These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Eve 2?

Author
Alex Sorensen
Obsidian Reclamation Enterprise
#21 - 2013-12-13 21:18:02 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Why bother with a completely new game when the current approach of upgrading the current game works fine. Just because the horrible developers in this industry made sequels a standard doesn't mean every game has to follow...

It's just a question, not a premise.

sig

auraofblade
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-12-13 21:38:18 UTC
I wouldn't want to see it. A game like EVE, and every truly MMO game in general, is heavily dependent on its community to maintain compelling gameplay. Trying to transplant or rebuild the EVE community from scratch would more likely than not result in years of time needed just to get enough players with the right mindset to play it.
WASPY69
Xerum.
#23 - 2013-12-13 21:45:57 UTC
I wouldn't classify EVE as a finalized product per say. I think of it as a "rolling release" kinda game, where new updates and expansions keep getting released on a regular basis. And to be honest that's what's kept it alive, that's what's keeping it alive, and it's what will keep it alive into the second decade.
If EVE was deemed "Finalized" by CCP and they didn't release any new expansions, just patches here and there, then it would stagnate rather quickly.
One of the strengths of EVE is the relationship between Devs and the Community. And in no other game or company have i seen the Devs listen to, and interact with us the same way CCP does.
When things start to stagnate for us in EVE, we have built up such respect and love for EVE and CCP that we trust things will get better. Because we know it will.
If any other game starts to lose revenue, the Devs are usually like "Here! have some hats and new useless unlockable textures!", whereas CCP would reach out and acknowledge their mistake and ask the community what they like to see changed. The community help shape EVE as much as the Devs.

TL;DR, EVE is a game that never stops growing. There is no need for an "EVE 2.0".

This signature intentionally left blank

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-12-13 22:55:40 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Alex Sorensen wrote:
I get this game gets a lot of content updates regularly, I was referring to a new game with improved graphics and some new features (like touching down on planets without playing DUST).

Apparently there's no market for that, which is why Star Citizen managed to raise £30m. Well I should say there's no market for a game like that, but there's a huge market for hype, which of course Star Citizen has managed to attract a lot of, like a supermassive black hole sucking down an entire galaxy of BS.

Anyway, ... opportunity cost.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember old school space shooters like Wing Commander, Freespace, Starlancer, Freelancer, etc having any form of meaningful gameplay that didn't take place in space? This ties in to WiS as well. Why do so many fans of the genre want all these features that were never part of the genre in the first place? But, but... landing on planets. What for? Is the planet inhabited by prostitutes? I see no reason to go down there.

Well, at least in Freelancer you kind of had that. Edison Trent would go to the bar and physically talk to NPCs.

While we're on the topic of Freelancer, did you know that Chris Roberts didn't finish Freelancer? Freelancer was actually finished by Jörg Neumann when Chris's role in the project was "downsized" because he didn't deliver any noticeable results. Basically, the game wasn't nearly playable yet and Chris was STILL piling on the features!

So when you think "Freelancer was an awesome game!" remember that it only became awesome after Chris was off the projectBig smile

I can't wait for the Star Citizen rage, it's going to be super fun!

Things are only impossible until they are not.

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#25 - 2013-12-13 23:58:54 UTC
I would like ships with boobies in Eve 2.
Toriessian
Helion Production Labs
Independent Operators Consortium
#26 - 2013-12-14 00:38:37 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Alex Sorensen wrote:
I get this game gets a lot of content updates regularly, I was referring to a new game with improved graphics and some new features (like touching down on planets without playing DUST).

Apparently there's no market for that, which is why Star Citizen managed to raise £30m. Well I should say there's no market for a game like that, but there's a huge market for hype, which of course Star Citizen has managed to attract a lot of, like a supermassive black hole sucking down an entire galaxy of BS.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember old school space shooters like Wing Commander, Freespace, Starlancer, Freelancer, etc having any form of meaningful gameplay that didn't take place in space? This ties in to WiS as well. Why do so many fans of the genre want all these features that were never part of the genre in the first place? But, but... landing on planets. What for? Is the planet inhabited by prostitutes? I see no reason to go down there.

Take Wing Commander off that list... There were ground strafing Missions in WC III and IV. :P Just saying....

Every day I'm wafflin!

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-12-14 01:35:58 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
What I'd like to see is something that at least pretends to have space mechanics.

Alex Sorensen wrote:

Eve's graphics have been overhauled twice since I started playing.

As for new features, they come regularly.

Victoria Sin wrote:
I'll tell you why: When I was playing Elite on my BBC Micro, I would imagine being able to land on a planet, get out of my ship and walk around, maybe engage in a little FPS action (though FPS was only in arcades then), dock at a station, walk around the station getting into adventures and so on.

The marriage of space simulator and FPS is, in my opinion, the Holy Grail of video gaming.

Problem is that involved building both a space game and the FPS game. Which is either a major expense, or means cutting corners on one or both of them.

Make both relevant and you lose the players who only like one of the two. Make one irrelevant and you lose the players who are looking for that one as they move to a game that focuses on only that element. Cut corners and you lose the players who like what you cut corners on.

When you have $30 million dollars, you can do both without cutting corners.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#28 - 2013-12-14 01:38:56 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Hesod Adee wrote:
What I'd like to see is something that at least pretends to have space mechanics.

Alex Sorensen wrote:

Eve's graphics have been overhauled twice since I started playing.

As for new features, they come regularly.

Victoria Sin wrote:
I'll tell you why: When I was playing Elite on my BBC Micro, I would imagine being able to land on a planet, get out of my ship and walk around, maybe engage in a little FPS action (though FPS was only in arcades then), dock at a station, walk around the station getting into adventures and so on.

The marriage of space simulator and FPS is, in my opinion, the Holy Grail of video gaming.

Problem is that involved building both a space game and the FPS game. Which is either a major expense, or means cutting corners on one or both of them.

Make both relevant and you lose the players who only like one of the two. Make one irrelevant and you lose the players who are looking for that one as they move to a game that focuses on only that element. Cut corners and you lose the players who like what you cut corners on.

When you have $30 million dollars, you can do both without cutting corners.

You are assuming the $30 million dollars is in the hands of people who know what they are doing and care.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2013-12-14 02:27:35 UTC
Alex Sorensen wrote:

well never be touching down on planets in EVE, originally, eyars ago when it was proposed, DUST was seen as omething EVE characters could do, then when DUSt became DUST, CCP decided its more popular to makret separate sections fo the game as separate products, so planet-based things will ALWAYS be DUST.

which sucks, because if DUST ever starts NOT sucking, and being an important part of EVE, then that means im paying 15 dollars a month for half the marketed game.

but whatever.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2013-12-14 03:35:21 UTC
Alex Sorensen wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a noob so please forgive my noobiness if this is in the wrong forum for this or if this topic has been done to death before.

I was just wondering what you guys would like to see in Eve 2 if CCP started working on it?

There is only one EVE. It has been a single-shard persistent MMO universe for ten years. There is no need for an EVE 2, because that would imply that EVE has an ending. It doesn't.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#31 - 2013-12-14 04:14:17 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Vicky Somers wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Alex Sorensen wrote:

Well, at least in Freelancer you kind of had that. Edison Trent would go to the bar and physically talk to NPCs.

While we're on the topic of Freelancer, did you know that Chris Roberts didn't finish Freelancer? Freelancer was actually finished by Jörg Neumann when Chris's role in the project was "downsized" because he didn't deliver any noticeable results. Basically, the game wasn't nearly playable yet and Chris was STILL piling on the features!

So when you think "Freelancer was an awesome game!" remember that it only became awesome after Chris was off the projectBig smile

I know that in most space shooters there are either cutscenes or point & clicky intermezzos that are supposed to help with the storytelling but those aren't exactly what made those games memorable. Except of course in the case of Wing Commander. I'm trying not to get too hyped for Star Citizen because the last couple of games I was hyped for ened up in huge disappointment. Not too worried about Star Citizen though. Cyberpunk 2077 is the one I really, really want to live up to the hype.

As for EVE, it would be wonderful to visit all the places from the lore and be able to look at it from a first person perspective. The stations, ships, cities, etc. This however, would swallow up so much development time that it simply isn't worth it. We'll just have to settle with the short stories.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-12-14 08:17:25 UTC
I disagree we're on EvE xxx. EvE 1 is still EvE 1. It has been updated like all the other mmos out there but it's still EvE 1

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Shamus O'Reilly
Candy Cabal
#33 - 2013-12-14 08:25:01 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Spaceships

Mr Epeen Cool

Is it bad that everytime i read your comments i hear a drug induced smoker voice hippie instead?...

"I swear there are more people complaining over "nullsecers complaining" then actual nullsec people complaining."

ctx2007
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-12-14 12:19:44 UTC
anybody got an old screenshots to show OP what game used to look like

You only realise you life has been a waste of time, when you wake up dead.

Dalmont Delantee
Gecko Corp
#35 - 2013-12-14 12:23:41 UTC
vicky summers wrote:

Me too :P
Forum Clone 77777
Doomheim
#36 - 2013-12-14 12:38:59 UTC
CCP should not make an EVE 2, what for really?
You mention improved graphics? Care to take a look at old EVE videos and tell me just how much the graphics have improved over the years, and theyre still improving them, its not long ago that they improved the textures on ships, and as far as I know theyre working on station exterior aswell.
Walking on planets? Why? What kind of meaningfull objecive would a starship captain have on a planet that needs him/her to go down there? If its shooting someone, Im pretty sure we'd just aim our massive cannons at whatever needed to be shot and fire away, we do have space-to-ground ammo and all that. If its for talking to someone, we can send messages across the galaxy in the blink of an eye, why would we need to meet up in person.

An EVE 2 doesnt make any sense, and CCP would lose alot more than they would ever gain, so Im fairly certain CCP is on the same side here.
Ursula Thrace
Dreamland Augmented Consortium
#37 - 2013-12-14 13:06:31 UTC
Tippia wrote:
We're already at EVE IV, at least. P

Aside from that, I'd prefer not to see an EVE 2 at all.

^ this exactly.
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#38 - 2013-12-14 13:32:54 UTC
Alex Sorensen wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a noob so please forgive my noobiness if this is in the wrong forum for this or if this topic has been done to death before.

I was just wondering what you guys would like to see in Eve 2 if CCP started working on it?

Hm, no point in making an "EVE 2", we're already there if you ask me. Consider EVE as an evolving game that encompass any future "editions" of it.

Best way to roll out an "EVE 2", imo, would be a rewrite of the game engine + WiS (walking in stations) integrated deeply with the other EVE universe titles such as Dust and Valkyrie. That could perhaps be called an "EVE 2" and would merely be a very large expansion to "EVE 1".

With a game engine rewrite we might enable some "WASD" controls for ships, which could lead to Valkyrie-inspired dog fights between frigates etc.
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#39 - 2013-12-14 13:37:10 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Alex Sorensen wrote:

Landing on planets would be a great expansion for EVE, but it would require procedural programming for each planet, moon, asteroid etc.

But it's a good idea imo. Could expand on the WiS concept in letting us explore on foot in Dust-like environmental suits, in areas where our ships' scanners and tractor beams, etc. can't reach. We can even setup bases on planets in situ, instead of doing it via the PI system.

I see potential, but this isn't realistic until a few more years down the line imo. It does have potential to attract a whole other player segment though, effectively doubling subscribers.
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#40 - 2013-12-14 13:42:26 UTC
Victoria Sin wrote:
Vicky Somers wrote:

I concur.
Previous page123Next page