These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Anti-slavery Amnesty Initiative

Author
Shiori Shaishi
Doomheim
#41 - 2013-12-11 22:56:33 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
..and you can do more about it.

As in, still killing millions, but without having to feel quite so guilty about it?

Astera Zandraki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-12-12 00:12:56 UTC
Violence does not achieve everything, it's rather a crude tool in fact. However, when it is used against pirate warships, it can be justified.
Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Black Advent
#43 - 2013-12-12 00:23:56 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Violence does not achieve everything, it's rather a crude tool in fact. However, when it is used against pirate warships, it can be justified.


Violence has proven an effective solution to most problems in human affairs all through history.

I'm sure all the lands and peoples conquered in the past at the point of the sword will agree from where they lie, in the dustbins of that history.


Kurilaivonen|Concern

Ferro Mapindazi
#44 - 2013-12-12 08:41:36 UTC
Cuci Cairi wrote:
Why do you think that your means will be any more successful than those who have failed before you?
The familiar battle cry of mediocrity.

The dull witted and spineless always believe they are powerless.

Sadly they clump everyone else in their pathetic ranks as well.

It must really suck to feel that insignificant.

Imagine how different the cluster would be if the first pilot to successfully jump to warp had felt that way, so many had failed already.

**Eject from your ship & flee! No quarter is given to the enemies of the Matari people and the Minmatar Republic! Drake Ashigaru Alliance, we hold fast to our principles, if we make a deal, we keep the deal, if you give your word you are bound by it.

Dangirdas Bachir
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-12-12 09:08:44 UTC
Cookies for all who support this Initiative!

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#46 - 2013-12-12 10:20:01 UTC
Concord might be biased in favor of the Federation and Republic, but it would not support this 'initiative'. The Empire has legal authority to hold slaves, as acknowledged by Concord itself, and so has broken no interstellar laws. Concord should sooner take action against the Republic for its continued violations against other member states (and Concord itself).

And if you are opposed to slavery, then you should be looking towards the Angel Cartel and Blood Raiders, not the Empire. Those organizations, along with Nation, are where the real atrocities occur.
Astera Zandraki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-12-12 14:30:46 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:


Violence has proven an effective solution to most problems in human affairs all through history.

I'm sure all the lands and peoples conquered in the past at the point of the sword will agree from where they lie, in the dustbins of that history.




Just how long did Heth sit on his throne of bayonets?
Astera Zandraki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-12-12 14:34:11 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:

And if you are opposed to slavery, then you should be looking towards the Angel Cartel and Blood Raiders, not the Empire. Those organizations, along with Nation, are where the real atrocities occur.


You know as much as I that atrocities against slaves are committed on a daily basis in the Empire Sami, don't kid yourself. If there was regulation on treatment of prisoners (what slaves are, after all) then I might agree with you. But there isn't. So I don't.
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#49 - 2013-12-12 15:16:28 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:


Violence has proven an effective solution to most problems in human affairs all through history.

I'm sure all the lands and peoples conquered in the past at the point of the sword will agree from where they lie, in the dustbins of that history.




Just how long did Heth sit on his throne of bayonets?


Long enough to discover that force alone doesn't make a ruler legitimate.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Black Advent
#50 - 2013-12-13 00:15:23 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:


Violence has proven an effective solution to most problems in human affairs all through history.

I'm sure all the lands and peoples conquered in the past at the point of the sword will agree from where they lie, in the dustbins of that history.




Just how long did Heth sit on his throne of bayonets?


And yet you fail to understand my comments completely.

As for Heth, he at least understood that when an opposing party in a negotiation becomes recalcitrant and refuses to negotiate, then at times you must indeed put the metaphorical barrel of a gun to their head to either promote further dialogue or enforce compliance to your will.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Saya Ishikari
Ishukone-Raata Technological Research Institute
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#51 - 2013-12-13 01:10:26 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:


Violence has proven an effective solution to most problems in human affairs all through history.

I'm sure all the lands and peoples conquered in the past at the point of the sword will agree from where they lie, in the dustbins of that history.




Just how long did Heth sit on his throne of bayonets?

Long enough to screw up and lose nearly everything he managed to gain.

"At the end of it all, we have only what we've left in our wake to be remembered by." -Kyoko Ishikari, YC 95 - YC 117

Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Black Advent
#52 - 2013-12-13 02:49:20 UTC
It's always such a simple affair to issue denouncements when freed from consequence.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Naomi Tichim
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#53 - 2013-12-13 04:16:49 UTC
I do hope that slavery as currently practiced in the Empire will end. But it will end not because of outside force, but because WE - the Amarr - recognize its illegitimacy.

Your proposal would actually hamper the reform movement by forcing reformists to relocate to outside the Empire, where our voices are weaker.
Saya Ishikari
Ishukone-Raata Technological Research Institute
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#54 - 2013-12-13 04:22:08 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:
It's always such a simple affair to issue denouncements when freed from consequence.

Something we all abuse, really. I don't hear the ring of disagreement there, however.

"At the end of it all, we have only what we've left in our wake to be remembered by." -Kyoko Ishikari, YC 95 - YC 117

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-12-13 05:03:13 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Sir, I'd like to note that I didn't call you a name. I called your idea a name. It's a small point, but relevant.


By attacking the idea and not the person behind the idea it opens the way to sensible discourse.
Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#56 - 2013-12-13 18:42:58 UTC
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:

And if you are opposed to slavery, then you should be looking towards the Angel Cartel and Blood Raiders, not the Empire. Those organizations, along with Nation, are where the real atrocities occur.


You know as much as I that atrocities against slaves are committed on a daily basis in the Empire Sami, don't kid yourself. If there was regulation on treatment of prisoners (what slaves are, after all) then I might agree with you. But there isn't. So I don't.


Heideran and Doriam edicts are suddenly all fantasy now ?
Naomi Tichim
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#57 - 2013-12-13 19:27:36 UTC
Lyn Farel wrote:
Astera Zandraki wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:

And if you are opposed to slavery, then you should be looking towards the Angel Cartel and Blood Raiders, not the Empire. Those organizations, along with Nation, are where the real atrocities occur.


You know as much as I that atrocities against slaves are committed on a daily basis in the Empire Sami, don't kid yourself. If there was regulation on treatment of prisoners (what slaves are, after all) then I might agree with you. But there isn't. So I don't.


Heideran and Doriam edicts are suddenly all fantasy now ?


Although they could be better enforced. If they'd have been followed... well, I would be happier.
Ferro Mapindazi
#58 - 2013-12-14 19:45:54 UTC
Naomi Tichim wrote:
I do hope that slavery as currently practiced in the Empire will end. But it will end not because of outside force, but because WE - the Amarr - recognize its illegitimacy.

Your proposal would actually hamper the reform movement by forcing reformists to relocate to outside the Empire, where our voices are weaker.
Sadly the current state of affairs is that all the amarr of good conscious who dare to speak up risk being labeled heretic. Sometimes a brain drain, in this case the people of good conscious leaving could be what it takes to spur the empire into action.

I believe it will take drastic dramatic action to enable the voluntary eradication of slavery, jamyl needs a public outcry to stimulate her into action. There are people of good conscious that are living in amarr, they need support and these proposed sanctions against the empire would make their position stronger not weaker.

The status quo will not change without some major alteration to the consequences of living in a state that uses, profits, and connects religious validation to this inhumane practice of human slavery.

Evil has consequences.

**Eject from your ship & flee! No quarter is given to the enemies of the Matari people and the Minmatar Republic! Drake Ashigaru Alliance, we hold fast to our principles, if we make a deal, we keep the deal, if you give your word you are bound by it.

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#59 - 2013-12-14 21:51:11 UTC
I suppose that you also seek to reform the same kind of abuses happening right inside the Republic too ?
Vaari
Imperial Pharmacy
#60 - 2013-12-15 01:43:33 UTC
You are stupid.

Fear the God and honor the Empress!

-House Valius battle shout.