you won't be bringing something new into EVE with a non consensual kill mail, but you have a higher than typical chance of being countered attempting it.

Cheers!
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#164 - 2013-12-23 23:32:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This is NOT a collision mechanic. I don't know how often I can point this out. Speed is not a factor in damage application once contact is established.
This is a module that uses a ships inertial dampeners as a weapon, rather than simply cushioning out g-forces on fragile structures, like a human body.

Then why it does Kin damage?
EDIT: And why does the attacking ship takes damage too?
EDIT 2: And why does it go straight through shields? How dampeners are able to bypass another ship's defense systems?

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#165 - 2013-12-24 00:44:15 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

If there is to be damage, it should be applied fairly and equally to all ships based on the masses and velocities involved in each collision .. or not at all.

I also think ships shouldn't collide the way they do without damaging each other. It's impractical to introduce global collision damage so they shouldn't be colliding. Maybe ships in collision trajectory should have their speed lowered automatically? Make it so only the smaller ships reduce their speed so people don't abuse this feature? Make it available only in highsec and in low/nullsec full collision damage is applied? There would still be the who aggressed who problem.

Multiple station undock points, undock queues, and a mandatory collision avoidance active in high sec have all been suggested already. Add to that the inability to manually pilot toward any station undock point, and that should fix any undock collision concerns. I also suggest station undock cameras so that docked players can see where any congestion points are locked in space just outside the station.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#166 - 2013-12-24 01:48:09 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This is a module that uses a ships inertial dampeners as a weapon, rather than simply cushioning out g-forces on fragile structures, like a human body.

EDIT 2: And why does it go straight through shields? How dampeners are able to bypass another ship's defense systems?

It does kinetic damage, since that is the type of damage normally neutralized by inertial dampeners.
Kinetic meaning "Of, relating to, or produced by motion." Here

It does flash damage in order to overwhelm the opposing inertial dampeners on the opposing ship. Due to the raw and deliberate nature of this energy, which is specifically calibrated to overwhelm this system, some blowback affects the source ship as well.
It uses the same systems which normally compensate for motion to create it violently instead.

It bypasses the shields as a lesser function of overwhelming the inertial dampeners. By changing the resonant frequency of the shields to match the target vessel's, the target vessel mistakes the shields of the attacking ship as an interlaced shield extension, and temporarily merges the shielding, thus bypassing any barrier functionality they might otherwise have.

The entire function of both dampener override and shield bypass, are functions of the attacking ship temporarily spoofing these systems on the target vessel. The blowback is specifically because this spoofing cannot be localized to the target ship without giving that ship time to block it as well. These are normally foolproof safety measures, after all.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#167 - 2013-12-24 02:05:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

It does kinetic damage, since that is the type of damage normally neutralized by inertial dampeners.

It does flash damage in order to overwhelm the opposing inertial dampeners on the opposing ship. Due to the raw and deliberate nature of this energy, which is specifically calibrated to overwhelm this system, some blowback affects the source ship as well.
It uses the same systems which normally compensate for motion to create it violently instead.

It bypasses the shields as a lesser function of overwhelming the inertial dampeners. By changing the resonant frequency of the shields to match the target vessel's, the target vessel mistakes the shields of the attacking ship as an interlaced shield extension, and temporarily merges the shielding, thus bypassing any barrier functionality they might otherwise have.

The entire function of both dampener override and shield bypass, are functions of the attacking ship temporarily spoofing these systems on the target vessel. The blowback is specifically because this spoofing cannot be localized to the target ship without giving that ship time to block it as well. These are normally foolproof safety measures, after all.

So it's a ship bear hug? What is flash damage btw? Why not simply put this "resonant frequency changer" on a missile warhead and make it go straight to armor too?

EDIT: And Merry Christmas for you, whoever you are behind this virtual persona.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#168 - 2013-12-24 02:09:57 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

If there is to be damage, it should be applied fairly and equally to all ships based on the masses and velocities involved in each collision .. or not at all.

I also think ships shouldn't collide the way they do without damaging each other. It's impractical to introduce global collision damage so they shouldn't be colliding. Maybe ships in collision trajectory should have their speed lowered automatically? Make it so only the smaller ships reduce their speed so people don't abuse this feature? Make it available only in highsec and in low/nullsec full collision damage is applied? There would still be the who aggressed who problem.

Multiple station undock points, undock queues, and a mandatory collision avoidance active in high sec have all been suggested already. Add to that the inability to manually pilot toward any station undock point, and that should fix any undock collision concerns. I also suggest station undock cameras so that docked players can see where any congestion points are locked in space just outside the station.

Let's say we change that and there's still congestion outside every undock point. Jita would probably have. You can't have many undock points on a station as this would break many aspects of the present gameplay. The way I see there is no way to implement global collision damage without changing basic aspects of the game. I don't think that is a bad thing, but if the change is too radical you got to consider if it is worth the trouble.

Merry Christmas.

Sakura Kouvo
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#169 - 2013-12-24 06:45:19 UTC
Have we gotten past the point of the whole "you can only ram when you're in armor"?

If we haven't, then I hope you all know that the shields of our ships are made out of pure energy. If something small (a frigate) were to collide into something substantially larger than it (a battleship), the smaller ship would be destroyed since the larger ships shields are stronger than the smaller ships total HP. Of course, if something like a frigate were to ram a cruiser, both of them would take substantial damage since they don't differ much in size.

Tl;dr version: Any small ship would not be able to handle a larger ships shields, and would be killed. I.e: Rifters crashing into an Obelisk. Legions crashing into Leviathans. Also, if a ship crashes into something not much larger then it, both would take significant damage.

Now, onto the high sec crashing problem.

All of our ships are equipped with crash prevention systems, which is why our ships do not take damage on contact when we bump another ship. Same way safety works in game. The ship turns off the weapons system to anything neutral to it, preventing harm to your ship, or the other players ship. The crash prevention systems would be online at all times in high-sec, and could be turned off when you reach low or null sec.

Tl:dr version: Crash prevention systems protect our ships as of this moment. We can turn them off when we reach low/null sec.

I'm 13 and I play EVE. I hope that doesn't change the way you fly in fleets with me. :3

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#170 - 2013-12-24 07:23:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Nag'o wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

I already listed several ways to deal with global collision damage. Are there any issues with fairness with any of those points?

I can tell you right now that there is definitely an issue of fairness with a ramming module which deals more damage to the other ship than to its own ship. If damage is to be done, it should be done according to the amount of kinetic energy transferred to it which will come from any losses to kinetic energy and non-elastic momentum equations.

My collision avoidance system is based on the ship's computer deciding when the ship must change the velocity in order to minimize any collisions. Being forced on in high sec, the ship's computer will prevent any manual flying directions which move the ship into the path of another player or which get in the way of the undock channels. Outside of high sec, the system may be turned off. It might be linked to the existing safety system.

Added:
I should probably add that if every ship has the collision avoidance systems on (turning it off in high sec would be considered an exploit), and undocking is metered according to ship max speed with undocks for slower ships and other undocks for faster ones, then there should be very little or no collision damage in high sec and therefore Concord may ignore any collision damage.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#171 - 2013-12-24 13:00:14 UTC
Sakura Kouvo wrote:
Have we gotten past the point of the whole "you can only ram when you're in armor"?

If we haven't, then I hope you all know that the shields of our ships are made out of pure energy. If something small (a frigate) were to collide into something substantially larger than it (a battleship), the smaller ship would be destroyed since the larger ships shields are stronger than the smaller ships total HP. Of course, if something like a frigate were to ram a cruiser, both of them would take substantial damage since they don't differ much in size.

Tl;dr version: Any small ship would not be able to handle a larger ships shields, and would be killed. I.e: Rifters crashing into an Obelisk. Legions crashing into Leviathans. Also, if a ship crashes into something not much larger then it, both would take significant damage.

Now, onto the high sec crashing problem.

All of our ships are equipped with crash prevention systems, which is why our ships do not take damage on contact when we bump another ship. Same way safety works in game. The ship turns off the weapons system to anything neutral to it, preventing harm to your ship, or the other players ship. The crash prevention systems would be online at all times in high-sec, and could be turned off when you reach low or null sec.

Tl:dr version: Crash prevention systems protect our ships as of this moment. We can turn them off when we reach low/null sec.

Yeah, right now I believe the best format for a ramming module is a cruiser exclusive propulsion module, similar to the MJD, that does EM/Kin damage on impact. This damage is based on speed and ship mass at the time of the impact and it damages whatever it hits, be it shield or armor. It could damage the ship using it too, but I didn't gave much tought to how this damage could be applied.

A global collision mechanic, even if it works only in low/nullsec, still has the problem of how to determine who gets an aggression timer when it happens.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#172 - 2013-12-24 13:11:43 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

I already listed several ways to deal with global collision damage. Are there any issues with fairness with any of those points?

I can tell you right now that there is definitely an issue of fairness with a ramming module which deals more damage to the other ship than to its own ship. If damage is to be done, it should be done according to the amount of kinetic energy transferred to it which will come from any losses to kinetic energy and non-elastic momentum equations.

My collision avoidance system is based on the ship's computer deciding when the ship must change the velocity in order to minimize any collisions. Being forced on in high sec, the ship's computer will prevent any manual flying directions which move the ship into the path of another player or which get in the way of the undock channels. Outside of high sec, the system may be turned off. It might be linked to the existing safety system.

Added:
I should probably add that if every ship has the collision avoidance systems on (turning it off in high sec would be considered an exploit), and undocking is metered according to ship max speed with undocks for slower ships and other undocks for faster ones, then there should be very little or no collision damage in high sec and therefore Concord may ignore any collision damage.

Why is it unfair? Think about it gameplay-wise, remember this is not a simulator so, although a considerable degree of realism is desirable, gameplay should always come before it. If a player dedicates a mid slot for such a module and has to use his ability to make it effective then why should he take the same amount of damage? Think about a battering ram. It does not receive the same amount of damage as the rammed object because it's fit for this purpose.

Also, sorry I didn't saw your proposed idea for the agression timer. Who get's a criminal flag in a collision, be it in high or lowsec? I like the idea of different undocks for different ship sizes. It could be cool, even if not implemented with the purpose of fixing a possible collision problem.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#173 - 2013-12-24 14:59:55 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

So it's a ship bear hug? What is flash damage btw? Why not simply put this "resonant frequency changer" on a missile warhead and make it go straight to armor too?

EDIT: And Merry Christmas for you, whoever you are behind this virtual persona.

Merry Christmas to you too, Nag'o, and anyone else reading this who enjoys the holiday as well.

Ok, I will clarify these terms, as I sometimes make the mistake of assuming others can read minds.

Bear hug? A bit vague, but in a way, yes. It applies physical damage using leverage, like a bear does when attacking this way.

The flash aspect is a reference to the speed at which the damage is delivered.
In order to avoid being canceled, the way it would normally be, the inertial dampeners of the attacking ship are instead reversing their normal role to prevent damage.
Explanation:
Inertial dampeners are insanely fast, bordering on being perfectly instantaneous in their reaction time. This permits ships to change directions without making any crew into omelettes and the pod pilot into a large paintball.
Because of this speed, only another set of inertial dampeners have any chance of outperforming them, as is necessary for this type of attack to work.
Because of the speed required, the effect being isolated to the target ship would require additional time, which would also allow the target ship's inertial dampeners to compensate and negate the damage entirely.
This speed requirement also requires every possible contact component to be used as a focused transmission point for the energy, so it can be directed as much as possible towards the target ship's structure.

(The armor is NOT the intended target, but the designers believe it is impossible to bypass solid physical objects the way they did with the shields, since matter is more resistant to being passed through. So the armor still absorbs impact as normal)

IF missiles had shields, and a CPU capable of spoofing a target into believing that it's shields were also the missiles shields, then yes, the missile could bypass a target's shields as well.

While developers have considered a missile with the shield bypassing aspect, the weapon cost was considered prohibitive as the same result and more effective direction was found to be simply increasing the raw yield of the missile itself.

Bonus answer:
The damage being inflicted relies on the physical armor and hull structure of the host ship, to act as a kind of leverage. Missiles lack this leveraging structure, so cannot use this inertial attack type.
Oh, they obviously already make bigger missiles, and the idea that frigate size torpedoes will exist is simply waiting on the demand for them first.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#174 - 2013-12-24 16:36:39 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Merry Christmas to you too, Nag'o, and anyone else reading this who enjoys the holiday as well.

Ok, I will clarify these terms, as I sometimes make the mistake of assuming others can read minds.

Bear hug? A bit vague, but in a way, yes. It applies physical damage using leverage, like a bear does when attacking this way.

The flash aspect is a reference to the speed at which the damage is delivered.
In order to avoid being canceled, the way it would normally be, the inertial dampeners of the attacking ship are instead reversing their normal role to prevent damage.
Explanation:
Inertial dampeners are insanely fast, bordering on being perfectly instantaneous in their reaction time. This permits ships to change directions without making any crew into omelettes and the pod pilot into a large paintball.
Because of this speed, only another set of inertial dampeners have any chance of outperforming them, as is necessary for this type of attack to work.
Because of the speed required, the effect being isolated to the target ship would require additional time, which would also allow the target ship's inertial dampeners to compensate and negate the damage entirely.
This speed requirement also requires every possible contact component to be used as a focused transmission point for the energy, so it can be directed as much as possible towards the target ship's structure.

(The armor is NOT the intended target, but the designers believe it is impossible to bypass solid physical objects the way they did with the shields, since matter is more resistant to being passed through. So the armor still absorbs impact as normal)

IF missiles had shields, and a CPU capable of spoofing a target into believing that it's shields were also the missiles shields, then yes, the missile could bypass a target's shields as well.

While developers have considered a missile with the shield bypassing aspect, the weapon cost was considered prohibitive as the same result and more effective direction was found to be simply increasing the raw yield of the missile itself.

Bonus answer:
The damage being inflicted relies on the physical armor and hull structure of the host ship, to act as a kind of leverage. Missiles lack this leveraging structure, so cannot use this inertial attack type.
Oh, they obviously already make bigger missiles, and the idea that frigate size torpedoes will exist is simply waiting on the demand for them first.

Your concept fails in one crucial point. Although EVE universe uses liquid physics there is no gravity forces pulling or pushing objects around. An "inertial dampener" like you describe would have little effect on a ship's crew state. The system you describe seems more like the one from a scythed chariot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythed_chariot . A melee weapon mounted on the ship hull. Although they don't damage the ship itself we already have something similar with smartbombs. What you're suggesting is a 0km range smartbomb that activates on contact and that also damages the ship itself. It's like, a dumb bomb.

Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#175 - 2013-12-24 16:56:04 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Unless the shields can be manually dropped on both ships, or ignored, they are too improbable to be considered non-existent at the moment of impact.

Change it to coalition damage when shields are under 5% then. Fixes the issue right there.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#176 - 2013-12-24 16:56:32 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Your concept fails in one crucial point. Although EVE universe uses liquid physics there is no gravity forces pulling or pushing objects around. An "inertial dampener" like you describe would have little effect on a ship's crew state. The system you describe seems more like the one from a scythed chariot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythed_chariot . A melee weapon mounted on the ship hull. Although they don't damage the ship itself we already have something similar with smartbombs. What you're suggesting is a 0km range smartbomb that activates on contact and that also damages the ship itself. It's like, a dumb bomb.

Never said gravity.

Inertia is a property of matter.
Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion (including a change in direction).
HERE

Since the ships and crew are made of matter, they posses inertia.
Since the ships in EVE can, and do, change directions violently enough to cause traumatic injury and death to those aboard them, not even considering the possible damage to non living components, it is necessary for inertial dampeners to exist preventing this.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, AKA Newton's third law of motion. HERE
In order for a kinetic attack to be pressed onto a target, it requires some form of leverage to use in support, or else the kinetic energy will simply propel the masses apart.
The inertial dampeners so weaponized, are actually still functioning to prevent the collision itself, but the attacking ship is using it's own intact mass as leverage to inflict damage to the opposing vessel during this process.
(The damaged armor and structure no longer being intact to the point of having necessary conduits and structural integrity needed)

Thank you for the opportunity to teach again.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#177 - 2013-12-24 17:05:15 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Change it to coalition damage when shields are under 5% then. Fixes the issue right there.

But 5% of what?

If an interceptor hit's a super capital, the shields on the inty aren't even 1% by comparison. They are negligible.
Should the inty pop like a soap bubble?

It might even be realistic, but good game play?

The real question perhaps, for collision, is should big ships be automatically overwhelming to smaller ones?

DOES EVE have brick walls, which can smash things, or can the shields of any ship always insulate it from any regular form of direct contact?
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#178 - 2013-12-24 17:27:09 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

But 5% of what?

It really isn't that complicated, and honestly pretty obvious but ill explain is detail:

If both ships are at 5% or under of their own shield it makes them able to collide with other objects with less then 5% of that objects shield. If I have a interceptor at 3% of its own shields (So maybe 50hp or something), and a carrier at 1% of its own shield (lets estimate1000hp), they would be able to collide.

The whole basis of the idea is that its a ship by ship basis that would opt them into being able to collide. A ship with 6% of its own shields collides with a ship with 1% of its own shields, them don't collide. Its a simple AND operation. here is a simple sudo code representation:

If ((shieldHp < totalShieldHp *.05) AND (otherShieldHp < otherShipShieldHP * .05)) {
applyCollitionDamage(myShip, otherShip);
} else {
justBump(myShip, otherShip);
}

This gives a buffer zone for the constant repairing of a ships shields, and makes it possible for a ship even with minuscule amount of total shields to still be able to collide with other ships in the same situation. Collision damage would be applied to a ship based on the mass and traversal velocity of the ship it hits. A carrier with a large amount of mass, not moving wont take extensive damage from a frigate colliding with it at high speed, however the frigate should be destroyed. These damage values can be tweaked based on other factors, the overall idea seems pretty sound to me though.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#179 - 2013-12-24 18:00:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

Never said gravity.

Inertia is a property of matter.
Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion (including a change in direction).
HERE

Since the ships and crew are made of matter, they posses inertia.
Since the ships in EVE can, and do, change directions violently enough to cause traumatic injury and death to those aboard them, not even considering the possible damage to non living components, it is necessary for inertial dampeners to exist preventing this.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, AKA Newton's third law of motion. HERE
In order for a kinetic attack to be pressed onto a target, it requires some form of leverage to use in support, or else the kinetic energy will simply propel the masses apart.
The inertial dampeners so weaponized, are actually still functioning to prevent the collision itself, but the attacking ship is using it's own intact mass as leverage to inflict damage to the opposing vessel during this process.
(The damaged armor and structure no longer being intact to the point of having necessary conduits and structural integrity needed)

Thank you for the opportunity to teach again.

Oh, thanks for the lesson. I take it we are all at the same time teachers and students in the world, although pride sometimes prevents some from recognizing their own ignorance.

If there is no internal ship mechanism to dampen the inertial effects from the ship's movement, then a simple AB activation from a full stop will kill all the crew. It could be an artificial gravitational field, that is sci fi material though, not real world physics.

EDIT: If it is an internal mechanism it cannot be used to prevent collisions, only to soften the impact suffered inside the ship. The only way to prevent a collision is through propulsion to a safe direction. That's something EVE's ships don't do, they just absorv all the kinect energy from the collision.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#180 - 2013-12-24 18:03:18 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

But 5% of what?

It really isn't that complicated, and honestly pretty obvious but ill explain is detail:

If both ships are at 5% or under of their own shield it makes them able to collide with other objects with less then 5% of that objects shield. If I have a interceptor at 3% of its own shields (So maybe 50hp or something), and a carrier at 1% of its own shield (lets estimate1000hp), they would be able to collide.

The whole basis of the idea is that its a ship by ship basis that would opt them into being able to collide. A ship with 6% of its own shields collides with a ship with 1% of its own shields, them don't collide. Its a simple AND operation. here is a simple sudo code representation:

If ((shieldHp < totalShieldHp *.05) AND (otherShieldHp < otherShipShieldHP * .05)) {
applyCollitionDamage(myShip, otherShip);
} else {
justBump(myShip, otherShip);
}

This gives a buffer zone for the constant repairing of a ships shields, and makes it possible for a ship even with minuscule amount of total shields to still be able to collide with other ships in the same situation. Collision damage would be applied to a ship based on the mass and traversal velocity of the ship it hits. A carrier with a large amount of mass, not moving wont take extensive damage from a frigate colliding with it at high speed, however the frigate should be destroyed. These damage values can be tweaked based on other factors, the overall idea seems pretty sound to me though.

I suggested that already, dude. The problem with this is that there is still no way to determine who get's a criminal flag for damaging someone else by ramming his own ship towards another. It could also result in lots of accidental damage in a big fleet.