These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Replacing Caldari Kinetic Damage Bonuses

First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1 - 2013-12-19 23:52:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
TL;DR - Ditch Caldari kinetic-specific damage bonuses.

Caldari is continually the only race still relegated to kinetic-specific missile damage bonuses for many of its hulls. This is not the case for any other race, who typically receive generic damage bonuses that apply to any type. With few exceptions, Caldari ships don't even rank in the Top 10 picks for any specific hull size or category. So this is a simple and straightforward petition:

• Nighthawk receives 7.5% bonus to Heavy Assault and Heavy Missile Damage
• Drake receives 10% bonus to Heavy Missile and Heavy Assault Damage
• Tengu receives 5% bonus to Missile Damage on the Accelerated Ejection Bay
• Cerberus receives 5% bonus to Missile Damage
• Onyx receives 5% bonus to Missile Damage
• Osprey Navy receives a 10% bonus to Missile Damage
• Corax receives 5% bonus to Light Missile and Rocket Damage
• Hawk receives 10% bonus to Missile Damage
• Buzzard receives 5% bonus to Missile Damage
• Crow receives 10% bonus to Missile Damage
• Hookbill Navy receives 20% bonus to Missile Damage
• Condor receives 10% bonus to Light Missile and Rocket Damage

I think that's it. Oh, I missed one...

• Phoenix receives 5% bonus to Missile Damage

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-12-20 00:00:53 UTC
What buff will amarr and gallente gunboats, and T2 projectile ammo, receive to go along with this? They're all limited in damage types too...
Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-12-20 00:01:08 UTC
Actually, only the minmatar get a bonus to all types of damage.

Amarr only get em/thermal bonuses, gallente only get kin/therm. Yes, they both get drones, but you're either using thermal for nearly everything pve, or getting laughed at for using a drone carrier in pvp.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4 - 2013-12-20 00:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Danika Princip wrote:
What buff will amarr and gallente gunboats, and T2 projectile ammo, receive to go along with this? They're all limited in damage types too...

Why does every turret player have to attempt to hijack missile threads? Put your proposal forward on its own merits.

Dorian Wylde wrote:

Amarr only get em/thermal bonuses, gallente only get kin/therm. Yes, they both get drones, but you're either using thermal for nearly everything pve, or getting laughed at for using a drone carrier in pvp.

Yes they do, so I don't see why Caldari hulls shouldn't have the same consideration (especially considering the majority are missile-based). As for drones, the point is that you can use all damage types without a damage-specific penalty. Or would it be fair to only give Amarr hulls an EM drone bonus, Gallente a Thermal, Minmatar Explosive and Amarr EM? No, we wouldn't dare suggest that (well, maybe none except the Gallente) - but it's ok for Caldari ships to be limited largely to kinetic-specific bonuses.

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-12-20 00:11:25 UTC
Dorian Wylde wrote:

Drone carriers are doing VERY well in PVP atm. But even they only use therm or explosive.
Seranova Farreach
Biomass Negative
#6 - 2013-12-20 00:15:41 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

they already had their buffs while missles continuously get nerfed

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2013-12-20 00:16:05 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Why does every turret player have to attempt to hijack missile threads? Put your proposal forward on its own merits.

What does that even mean? You're asking for a race to no-longer be reliant on one damage type. I am asking you what the other three races, all of which are reliant on one or two damage types, would get to balance the scales.
Seranova Farreach
Biomass Negative
#8 - 2013-12-20 00:17:03 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Dorian Wylde wrote:

Drone carriers are doing VERY well in PVP atm. But even they only use therm or explosive.

explosive usually to take advantage of the explosive hole when they get a ship into armor, harder if its bricktanked ofc.

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#9 - 2013-12-20 00:25:02 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
What does that even mean? You're asking for a race to no-longer be reliant on one damage type. I am asking you what the other three races, all of which are reliant on one or two damage types, would get to balance the scales.

What do gunnery ammunition bonuses have to do with kinetic-specific bonuses? About as much bearing as the price of Fedos in Jita. But since you specifically asked... Gallente have drones which can apply multiple damage types, and have a comparable number of hybrid-only hulls to the Caldari... Minmatar can apply any damage type with projectiles, missiles or drones... The only race that is somewhat hamstrung is the Amarr, and I'm not entirely sure how to address that beyond expanding the number of missile ships or giving them some additional ammunition (neither of which I'm opposed to).

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-12-20 00:25:23 UTC
Seranova Farreach wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Dorian Wylde wrote:

explosive usually to take advantage of the explosive hole when they get a ship into armor, harder if its bricktanked ofc.

No, explosive is minmatar drones which are for catching frigates (warriors). Pretty much every other situation galente drones come out ahead because of raw damage output. (sentries also see a little bit of variation depending on the range, but medium and heavy drones it's galente or GTFO)
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-12-20 00:32:39 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

What do gunnery ammunition bonuses have to do with kinetic-specific bonuses? About as much bearing as the price of Fedos in Jita. But since you specifically asked... Gallente have drones which can apply multiple damage types, and have a comparable number of hybrid-only hulls to the Caldari... Minmatar can apply any damage type with projectiles, missiles or drones... The only race that is somewhat hamstrung is the Amarr, and I'm not entirely sure how to address that beyond expanding the number of missile ships or giving them some additional ammunition (neither of which I'm opposed to).

So...the vast majority of caldari hulls should have true damage type selection with no drawbacks whatsoever, wheras the only other race that can come close is minmatarr using faction ammo...(You do know that T2 projectile ammo is all explosive/kinetic, right? And drones can be shot down fairly easily...) And the reason for this is...?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#12 - 2013-12-20 00:40:41 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
So...the vast majority of caldari hulls should have true damage type selection with no drawbacks whatsoever, wheras the only other race that can come close is minmatarr using faction ammo...(You do know that T2 projectile ammo is all explosive/kinetic, right? And drones can be shot down fairly easily...) And the reason for this is...?

Yes, because shield-based hulls and missiles with time-to-impact delays don't offer any drawbacks at all. That's why everywhere I look, Caldari hulls dot the horizon... Are you seriously trying to convince me that most players use T2 ammunition for PvP? Your only argument for why this change shouldn't be considered is... "because".

Because Gallente can use hybrids and drones, so they're not really limited...
Because Minmatar can use missiles, projectiles and drones - applying any damage type...
Because Amarr... well, as I already indicated - not entirely sure what to do there. Come up with an interesting proposal and I'll support it.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2013-12-20 00:50:25 UTC
I'm not coming up with a rpoposal though, that's not what this thread is about. It's about the discussion of YOUR proposal, so coming back with 'Well you say somethign better then' is kind of worthless.

Caldari hulls have drones, and they have gunboats too. And drones, outside of sentries, kind of suck in PVP anyway.

T2 ammo has it's niche, and if rage missiles were available in all flavours on all caldari hulls, guess what kind of ammo would get used in them in PVP?

Hell, you can already use any damage type in a caldari missile hull, you just don't get the bonus. Gallente and Amarr are locked on EM/Therm, they cannot do another damage type with thier guns.

If you want the damage type restriction removed, either propose buffs to the other guys to make up for it, or propose a different drawback.
Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#14 - 2013-12-20 00:56:35 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

Caldari hulls have drones

Roll
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#15 - 2013-12-20 01:01:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Danika Princip wrote:
If you want the damage type restriction removed, either propose buffs to the other guys to make up for it, or propose a different drawback.

I don't have to... Missiles are already at a disadvantage, otherwise they'd be dominating fleet actions and kill mails. I mean, everyone uses Phoenix dreadnaughts... Roll

Zvaarian the Red wrote:
Roll

I know, right? Those Caldari droneships are a real menace! Lol

Iudicium Vastus
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-12-20 04:20:01 UTC
Things like Amarr and Gallente have no damage type bonus because they're perma-locked in those ranges. They get the flat 'turret rate of fire/damage' bonuses because we already know what they're gonna do. Tons of EM for amarr (with some thermal) and Thermal for Gallente (with some kinetic). While most ammo in Projectile is rather all over the place, the T2 ammo is all distinctly explosive heavy.

Giving Caldari general damage bonuses on such a wide scale is just an across-the-board buff.

Gee, and I thought people were supposed cry over when things get more generalized and made the same. But anytime the Caldari damage bonuses come up, people chime for homogenization, giving up the racial flavors.

[u]Nerf stabs/cloaks in FW?[/u] No, just.. -Fit more points -Fit faction points -Bring a friend or two with points (an alt is fine too)

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#17 - 2013-12-20 04:26:39 UTC
Dorian Wylde wrote:

That is true until you take a look at projectile t2 ammo, which doesn't get the flexibility of t2 missile ammo.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#18 - 2013-12-20 04:59:45 UTC
Wouldn't it be more important to make missiles suck less instead? Minmatar missile ships usually get damage selection but don't have as much raw dps. Giving Caldari ships damage selection means they would be nerfed.
Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#19 - 2013-12-20 05:04:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Daenika
To be fair, not *all* Amarr boats are laser. There are a number of them that use predominantly drones (which can use any) or missiles. Specifically, the Vengeance, Malediction, Heretic, Sacrilege, Legion (with Assault Optimization), and Damnation all primarily use and receive bonuses to missile damage. In addition, the Magnate, Anathema, Dragoon, Arbitrator, Curse, Prophecy, and Armageddon all have at least as many launcher hardpoints as turrets, and receive no specific bonuses to any turrets (and all of them except the Magnate and Anathema instead receive bonuses to drones). I'm intentionally excluding the Purifier, as it's obviously irrelevant.

That's a fair amount of missile-oriented ships, and not a single one of them has an EM focus (the Purifier being the only Amarr ship that has an EM exclusive bonus). Minmatar are the same way, the only ship of theirs that has an explosive-specific launcher bonus is the Hound.

So yes, every single race has a secondary option for weapon systems that allow omni damage types on a fair number of their hulls. Minmatar have that innately with faction ammo on projectiles, as well as their non-typed missile bonuses. Gallente have drones. Amarr have missiles and drones. Caldari...have hybrids, which allow thermal in addition to their base kinetic, that's it.

Basically, it just flat makes sense to remove the restriction to kinetic damage.
Omega Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-12-20 05:09:32 UTC
This has been already presented by DHB Wildcat, minnie boats can choose damage types. I don't see why caldari shouldn't
123Next pageLast page