These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Trading Scam Protection for Rookies

First post
Author
Emperor Solaris
The Red Sun Industry
#41 - 2013-12-13 22:08:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Emperor Solaris
ISD Ezwal wrote:
I have removed a rule breaking post.

The rules:
[i]14. Bumping outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment channels is prohibited.

The bumping of posts to alter the order of the thread listing on a forum is prohibited outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment forum channels. Within the EVE Marketplace section of the forums, each forum category has its own rules regarding acceptable bumping for sales threads clearly listed in the stickies.

Having said that , I noticed people claiming Direct Trade is only used by scammers. That is not entirely true.
It is for example quite commonly used a quick, easy and free-of-cost way to swap (low value) items between alts, corp/fleetmembers etc.
However, if you have even the slightest hint of doubt about the trustworthiness of the one you want to trade with, use the contract system instead.

sorry about that i didn't know bump were not allowed here but please understand that a simple confirmation window would help EVERYONE i mean common we have conformation before removing a grouped module or entering a T3 ships .. why not for a trade? that would make pure sense and logic for me and like some people mentioned it is being abused/ can be macro-able/ lag and timing affect it. pretty hard to protect yourself against all these problem that should honestly never be a part of a scam
Rekk Tsero
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-12-13 22:53:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Rekk Tsero
ISD Ezwal wrote:

The rules:
[i]14. Bumping outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment channels is prohibited.

The bumping of posts to alter the order of the thread listing on a forum is prohibited outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment forum channels. Within the EVE Marketplace section of the forums, each forum category has its own rules regarding acceptable bumping for sales threads clearly listed in the stickies.

Having said that , I noticed people claiming Direct Trade is only used by scammers. That is not entirely true.
It is for example quite commonly used a quick, easy and free-of-cost way to swap (low value) items between alts, corp/fleetmembers etc.
However, if you have even the slightest hint of doubt about the trustworthiness of the one you want to trade with, use the contract system instead.

I'm afraid to say, but you cannot expect this from a beginner / rookie.
It's nice that you (experienced player) knows that you don't have to use the trading window for trading high level items (because of it's broken mechanic).

But that's no apology for missing mechanics which will protect players from games of skill.
That's definitively NO Feature and NOT intentionally.

Back to the roots: It CAN and WILL be abused by thirdparty mechanics like scripts / macros.
And this is forbidden, according to CCP's own statements.

Additionally lags have an effect on it.

Really, come off it!
There is no excuse for this issue anymore.
NaK'Lin
Seamen Force
#43 - 2013-12-14 06:38:23 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:

The rules:

Maybe the ISD should stick to removing posts and quoting forum rules, please.

The trade window is BROKEN. Finding a workaround (contracts) doesn't justify for it to stay broken.
You've got a pop-up telling new players "attention, you're about to enter low-sec. pirates be here and you'll be popped by the first camp". Then make a warning pop-up for the new players, one that can be removed forever, like the lowsec one, that states "this system of trading is insecure and unsafe. There is no guarantee that you will receive the object/isk expected of your trade"

Because its, wait for it, broken...

How on earth can any developer suggest "go through the window, our front door is currently not working as intended and will cut a finger off of your hand"???

I negotiate a LOT in jita with people from mailing lists, with regular suppliers and customers. and I am annoyed as well, that once an agreement on price is struck i can't really use the trading window and have to go make a contract, IF i still have a slot open.

B-R-O-K-E-N!!!

So either a warning pop up, or a confirmation pop up. Oh, my... it's a pop up either way, we're in a pickle!
Tsobai Hashimoto
State War Academy
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-12-14 22:47:26 UTC
Maybe not scam protection, but once one party selects a value in the trade window, it should be locked, or forced to be re sent... IE

the trade window needs some UI improvements, something like, you select what your selling and the price, and its sent to the other pilot, they either accept or decline, if they make changes to it, it is more like a contract being sent back to you, with the new offer, you either accept or decline, or make a change again,

none of this, you make a change mid way thru the person reading over the trade window.

it would not be that hard to put into game, and would remove a lot of trade scams, and it would help some new pilots ween into the life of EVE, and that is good for the long life span of EVE....
Emperor Solaris
The Red Sun Industry
#45 - 2013-12-14 23:06:16 UTC
Tsobai Hashimoto wrote:
Maybe not scam protection, but once one party selects a value in the trade window, it should be locked, or forced to be re sent... IE

the trade window needs some UI improvements, something like, you select what your selling and the price, and its sent to the other pilot, they either accept or decline, if they make changes to it, it is more like a contract being sent back to you, with the new offer, you either accept or decline, or make a change again,

none of this, you make a change mid way thru the person reading over the trade window.

it would not be that hard to put into game, and would remove a lot of trade scams, and it would help some new pilots ween into the life of EVE, and that is good for the long life span of EVE....

thats another aproach that would work just as great!
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#46 - 2013-12-14 23:16:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Rekk Tsero wrote:
Hi capsuleers,

at first, yes, i know that EVE is a big bad world with scum, pirates and those scammer.
I'm a rookie and started playing ~3 weeks before.

And yes....i got tricked out by a scammer.

But now my idea:
To prevent rookes from got stealing their (paid) plexes with using the trading tool, a popup dialogue could be inserted after putting in the items / isk (so that the scammer can not change the value anymore and you get the patience to take a look on the deal).

My issue was, that i tried to sell my plex for 590.000.000 ISK.
That value was inserted in the trading dialogue (checked green), but millisec's before clicking the button, the other guy changed the value to 590.000 ISK.

Now anyone can say... yes..it was your fault. Maybe it was...but who can register that change so fast? That popup dialogue would protect rookies.

I will not do the same fault anymore...but other rookies will do (and i will be happy if more players are joining EVE a long time and not leave it frustrated).
(If anyone got scammed by contracts...that's their fault definitivly....you have to read the whole contract before accepting it!).

Sorry for my bad english. Have this skill in the queue already ;-)

with kind regards,
Rekk Tsero

Let the buyer beware, scamming is a part of the eve learning curve, learn from your loss, don't seek to change the game because of it.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Rekk Tsero
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-12-15 09:49:41 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Rekk Tsero wrote:
Hi capsuleers,

at first, yes, i know that EVE is a big bad world with scum, pirates and those scammer.
I'm a rookie and started playing ~3 weeks before.

And yes....i got tricked out by a scammer.

But now my idea:
To prevent rookes from got stealing their (paid) plexes with using the trading tool, a popup dialogue could be inserted after putting in the items / isk (so that the scammer can not change the value anymore and you get the patience to take a look on the deal).

My issue was, that i tried to sell my plex for 590.000.000 ISK.
That value was inserted in the trading dialogue (checked green), but millisec's before clicking the button, the other guy changed the value to 590.000 ISK.

Now anyone can say... yes..it was your fault. Maybe it was...but who can register that change so fast? That popup dialogue would protect rookies.

I will not do the same fault anymore...but other rookies will do (and i will be happy if more players are joining EVE a long time and not leave it frustrated).
(If anyone got scammed by contracts...that's their fault definitivly....you have to read the whole contract before accepting it!).

Sorry for my bad english. Have this skill in the queue already ;-)

Let the buyer beware, scamming is a part of the eve learning curve, learn from your loss, don't seek to change the game because of it.

with kind regards,
Rekk Tsero

Sorry, but that had nothing to do with a learning curve. If you are flying in 0.4 sec, you will receive a message which warns you from pirates, scum and any other risks. And they tell you that concord will help you not in any way.

And all knows (except rookies, of course) that the trading window is the only unsafe (broken!!) of all three trading choices.
And there is no message which will you warn from any risks (you can loose your real money bought PLEX for example).

Why the double standards??

A dev should comment this thread....
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#48 - 2013-12-15 10:59:35 UTC
There are no double standards, personally I care less about ISk bought with cash than isk generated through in game activities. People get scammed, you don't have to fly around for long in eve to learn that. It's part of the Eve experience and believe it or not is actually attractive to some players. They like the idea that they can get scammed it makes the eve universe more alive and appealing for them, not to mention the kick that scammers get out of scamming someone.

It's human interaction at it's worst in one of the most brutal and sadistic dystopian futures ever imagined. WTF ever happened to personal responsibility? You choose to push the button, so live with the consequences, having a warning popup before you push the button wouldn't be effective in any case as most victims of scams think that they are going to win big, in effect that they are going to advantage themselves over the scammer and would push the button anyway in order to get their free isk or that nice ship or that great, too good to be true deal. If you want to trade with someone with 100% certainty that you are getting what you pay for you can always set up a private contract and check it out thoroughly before you agree to complete it.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

NaK'Lin
Seamen Force
#49 - 2013-12-15 11:18:34 UTC
scamming, ok.
leaving broken mechanic in the game. no.

it is a broken mechanic.
why are people still talking about scams?

is the trade window broken in regards to its function?
yes.

done... fix it, ccp.
Rekk Tsero
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#50 - 2013-12-15 11:24:52 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
There are no double standards, personally I care less about ISk bought with cash than isk generated through in game activities. People get scammed, you don't have to fly around for long in eve to learn that. It's part of the Eve experience and believe it or not is actually attractive to some players. They like the idea that they can get scammed it makes the eve universe more alive and appealing for them, not to mention the kick that scammers get out of scamming someone.

It's human interaction at it's worst in one of the most brutal and sadistic dystopian futures ever imagined. WTF ever happened to personal responsibility? You choose to push the button, so live with the consequences, having a warning popup before you push the button wouldn't be effective in any case as most victims of scams think that they are going to win big, in effect that they are going to advantage themselves over the scammer and would push the button anyway in order to get their free isk or that nice ship or that great, too good to be true deal. If you want to trade with someone with 100% certainty that you are getting what you pay for you can always set up a private contract and check it out thoroughly before you agree to complete it.

No, that's definitively not any part of "EVE experience". You have to read the other posts in this thread.
Manipulating with scripts / macros and a mechanic which is affected by lags cannot be an experience in either way.

If you have accepted a broken mechanic, it is not all right in any way.
It brings that issue more in line with the stockholm syndrome ("yes..please...scam me! i want that! please use third party mechanics which will fool me! please do it, l like this kind of experience!").

You must be kidding!
Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-12-15 22:56:37 UTC
NaK'Lin wrote:
scamming, ok.
leaving broken mechanic in the game. no.

it is a broken mechanic.
why are people still talking about scams?

is the trade window broken in regards to its function?
yes.

done... fix it, ccp.

Quoted for truth
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#52 - 2013-12-15 23:44:59 UTC
OP has a valid point. There are certain game mechanics that known scammers exploit, and these are not necessarily obvious or apparent to new players.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Rekk Tsero
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-12-17 16:07:21 UTC
Yes... and i'm afraid to say but....

a reply from a dev is still missing.
i'll get the impression that they wish not to comment on that topic.

Apropos:
After getting a reply from a gamemaster (with a predefined text block) i answered him and got no reply during the last five days. (no insults, no aggressive attitude, no pissed comments. My Answer was nicely and constructive).

And it is still open. Days flew past... :-)
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2013-12-17 16:20:53 UTC
Rekk Tsero wrote:
Yes... and i'm afraid to say but....

a reply from a dev is still missing.
i'll get the impression that they wish not to comment on that topic.

Apropos:
After getting a reply from a gamemaster (with a predefined text block) i answered him and got no reply during the last five days. (no insults, no aggressive attitude, no pissed comments. My Answer was nicely and constructive).

And it is still open. Days flew past... :-)

Don't hold your breath on waiting for that reply. P

Even if there is wide agreement on this, and even if they make changes and throw it into the next update they may not say anything until after the update and probably not in this thread. And even if they change it, chances are you'll still be out the isk.

I know its annoying, but life in New Eden is harsh.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#55 - 2013-12-17 16:31:49 UTC
Rekk Tsero wrote:
(you can loose your real money bought PLEX for example).

And just to reiterate, no, you lost no real world money, technically speaking. You lost an in game item...which has no real world value and which you don't own.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Rekk Tsero
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2013-12-17 20:54:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Rekk Tsero
Teckos Pech wrote:
Rekk Tsero wrote:

And just to reiterate, no, you lost no real world money, technically speaking. You lost an in game item...which has no real world value and which you don't own.

Perhaps. But i have not to accept this issue, and i will not accept this issue.
All i've got were flimsy excuses.

Maybe the definition is "ingame items" or "ingame currency". But i've lost real money (with buying that PLEX) as a result of this manipulated scam.

I will repeat it again (ninth time? i forgot it):
i have checked the values in the trading window many times before accepting the deal.
At the moment, i accepted the deal, the value was changed. Not before..not after....WHILE accepting it..

And i'm not alone with this issue. That's a major problem which will abused by several scams.
You can manipulate it with scripts and macros (which are both forbidden by CCP).

And that is the issue we are meaning for. And that's the issue because i want my PLEX back, too.
And as a rookie, i want to protect other rookies to got fooled by this issue.

I don't know why so many of you accept bugs and weak points as standard.
Sorry if i will do not. But thats my opinion about a GAME. :-)
Lady Areola Fappington
#57 - 2013-12-17 21:15:39 UTC
Rekk Tsero wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Rekk Tsero wrote:

Maybe the definition is "ingame items" or "ingame currency". But i've lost real money (with buying that PLEX) as a result of this manipulated scam.

i have checked the values in the trading window many times before accepting the deal.
At the moment, i accepted the deal, the value was changed. Not before..not after....WHILE accepting it..

And i'm not alone with this issue. That's a major problem which will abused by several scams.
You can manipulate it with scripts and macros (which are both forbidden by CCP).

And that is the issue we are meaning for. And that's the issue because i want my PLEX back, too.

CCP has said for maaany, many years, that direct trades are effectively at your own risk. You aren't forced to use the direct trade, it's just as easy to right-click your newly bought PLEX and hit "sell", and fill an outstanding buy order.

Much like any scam, someone played on your greed, and you fell for it.

I mean, didn't it feel the least bit iffy? A private contract would have been just as effective.

As for not accepting the issue....if the GMs aren't going to give you back your PLEX, and CCP isn't going to change the system (they won't, you aren't the first), then you're kind of SOL, to be honest. I'm sure someone will chirp up about a chargeback, but I'd recommend against it. CCP has plenty of experience disputing chargebacks, and they do. You bought a PLEX, a PLEX was delivered, what happens afterwards is immaterial.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#58 - 2013-12-17 21:43:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Rekk Tsero wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Rekk Tsero wrote:

We can all make that argument concerning any loss. With the buying and selling of PLEX it provides an exchange rate between isk and RL money. But if you don't maintain the distinction between in game items like PLEX and RL currency you risk opening a very, very nasty can of worms.

1. Losses could be seen as actual property damages that could involve law enforcement, lawyers, courts, and such ****.
2. Eve and most other games would come under scrutiny of various banking laws and regulations, but domestic and international.
3. If CCP ever shuts down the game they'd have all of us sitting there as creditors.

So stop it with the RL money thing. It is an irrelevancy.

You have much better traction with the bad mechanic argument.

Let go the lost PLEX....if you stay in game you are almost surely going to lose way, way more than that.

Edit: When one of my alts lost a JF that was like a 6 billion loss at the time. That translates into like $150 (not sure haven't bought a PLEX in ages). Here in CA where I live, that could be seen as criminal property damage (if it weren't an in game item that has no value) where the person(s) engaged in that behavior could face up to a year in jail and $1,000 in fines. (Note IANAL, so this is largely speculation.)

This game is much, much better when in games items have no value and you don't own them. It completely eliminates things like somebody getting dumb and going and saying they suffered criminal property damage for an in game loss.

You've made a good point regarding the trading option. You've gotten some long time forum commenters on your side too.

Stop pushing the stupid button though regarding RL money. Keep on target: bad mechanic.

And take your loss in stride.

XvXTeacherVxV
Be Nice Inc.
Prismatic Legion
#59 - 2013-12-17 21:51:29 UTC
This feature would be less broken if there was a part of the tutorial that went over the difference between contracts and trading windows. Otherwise it seems unreasonable to expect new players to know it's broken.
Can you see the rapier?: http://imgur.com/aFelCpv,GH6lqDE
Emperor Solaris
The Red Sun Industry
#60 - 2013-12-18 02:41:02 UTC
all we are asking for is a simple confirmation window when both party click accept trade the trade should LOCK UP and then ask you to verify if the everything is in order to complete the trade just like what we have for the contracts nothing more