These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

RI governor says,.... MMO Copernicus now just "a lot of junk."

Author
Robby Altair
#1 - 2013-12-22 19:22:16 UTC
Wow,.... hard to believe that a government investment into a mmo failed badly for government. Harder to believe it would have been successful.

RI governor says 38 Studios' MMO Copernicus now just "a lot of junk," Schilling responds

Room 3420 Boelter Hall UCLA

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#2 - 2013-12-22 20:47:33 UTC
Huh... 75 million USD? And yet they went bakrupt? And that fly through is an instance of what they were doing?

I certainly would sue someone over that blunder. What?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-12-22 21:34:26 UTC
Government in ThrowMoneyAway-nonshocker. Ugh
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#4 - 2013-12-23 15:25:24 UTC
Of all of the things a government could have invested in, why an MMO? That's about like investing $75 mil in an independent film project. How much more high-risk can you go?

(By the way, here's a government-funded MMO that worked: WolfQuest. It was developed by the Minnesota Zoo. But just for fun and for educating kids, not an investment expecting profit returns. It's a great game BTW, if you have kids who like animals and nature stuff. Basically, your avatar is wolf doing real wolf things (hunting in packs, looking for a mate, making a nest for the cubs, etc. Really good.)
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#5 - 2013-12-23 16:13:53 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Of all of the things a government could have invested in, why an MMO? That's about like investing $75 mil in an independent film project. How much more high-risk can you go?

The heads of these companies are excellent liars, period.

On another tack, Larry Ellison promised promised promised the City of San Francisco that bringing in the America's Cup would net the city at least $925,000,000 for their investments in constructing new facilities, publicity (the team who won was actually caught cheating...and were still allowed in).

The reality?

San Fran now owes $5,000,000 in debts from the debacle.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-12-23 20:48:12 UTC
Republican governor uses taxpayers' money to subsidize a Republican businessman. Sounds normal for crony capitalism. Pirate

The $75M was supposed to just be loan guarantees to get cheaper financing, but the company was selling tax credits that were supposed to go to companies making movies. And there were some shenanigans with how the debt got restructured after the guarantees were issued that pretty much makes it seem that the company was intentionally driven into the ground. I expect the lawsuits to last for decades.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#7 - 2013-12-23 23:10:12 UTC
Huttan Funaila wrote:
Republican governor uses taxpayers' money to subsidize a Republican businessman. Sounds normal for crony capitalism. Pirate

The $75M was supposed to just be loan guarantees to get cheaper financing, but the company was selling tax credits that were supposed to go to companies making movies. And there were some shenanigans with how the debt got restructured after the guarantees were issued that pretty much makes it seem that the company was intentionally driven into the ground. I expect the lawsuits to last for decades.

Well, my State's Governor will hopefully see his time in court for helping prop up a failing company.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2013-12-24 01:01:07 UTC
Yet they say national heathcare is the devil...

Merica, the nation state equivalent of a complicated car crash we just cannot stop watching.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#9 - 2013-12-24 10:10:29 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:

The heads of these companies are excellent liars, period.

On another tack, Larry Ellison promised promised promised the City of San Francisco that bringing in the America's Cup would net the city at least $925,000,000 for their investments in constructing new facilities, publicity (the team who won was actually caught cheating...and were still allowed in).

The reality?

San Fran now owes $5,000,000 in debts from the debacle.

Amateurs. Just effin' amateurs. Same event, America's Cup, edition #32, 2007. Spanish city, Valencia. Investment: 1,800 million euros.

Estimated return: ~150 million euros.
Remaining debt: ~800 million euros.

Current status of the marina built specially for the event: empty and degrading. There are no news that a single berth ever was sold.

Nobody has suffered any inconvenience for it (being called names is not an inconvenience). And it is very likely that the exact same people from the exact same political party, will win with yet another absolute majority the next local election.

As I said, Americans are effin' amateurs. Cool

Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-12-24 10:16:52 UTC
Ah yes spain.... where pants on head crazy tax payer projects go upto 11.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#11 - 2013-12-24 10:23:54 UTC
Graygor wrote:
Ah yes spain.... where pants on head crazy tax payer projects go upto 11.

Ours is a poor country, and we never learned how to be rich. What?

Yet God knows our politicians know how to be corrupt...

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#12 - 2013-12-24 15:28:46 UTC
UPDATE: (if you can believe it after the massive loss)

"Having a more focused event will help the city rein in costs after it lost at least $5.5 million from hosting the regatta the first time around." "Negotiations "must build from and cultivate the successes of the past event."

Mayor Lee confirms S.F. will bid for next America's Cup

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-12-24 19:36:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Frank Millar
I am not even sure politicians life (live? gah, engrish is hard) in the same dimension as we do.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#14 - 2013-12-24 19:48:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Frank Millar wrote:
I am not even sure politicians life (live? gah, engrish is hard) in the same dimension as we do.

Live would have been the correct choice. Props for getting that far.... I seriously wish I had learned a few other languages as a child. Calling Engrish hard is an is an understatement...it is down right moronic at best a lot of times.

We live a fast life.

We lived fast lives.

We lived life fast.
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-12-24 21:42:46 UTC
Thanks for that.

I can get reasonably far in English, but sometimes I just lose my grip on it. Shocked
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2013-12-25 01:24:23 UTC
Read is spelled like read but only one sounds like reed.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#17 - 2013-12-25 13:27:25 UTC
Don't even get me started on the idiotic "der, die, das" of the German language. Good God.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#18 - 2013-12-25 14:03:10 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
I seriously wish I had learned a few other languages as a child. Calling Engrish hard is an is an understatement...it is down right moronic at best a lot of times.

Now, try Chinese. Smile

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#19 - 2013-12-26 04:58:28 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Don't even get me started on the idiotic "der, die, das" of the German language. Good God.

There, Their, They're...
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-12-26 05:36:02 UTC
Frank Millar wrote:

They do live in the same dimension as us. Just they have a hard time seeing it from atop their ivory towers.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
I seriously wish I had learned a few other languages as a child. Calling Engrish hard is an is an understatement...it is down right moronic at best a lot of times.

Now, try Chinese. Smile

Chinese isnt that bad when you get past the writing. The grammar is similar to English.

The writing... good god almighty.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

12Next page