These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Future of T3 Cruisers

Author
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#301 - 2013-12-13 18:30:35 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Just try to ignore a few alliances that are using them as line ships........I've seen 400 tengus on grid, recently. They were rail tengus, but they were still tengus.

So outside of alliance fleets and PvE, where do you see them?

I see them all of the time, in blops gangs as utility support for the bombers or as hunters.....there is more to them than 100mn lol boats.

I can't speak for low sec since I haven't spent any real time there in a couple years. But the last time I was putzing around with FW there were Tengu's all over the place on scan. I've no idea what they were actually doing but they were out in the war zones.
zbaaca
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#302 - 2013-12-13 18:52:01 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

tengu every time. dual asb mega tank beats all.

so because of weapon platform u want to nerf hull. great logic.

Bugs are opportunities to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction. --Zorgn ♡♡♡

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#303 - 2013-12-13 18:57:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
zbaaca wrote:

Um, no...

I am merely pointing out that the dual asb tengu has an unbreakable (certainly by another T3 ship) tank. It achieves this with no penalty to damage projection. It's therefore the logical choice in a 1:1 T3 fight, which was Arthur's proposition.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify myself.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#304 - 2013-12-13 19:05:40 UTC
zbaaca wrote:

Um, no...

I am merely pointing out that the dual asb tengu has an unbreakable (certainly by another T3 ship) tank. It achieves this with no penalty to damage projection. It's therefore the logical choice in a 1:1 T3 fight, which was Arthur's proposition.

For those of us that don't live in holes, he may unbreakable solo.....but help is just a cyno away....so people that like to try **** like that just get zerged under.

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#305 - 2013-12-13 19:43:06 UTC
A lot could be accomplished by nerfing T3 power grids. Get their possible EHP down into the realm of normalcy. 250k EHP is not normal and they should not be able to do that.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#306 - 2013-12-13 21:16:37 UTC
Onictus wrote:
zbaaca wrote:

Um, no...

For those of us that don't live in holes, he may unbreakable solo.....but help is just a cyno away....so people that like to try **** like that just get zerged under.

The initial post that prompted this response was exclusively about comparing existing T3s in a 1:1. I am sure we are all very well aware that eve combat is rarely, if ever, like that. But to draw a comparison it's useful to start somewhere.

One the other end of the spectrum, in massive fleets it almost doesn't matter what you bring. The quality of the FC, responsiveness of the troops and lock time are more important than individual ship characteristics (provided your target is not beyond your maximum range of course).

Any discussion we have on ship capabilities will therefore only have meaning when we're discussing a skirmish (e.g. say 20 or less on each side). Up to about 3 per side (in the case of the Tengu 5-a-side*), self-tanking capabilities can matter a great deal. Beyond that it's usually less relevant.

So, just to re-iterate.
Of the T3s, the tengu is the most useful fleet ship, the most useful very small skirmish ship, the most useful pve ship and easily as good as the others in a larger skirmish or fleet encounter.

I believe this is the reason that the tengu vastly outsells all other T3s (which is a verifiable fact).

I would not be surprised to find that Tengu sales outstrip all other T3 sales added together. But this is opinion, not yet a verified fact.

Can someone help with that?

* I mention 5-a-side for the tengu because it's my experience that my dual ash scout tengu is easily capable of tanking a 5-man fleet that includes an astarte, brutix, drake, thorax and a sabre - for long enough to figure out a way to escape. Granted I had to overheat the DG invulnerability field while the opposing team overheated their guns.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#307 - 2013-12-13 22:10:02 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
I disagree with this statement. The Tengu is far from worthless at PVP. It is in a good spot - largely thanks to the HML nerf. Are HML's perfect for all purposes? No. But CCP has managed to buff other medium weapons to a point where the imbalance between HML's and everything else is not so absurd.

Now they need to tone down the buffer on the Proteus, Loki, and Legion so that they can be buffed in other areas.

It's borderline useless, and the current HMLs are absurd. You have a choice for your 1:1 engagement: Do you choose the Tengu, Loki, Proteus or Legion. The obvious choices (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Yet another argument as to why you should only be allowed to fit one ASB.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#308 - 2013-12-13 22:26:16 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:

I could not agree with you more. Even though, as I often mention, I abuse the dual ASB abomination every day and will continue to do so until CCP fix it.

zbaaca
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#309 - 2013-12-14 06:11:16 UTC
i think reasons why 3 other is unpopular is their roles. caldary is designed to be snipers and it's not tengu fault that most prefer to kite and snipe

Bugs are opportunities to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction. --Zorgn ♡♡♡

Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#310 - 2013-12-14 09:49:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
Soldarius wrote:
A lot could be accomplished by nerfing T3 power grids. Get their possible EHP down into the realm of normalcy. 250k EHP is not normal and they should not be able to do that.

Those fits are rare and you sacrifice ALL your dps to get a tank like that.

If they nerf the power grid on the Loki, my artillery fit would be impossible Sad
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#311 - 2013-12-14 10:00:56 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Soldarius wrote:

If they nerf the power grid on the Loki, my artillery fit would be impossible Sad

If they nerf anything on the Loki, a lot of things become impossible. Let's not throw the Legion and the Loki out with the Tengu-Proteus bathwater.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#312 - 2013-12-14 10:17:30 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Soldarius wrote:

If they nerf anything on the Loki, a lot of things become impossible. Let's not throw the Legion and the Loki out with the Tengu-Proteus bathwater.

I agree with that.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#313 - 2013-12-14 10:39:54 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Soldarius wrote:

They all need lots of changes, there is a fun looking Legion setup that is completly impossible because you end up with a 8/4/4 slot layout.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#314 - 2013-12-14 11:51:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
And what fun looking fit would that be?

The legion is a great ship and probably the most versatile T3 for pvp.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#315 - 2013-12-14 11:54:35 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
I disagree with this statement. The Tengu is far from worthless at PVP. It is in a good spot - largely thanks to the HML nerf. Are HML's perfect for all purposes? No. But CCP has managed to buff other medium weapons to a point where the imbalance between HML's and everything else is not so absurd.

Now they need to tone down the buffer on the Proteus, Loki, and Legion so that they can be buffed in other areas.

It's borderline useless, and the current HMLs are absurd. You have a choice for your 1:1 engagement: Do you choose the Tengu, Loki, Proteus or Legion. The obvious choices (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

ASB were nerfed the wrong way. THey should have been limited to 1 per ship and the number of charges should not have been reduced instead.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#316 - 2013-12-14 11:55:36 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Soldarius wrote:

Much easier way to fix those tanks is.. REMOVE ALL RIG SLOTS!!!

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#317 - 2013-12-14 12:10:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
I understand the thinking but remove rigs and you take away a big part of ship customisation. You would need to buff the stats on pretty much every subsystem would need to be buffed to compensate which makes the whole process pointless.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#318 - 2013-12-14 14:48:21 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
I understand the thinking but remove rigs and you take away a big part of ship customisation. You would need to buff the stats on pretty much every subsystem would need to be buffed to compensate which makes the whole process pointless.

Yes and no. The Supplemental Screening and Augmented Plating subsystems already replicate Defense Field Extenders and Trimark Armor Pumps, and the same can be said for subsystems like Adaptive Shielding, Gravitational Capacitor, Capacitor Regeneration, etc. Many of the offensive subsystems need to be buffed anyway (Covert Reconfiguration, Rifling Launcher Platform, etc.), so eliminating rigs ensures that these don't become OP.

Since we now have the ability to remotely refit subsystems, rigs are somewhat redundant anyway. Here's what I'd like to see instead: Eliminate the three rig slots and replace them with three blank module slots that can be used to store swappable subsystems and modules without the need for a mobile depot. These would appear on the hud as icons with a 60-second cool-down for each when activated to prevent abuse.

Example: You place a Covert Reconfiguration and Interdiction Nullifier subsystem in two of the slots, leaving the third blank. Thus, you can reconfigure to a Covert fit simply by clicking on the two icons (the extra low-slot module gets dumped into the third slot). The three modules in the slots now begin a 60-second visual cool down. To refit back, simply wait the 60-seconds and click again on the three icons. Voila. Another scenario could be an Augmented Capacitor Reservoir and Heavy Missile Launcher (again, with the third slot left empty). Clicking on the two icons removes the Capacitor Regeneration subsystem along with a low-slot module, replacing it with the missile launcher. All of this would be subject to grid, CPU, etc. limits.

A mechanic like this would be more desirable than rig slots, because you avoid having to lug around and deploy a mobile depot, the subsystems don't take up additional space in your cargo hold and it seamlessly integrates everything.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#319 - 2013-12-14 14:58:41 UTC
^ I would make a few refinements but I like the idea.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#320 - 2013-12-14 15:00:13 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
^ I would make a few refinements but I like the idea.

Please feel free to jump-in… Big smile

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.