These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why did NSA avoid EVE Online?

Author
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-12-12 03:19:45 UTC
We really are all Chribba's alts... They don't need to spy on just one guy.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Malaclypse Muscaria
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#42 - 2013-12-12 04:30:56 UTC
I find it hard to believe someone at the NSA genuinely thought they would be catching "terrorists" or somesuchs on an MMOG.

Sounds to me more like some smartasses managed to swindle their superiors into letting them play online video games as part of their daily jobs.

Emiko P'eng
#43 - 2013-12-16 10:33:13 UTC
Hehe!

Don't worry the NSA cannot touch the EVE servers as they are in the UK.

So they got us Brits to do their dirty work and inflitrate the EVE servers for them, I expect Roll

BBC Click - Why British and US spies are infiltrating online games

Now how do I persude them to spy on my competitors for me Big smile
Reiisha
#44 - 2013-12-16 10:42:07 UTC
Anny Jackson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/world/spies-dragnet-reaches-a-playing-field-of-elves-and-trolls.html?_r=1&

I mean they were spying for WoW and Second Life, but not for EVE. Or they tried but couldn't handle with counterspying?

Where do you think the Goons come from?

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#45 - 2013-12-16 12:17:06 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Anny Jackson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/world/spies-dragnet-reaches-a-playing-field-of-elves-and-trolls.html?_r=1&

I mean they were spying for WoW and Second Life, but not for EVE. Or they tried but couldn't handle with counterspying?

Where do you think the Goons come from?

CIA.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#46 - 2013-12-16 22:55:47 UTC
There is no spai here.
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-12-17 03:24:15 UTC
Emiko P'eng wrote:
Hehe!

Don't worry the NSA cannot touch the EVE servers as they are in the UK.

So they got us Brits to do their dirty work and inflitrate the EVE servers for them, I expect Roll

BBC Click - Why British and US spies are infiltrating online games

Now how do I persude them to spy on my competitors for me Big smile

British spies have been a bit nuts. That's what happens when everyone just assumes you're sane and competent while you hide all the evidence of your successes and failures.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-12-17 09:27:39 UTC
because EVE isn't a USA game.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#49 - 2013-12-17 09:48:44 UTC
Random McNally wrote:
They just didn't want to admit they fell prey to isk doublers.

Well i guess that explains the UK's deficit, Erotica 1 has it. Lol
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#50 - 2013-12-17 12:23:07 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:

The typical "spy" for, say, the NSA isn't gonna give a damn what an EVE alliance has regarding in-game stuff.

Lets say, for ***** and giggles, there's a person of interest in an alliance that the NSA/CIA wants to listen in on. It's likely going to go down like this:

Spy joins alliance, watchlists target.
Spy listens in on Ventrillo/teamspeak.
Spy records the person of interest's login/logoff times.
Spy reports this up the chain.
Spy draws as little attention to himself as possible.

Higherups then use the login/logoff patterns, along with intel gathered from other sources, to dronestrike the Person of Interest when they know he's sitting in front of the computer playing EVE.

That's the kind of info the CIA would find useful, and wouldn't expose the agent too much to gather.

BUSTED!!!! BURN THE HERETIC AT THE STAKE!!!! TwistedTwistedTwisted
Robby Altair
#51 - 2013-12-17 18:29:10 UTC
As referred on The Colbert Report(2013.12.16).

"Documents contain no indication that the surveillance ever foiled any terrorist plots, nor is there any clear evidence that terror groups were using the virtual communities to communicate as the intelligence agencies predicted." Ah,... that was a secret.

Hay, where has all the time and money been spent. Probably spying on former BF/GF,... or people they would like as BF/GF.

Refs:
Xbox Live among game services targeted by US and UK spy agencies

NSA Employees Spied On Romantic Interests In The Past: Report

Room 3420 Boelter Hall UCLA

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-12-17 18:35:50 UTC
Robby Altair wrote:
As referred on The Colbert Report(2013.12.16).

"Documents contain no indication that the surveillance ever foiled any terrorist plots, nor is there any clear evidence that terror groups were using the virtual communities to communicate as the intelligence agencies predicted." Ah,... that was a secret.

Hay, where has all the time and money been spent. Probably spying on former BF/GF,... or people they would like as BF/GF.

Refs:
Xbox Live among game services targeted by US and UK spy agencies

NSA Employees Spied On Romantic Interests In The Past: Report

The real question you need to ask yourself: Does the NSA have any programs that are actually successful at catching terrorists ?
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#53 - 2013-12-17 19:31:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Its just the way to play WoW in your work, paying with the public money. Smile
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#54 - 2013-12-17 20:50:55 UTC
I think the reason the NSA avoided EVE was because of the tutorial.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#55 - 2013-12-17 22:00:40 UTC
You seem to be an NSA agent spying on Eve. It would be a shame if something happened to your boot.ini file.
Tanesha Kring
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2013-12-18 08:10:11 UTC
Pontianak Sythaeryn wrote:
Anya Klibor wrote:
World of Warcraft and Second Life are based in the United States, so the NSA could get a FISA court to issue a warrant to do so and then have Blizzard and the creators of Second Life served with those unConstitutional warrants that also prevent them from mentioning the fact they are doing so. However, EvE Online s based out of Iceland, and the servers are in England. That extrajudicial territory, and even if they did serve CCP with the same paperwork, as a non-US entity they aren't required to follow through with the requirements not to mention it or tell anyone. The most the US government can do is prevent us from playing EvE Online again, but that would cause a diplomatic incident, believe it or not.

I was under the understanding the NSA has more spying powers on foreign communications than domestic. That is the biggest way they sweep up U.S. communications, is by sweeping up data that goes in and out of the U.S.

Not to mention that, ideally a intelligence service has a lot less restrictions on how they operate outside of there own country. The NSA for instance only needs the approval of the Senate (stress ideally since this isn't apparently the case, although Senate Intelligence Committee can and has lied in the past about their involvement in ops) to conduct a operation against a foreign power. Outside of that they have any and all means to conduct their operation, because since it's committing criminal acts inside another nation normal legal and ethical considerations do not apply.
Steven Alfrir
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2013-12-18 08:10:47 UTC
Anya Klibor wrote:
World of Warcraft and Second Life are based in the United States, so the NSA could get a FISA court to issue a warrant to do so and then have Blizzard and the creators of Second Life served with those unConstitutional warrants that also prevent them from mentioning the fact they are doing so. However, EvE Online s based out of Iceland, and the servers are in England. That extrajudicial territory, and even if they did serve CCP with the same paperwork, as a non-US entity they aren't required to follow through with the requirements not to mention it or tell anyone. The most the US government can do is prevent us from playing EvE Online again, but that would cause a diplomatic incident, believe it or not.

Please explain how the US Government preventing it's citizens from playing eve online cause a diplomatic incident because i can't see how it would.

I like crazy plans

Steven Alfrir
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2013-12-18 08:14:44 UTC
Malaclypse Muscaria wrote:
I find it hard to believe someone at the NSA genuinely thought they would be catching "terrorists" or somesuchs on an MMOG.

Sounds to me more like some smartasses managed to swindle their superiors into letting them play online video games as part of their daily jobs.

Be very careful in what you say because bad things would very likely befall someone who badmouths a NSA or GCHQ agent.

I like crazy plans

Amber Kurvora
#59 - 2013-12-18 09:25:48 UTC
I'd imagine it has something to do with the KGB levels of paranoia Eve can induce.

"You say were in an NPC corp for six months? We want receipts, proof of the missions run, you're incomings and out goings on a daily basis, as well as the details of all your contacts. Oh, and if you want to mail your passport over so we can verify who you are..."
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-12-19 17:05:49 UTC
Jane Schereau wrote:
Us CEO's do our jobs too well, they would never get into my corp >_<

Unless it's a 1 man corp, you have no guarantees of that.

That person you recruited last week, it could be them.