These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Collision Damage

Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1 - 2013-12-17 18:33:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
If we have reasonable collision detection for ships, we should be able to apply damage accordingly. In the same vein that 'bumping' is a valid tactic, so should 'ramming'. Simply put: with enough mass and momentum, you should be able to severely damage or even destroy another ship. Shields would bear the initial brunt, followed by armor and hull (with no reduction for resistances). I'm not suggesting we extend this to asteroids, stations and similar objects - only ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLN36pgwS5o

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#2 - 2013-12-17 18:59:43 UTC
How do you account for security mechanics? If two ships in hisec (say, on the Jita undock) bump into each other, which one gets CONCORDed?

What's to stop me from MWDing a fleet of otherwise-unfit rifters into a freighter for virtually-free suicide ganks?

How do you determine how damage is applied? How does the ramming damage of various ships fit into the broader balance? If I see that I'm losing a fight, should I be able to just slam my ship into theirs and make it a draw?

What stops nullsec alliances from using titans and supercarriers in conjunction with warpins to bowl over smaller caps and subcapitals?

When writing this post, did you put any thought at all into how this would play out ingame, or are you just saying things?
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-12-17 19:04:48 UTC
a lot of people have invisioned this as a feature but never come up with a realistic way it could be implenmented in a game environment.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#4 - 2013-12-17 19:07:01 UTC
the Jita node would melt into slag thanks to all of the bumping that goes on at the 4-4 undock.

In theory nice idea,
In practice, not yet available.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-12-17 19:12:25 UTC
Ships only deal and receive bumping damage if they are out of shields. There you go, half of the issues solved.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6 - 2013-12-17 19:15:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Kahega Amielden wrote:
How do you account for security mechanics? If two ships in hisec (say, on the Jita undock) bump into each other, which one gets CONCORDed?

What's to stop me from MWDing a fleet of otherwise-unfit rifters into a freighter for virtually-free suicide ganks?

How do you determine how damage is applied? How does the ramming damage of various ships fit into the broader balance? If I see that I'm losing a fight, should I be able to just slam my ship into theirs and make it a draw?

What stops nullsec alliances from using titans and supercarriers in conjunction with warpins to bowl over smaller caps and subcapitals?

When writing this post, did you put any thought at all into how this would play out ingame, or are you just saying things?

1. Neither - below a certain threshold there wouldn't be any effect. In the Jita undock example, most of the ships are moving parallel - so the effect would be negligible (regardless of respective speeds).
2. Nothing, except that considering the mass of the freighter the Rifters would have little to no effect (aside from damaging to destroying themselves).
3. Velocity, mass, angle of attack, etc. If you're losing a fight, chances are you'll either do more damage to yourself (provided you're not webbed or scrammed and could actually reach a high enough velocity in the first place).
4. I guess we'd potentially see more Supercarrrier and Titan use. Lol

When replying to this post, did you just look for ways that this wouldn't work - or are you actually interested in participating?

Nag'o wrote:
Ships only deal and receive bumping damage if they are out of shields. There you go, half of the issues solved.

There you go.

Pipa Porto
#7 - 2013-12-17 19:36:56 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
1. Neither - below a certain threshold there wouldn't be any effect. In the Jita undock example, most of the ships are moving parallel - so the effect would be negligible (regardless of respective speeds).
2. Nothing, except that considering the mass of the freighter the Rifters would have little to no effect (aside from damaging to destroying themselves).

1. So if I park a Freighter on the Jita undock and run some reps on it, I get to gank everyone undocking. Neat.
2. Ok, MWD Stabbers. These actually have more kinetic energy than a Freighter. By quite a bit.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2013-12-17 19:37:57 UTC
Nag'o wrote:

Why do you hate armour tanks?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#9 - 2013-12-17 19:43:01 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
1. So if I park a Freighter on the Jita undock and run some reps on it, I get to gank everyone undocking. Neat.
2. Ok, MWD Stabbers. These actually have more kinetic energy than a Freighter. By quite a bit.

Not sure what part of "negligible" (aka: nothing) you din't get get…

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-12-17 19:49:47 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:

Who wouldn't love to see hundreds of frigs popping at a giant capital ship for ridiculous amounts of damage and lols?

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-12-17 19:50:14 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:

Plated MWD stabbers have lots of mass and momentum...
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-12-17 19:52:04 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

No, I love them, plus explosions.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2013-12-17 20:06:20 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

Making shield tanks immune to ramming, but leaving armour vulnerable to it is kind of a tremendous nerf to armour tanks you know.
zbaaca
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#14 - 2013-12-17 20:08:00 UTC
idea is nice implementation is almost impossible.

Bugs are opportunities to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction. --Zorgn ♡♡♡

Pipa Porto
#15 - 2013-12-17 20:15:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:

So a ship travelling faster than its maximum speed won't do damage or be damaged by ramming straight into an enormous, massive, stationary ship in your proposal?

Then what conditions would result in damage?

Or was there some part of "park" you din't get get...

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-12-17 20:35:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Danika Princip wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

Making shield tanks immune to ramming, but leaving armour vulnerable to it is kind of a tremendous nerf to armour tanks you know.

No, because they are only vulnerable to other shieldless ships. A shielded ship would be unable to ram other ships because of it's own shield.

EDIT: It would be an armor tanked exclusive tactic. See? I love them.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-12-17 20:36:25 UTC
zbaaca wrote:
idea is nice implementation is almost impossible.

Would need insane amounts of balancing. It's a huge change I only defend for the sake of coolness.

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#18 - 2013-12-17 20:56:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Kahega Amielden
Quote:

3. Velocity, mass, angle of attack, etc. If you're losing a fight, chances are you'll either do more damage to yourself (provided you're not webbed or scrammed and could actually reach a high enough velocity in the first place).
4. I guess we'd potentially see more Supercarrrier and Titan use.

1. If I CTRL + Space in front of the Jita undock in, say, a frigate, and a freighter undocks...that freighter will crash at its full speed into my tiny frigate. How do we define the aggressor in this circumstance? Does the frigate get CONCORDOKKENed or does the freighter? If the former, then I can make people get CONCORDED by simply ramming them. If the latter, then I can kill freighters with virtually no effort on my part with no hope of the freighter avoiding it.

2. Okay. And if I use a bunch of 1600mm-plated MWD stabbers to, say, gank mining ships or t2 ships? Can I suicide gank a Claymore by ramming a few stabbers into it?

3. Losing vs winning a fight has nothing to do with who takes more damage from the ramming.

4. Is that good gameplay? It sounds pretty stupid from my perspective.

Quote:

When replying to this post, did you just look for ways that this wouldn't work - or are you actually interested in participating?

Part of the "discussion" in "features and ideas discussion" is telling people why their ideas don't work.
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-12-17 21:09:26 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:

If it's negligible, then you're just eating up server resources for nothing. So negligible damage is worse than no collision damage.

If it's not negligible, then you need to think about Concords reaction. Including in the case of a mission running using an MWD and ramming into another player who parked in front of him.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:

When you posted this thread did you want honest discussion. Or did you just want anyone who can think to shut up ?
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-12-17 21:11:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Kahega Amielden wrote:

1. If I CTRL + Space in front of the Jita undock in, say, a frigate, and a freighter undocks...that freighter will crash at its full speed into my tiny frigate. How do we define the aggressor in this circumstance? Does the frigate get CONCORDOKKENed or does the freighter? If the former, then I can make people get CONCORDED by simply ramming them. If the latter, then I can kill freighters with virtually no effort on my part with no hope of the freighter avoiding it.

2. Okay. And if I use a bunch of 1600mm-plated MWD stabbers to, say, gank mining ships or t2 ships? Can I suicide gank a Claymore by ramming a few stabbers into it?

3. Losing vs winning a fight has nothing to do with who takes more damage from the ramming.

4. Is that good gameplay? It sounds pretty stupid from my perspective.

Please don't ignore me. I said shields. Everyone undocks with shields full. You only lose shields if you're already in a fight.

Maybe this could not trigger the agression timer. It could do small damage compared to weapons.

Also, I think this is awesome gameplay.

123Next pageLast page