These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Utopia Atheras
Powder and Ball Alchemists Union
#3281 - 2013-12-14 07:14:35 UTC
Ransu Asanari wrote:
So just some anecdotal evidence from a fight we had last night.

We caught a Caracal in Jamunda, and followed it to a planet once it warped off. Only one of our Interceptors got him pointed, and held him there by himself until he had to warp off from the damage. By that time I managed to warp on our fleetmate and establish secondary point. I overheated my launchers and kept firing. I had to warp off and back once due to the damage. He also deployed drones, which we killed quickly.

After that, the incoming damage seemed to drop significantly, and we all concentrated on slowly killing him. We didn't realize until after we saw the killmail why the DPS had stopped- because he was RLML fit, ran out of ammo, and hit the 40-second reload.

Killmail (copy/paste it): http://pbau.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20897612

Now from a fun factor: A weapon system designed to kill frigates couldn't kill a single one, and once out of ammo, he had to sit there waiting, while we slowly pecked him to death. Although I was happy we got a kill, I doubt it was fun or exciting for him watching his launchers flash and his shields disappear.

I really wish our victim would respond and share his experience.

To be fair he did put me in structure before I had to warp off, but it is ironic that he had the 'perfect' weapon system against the hostiles that attacked him and didn't manage to kill anyone.
Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3282 - 2013-12-14 07:25:57 UTC
Ransu Asanari wrote:

We caught a Caracal in Jamunda, and followed it to a planet once it warped off. Only one of our Interceptors got him pointed, and held him there by himself until he had to warp off from the damage. By that time I managed to warp on our fleetmate and establish secondary point. I overheated my launchers and kept firing. I had to warp off and back once due to the damage. He also deployed drones, which we killed quickly.

After that, the incoming damage seemed to drop significantly, and we all concentrated on slowly killing him. We didn't realize until after we saw the killmail why the DPS had stopped- because he was RLML fit, ran out of ammo, and hit the 40-second reload.

Killmail (copy/paste it): http://pbau.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20897612

Now from a fun factor: A weapon system designed to kill frigates couldn't kill a single one, and once out of ammo, he had to sit there waiting, while we slowly pecked him to death. Although I was happy we got a kill, I doubt it was fun or exciting for him watching his launchers flash and his shields disappear.

What I gather from this is that had he had a way to keep you guys pinned down, he MIGHT have gotten two kills.

Though on the other hand, interceptors are somewhat of a best case scenario for RLML fits because of their relatively low EHP.

Hoping that next we can get someone engaging these things in assault frigates or at least some T1 stuffs. (I'd wager these things pose no real threat to assault frigates)

Also, how early did he deploy drones and how much damage (if any) would you guys estimate they did?
Utopia Atheras
Powder and Ball Alchemists Union
#3283 - 2013-12-14 07:59:37 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Ransu Asanari wrote:

What I gather from this is that had he had a way to keep you guys pinned down, he MIGHT have gotten two kills.

Though on the other hand, interceptors are somewhat of a best case scenario for RLML fits because of their relatively low EHP.

Hoping that next we can get someone engaging these things in assault frigates or at least some T1 stuffs. (I'd wager these things pose no real threat to assault frigates)

Also, how early did he deploy drones and how much damage (if any) would you guys estimate they did?

If I recall it correctly one interceptor pilot has been hit hard with both drones and missiles when I landed. When our friend had to warp out I already had a point on the Caracal. I don't think he was scrammed, so even though I was orbiting he was pulling range and there was a good chance I'd lose point. I burned after him, almost in a straight line to maintain point. This is when I started taking a lot of damage. when I was close to him he pointed me and another volley hit me. I was afraid he might have a web [which would have meant certain death,] so I did a 180 degree turn and overheated my mwd to burn out of his point range. When I started burning away I took virtually no damage, but before that, during the 180 degree turn [which admittedly was a stupid move as it slowed me down almost to a complete halt,] he put me in structure. With a little luck, if the timing was right [for him] another volley would have surely killed me. I *think* he only deployed drones on me when I started burning away from him and I was spamming 'warp' so I don't think the drones actually hit me at all, or could catch up with me.

As you say, it would be interesting to see how assault frigates fare against a RLML Caracal. I personally have never gone after one as the one I fly [Harpy,] is pretty slow. On the test server, under controlled circumstances a Caracal could kill me, but that was before the RLML changes. Maybe we'll try it again.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3284 - 2013-12-14 10:29:53 UTC
The caracal had no damage application mods. No target painter, scram or rigs (they were field extenders). It might have been a different story if he had been fitted a little differently.

Having said that, I agree that the 40-second reload is a bad idea in an anti-frigate weapon. Burst DPS argues to me for using these launchers in groups on gate camps and nowhere else.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3285 - 2013-12-14 11:52:30 UTC
How about we fix two things with one stone:

Guristas missile bonus is currently night useless.

rapid launchers are night useless

Rattlesnake bonus: -30 seconds to Rapid Heavy missile launcher reload time

Gila bonus: -30 seconds to Rapid light missile launcher reload time

Worm bonus: fitting and reload bonus for RLMLs?
Seranova Farreach
Biomass Negative
#3286 - 2013-12-14 12:17:02 UTC
Niena Nuamzzar wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
We're also getting some good experience flying with them on our own player characters in a live environment.

Please Fraps it and upload to Youtube (or it didn't happen). Thank you.

or live twitch feed!

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#3287 - 2013-12-14 12:18:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Ok, I'm sorry Bouh but you are really coming across like you have no clue what your talking about.
Forgetting your plain incorrect argument about the roles of different missile systems, we'll move on to your 2 slot shield tank being adequate.

Ham Caracal with 1LSE, T2 invul, DCU and 2 Extender rigs (ancillary current router required to fit HAMS) = 18,522 EHP, 1800m/s, 379DPS (factions) and has to fight at -10k due to needing Scram and web to be able to hit anything. 979 sig with MWD, 167 without MWD.
Blaster Thorax with 800 T2 plate 2EANM, DCU and 3 trimarks = 22,394k EHP, 1500m/s, 385DPS guns + 124 drones= 509 DPS same range due to scram and web, 720 sig with MWD, 120 without MWD. Has small cap booster to help maintain mobility.

Resists;
Thorax - 74 , 67 , 66 , 53
Caracal - 39 , 51 , 64 , 70

These are both ships I have used on tranquility ( with another toon) and are currently in my ship hanger. Both ships have around the same cap time, Thorax has small booster (so can run MWD constantly), caracal is dead in space after 1min 20sec.
I think you need to get off EFT, train up for caldari and stop guessing as to "how good" they are, fighting in Web range, Thorax has it all over Caracal.

I have lost 2 caracal's to thorax's but never killed a thorax with a caracal. I'm no ace PVP'r and am the 1st to admit I'm pretty bad at it. I switched the toon in question to Guns after realising I could not compete in 1v1 PVP with missiles.
So you tried to brawl a Thorax with a Caracal and lost, and your only conclusion is that missiles are bad ?

First, skills : you can make your Caracal fit without ACR, but indeed you need to downgrade the LSE to meta4 and top at 23kehp, yet you can overload the AIF.

Second, about brawling : trying to outbrawl a blaster ship with anything else than blasters is plain stupid. No exception. Blasters are the ultimate brawling weapon. Though, blasters are good only at brawling. And gallente ships are designed to be the ultimate brawling ships.

Do you know what "playing to your strengths" means ? Here it means that you should never ever go in a straight brawl against a gallente blaster ship without thinking twice about it and how you can do it.

Because, third, you still can do it, because you have range and mobility advantages. You have 30km range : the longer you are out of its reach, the better. Then, avoid point blanc at all cost ; stay at the edge of scram range as much as you can. If you pilot correctly (and people around here seems to be great pilot, judging how good they are at preventing their ennemy to avoid turret fire), you can do all this. It's not easy at all, granted, but why should it be ? But you truly have a chance in a HAM Caracal vs a Thorax, you only have to avoid the full brawl at all cost.

You have the range and speed to kite the Thorax, do it or die. That's the way it is. You can't just go strait in the mouth of a blaster Thorax and hope to survive, but if you manage to keep him at range long enough, you'll definitely kill him.

Now, you don't seem so experimented, so I understand why you feel blasters and gallente ships so good (it's easier to understand and master the basics of brawling), but believe me, they have weaknesses, and when you have experience and skill to exploit these weaknesses, you'll get far more flexibility out of any other weapon than blasters.

But until you master this yes, a kiter cought in the claws of a brawler is dead in the water, but that's how it should be and not a proof that missiles under perform.

What's funny is that 2 years ago kiting was fotm but HML were so OP that HAML were completely useless. Now that things are more in lines, people complain because you don't kite like you brawl ; that needs actual piloting skills and the numbers are not as astonishing than for brawling fit. And mistakes don't forgive when you kite.

About the Caracal : ten interceptors killed one RLML Caracal so RLML are worseless ? Come on... What do you expect ?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3288 - 2013-12-14 13:42:09 UTC
Bouth, just stop… Until you actually start flying the ships and missile systems we're talking about, you're just trolling.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#3289 - 2013-12-14 14:18:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
So you tried to brawl a Thorax with a Caracal and lost, and your only conclusion is that missiles are bad ?

First, skills : you can make your Caracal fit without ACR, but indeed you need to downgrade the LSE to meta4 and top at 23kehp, yet you can overload the AIF
Skills, This is a toon with 46mil SP, max fitting skills and good to better missile shills. So ok yes you can fit Hams to a caracal without ACR but with Meta 4 LSE Invul and 2 extender rigs, you end up with a massive 17.5k ehp (with SM-705 implant, so you could deduct 5% of the overall shield).
EDIT; Just noticed the 2% PG implant, without it the fit is even tighter.

Quote:
Second, about brawling : trying to outbrawl a blaster ship with anything else than blasters is plain stupid. No exception. Blasters are the ultimate brawling weapon. Though, blasters are good only at brawling. And gallente ships are designed to be the ultimate brawling ships.

Do you know what "playing to your strengths" means ? Here it means that you should never ever go in a straight brawl against a gallente blaster ship without thinking twice about it and how you can do it
So tell me, as it has been clearly shown HAMS are pretty much useless without Scram, Web and damage rigs, how would you suggest using them?

Quote:
Because, third, you still can do it, because you have range and mobility advantages. You have 30km range : the longer you are out of its reach, the better. Then, avoid point blanc at all cost ; stay at the edge of scram range as much as you can. If you pilot correctly (and people around here seems to be great pilot, judging how good they are at preventing their ennemy to avoid turret fire), you can do all this. It's not easy at all, granted, but why should it be ? But you truly have a chance in a HAM Caracal vs a Thorax, you only have to avoid the full brawl at all cost.

You have the range and speed to kite the Thorax, do it or die. That's the way it is. You can't just go strait in the mouth of a blaster Thorax and hope to survive, but if you manage to keep him at range long enough, you'll definitely kill him.
Curious, do you think I could kill him in under 1 min 20 sec (cap time), without web or scram? If not, that might explain why kiting in a Ham caracal does not work so well

Quote:
Now, you don't seem so experimented, so I understand why you feel blasters and gallente ships so good (it's easier to understand and master the basics of brawling), but believe me, they have weaknesses, and when you have experience and skill to exploit these weaknesses, you'll get far more flexibility out of any other weapon than blasters.

But until you master this yes, a kiter cought in the claws of a brawler is dead in the water, but that's how it should be and not a proof that missiles under perform.

What's funny is that 2 years ago kiting was fotm but HML were so OP that HAML were completely useless. Now that things are more in lines, people complain because you don't kite like you brawl ; that needs actual piloting skills and the numbers are not as astonishing than for brawling fit. And mistakes don't forgive when you kite.

About the Caracal : ten interceptors killed one RLML Caracal so RLML are worseless ? Come on... What do you expect ?
I'm afraid your so narrow minded, closed minded you can't see just how bad your arguments are. It would not matter what anyone had to say, your convinced your right and everyone else is wrong.

As I said in an earlier post - train up Caldari and missiles, then and only then will you qualify to say how good or bad they are and how they are best used or not.

Respond if you feel the need, I'm out.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#3290 - 2013-12-14 14:19:51 UTC
This thread has hit a dead end, CCP are obviously not going to do anything for missile users as long as the person in charge of balancing them relies on metrics which show, the already low missile usage prior to Rubicon has not changed.

5.5 mil SP in medium missiles and support skills and 4 mil + SP in caldari ship skills - pretty much useless.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#3291 - 2013-12-14 14:50:53 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Ransu Asanari wrote:
-edit- I don't like having specific solutions really in a petition though, since we can always debate about whether 15 seconds or 20 seconds is sufficient, or if there's a better solution altogether. Would rather the petition just be for getting numbers to show the people who are dissatisfied with the current iteration.

What I really want is the old RLMLs back and the first iteration for RHMLs. They weren't "op", and the above example is just one of many we'll be hearing in the coming weeks and months.

At this point the only thing keeping me from petitioning for a missile SP refund is the T2/faction fitted Navy Raven in my hangar that I use to grind Lvl4's when I'm feeling anti-social. It's fun to fly and, sadly, it shows the potential of Caldari missile boats. Of course I have 4 CN BCUs on it so it also shows that the potential of Caldari missile boats is just a pipedream.
I used to have some hope that CCP would pull it's well-balanced head out of it's well-balanced ass and actually fix missiles, but their inattention to their own screw-ups in RLML's shows that this is not going to happen. They were released too early in the design cycle, no public testing was done with them before CCP and the CSM got together to make political promises and shove them down our throats.
Maybe when this cycle of stupid begins to affect turrets there will be enough of an outcry for an exodus from Eve until they fix themselves. Maybe. Until then my sub runs out in a month or so and I'm done.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3292 - 2013-12-14 14:51:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Sgt Ocker wrote:
This thread has hit a dead end, CCP are obviously not going to do anything for missile users as long as the person in charge of balancing them relies on metrics which show, the already low missile usage prior to Rubicon has not changed.

5.5 mil SP in medium missiles and support skills and 4 mil + SP in caldari ship skills - pretty much useless.

I'd like to see the raw data/stats for RLML usage for three months prior to Rubicon and month following. I suspect there was a huge drop in usage about a week prior to Rubicon, and that it's been in steady decline since. I also wouldn't mind seeing the number of kills from RLMLs prior to Rubicon and after Rubicon. I think both would be extremely insightful…

Come on CCP, where's this transparency you're always talking about…?

scorchlikeshiswhiskey wrote:
Maybe when this cycle of stupid begins to affect turrets there will be enough of an outcry for an exodus from Eve until they fix themselves. Maybe. Until then my sub runs out in a month or so and I'm done.

I've half-joked that the next release should be called "Exodus"...

Maxor Swift
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#3293 - 2013-12-14 16:01:13 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:
Based on my one direct interaction with him I believe the "Rise hates missiles" line of thinking is definitely false. That said, just because he doesn't hate missiles doesn't mean he is actually right about their current state in the game or about what needs to be done with them. I think he honestly thought the new rapid launchers were a good idea that would be "fun" to use. He was wrong. It happens.
That's what is fun with being right or wrong in this kind of circumstances : I think He think to be right and you are wrong, and I do the same whereas you think the opposite. Who is right and who is wrong then ?

Well, until now the facts seems to be pointing that the weapon is not as hated as people here hates it (numbers Rise and Fozzie talked about), and there haven't been any Jita riot like some here have said would happen.

We are only half a dozen talking about them here for some time now, and the "haters" still don't want to look at reality as nobody still provided numbers for more average and regular use cases. There have been some tests, but not without flaws (testing is hard though, as thinking that the weapons are bad before starting the test will affect the results in the desired direction ; you'll be prone to be bad if you think your weapons are bad).

PS : and as boring as I can be in your eyes, I'm only trying to help you bring real arguments to Rise here. But focusing on worst cases to say that the results are bad is kind of obvious and won't catch the attention of the dev.

Its half a dozen people against it with excellent stats and feed back and just you for it with nothing to back you up.Also rise has demonstrated by his actions many times he hates PVE,solo PVP and now missiles thats a given.

In the spirit of the rage i feel about these changes choose a mid range platform for each weapon type and increase its reload to 40s then its balanced

"What you talking about willis"

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3294 - 2013-12-14 16:07:43 UTC
I'd suggest a RLML/RHML 'Burn Jita' in protest, but it would take us forever to destroy that thing with the 40-second reload… Lol

General Jack Cosmo
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3295 - 2013-12-14 16:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: General Jack Cosmo
Quote:
scorchlikeshiswhisk wrote:
I hope for the sake of any progeny you might have that you were not being serious with that.

my progeny's are safe between my legs!

With lord Xanex by my side I can do anything (Atleast with a smile) !!!!

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3296 - 2013-12-14 16:59:40 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Bouth, just stop… Until you actually start flying the ships and missile systems we're talking about, you're just trolling.

Bouth seems to have angered some people in this thread (it's not that hard to do - emotions run hot in forums).

Neverthless he has made these very valid points:

* Range is extremely important to a tech 1 blaster ship. A great deal of my pvp is brawling. I pay exquisite attention to range and speed, mentally estimating the optimum orbit or kite range to maximise my chances while minimising an opponents. It's second nature.

* When kiting a blaster ship you certainly have to do the same. The game is absolutely about maximising your range and transversal while minimising his speed. The "edge of scram range" comment that Bouth made highlights a critical area. Blaster damage is very low at that point and most blaster ships are MWD-only. So if you can kite just there, particularly while sporting a web and scram, you can cause a great deal of trouble for even a highly skilled blaster ship pilot like myself. No matter what weapons system you are using.

Of course a blaster pilot will do all he can to get either inside or outside the edge of scram range. He wants you at 3km or thereabouts. He will be doubling-back, using ecm drones, maybe a dual prop (in which case he will not have a web) - anything to mess you up and throw you away from that critical range.

His survival depends on doing it so if he's been in blaster ships for a while, he'll be good at it. You will need to be equally as good at preventing him from dictating range, otherwise he will kill you. If you can keep range at say 8.5km, you'll kill him.

That's the game of gallente vs caldari 1:1 pvp.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#3297 - 2013-12-14 17:12:32 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Actually I'd advise you to read his posts carefully.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3298 - 2013-12-14 17:15:47 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
Actually I'd advise you to read his posts carefully.

Until I see some kill mails, it's all B.S.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#3299 - 2013-12-14 17:26:51 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Skills, This is a toon with 46mil SP, max fitting skills and good to better missile shills. So ok yes you can fit Hams to a caracal without ACR but with Meta 4 LSE Invul and 2 extender rigs, you end up with a massive 17.5k ehp (with SM-705 implant, so you could deduct 5% of the overall shield).
EDIT; Just noticed the 2% PG implant, without it the fit is even tighter.

[Caracal, HAM-MWD]

Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Learn to fit, or skill up.

Quote:
So tell me, as it has been clearly shown HAMS are pretty much useless without Scram, Web and damage rigs, how would you suggest using them?
250dps at 25km is FAR from what medium SR turrets will gets. If that's not enough for you, well, you can unsub I guess...

Quote:
Curious, do you think I could kill him in under 1 min 20 sec (cap time), without web or scram? If not, that might explain why kiting in a Ham caracal does not work so well
You don't need to avoid him the whole fight, only enough time to win the final brawl ; which is about 20 seconds. With a web you'll apply full dps, and you can overload the invuln to earn some more ehp.

Quote:
I'm afraid your so narrow minded, closed minded you can't see just how bad your arguments are. It would not matter what anyone had to say, your convinced your right and everyone else is wrong.

As I said in an earlier post - train up Caldari and missiles, then and only then will you qualify to say how good or bad they are and how they are best used or not.

Respond if you feel the need, I'm out.
"I'm afraid your so narrow minded, closed minded you can't see just how bad your arguments are. It would not matter what anyone had to say, your convinced your right and everyone else is wrong."

This apply for everyone here I'm afraid. Yet we can look at facts : you are asking your Caracal to a brawl with a Thorax at point blanc range. This is not less than stupid. Brawling at point blanc range is the only thing blasters are good for. If they are not the best at that, they are useless, exactly like it was 2 years ago.

Now if you are not good enough to figure out how to use your beloved weapons and too bitter to believe I can give any useful advice to counter blasters, you might as well unsub, because in a few years CCP will nerf the next weapon system you'll have trained for and you'll be back crying here.

Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Nobody here understand anything about balancing and is only whining for their precious missiles, yet they talk with your blessing. And who does actually know anything about blasters and railguns more than I do after flying them for 3 years ? I was there in the Drake and winmatar era, and I remember how it was. HML of this time were not better than HAML of now, they just had more range. Comparison is simple.

The problem is that you are asking things for missiles by comparing them only in the worst case scenario for missiles vs best case scenarios for turrets ; arguing that a good turret pilot can decrease the transversal work both ways : a good missile pilot should be able to increase transversale, and I'd say a duel gun vs missiles should revolve solely on this point, and it does actually ; but I guess most missile user are used to the glorious days of the mighty Drake and are looking for them to come back ; these days when you could sit somewhere, spam your missiles and not be affraid of anything but keeping your target pointed were certainly enjoyable.
Centis Adjani
Adjani Corporation
#3300 - 2013-12-14 17:36:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Centis Adjani
The changes in Rubicon make me guess, CCP just want the Player fall asleep in front of the screen. Twisted

40 seconds reload time. *snore*

Warp Speed nerf for BC and BS (I found my BS to slow at 3 AU, now with 2 AU they threat me to ALT-TAB into Forums during flight). *snore*

In Games I like to see things happen.
And don't like to wait long times to see things happen after taken a nap.