These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Collision Damage

Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#121 - 2013-12-21 20:35:06 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
It is complicated enough to plan tactics with, but simple enough to counter with a basic web.

I think it's just too much drawbacks for a too simple mechanic, that is, basically, suicidal ships. I also don't like the idea of a module that is meant for suicide. Suicidal ganking is meta gaming, it's not supposed to have a module for it's own. It makes it a no brainer. I'd rather have CCP fixing the ship's balloon physics and implementing a module for aggressive bumping that may also be used for suicide ganking.

Again, the reference to suicide ganking, as if other possible uses were either meaningless or ignored.

The attacking ship is NOT suicidal because they fitted this option. It IS taking a significant risk.

The stabber described above, can be effectively fitted to have resistances to kinetic damage, and still retain a speed of 363 m/s.
Armor: 86.2 %
Hull: 60%

Assuming the same details of the ramming attack, (The armor and HP remain unchanged by the fitted items) the results can be quite different. The ship in the previous example had no other items fitted, and was a bare hull as flown by a skilled pilot.

The Stabber would have 1,192 armor remaining out of 1,625 original, and no structural damage.
Quite notable, is that the shields of all ships involved are unaffected by all of this. Still at 2,000, minus any damage taken outside of this example.

Unless Concord showed up, or player ships prepared to counter this loadout, this ship has the ability to repeat the attack, albeit with reduced effect. 2,817 damage from the combined armor and hull remaining, down from the original 3,250.

If they took things to the maximum effect, which might be a balance issue to consider limiting, the stabber could in theory also fit a 100mn AB, as well as three warp disruptors.
(In theory, as most players are not all level 5 in associated skills)

It sounds powerful on paper, but as most understand that does not come across perfectly in game, and a ship set to counter this tactic would be even simpler to fit than this.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#122 - 2013-12-22 02:43:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Teckos Pech wrote:
Old and repetitious topic, to be quite honest.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

More older threads on this topic,

Link 5
Link 6
Link 7
Link 8

Hi Teckos. Thanks for the research job... even though one of those threads is about LoS (I take it you wanted to make your post symmetrical, that's ok). I read trough them and found that only one post in one of those threads mentions a ramming module. I did a little research myself and found that there are some player suggestions for this type of module on a relatively recent dev thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=659229. I believe there is a legit interest on the subject and that this idea has not been seriously discussed yet.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#123 - 2013-12-22 05:36:43 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

More older threads on this topic,

Link 5
Link 6
Link 7
Link 8

Hi Teckos. Thanks for the research job... even though one of those threads is about LoS (I take it you wanted to make your post symmetrical, that's ok). I read trough them and found that only one post in one of those threads mentions a ramming module. I did a little research myself and found that there are some player suggestions for this type of module on a relatively recent dev thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=659229. I believe there is a legit interest on the subject and that this idea has not been seriously discussed yet.

A ramming module would be new, but that should be its own thread, IMO. Tucking it in here on collision damage in general could be seen as a thread hi-jack.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#124 - 2013-12-22 05:49:01 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Link 1
.etc etc

Don't mean to scare you in your sheltered basement life but technology improves at a rapid pace and makes things not possible a few years ago very possible today.

Shocking I know. Big smile

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#125 - 2013-12-22 06:59:26 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Link 1
.etc etc

Don't mean to scare you in your sheltered basement life but technology improves at a rapid pace and makes things not possible a few years ago very possible today.

Shocking I know. Big smile

But does it make things that were a bad idea a year ago into a good idea today?

Not really!
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#126 - 2013-12-22 12:35:12 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

A ramming module would be new, but that should be its own thread, IMO. Tucking it in here on collision damage in general could be seen as a thread hi-jack.

The ramming module idea came out from this topic discussion and I believe it's the most, if not the only, viable way to implement some sort of collision damage.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#127 - 2013-12-22 15:07:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Nikk Narrel
Nag'o wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

The ramming module idea came out from this topic discussion and I believe it's the most, if not the only, viable way to implement some sort of collision damage.

Mine was in it's own thread originally. I understand the superficial connection by ramming / collision, but the wide difference in mechanics involved create a night and day divide otherwise.
(I never saw this thread, created three days before mine, until someone posted a cross link in mine)

Something the ISD never considered.

This thread started with a general observation that maybe collisions in general were worth revisiting.

The ramming module I devised, is specific in forcing a user to forego all other primary weapon systems.
Since they have no backup plan, and a ship with a solid armor tank is generally less agile than it's peers to begin with, this ship can also be countered very effectively.

And once countered, it is effectively a popularity contest over whether it survives, since it depends on other pilots either helping or attacking it for this detail. Killmails would soon follow, either way.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#128 - 2013-12-22 18:37:43 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Quite notable, is that the shields of all ships involved are unaffected by all of this.

If this system you're suggesting (wich is not simply a module, becuse it changes the way a ship can be fitted even more radically than a T3 subsystem) provokes damage that goes straight through the shields then every shield tanker is doomed unless they also fit armor resistances.
I think this idea is clumsy to say the least.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#129 - 2013-12-22 19:46:13 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Quite notable, is that the shields of all ships involved are unaffected by all of this.

If this system you're suggesting (wich is not simply a module, becuse it changes the way a ship can be fitted even more radically than a T3 subsystem) provokes damage that goes straight through the shields then every shield tanker is doomed unless they also fit armor resistances.

Shield tankers are also notoriously more agile, with faster speeds.
Put simply, they would be less vulnerable, since they would be harder to catch, even while being less defended with their armor.

That stabber, in the example, is a shield tanker by virtue of having higher shields native to it..
(Same number of mids and lows, offer similar opportunities to improve in either direction.)
The augmented version I described in the second example, had no plates fitted to increase the amount of armor, just to make it more resistant to kinetic damage.

A maller, by comparison, would deal 5,000 points to the stabber's 3,250... but the stabber has a base speed of 363 vs the maller's 244 m/s.
The stabber would not survive a hit from a ramming maller, assuming bare hulls with theoretical max skilled pilots.
But, the maller can't force the stabber to sit still, meaning the encounter would often result in the maller being kited while being pounded into small pieces, likely by some autocannons stabbers seem to like using.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#130 - 2013-12-22 19:53:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Put simply, they would be less vulnerable, since they would be harder to catch, even while being less defended with their armor.

Two webs.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#131 - 2013-12-22 20:04:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
I'd much rather have a simple agressive module. Maybe a new propulsion module, so you can't activate it together with other propulsion modules. When you activate it, it boosts the ship speed by a certain amount and you are unable to turn it until the cycle is over. If the ship using it collides with another ship then some damage is applied.

EDIT: Maybe an EM/Kin damage combination, since there are no weapons that deal them both.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#132 - 2013-12-22 21:00:13 UTC
Thank you Nag'o!
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Two webs.

The webs work both ways, as previously explained to be the counter for the ramming module.

The stabber from the second example can just as easily be fitted with three webifiers or warp scramblers, or any combination thereof.
The point is, for this kind of ability, to inflict an alpha this high means not being able to have other damage options.

I feel it needs to be balanced by this vulnerability, or it is simply overpowered.

I do appreciate your pointing out how complex the thinking can become, anticipating how either attacker or defender might want to fit webs to either enhance or counter the chance of being rammed.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#133 - 2013-12-22 21:19:07 UTC
It is worth pointing out, that this ramming module is NOT the same thing as enabling collisions.

The ship which mounted the ramming module, is the one who determines the damage exchange level. It's current existing armor and structure creating the amount of damage involved to both ships.

If a small ship has it equipped, then it deals 100% of it's current combined armor and structure to the other craft, and taking 75% of this same specific number as a blowback effect.
(Note: if less than 100% destroys the target, then the lower number is taken, and 75% of that is applied as blowback instead)

The other ship involved, not having this module mounted, takes that damage against it's own armor, as modified by it's kinetic resistances, and then any remaining is applied to the structure.

This damage, on both sides, is kinetic, and subject to to being reduced by plates and damage control units, as normally handled.

If this were simple collision, (assuming equal ship density all around), the larger ship would always overwhelm the smaller ship with it's superior mass.

The ship mounting the module has weaponized it's inertial dampeners, which is why the ship is a kinetic weapon, while the relative velocity of the two vessels has no meaning once the ramming damage is calculated.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#134 - 2013-12-22 21:46:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Nag'o wrote:

Two webs.

The webs work both ways, as previously explained to be the counter for the ramming module.

The stabber from the second example can just as easily be fitted with three webifiers or warp scramblers, or any combination thereof.
The point is, for this kind of ability, to inflict an alpha this high means not being able to have other damage options.

I feel it needs to be balanced by this vulnerability, or it is simply overpowered.

I do appreciate your pointing out how complex the thinking can become, anticipating how either attacker or defender might want to fit webs to either enhance or counter the chance of being rammed.

You show little knowledge of the game mechanics. Shield tank uses mid slots for protective modules, hence they usually don't fit ECM modules like webs. This system you suggest is unbalanced beyond repair. Like someone in this same thread suggested me, I think it's better for you to take this idea back to the drawing board.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#135 - 2013-12-23 00:05:32 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Nag'o wrote:

Two webs.

You show little knowledge of the game mechanics. Shield tank uses mid slots for protective modules, hence they usually don't fit ECM modules like webs. This system you suggest is unbalanced beyond repair. Like someone in this same thread suggested me, I think it's better for you to take this idea back to the drawing board.

I would like to think you are clever enough, to see the logic pitfall you just placed yourself over, here.
By assuming my design was shortsighted, you fail to realize it insists on players to fit cautiously.

The ability to counter something, in EVE more than many other places, is done at the cost of fitting a more useful module you may KNOW you can use.

OF COURSE the mid slots have an obvious use for shield tanking ships. The stabber I reference from familiarity uses at least one of it's mids for an extender or booster.

For a DST or industrial, they would likely be sacrificing a low slot(s) to enhance their armor profile, slots which have obvious value for cargo expanders.

Did you assume the fitting requirements were drawn randomly, despite this module having no power / cpu fitting requirements, while demanding an unheard of 400 calibration and exclusive presence in the high slots?

Why would you expect a painless fitting option to counter this?
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#136 - 2013-12-23 00:46:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I would like to think you are clever enough, to see the logic pitfall you just placed yourself over, here.
By assuming my design was shortsighted, you fail to realize it insists on players to fit cautiously.

The ability to counter something, in EVE more than many other places, is done at the cost of fitting a more useful module you may KNOW you can use.

OF COURSE the mid slots have an obvious use for shield tanking ships. The stabber I reference from familiarity uses at least one of it's mids for an extender or booster.

For a DST or industrial, they would likely be sacrificing a low slot(s) to enhance their armor profile, slots which have obvious value for cargo expanders.

Did you assume the fitting requirements were drawn randomly, despite this module having no power / cpu fitting requirements, while demanding an unheard of 400 calibration and exclusive presence in the high slots?

It's unbalanced. You're considering only a 1v1 situation. EvE. Let's say it's a 2v2: one team has a shield battleship and a kamikaze ship, the other has an armor battleship and a kamikaze ship. Both battleships are fitted with webs to counter the kamikazes. The kamikazes are fit for full damage, whatever the math for that is.
Whilst the webs from both battleships are able to hold their kamikaze foes, the shielded battleship side is in disadvantage, because it has a much weaker tank than the armor battleship due to the mid slot sacrifice for the webs.

Also, if you want something to use calibration points then you gotta make it a rig. I like the idea of single purpose 400 points rig, but a module that prevents you to use slots simply because it's fitted is just weird. Players gotta have options. You're taking away from them a whole rack of choices to make to fit a single module.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#137 - 2013-12-23 02:01:42 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

It's unbalanced. You're considering only a 1v1 situation. EvE. Let's say it's a 2v2: one team has a shield battleship and a kamikaze ship, the other has an armor battleship and a kamikaze ship. Both battleships are fitted with webs to counter the kamikazes. The kamikazes are fit for full damage, whatever the math for that is.
Whilst the webs from both battleships are able to hold their kamikaze foes, the shielded battleship side is in disadvantage, because it has a much weaker tank than the armor battleship due to the mid slot sacrifice for the webs.

Also, if you want something to use calibration points then you gotta make it a rig. I like the idea of single purpose 400 points rig, but a module that prevents you to use slots simply because it's fitted is just weird. Players gotta have options. You're taking away from them a whole rack of choices to make to fit a single module.

You are assuming it is unbalanced, because you are not absorbing the intentions of the design.

First, let's cover this ground. I can make the mistake of assuming common understanding of details far more often than is reasonable. I know from real life this confuses people already, so perhaps I have been negligent here.
If so, I apologize.

First, this is not a collision mechanic. It requires a similar means of delivery, but then a missile often needs to hit it's target to have an effect too.
This takes the inertial dampeners on the ship, and weaponizes them. The things that let an interceptor have that rubbery bounce off of a freighter, rather than making the pilot in his pod into the equivalent of an egg scrambled inside of it's shell.
Now, they are reversing themselves upon contact to inflict damage rather than to prevent it.

The field in question, only exists covering the intact physical components of the ship. This is why the sections which take damage no longer support the field moving forward, as they lack the integrity to leverage the fields energy that it needs.

Now, as it is leveraging a kinetic attack against the ship it is in contact with, the inertial dampeners are discharging the ship's mass against the armor and structure of the other vessel. The other vessel is trying to cancel this effect, naturally, but the ramming module enables the ramming ship to overwhelm an equal section of reinforced armor and structure, using the opposing ship's own dampening fields as the conduit.

As can be imagined, this is a violent and drastic discharge flash of kinetic energy, requiring the entire hull to act as a parallel conduit in order to avoid being neutralized. For this reason, all of the hard points need to be included completely, as they represent the focal points of the ship's structure. The same logic that makes them useful absorbing the stress and energy of primary ship weapons, also makes them the key required points for this discharge.

Rigs: This module requires overwhelming integration into the ship, exactly the same way a ship's rigs need. The reinforced inertial dampening conduits normally hidden seamlessly into the hull, are tripled or more in many areas. They are also insulated against blowback, and channel the return surge of energy as if it were external in nature, allowing the ship's own defenses to absorb as much of this energy as possible.
(It blocks 25% of the energy's return surge, and channels the rest to the outer superstructure so it can be dissipated by such reinforcements as the ship has, such as kinetic resistance plating and hardeners)

The module effectively demands exclusive access to the hull and superstructure of the ship, in short, which takes into account the high slot items as well as the rigging.

The fitting consequences eliminate the options to fit most other weapon systems, and secondary rigging modules often valued for their benefits in many areas.
It also makes the ship reliant upon associates for support, as these sacrifices often expose it to faster vessels able to counter it and fire upon it from safe distances.

It can be a devastating alpha strike, but at a cost of being easily countered, if it is anticipated.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#138 - 2013-12-23 03:00:47 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

It can be a devastating alpha strike, but at a cost of being easily countered, if it is anticipated.

TLDR: a kamikaze ship. Your system description is neat. It still fails to encompass the gameplay balance aspects though.
The shield/armor tank difference could be easily adressed by a module that deals EM/Kin damage. No complicated fitting restrictions other than the CPU and PG costs. Simple and fun, able to be used in more elaborated tactics other than just the all or nothing. I think this could be a cruiser exclusive module to go along with the MJD fitting philosophy.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#139 - 2013-12-23 03:30:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This takes the inertial dampeners on the ship...

That's exactly what EVE's ships don't have, a mechanism to prevent collisions. If there was anything of the sort a freighter wouldn't accelerate beyond it's own capacity when bumped by a MWD cruiser. What happens is that the kinectic energy from the cruiser is being transfered to the freigher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOuOt4QYM18, this only happens in a direct collision. IMO this should only happen as an agressive maneuver, by the use of a module built for the sole purpose of transfering kinect energy to another ship's hull. This same collision should inflict damage. In my concept that damage could be EM/Kin for balance reasons but it can be justified by being both the kinect energy of the collision and the EM energy from the shields.

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#140 - 2013-12-23 04:06:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Let's take an overpowered mechanic, and give the aggressor damage on top of that with module that biases the aggressor. Shocked

Why should damage go only to collisions where damage is desired by the aggressor and be applied in such a way that the aggressor gets a substantial advantage?

If there is to be damage, it should be applied fairly and equally to all ships based on the masses and velocities involved in each collision .. or not at all.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein