These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Collision Damage

Author
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2013-12-17 21:27:49 UTC
A few considerations to improve the idea:
- Only shieldless ships do or receive ramming damage. Bumping a shielded ship has no effects, being bumped while still having shields has no effects.
- Damage is inflicted on both ships.
- The ammount of damage is a relation of the speed of the bump and the mass of the ships involved, hence a cruiser bumping a freighter would obviously take more damage than the freighter itself. A frigate bumping a capital ship at high speed would be severely damaged.
- 100MN Afterburner cruisers must be fixed.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Pipa Porto
#22 - 2013-12-17 21:45:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Nag'o wrote:
- Only shieldless ships do or receive ramming damage. Bumping a shielded ship has no effects, being bumped while still having shields has no effects.

Why should only armor tankers be affected by the change? What is the gameplay benefit to limiting the mechanic to those without shields?
Incidentally, your ship always has some shields, because it regenerates a couple points every tick.

Who gets CONCORDed?

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#23 - 2013-12-17 21:50:19 UTC
Quote:

Please don't ignore me. I said shields. Everyone undocks with shields full. You only lose shields if you're already in a fight.

Maybe this could not trigger the agression timer. It could do small damage compared to weapons.

I wasn't responding to you. Your ideas are problematic for different reasons already spelled out. If you make it not give an aggression timer but do low damage, then the mechanic serves no gameplay purpose whatsoever.
Hopelesshobo
Hoboland
#24 - 2013-12-18 00:16:11 UTC
Posting in a secret buff titans thread.

However we actually might see titans on grid more often then when there is a battleship fleet shooting some structures, just go bowling and pop half their battleships when your titans land.

Lowering the average to make you look better since 2012.

supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#25 - 2013-12-18 00:17:56 UTC
Just turn the mechanic off in high and let it run everywhere else
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2013-12-18 00:26:06 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:

How would that even remotely make sense?
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-12-18 00:54:11 UTC
There's absolutely no chance of this happening.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Vardec Crom
The Harpooner's Rest
#28 - 2013-12-18 01:07:00 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

4. I guess we'd potentially see more Supercarrrier and Titan use. Lol

Obviously you haven't been near null anytime in the last 5 years.

Anyway, bumping will always be a part of EVE and collisions never will be.
Pipa Porto
#29 - 2013-12-18 04:06:34 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:

Why should highsec have different physical rules from everywhere else?

-RubyPorto

Lady Areola Fappington
#30 - 2013-12-18 04:18:29 UTC
Just remember, anything you get, I also get.

We can depend on CONCORD to enforce the rules on illegal aggression when a mining barge causes collision damage on my alt's newb ship, correct? I'm pretty sure I can arrange to not have shields when that happens, if for some reason, shields need to be a mechanic for this.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Lucy Riraille
Taxeva
#31 - 2013-12-18 09:58:00 UTC
Maybe the problems with accidentially bumping and purposelx ramming could be solved via the UI.

CCP could install a "Ram Target" button, which can only be activated in Hisec, when safety is flipped to yellow or red.

Then there wouldn't be a discussion of who bumped who.

So far for the technical side. If an unmistakable distinction between bumong an ramming can be made, it could be implemented as a valid pvp tactic. Although I would suggest that a ramming ship would remain immobile after the charge for a certain period of time, similar to the decloaking penalty...
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-12-18 10:49:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Pipa Porto wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

Why should only armor tankers be affected by the change? What is the gameplay benefit to limiting the mechanic to those without shields?
Incidentally, your ship always has some shields, because it regenerates a couple points every tick.

Who gets CONCORDed?

The benefit of limiting it to shieldless ships is to not have accidental bumping provoking ship damage... It doens't need to be zero shields, it can be something like <5% shields provoke collision damage.

Reading Lucy Riraille's post made me think of a solution for the aggression mechanics. The ramming only happens if a MWD is on.
So whoever has the MWD on at the time of the bump gets an agression timer.
Maybe yellow flagging MWD in highsec?

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Pipa Porto
#33 - 2013-12-18 11:48:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Nag'o wrote:
The benefit of limiting it to shieldless ships is to not have accidental bumping provoking ship damage... It doens't need to be zero shields, it can be something like <5% shields provoke collision damage.

So, how does limiting the mechanic to armor tankers and ships already in the process of dying provide a gameplay benefit?
Negating a crippling problem introduced by the mechanic in question is hardly a benefit, as that problem can more easily be resolved by not introducing it in the first place.

Quote:
Reading Lucy Riraille's post made me think of a solution for the aggression mechanics. The ramming only happens if a MWD is on.

So now activating a prop mod is a suspect action? Also, a suspect flag doesn't get you CONCORDed, so WHEEEE free ganking (or at least cheaper ganking, as you only need to suicide gank away the shield HP).

-RubyPorto

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-12-18 12:47:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Pipa Porto wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

So, how does limiting the mechanic to armor tankers and ships already in the process of dying provide a gameplay benefit?
Negating a crippling problem introduced by the mechanic in question is hardly a benefit, as that problem can more easily be resolved by not introducing it in the first place.

The gameplay benefit is a ramming tactic. What is the crippling problem?

Pipa Porto wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

So now activating a prop mod is a suspect action? Also, a suspect flag doesn't get you CONCORDed, so WHEEEE free ganking (or at least cheaper ganking, as you only need to suicide gank away the shield HP).

By yellow flagging I meant that activating it requires you to turn the yellow pvp flag on. You know, that same way you have to if you want to use smartbombs in highsec. It's not an optimal idea, it's just one idea I came up with. Another idea could be a ramming propulsion module, but I personally don't like it.

If you want to use the proposed ramming for suicide ganking you have to:
1 - tear your target's shield off
2 - tear your own ramming ship's shield off (can be done before 1 but it's risky, since your shields can regenerate)
3 - burn with your MWD on towards and hit the target
Simply MWD bumping a shielded ship does not damages it, so it's not as WHEEEE as you say.

Pipa Porto
#35 - 2013-12-18 13:15:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Nag'o wrote:
The gameplay benefit is a ramming tactic. What is the crippling problem?

And what benefit does limiting that tactic to ships without shields bring?
The crippling problem is the whole "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee free ganking" bit.

Incidentally, ramming other ships has been an important tactic for about a decade now in various forms. Why does it need to come with bonus damage (but only in some circumstances and on alternate Tuesdays)?

Quote:
By yellow flagging I meant that activating it requires you to turn the yellow pvp flag on. You know, that same way you have to if you want to use smartbombs in highsec. It's not an optimal idea, it's just one idea I came up with. Another idea could be a ramming propulsion module, but I personally don't like it.

If you want to use the proposed ramming for suicide ganking you have to:
1 - tear your target's shield off
2 - tear your own ramming ship's shield off (can be done before 1 but it's risky, since your shields can regenerate)
3 - burn with your MWD on towards and hit the target
Simply MWD bumping a shielded ship does not damages it, so it's not as WHEEEE as you say.

Switching the safety to yellow means that the game will no longer prevent you from performing actions which will render you a Suspect. Saying that activating your MWD requires a yellow safety means that activating your MWD will render you a suspect.

Activating a Smartbomb requires you to set your safety to red, as it is an action that can render you a Criminal.

Like I said, now you only lose the ships needed to deal your target's shield HP in damage, while your Suspect bumpers can burn down the targets Armor and Hull. Keeping your own shield HP down is trivial, and people have gotten pretty good at bumping over the decade or so that it's been an important PvP mechanic, so they'll be hitting their targets. So yes, far cheaper ganking. Did you miss the parenthetical?

I'm not saying that vastly cheaper ganks is a bad thing, just that some might see it as somewhat unbalancing.

And of course, why should activating a propulsion module be an illegal action?

-RubyPorto

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-12-18 13:27:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Pipa Porto wrote:

Switching the safety to yellow means that the game will no longer prevent you from performing actions which will render you a Suspect. Saying that activating your MWD requires a yellow safety means that activating your MWD will render you a suspect.

Activating a Smartbomb requires you to set your safety to red, as it is an action that can render you a Criminal.

Like I said, now you only lose the ships needed to deal your target's shield HP in damage, while your Suspect bumpers can burn down the targets Armor and Hull. Keeping your own shield HP down is trivial, and people have gotten pretty good at bumping over the decade or so that it's been an important PvP mechanic, so they'll be hitting their targets. So yes, far cheaper ganking. Did you miss the parenthetical?

And of course, why should activating a propulsion module be an illegal action?

My bad, I meant red safety. Just like a smartbomb you only get a criminal flag (not suspect) if you damage someone by ramming him.
Activating the propulsion module by itself would not be illegal, just like activating a smartbomb is not. It's illegal only if you damage someone else's ship with it.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2013-12-18 13:28:47 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:

The benefit is reducing the chance of accidental ramming. I already answered that.

Pipa Porto
#38 - 2013-12-18 13:36:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Nag'o wrote:
My bad, I meant red safety. Just like a smartbomb you only get a criminal flag (not suspect) if you damage someone by ramming him.
Activating the propulsion module by itself would not be illegal, just like activating a smartbomb is not. It's only illegal if you damage someone else's ship with it.

Ok, why should activating a Prop Mod bring Concord down on your head just because you bounced off of something in an armor tanking mission ship?

Why is the need for collision damage so pressing that, even with vast limitations* you're willing to effectively ban prop mods (and all that come with them) in HS to get it?

At a certain point you have to look at what caveats, exemptions, and special rules you've had to carve out and see if the wheel still looks round.

*Only with an active prop mod**. Only if both ships have empty shields. Only on alternate Tuesdays.

**Because, I guess, an MWD Rifter has more damaging potential than a Mach who just switched his MWD off. Roll

Nag'o wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:

The benefit is reducing the chance of accidental ramming. I already answered that.

Again, fixing a problem introduced by the proposal is not a benefit. It is a kludge.
Is there any gameplay benefit, not related to fixing problems introduced by collision damage in the first place, that limiting that mechanic to shieldless ships brings?

-RubyPorto

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2013-12-18 13:47:21 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:

Ok, why should activating a Prop Mod bring Concord down on your head just because you bounced off of something in an armor tanking mission ship?

Again, fixing a problem introduced by the proposal is not a benefit. It is a kludge.
Is there any gameplay benefit, not related to fixing problems introduced by collision damage in the first place, that limiting that mechanic to shieldless ships brings?

"Why is CONCORD killing my ship because I damaged this cloaked dude in my mission site? I didn't meant to!"

Also, there are no problems, because this isn't implemented yet. If it ever gets implemented it must not cause any problems.

You're starting to talk just like the regular rethorical F&I troll. No real points, just "don't give new ideas to my game, boo" comments.

Pipa Porto
#40 - 2013-12-18 14:08:47 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
"Why is CONCORD killing my ship because I damaged this cloaked dude in my mission site? I didn't meant to!"

I was talking about the various collide-able scatter found in most every mission. Damaging non-Hostile NPC stuff tends to get you CONCORDed.

Quote:
Also, there are no problems, because this isn't implemented yet. If it ever gets implemented it must not cause any problems.

You're starting to talk just like the regular rethorical F&I troll. No real points, just "don't give new ideas to my game, boo" comments.

Sweet, every idea is perfect because it hasn't been tested yet. Therefore, nothing should ever be tested, that way the ideas will remain perfect.

You get that this exchange doesn't actually make sense as an argument, right:
Me: "Anticipated Problem"
You: "Well it's not an actual problem because we haven't implemented it yet, so we can ignore it."

In other words, Is there any gameplay benefit, not related to fixing problems that will be introduced by collision damage in the first place, that limiting that mechanic to shieldless ships brings*?

Why the prop mod only limitation? Is there any gameplay benefit, not related to fixing problems that will be introduced by collision damage in the first place,** that limiting the mechanic to the magical kinetic energy only provided by prop mods provides?

Is there any gameplay benefit, not related to fixing problems that will be introduced by collision damage in the first place***, that forcing people to fly around with red safeties in order to use a simple prop mod provides?

You're making the proposal. Surely you can figure out how to articulate the pressing need for this mechanic?
In what ways will collision damage improve the game?****

*Armor only is your kludge to solve the Freighter in front of Jita problem.
**The prop mod idea is your kludge to determine who the aggressor is.
***Red safeties for prop mods is your kludge to fix free/low cost ganking.
****"We need X mechanic because it will give us X mechanic" is circular, not a proper answer.

P.S.
You might want to look up what "Rhetoric" actually is before you end up complimenting people in your ad hominem attacks.

-RubyPorto