These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Eve 2?

Author
Prince Kobol
#41 - 2013-12-14 14:34:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
masternerdguy wrote:
Vicky Somers wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Alex Sorensen wrote:
I get this game gets a lot of content updates regularly, I was referring to a new game with improved graphics and some new features (like touching down on planets without playing DUST).

Apparently there's no market for that, which is why Star Citizen managed to raise £30m. Well I should say there's no market for a game like that, but there's a huge market for hype, which of course Star Citizen has managed to attract a lot of, like a supermassive black hole sucking down an entire galaxy of BS.

Anyway, ... opportunity cost.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember old school space shooters like Wing Commander, Freespace, Starlancer, Freelancer, etc having any form of meaningful gameplay that didn't take place in space? This ties in to WiS as well. Why do so many fans of the genre want all these features that were never part of the genre in the first place? But, but... landing on planets. What for? Is the planet inhabited by prostitutes? I see no reason to go down there.

Well, at least in Freelancer you kind of had that. Edison Trent would go to the bar and physically talk to NPCs.

While we're on the topic of Freelancer, did you know that Chris Roberts didn't finish Freelancer? Freelancer was actually finished by Jörg Neumann when Chris's role in the project was "downsized" because he didn't deliver any noticeable results. Basically, the game wasn't nearly playable yet and Chris was STILL piling on the features!

So when you think "Freelancer was an awesome game!" remember that it only became awesome after Chris was off the projectBig smile

I can't wait for the Star Citizen rage, it's going to be super fun!

Erm Chris Roberts role was not downsized.

Chris Roberts actually left Digital Anvil when Microsoft completed the deal to buy said company. Chris Roberts was kept on as Creative Consultant.

The whole issue surrounding Freelancer was that Chris Roberts fully admitted that the project required a huge investment to have the game finished with the features that were promised such as automated flight control, different story lines, persistent world, a market driven by players etc.

They agreed to sell Digital Anvil to Microsoft because he believed that they would not comprise his vision for Freelancer. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to cut a lot of features and scale back others to get the game released.

Chris Roberts always maintained that his vision for Freelancer was hugely ambitions, especially for a company like Digital Anvil to develop without having the require capital and resources. He said numerous times in interviews that he was ever to produce another game like freelancer he would make sure that they had both the finances and resources in place first so there would not be a repeat of what happened with freelancer.

If Microsoft stayed true to his vision, sure the game would of been late but man, what a game it could of been.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#42 - 2013-12-14 16:56:26 UTC
ctx2007 wrote:
anybody got an old screenshots to show OP what game used to look like

It's a pity CCP does not show the old trailers anymore. It would be a lot more obvious, how much they improved the game visually.

Remove standings and insurance.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#43 - 2013-12-14 17:12:59 UTC
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
ctx2007 wrote:
anybody got an old screenshots to show OP what game used to look like

It's a pity CCP does not show the old trailers anymore. It would be a lot more obvious, how much they improved the game visually.

Here is Exodus from way back in 2003
Previous page123