These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Living off Missions instead of Mining

Author
Pix Severus
Empty You
#41 - 2013-12-22 02:58:01 UTC
Running level 4s will earn you a huge amount of ISK, however it can become quite tedious. Although there is a certain satisfaction in raising your DPS, defenses, and other combat-related skills, and seeing the missions get easier and easier over time.

If you're looking for a profitable break from mining, then mission running is a good choice.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

SibSpi
Buggers' Advanced Interstellar Transport
#42 - 2013-12-24 07:18:51 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Mining is in fact one of the worst sources of ISK for your time in all of EVE. I don't know who told you it was necessary or even a good way to make a living, but they deserve to be shot. If the ISK you make mining is enough to sustain you, virtually any other ISK-positive activity will give you more ISK than you need.

If you work from home and would like to be making isk while you're doing something that isn't babysitting your client(s) at all times, mining is actually a great way to semi-passively make isk. As an example for the point, I have to process photos and gather info for the content of said photos, both of which I do at my computer and which can take a lot of time. So, while doing this I'm able to see my client(s) on another screen and hear things like "the asteroid is depleted".

At around 1,000m3 a minute and 0.1m3 per unit of veldspar, which currently goes for around 13.40 a unit, you're looking at roughly 6.7mil minimum if you manage an average of 50min out of an hour mining. Multiply that by a minimum of an 8 hour work day and you're already sitting at 53.6mil, which is far better than nothing while you were otherwise unable to play. Do that for twelve days of a month, or 12/20 working weekdays and your account is paid for. Another 8 days' worth and you've a minimum of another 429mil extra. That may be just a few hours of really efficient lvl4 missions, but it's a few hours of 'active' playtime that have been freed up to do other things, or a large chunk of next month's plex costs already ground out.

Mining+industry+science+trade running passively in the background are all great ways to coin it, and 3/4 of those activities don't need you to be around at all to make you some isk.
SibSpi
Buggers' Advanced Interstellar Transport
#43 - 2013-12-24 07:32:41 UTC
IIshira wrote:
I've made more money doing missions than mining.

Also remember AFK play is against the EULA so if you're going to do it I wouldn't post it in the forms LOL. If I happen to be bored and warp to your belt while you're AFK it can get you suicide ganked too Big smile

How is being afk while your ship fills its ore hold or your drones finish killing al the npcs left in a pocket against the eula if both scenarios place you at risk of being suicide ganked, bumped away from your objective(s), having mission objective(s) stolen, your profit marings in loot/salvage undermined or the rock(s) you were on being mined out by someone else?

If you play 'afk' you place yourself at immense risk and are likely to end up making little to nothing compared to being attentive of your client(s).

Please point out where in the EULA it's said that 'afk play' is disallowed.
Roel Yento
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-12-25 15:31:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Roel Yento
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
I do missions and mining.

When I do a mission I salvage the crap out of everything. When I'm done I keep/sell the Meta4s and ammo, then reprocess the rest of the garbage into minerals. When I go to build something later I check the BPO and go out and mine the difference. Mining for profit is meh, but mining for production can make you very good money. So if you want to take mining I'd say use it as a launchpad to going into industry.

If you're doing missions you'll find that the loot is usually worth x2 to x5 what the mission itself pays out. If you're not looting/salvaging then you're throwing away at least half your profit right there. And once you're done salvaging grab some rig BPOs - they usually pay for themselves when you've sold one item, and since you're doing missions all those rig parts are effectively free.

Pure profit.

If you are producing, you should be buying the resources to build at buy order prices and only for items that make you money. You would make more selling your loot at sell order price and buying the same items needed at buy order price then you are free to make whatever you want. This goes for mning too. If you spend all day mining to make something, your isk per hour is only equal to buy order price of minerals not sell order price of minerals. Since this is the case, you might as well sell your minerals at sell order price and buy all needed mins at buy order price.

Even better though is to do anything else besides mining for isk and manage buy orders on production needs. The more patient you are too and larger capital you have to start with makes it easier to set a price and wait for orders to be filled.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-12-25 21:17:06 UTC
To be fair, in early character days, mining DOES pay more than low level missions - especially if you're not an old hand.

Not later, but it's easy to see where the misconception comes from.
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-12-26 00:18:00 UTC
SibSpi wrote:
IIshira wrote:

Also remember AFK play is against the EULA so if you're going to do it I wouldn't post it in the forms LOL. If I happen to be bored and warp to your belt while you're AFK it can get you suicide ganked too Big smile

How is being afk while your ship fills its ore hold or your drones finish killing al the npcs left in a pocket against the eula if both scenarios place you at risk of being suicide ganked, bumped away from your objective(s), having mission objective(s) stolen, your profit marings in loot/salvage undermined or the rock(s) you were on being mined out by someone else?

If you play 'afk' you place yourself at immense risk and are likely to end up making little to nothing compared to being attentive of your client(s).

In the EULA it states,
"You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.

Now you can interpret this different ways and we can argue back and forth who's interpretation is correct. Both of our interpretations are meaningless since it's CCP that will determine if what someone does violates the EULA. I don't think CCP has made a public comment as to this.

In reality will CCP hunt you down in game if you're AFK mining?... Probably not. My reference is just to people saying they AFK mine in the forms that CCP occasionally reads. It's like the police aren't going to break down your door for a minor law infraction but if you openly post about it they just might.
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#47 - 2013-12-26 16:23:10 UTC
IIshira wrote:
SibSpi wrote:
IIshira wrote:

In the EULA it states,
"You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.

Now you can interpret this different ways and we can argue back and forth who's interpretation is correct. Both of our interpretations are meaningless since it's CCP that will determine if what someone does violates the EULA. I don't think CCP has made a public comment as to this.

In reality will CCP hunt you down in game if you're AFK mining?... Probably not. My reference is just to people saying they AFK mine in the forms that CCP occasionally reads. It's like the police aren't going to break down your door for a minor law infraction but if you openly post about it they just might.

How cute. You bolded the parts to make your interpretation correct. Read the full rule in it's entiretiy. That rule is specifically against botting, and botting is basically playing AFK using a script, macro, or 3rd party program. That specific type of AFK play is bannable, but mining AFK without using those is not.

However, it isn't really smart to mine that way as people may come along and gank you.
CMD Ishikawa
New Eden Public Security Section 9
#48 - 2013-12-27 06:38:58 UTC
Ireland VonVicious wrote:
Drake -> Gila -> Rattlesnake.

Mission heaven.

And once you can afford it --> Golem
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#49 - 2013-12-27 06:49:20 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
IIshira wrote:
SibSpi wrote:
IIshira wrote:

In the EULA it states,

How cute. You bolded the parts to make your interpretation correct. Read the full rule in it's entiretiy. That rule is specifically against botting, and botting is basically playing AFK using a script, macro, or 3rd party program. That specific type of AFK play is bannable, but mining AFK without using those is not.

However, it isn't really smart to mine that way as people may come along and gank you.

It's not just referring to using a bot program. That's what the "your own or any third-party software" was referring to. I bolded it so people could see the specific part I was referring to but I guess you didn't get that. Nice troll attempt though. Blink
Alice Ituin
Doomheim
#50 - 2013-12-27 13:59:55 UTC
CMD Ishikawa wrote:

And once you can afford it --> Golem

More like "when you have the skills to fly it". If you don't have the ISK by the time you can fly one you did something seriously wrong.
Previous page123