These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Smoking while Playing Eve - PSA

First post
Author
Black Panpher
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2013-12-16 18:18:05 UTC
Nicotine isn't addictive, I have smoked for 14years and I am not addicted!
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#42 - 2013-12-16 18:55:02 UTC
That's true, it must not be the nicotine that's addictive. The nicotine gum and patches don't do anything for my addiction. It must be the tar that's addictive. Blink
Malaclypse Muscaria
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#43 - 2013-12-16 22:09:43 UTC
I smoked for 20 years and then quit, my quality of life has improved substantially.

We all know deep inside that the "I'm going to die one way or another, might just as well enjoy myself , X or Y kill more people than tobacco every year, yada yada yada" sort of arguments - and I've used these myself in the past - are complete and utter bollocks: it's just something we use to justify ourselves while we feed and indulge our nicotine addictions.

That great feeling of the first ciggie in the morning? Let's not kid ourselves, it's simply the good feeling of chasing the nicotine withdrawal monkey away.

When you are in your teens, twenties, perhaps even early thirties, all the detrimental effects that tobacco has on your quality of life may not be so dramatically noticeable. Or perhaps we simply turn a blind eye on them, and choose not to care. But the way a tobacco habit negatively affects your well-being in many different regards just gets worse, and worse, as you get older.

But to each their own.

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#44 - 2013-12-16 23:23:04 UTC
VegasMirage wrote:
Please stop this bad habit. It's amazing how many of you still smoke cigarettes.

Come on, it's not the 70's even the tobacco companies advertise you're gonna die if you do it. Stop now. Ok.

Stop over eating please, it is a bad habit. Come on, it's not even the 80's, even the food industry is telling you you will kill yourself if you don't control yourself.
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2013-12-16 23:39:07 UTC
If somebody loves smoking so much they don't care about the ill effects, they should smoke. Some people just simply care more about enjoying their life instead of living slightly longer.

Quality, not quantity.

(I've never smoked in my life)
VegasMirage
Syndicate Enterprise
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#46 - 2013-12-17 03:06:12 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
VegasMirage wrote:
Please stop this bad habit. It's amazing how many of you still smoke cigarettes.

Come on, it's not the 70's even the tobacco companies advertise you're gonna die if you do it. Stop now. Ok.

Stop over eating please, it is a bad habit. Come on, it's not even the 80's, even the food industry is telling you you will kill yourself if you don't control yourself.

I agree with you. Making trans fat illegal was a great move on our govts' part. More responsible decisions like this and health care costs may go down on their own.

Also, government should reimburse you for your gym membership if you use it 120 days out of the year.

no more games... it's real this time!!!

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#47 - 2013-12-17 12:13:42 UTC
VegasMirage wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
VegasMirage wrote:

I agree with you. Making trans fat illegal was a great move on our govts' part. More responsible decisions like this and health care costs may go down on their own.

Also, government should reimburse you for your gym membership if you use it 120 days out of the year.

The insurance companies should do the reimbursement as they are the ones that are making more money on you staying healthy. The society (government included) benefit in totality from a healthier society, but if the 'change' is spear headed and controlled by the government then we are one step closer to the fascist end of the social spectrum. Me no like that.
Pontianak Sythaeryn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-12-17 15:53:35 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
That's true, it must not be the nicotine that's addictive. The nicotine gum and patches don't do anything for my addiction. It must be the tar that's addictive. Blink

Must be the tar, antifreeze, butane, methane, and arsenic.

Anywho, woudn't the better solution for smokers to quit is just to get on the e-ciggys?
VegasMirage
Syndicate Enterprise
#49 - 2013-12-17 18:25:58 UTC  |  Edited by: VegasMirage
Slade Trillgon wrote:
VegasMirage wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
VegasMirage wrote:

The insurance companies should do the reimbursement as they are the ones that are making more money on you staying healthy. The society (government included) benefit in totality from a healthier society, but if the 'change' is spear headed and controlled by the government then we are one step closer to the fascist end of the social spectrum. Me no like that.

How do you make the leap from public safety like controlling what corporations put in our food or using the tax system as an incentive to motivate people to exercise into fascism? What are you the missing link?

And besides that the US is already a fascist state; "when governments and corporations collude against the betterment of the public" defined. And just because it's fascists doesn't mean WE shouldn't try and get some good out of it.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#50 - 2013-12-17 20:47:36 UTC
Pontianak Sythaeryn wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:

Must be the tar, antifreeze, butane, methane, and arsenic.

Anywho, woudn't the better solution for smokers to quit is just to get on the e-ciggys?

I have a relative who swears by e-cigs. He smokes his gadget exclusively now and never touches actual tobacco. And they even let him puff his e-cig in his regular hangout bar.
Kairavi Mrithyakara
#51 - 2013-12-17 22:02:25 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
I have a relative who swears by e-cigs. He smokes his gadget exclusively now and never touches actual tobacco. And they even let him puff his e-cig in his regular hangout bar.

I've got a friend who's managed to stave off smoking all together the same way. I always figured she was one of the lucky ones, who just needed the nicotine. Me, I haven't managed it yet. I've been trying to switch to e-cigs for months, now, but I keep going back to actually baccy. It just feels so much better than a silly plastic thing that glows on the end when you pull on it.

Maybe that's what it is, the feeling of the cigarette, not just the taste. When they can come up with an e-cigarette that's as light as a hand-rolled cig, that cackles when you light it, and doesn't feel like you're masticating a ball-point pen, then I'll switch to them. In the mean time, I'm going to have to make these herbals work..
VegasMirage
Syndicate Enterprise
#52 - 2013-12-17 22:06:12 UTC
Kairavi Mrithyakara wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:

I've got a friend who's managed to stave off smoking all together the same way. I always figured she was one of the lucky ones, who just needed the nicotine. Me, I haven't managed it yet. I've been trying to switch to e-cigs for months, now, but I keep going back to actually baccy. It just feels so much better than a silly plastic thing that glows on the end when you pull on it.

Maybe that's what it is, the feeling of the cigarette, not just the taste. When they can come up with an e-cigarette that's as light as a hand-rolled cig, that cackles when you light it, and doesn't feel like you're masticating a ball-point pen, then I'll switch to them. In the mean time, I'm going to have to make these herbals work..

With all due respect, it's called being Self Destructive.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#53 - 2013-12-17 22:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
VegasMirage wrote:
Kairavi Mrithyakara wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:

With all due respect, it's called being Self Destructive.

I'm sorry man, but you're not winning any charm points here. There are a million things somebody could pick to preach about. Eating chili dogs is self-destructive. Living in a polluted First World country is self-destructive. Working in a stress-filled environment to earn your keep is self-destructive. Playing EVE all night instead of doing your homework, working on your guitar skills, or hanging with your family is (somewhat) self-destructive. I'm sorry, but are you a person who has overcome an addiction and is trying to help people out, or are you just being an opinionated church lady?
Raven Shyanne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2013-12-18 00:21:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Raven Shyanne
Xuixien wrote:
Again, it's not the fact the smoking kills you.

It's the way it kills you.

You get a better nicotine profile from snuff.

I'd rather smell like an ashtray than have to carry around a bottle full of spit. But on the plus side at least you can use snuff/dip in airports and on airplanes.
Malaclypse Muscaria
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2013-12-18 00:32:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Malaclypse Muscaria
Speaking of addictions: I have a compulsive personality, and a marked tendency to abuse the hell out of whatever I may find pleasurable, be it tobacco, booze, weed, video games, sex, food, coffee, reading nonsense... you name it, and I will find a way to abuse it if I find it enjoyable.

I've been abusing one substance or another ever since my mid teens: over the years I've simply switched substances, but the abuse has remained constant. These days it's caffeine in whatever form I can get my hands on, which at least makes me more productive than when I was smoking stupid amounts of weed every single day (I used to grow it myself, so I always had too much of it around - I still binge on it every few months for a week or two, I do like weed a lot, but now I just buy it).

Anyway, kicking tobacco has been the most difficult, with several failed tries and relapses along the way, among other reasons because of the way nicotine addiction messes with your brain, thought processes and dopamine production. But I did some reading about these sort of things, which I found quite helpful in understanding and dealing with it.

In particular, I found this piece quite interesting - it's not specifically about tobacco addiction, but about addiction in general. It's a long read, but well worth it in my opinion for anyone dealing with these sort of things:

The Lizard Brain Addiction Monster

Here's little snippet, follow the link for more:

Quote:
The conflict is really between the higher brain == the prefrontal lobes, and the base brain == the amygdala, or limbic system. The base brain is a wonderful machine, and it is very good at keeping us alive. It is the brain that never sleeps, the brain that remembers to keep us breathing all night long, and the brain that monitors the heart and keeps it going at the correct rate day and night. And the base brain is also the thing that says it is time to eat, and time to reproduce, and base brain says those things quite often, like nearly all of the time.

Everything that a dumb animal needs to survive for millions of years is found in the base brain; ask any frog, turtle, or lizard. Base brains can handle the five basic F's: Feed, ****, Fight or Flee, and Feel Good. (Feel good and avoid feeling bad, especially including avoid getting eaten by a big toothy predator, which really feels bad.) But we great apes have grown huge higher parts of the brain, and we have the ability to think in other channels. And sometimes, what the higher brain thinks is the opposite of what the lower brain thinks. We can logically conclude that we will get greater long-term happiness if we refrain, at least for right now, from pregnancy, or overeating, or intoxication, or drug consumption, while base brain thinks just the opposite, "Do it right now." Base brain doesn't understand "tomorrow" very well. Base brain has always demanded instant gratification. "Food now! Sex now! Feel good now!" Base brain is totally incapable of logically thinking about the long-term consequences of drinking, smoking, and drugging. Base brain can't do that any more than the toad or frog in your back yard can solve math problems.

This base brain / higher brain conflict is still a huge problem when we are dealing with problems like excessive consumption of, or addiction to, drugs and alcohol. In the addict, base brain has come to believe that more drugs and alcohol means more pleasure, and base brain is all for it. And base brain also associates cigarettes, dope and drink with pain-killers, and wants to grab for them at the first sign of hunger, pain, fatigue, or other physical discomfort, or even mental discomfort like nervousness, anxiety, stress, tension, or some other emotional upset. But base brain cannot think logically about the long-term consequences of such consumption; that isn't how base brain works. Base brain just wants its hungers filled right now, period, and its pain killed right now, period.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#56 - 2013-12-18 12:01:50 UTC
Been a smoker since i was a teenager my self.
I will also be the first to admit that i started for the wrong reasons, and i will be one of the first to tell someone that they shouldent pick up the habit until they are older and know what the consequences are (and actually understand them).

That being said, i have no interest in quitting smoking, and it drives me completely mad that smokers seems to be way more understanding and polite then non smokers.

A few examples.
Your standing waiting for a table to open at a resturant. Of course you want a smoke while waiting so you go outside to the ashtray. Several kids are playing around the ashtray because there is a bench or fountain or whatever. Completely understandable, kids get bored. But here is the thing. As a smoker there is no way i can use that ashtray now, and even if i chose to overlook the fact that peoples kids shouldent have to be affected by my smoke (even if the parents should have asked the kids to play at one of the other benches/fountains/whatever), i know that if a person dared to light up a smoke right next to the ashtray with the kids there the parents would freak out and have a few things to say to that mean inconsiderate smoker.

Another one is with friends who have managed to quit smoking.
They could have smoked longer then you and more then you, but as soon as they stop smoking "your" the bad one because you have this dirty habit and your just "not good enough" to be able to stop.

And then of course you add on all the people that feels its their "responsibility" t tell everyone how bad smoking is for you and how there is something "wrong" with you for being a smoker.
Would almost think that non smokers dont realize that we do have nice messages on our smokes saying things like "SMOKING KILLS!", sometimes accompanied with nice pictures of lungs and bad teeth's, and the mandatory number you can call to get help to quit smoking so you can add some years to your life Lol

Maybe these people are just trying to help, but i wonder how they would feel if smokers started to push on them that they should start smoking because it feels good, and how they would feel when grown people start trashing down on them for something that does not affect them in any way or form (OP, no second hand smoking over EVE, forums or whatever online game you play, if second hand smoking bothers you ask your friends to smoke outside when they visit you).

But well, i might have started to smoke for the wrong reason, and yes im sure i wont live as long because of it (average life spam in my family is about 100 anyway, im sure i can afford to miss out on the last 20 or so years), but i enjoy the taste and how it makes me feel. I smoke outside, never smoke around kids unless i know the parents are ok with it, and try to put my self so the wind drives the smoke away from other people.

I might be slowly killing my self, but i like to think that im at least being a bit considerate in the progress... Now i can just wish more non smokers would be the same way Lol

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#57 - 2013-12-18 12:16:40 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Been a smoker since i was a teenager my self.
I will also be the first to admit that i started for the wrong reasons, and i will be one of the first to tell someone that they shouldent pick up the habit until they are older and know what the consequences are (and actually understand them).

That being said, i have no interest in quitting smoking, and it drives me completely mad that smokers seems to be way more understanding and polite then non smokers.

A few examples.
Your standing waiting for a table to open at a resturant. Of course you want a smoke while waiting so you go outside to the ashtray. Several kids are playing around the ashtray because there is a bench or fountain or whatever. Completely understandable, kids get bored. But here is the thing. As a smoker there is no way i can use that ashtray now, and even if i chose to overlook the fact that peoples kids shouldent have to be affected by my smoke (even if the parents should have asked the kids to play at one of the other benches/fountains/whatever), i know that if a person dared to light up a smoke right next to the ashtray with the kids there the parents would freak out and have a few things to say to that mean inconsiderate smoker.

Another one is with friends who have managed to quit smoking.
They could have smoked longer then you and more then you, but as soon as they stop smoking "your" the bad one because you have this dirty habit and your just "not good enough" to be able to stop.

And then of course you add on all the people that feels its their "responsibility" t tell everyone how bad smoking is for you and how there is something "wrong" with you for being a smoker.
Would almost think that non smokers dont realize that we do have nice messages on our smokes saying things like "SMOKING KILLS!", sometimes accompanied with nice pictures of lungs and bad teeth's, and the mandatory number you can call to get help to quit smoking so you can add some years to your life Lol

Maybe these people are just trying to help, but i wonder how they would feel if smokers started to push on them that they should start smoking because it feels good, and how they would feel when grown people start trashing down on them for something that does not affect them in any way or form (OP, no second hand smoking over EVE, forums or whatever online game you play, if second hand smoking bothers you ask your friends to smoke outside when they visit you).

But well, i might have started to smoke for the wrong reason, and yes im sure i wont live as long because of it (average life spam in my family is about 100 anyway, im sure i can afford to miss out on the last 20 or so years), but i enjoy the taste and how it makes me feel. I smoke outside, never smoke around kids unless i know the parents are ok with it, and try to put my self so the wind drives the smoke away from other people.

I might be slowly killing my self, but i like to think that im at least being a bit considerate in the progress... Now i can just wish more non smokers would be the same way Lol

I thought I was the only one. At the condo complex that I live, I even walk out into the parking lot, regardless of temp or weather, to smoke. We have a few smokers that go out on their balconies and I cannot do that. It's that being conscious of non-smokers thing.

So, to OP. Thank you for the advice. I will take it under advisement. *Pours coffee and goes out for smoke*

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#58 - 2013-12-18 12:28:00 UTC
They're my lungs and i'll smoke I wanna, Smoke if I wanna!

I'm actually a non smoker, and to be honest i couldn't care less if people want to smoke. It's their choice and i have to agree they are generally nicer people.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#59 - 2013-12-18 15:02:07 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
I'm sorry, but are you a person who has overcome an addiction and is trying to help people out, or are you just being an opinionated church lady?

For real !!!

OP has the overly-pompous attitude of having just discovered some kind of brand new information or something. In fact, it's quite insulting.

Negative castigation of behaviors have never ever changed anything or anyone.

Has OP even ever attempted quit something truly addictive ? It ain't easy. Even alcohol, it ain't easy at ALL. One does not just "do it".

OP is indeed troll as far as I'm concerned.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

VegasMirage
Syndicate Enterprise
#60 - 2013-12-18 19:58:05 UTC
Recently, MGM Resorts in Las Vegas (where I'm from) did a study about second-hand smoke and the effects on non smoking employees who work in the casino and hospitality industry.

The study determined that there is no safe level of second-hand smoke and that the genetic make up of non smoking employees was changed due to the presence of second-hand smoke.

So, a smoker who does not have a predisposition for heart disease is smoking in public and a person with the genetic predisposition of cardiovascular disease is standing there waiting in line to enter the restaurant as you blow smoke in his face could actually be the beginning of a long hard life shortly after. You don't know what you're doing to others and it seems from some of your responses you frankly don't care.

This is NOT preaching it's scientific fact that is no longer debated even by the largest tobacco companies.

It's not fair that you stand on a ledge and while jumping to your death grab the lady watching you. Smoke e-cigs when in public, chew tobacco, eat hash brownies I don't care - stop blowing smoke up my ass when you're killing yourself.

Also, I don't mind paying the higher tax for all your health issues, but at least don't try to sicken sane individuals who care about their quality of life.

That's to the immature few who see this as a soap box opportunity from a "church lady". Also, the tough guy/sexy lady thing you think your projecting is a lie. Grow up.

So, explain now why you still smoke anything but smokeless options. Also, please understand I write pretty terse and to the point, but I don't mean to be rude. This is written with all respect due an Eve capsuleer.