These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Replacing Caldari Kinetic Damage Bonuses

First post
Author
Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#81 - 2013-12-20 19:36:05 UTC
I think modelling all Caldari ships with missile damage bonuses after the Hookbill is the way to go. Keep the high kinetic bonuses while adding a bonus to the other damage types equal to half the kinetic bonus. That's a perfect fix imo.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#82 - 2013-12-20 20:00:05 UTC
would that mean the ships do dps on par with other races with all damage types AND have the extra option of doing more dps with kinetic?

cause that would not be balanced. it would have to be something inbetween, where perhaps they do a little less damage with other types but a little extra with kin.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#83 - 2013-12-20 20:36:05 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
would that mean the ships do dps on par with other races with all damage types AND have the extra option of doing more dps with kinetic?

cause that would not be balanced. it would have to be something inbetween, where perhaps they do a little less damage with other types but a little extra with kin.

Considering the fact that their hulls are slower, have larger sigs, and pathetic drone capabilities yes it would be balanced.
Daichi Yamato
#84 - 2013-12-20 21:07:20 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Considering the fact that their hulls are slower, have larger sigs, and pathetic drone capabilities yes it would be balanced.

so now its not just the weapon system that makes caldari crap, its their slow speed, large sig and smaller drone bays as well all of a sudden?

vs minnie missile boats, caldari get better cap and tank
vs amarr missile boats, caldari generally have the similar or faster speed and similar sig radius.

and despite all they lack in drones, caldari still have better dps. so other races can bring more ecm drones...thats about all that having a larger drone bay gives to the missile ships of other races.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Luscius Uta
#85 - 2013-12-20 21:28:46 UTC
Deryn Angrard wrote:

drake doesnt need the buff OP wants.

No, but it doesn't need the 6 unbonused launchers either (when dealing kinetic damage isn't the best option). Check the damage bonuses on Osprey Navy Issue, why not paste them to Drake as well (even though I would personally prefer 5% RoF/level bonus over that)?

Workarounds are not bugfixes.

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#86 - 2013-12-20 21:48:28 UTC
Luscius Uta wrote:
Deryn Angrard wrote:

drake doesnt need the buff OP wants.

No, but it doesn't need the 6 unbonused launchers either (when dealing kinetic damage isn't the best option). Check the damage bonuses on Osprey Navy Issue, why not paste them to Drake as well (even though I would personally prefer 5% RoF/level bonus over that)?

Oh yeah, Navy Osprey has it too. So Hookbill and Osprey NI have already set the precedent. Anyone who claims this would make Caldari missile boats overpowered is nuts.
Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#87 - 2013-12-20 21:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Zvaarian the Red
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

so now its not just the weapon system that makes caldari crap, its their slow speed, large sig and smaller drone bays as well all of a sudden?

vs minnie missile boats, caldari get better cap and tank
vs amarr missile boats, caldari generally have the similar or faster speed and similar sig radius.

and despite all they lack in drones, caldari still have better dps. so other races can bring more ecm drones...thats about all that having a larger drone bay gives to the missile ships of other races.

1) Amarr missile boats generally have much smaller signatures than Caldari missile boats because of how shield tanking works.

2) Minmatar missile boats are massively faster and have much smaller signatures. This is not a minor advantage.

3) Such a change to Caldari damage bonuses would not increase their max power level, but would instead give them flexibility (of which they have none presently).

4) And yes it's more than just weapon systems that make Caldari the red-headed step child of EVE PVP.

5) If CCP wants to buff crap missile boats of other races I'm all for it. The Cyclone certainly needs it for instance.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#88 - 2013-12-20 21:56:06 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Daichi Yamato
#89 - 2013-12-20 23:11:22 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

1) Amarr missile boats generally have much smaller signatures than Caldari missile boats because of how shield tanking works.

and for this same reason caldari ships move much faster than amarr, and we all know speed is more important...u ARE nip picking

gonna leave it there since half my posts got removed. i guess all i can say is there are some good arguments for improving upon missiles/the kinetic bonus, but many of the ones here arent good arguments

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#90 - 2013-12-20 23:21:53 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

and for this same reason caldari ships move much faster than amarr, and we all know speed is more important...u ARE nip picking

gonna leave it there since half my posts got removed. i guess all i can say is there are some good arguments for improving upon missiles/the kinetic bonus, but many of the ones here arent good arguments

Caldari ships are now "much faster" than Amarr ships? This is news to me...
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#91 - 2013-12-20 23:57:34 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Now you know! Nomen is way slower than Caracal NI, Crusader is also slower than a Crow and we all know how fast Hawk is...
Meyr
Di-Tron Heavy Industries
OnlyFleets.
#92 - 2013-12-21 00:02:56 UTC
Just for the sake of argument, let's say that CCP decides to do away with the kinetic bonus (which, in all honesty, I don't see a need for - you're shooting into a resistance hole of one size or another for almost every hull in the game - it's not as if your primary damage is awesome against shields, but crap against armor - like Amarr have it).

What would they replace it with? How would they compensate? What would make you happy?

5% damage bonus? That would give the Drake 7.5 effective launchers for all damage types, plus a full flight of light drones.

I'm not sure how that works out in actual gameplay, but that seems a bit OP in comparison to the other missile boats.

And an ROF bonus? On six launchers? Not going to happen. Even if they take away the drone bay. Too OP.
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#93 - 2013-12-21 00:11:08 UTC
Meyr wrote:
blah blah... but that seems a bit OP... too OP blah... blah...

Turret trolls, if anything is OP that would be your guns.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#94 - 2013-12-21 01:06:18 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
It's funny… the players that are protesting the most are the ones enjoying current dominance with their preferred weapon system (lasers, hybrids, projectiles, drones, etc.) over missiles - and heaven forbid someone should actually bring the various hulls and missiles on par. Whatever would they do…
Roll

You're also saying Minmatar missile ships should be weaker than Caldari missile ships. Caldari would need massive nerfing to make that fair which only would make things worse.
Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#95 - 2013-12-21 01:18:08 UTC
Meyr wrote:
Caldari get more launchers and a larger bonus in order to compensate for limiting their optimal damage type.

Do the math, and figure out how many EFFECTIVE TURRETS/LAUNCHERS a hull class has.

The Drake, with six launchers, and a 50% bonus, equals NINE effective turrets.

I'm on my iPad, so I don't have access to all of the hull bonuses, but I'm certain someone can make a quick chart.

Let's compare at the BC level (ignoring Attack BCs and drone boats):

Harbinger: 6 turrets, 50% bonus, 9 effective hardpoints, 2 damage types.
Drake: 6 launchers, 50% bonus (kinetic), 9 effective hardpoints, 1 damage type (6 effective hardpoints, all damage types).
Ferox: 7 turrets, 0% bonus, 7 effective hardpoints.
Brutix: 6 turrets, 50% bonus, 9 effective hardpoints, 2 damage types.
Cyclone: 5 launchers, 25% launcher bonus, 6.25 effective hardpoints, all damage types (technically, 2 unbonused turret hardpoints as well).
Hurricane: 6 turrets, 66.7% bonus, 10 effective hardpoints, all damage types (technically, 3 unbonused launcher hardpoints as well, but only 7 high slots).

So ya, the drake is on level, within it's own damage type, with the Harbinger and Brutix, except it's only dealing a single damage type. Using omni-damage, the drake is on a bit behind the Ferox (2 damage types) and the Cyclone (all damage types), and miles behind the Hurricane (all damage types).
Dark Drifter
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#96 - 2013-12-21 01:26:45 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
So...the vast majority of caldari hulls should have true damage type selection with no drawbacks whatsoever, wheras the only other race that can come close is minmatarr using faction ammo...(You do know that T2 projectile ammo is all explosive/kinetic, right? And drones can be shot down fairly easily...) And the reason for this is...?

Yes, because shield-based hulls and missiles with time-to-impact delays don't offer any drawbacks at all. That's why everywhere I look, Caldari hulls dot the horizon... Are you seriously trying to convince me that most players use T2 ammunition for PvP? Your only argument for why this change shouldn't be considered is... "because".

Because Gallente can use hybrids and drones, so they're not really limited...
Because Minmatar can use missiles, projectiles and drones - applying any damage type...
Because Amarr... well, as I already indicated - not entirely sure what to do there. Come up with an interesting proposal and I'll support it.

it would appear that the OP is dead set in his belife that EVERY other race can choose a specific damage type for a situation...

he completely forgets that:
gallente: the only variance they get is damage projection, all of the hybrid charges are kin/thurm, they just have different optimal/HP damage profiles. have a 5 second reload time.

amarr: crystals only do em/thurm, they can also change crystal type for different ranges, they have a 0 sec reload time (T2/faction crystals take damage apon use and dont stack there after

minmatar: they have a T1 ammo type for every damage type, T2 ammos are locked to Exp/kin. the big bonus of this amo type is operational range dictation throught the use of the guns potimal/falloff and charge modifires, the ammo takes 10 seconds to reload.

caldary (missile platforms) there is a T1 missile for every damage type, there is a T2 missile for every damage type, the ammo takes 10 seconds to reload (40 seconds for rapid launcher types)

a caldari pilot using a missile platform can carry 4 types of ammo to dictate what damage type he wants to use, the downside of this is that if he wants to get the most out of his hull in any given situation then scurge missiles are the way forward, however if he is fighting a ship that is tanked for thurmal damage (and has a glaring EM hole) he is able to switch ammo and do searious damage to the enemy utalising EM missiles and the lack of resistance the enemy has, in the end the caldari pilot is going to be doing about the same damage in EM as he would be doing in THURMAL (give or take a few HP damage)

if you want the caldary to lose this bonus then i propose the following:

removal of all T2 missile types.
removal of thermal & kinetic missile types

introduce the following:

T1 missile with EXP/EM damage type with 4 variations:
-ranged missile increased flight time , larger explosion radious
-precision missile smaller explosion radious, short flight time
-fast missile fast flight speed , reduced flight time , increased explosion velocity
-standard missiles (ones we have now)

T2 close range missile systmes missiles with EXP/THU damage: 2 varients (assuming launcher is of medium size)
-pinpoint missile, shorter (about 30km with max skills before hull modifires) same damage as current T2 missiles with improved explosion radious
-fury improved range (about 75km with max skills before hull modifires) same damage as current T2 missiles with improved explosion velocity

T2 long range missile systems missileswith EM/KIN damage : 2 variants (assuming launcher is of medium size)
-javalin missile, greatly improved flight time/speed , standard T2 damage profile. larger explosion radious
-bolt missile, greatly reduced flight time , greatly improved speed , less damage than standard T2 missile, better explosion velocity/radious (this missile should fly real fast say covering 50odd KM in 3-5 seconds)

remove the bonuses to scurge missiles form all caldari hulls and give them various bonuses like
-fitting/damage
-explosion radious/velocity buffs
-ROF & speed
-Flight time & damage

with tweeks to all existing missile platforms (not just caldari) these new missiles and bonuses would introduce some new fleet doctrins and general fits. "COULD put the caldary back in the fight so to speek

i have not noted drones in this post as i personly belive that they are a different issue altogether, and as far as i am aware most of the hulls in eve have some kind of drone capability.
Dark Drifter
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#97 - 2013-12-21 01:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Dark Drifter
Daenika wrote:
Meyr wrote:
Caldari get more launchers and a larger bonus in order to compensate for limiting their optimal damage type.

Do the math, and figure out how many EFFECTIVE TURRETS/LAUNCHERS a hull class has.

The Drake, with six launchers, and a 50% bonus, equals NINE effective turrets.

I'm on my iPad, so I don't have access to all of the hull bonuses, but I'm certain someone can make a quick chart.

Let's compare at the BC level (ignoring Attack BCs and drone boats):

Harbinger: 6 turrets, 50% bonus, 9 effective hardpoints, 2 damage types.
Drake: 6 launchers, 50% bonus (kinetic), 9 effective hardpoints, 1 damage type (6 effective hardpoints, all damage types).
Ferox: 7 turrets, 0% bonus, 7 effective hardpoints.
Brutix: 6 turrets, 50% bonus, 9 effective hardpoints, 2 damage types.
Cyclone: 5 launchers, 25% launcher bonus, 6.25 effective hardpoints, all damage types (technically, 2 unbonused turret hardpoints as well).
Hurricane: 6 turrets, 66.7% bonus, 10 effective hardpoints, all damage types (technically, 3 unbonused launcher hardpoints as well, but only 7 high slots).

So ya, the drake is on level, within it's own damage type, with the Harbinger and Brutix, except it's only dealing a single damage type. Using omni-damage, the drake is on a bit behind the Ferox (2 damage types) and the Cyclone (all damage types), and miles behind the Hurricane (all damage types).

the drake is still able to take advantage of being able to filed T2 missiles for every damage type, and can change ammo to exploit resistance holes,
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#98 - 2013-12-21 02:04:30 UTC
HiddenPorpoise wrote:
You're also saying Minmatar missile ships should be weaker than Caldari missile ships. Caldari would need massive nerfing to make that fair which only would make things worse.

Maybe they should be, in the sense that Caldari hybrid hulls are typically weaker than Gallente ones and Amarr missile hulls are a bit weaker than Caldari ones. Minmatar are also faster with a smaller signature, so it's not like they don't have some attributes going for them.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#99 - 2013-12-21 02:06:48 UTC
Dark Drifter wrote:
it would appear that the OP is dead set in his belife that EVERY other race can choose a specific damage type for a situation...

Give your head a shake man - I never said that. Flip back through my previous posts and you'll see that I indicated that the Amarr are typically the worse for the wear, and that the Gallente are not too bad (especially when utilizing drones) and that the Minmatar probably have the best damage assortment.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#100 - 2013-12-21 05:05:10 UTC
Niena Nuamzzar wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Now you know! Nomen is way slower than Caracal NI, Crusader is also slower than a Crow and we all know how fast Hawk is...

Harbinger and Prophecy are faster than a Drake.
Apocalypse is faster than either Scorpion.
Vengeance and Hawk are the same speed.

Overall Amarr and Caldari are roughly on par speed-wise and the speed/agility loss of armor plates and armor rigs is nothing compared to the sig bloom of shield extenders and shield rigs.