These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A spin off of the martial arts thread... Personal weapons.

Author
Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#101 - 2013-12-05 01:58:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Agiri Falken
((Somehow it double posted. Can somebody from ISD remove this one? ))
Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#102 - 2013-12-05 02:00:50 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Agiri Falken wrote:
Can't say I'd ever use it in a firefight myself, Fred, but I can appreciate a classic piece like that, and the nerve it takes to actually use it.

I've been training with dueling pistols since I was very young. I would not recommend anyone who hasn't trained specifically in pistol dueling to try using one in an actual combat scenario. If you have military training, a regular pistol will do you much better.

I'm usually not a direct combatant when I'm in a battlezone. I'm either covering something for The Scope, or coordinating with DUST Mercs. As a result, I can get away with my dueling pistol most of the time, I rarely have to fire it unless things go south. On one occasion, I had to fight my way out of an ambush with several colleagues and DUST mercenaries. I turned down using a conventional weapon mostly because of my preference for the dueling pistol. It performed rather admirably, I never missed a shot and every shot took down and adversary despite our foes wearing rather thick body armor (armor of any kind is forbidden in lethal and non lethal duels as a result most dueling pistols are not intended to have armor piercing capabilities). I didn't have the time to check if they were all lethal hits, but they probably were. Anti-matter doesn't do a body good.

I wouldn't say it takes nerve to actually use it in a firefight, at least anymore than other weapons. It's merely a weapon I've been fond of and have a personal connection with. Soldiers have an affinity to their assault rifles, assassins love their knives, hitmen adore their snipers, and duelist such as myself prefer their dueling pistols. I appreciate the kind words however, thank you.

*grins* I'll take my fifty plus charges to a mag, selective fire assault weapons, my friend. Mostly, it just seems like reloading one round at a time would open you up to all sorts of badness. Like I said, nerve. But you also make a valid point with the "affinities" you mentioned... If it's anything less than an extension of yourself, a weapon is only for show.
C krawiec
TessoCorp
#103 - 2013-12-11 23:16:58 UTC
I aced my personal weapons training in the institute, and have a modified version of the Duvolle assault rifle, toned down so that a non-dust-merc can use one. And if that doesnt work, I have a collection of daggars, knives, and silenced pistols under my jacket. That way, the only thing that will gain any sort of attention is me yelling at my sleeping bodyguards.... and the dead bodies on the floor.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#104 - 2013-12-11 23:52:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
C krawiec wrote:
I aced my personal weapons training in the institute, and have a modified version of the Duvolle assault rifle, toned down so that a non-dust-merc can use one

Somebody sold you a hot air blower? I wouldn't rate that in a fight. Good for stripping paint, though.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Aracturus
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#105 - 2013-12-12 00:05:20 UTC
Stitcher wrote:

Somebody sold you a hot air blower? I wouldn't rate that in a fight. Good for stripping paint, though.

It also functions as a hair dryer.

This is now a WIDOT thread!

Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#106 - 2013-12-12 00:05:28 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
C krawiec wrote:
I aced my personal weapons training in the institute, and have a modified version of the Duvolle assault rifle, toned down so that a non-dust-merc can use one

Yeeeeeeah... I have to ask... Why bother to detune a duster gun when DL makes the absolute best standard infantry plasma rifles in the Cluster? The G75-VLB is just a bigger variant of the more standard guns in the G series. Get one of the normal ones, it'll weigh half as much, and do just fine against non-dusters.
Korsavius
Revenent Defence Corperation
#107 - 2013-12-12 00:14:31 UTC
I have had training in various types of weapons, the specifics of which are not the concern of the greater IGS community (for the same reasons I stated in the martial arts topic). However, I must note the previous derailment of this topic was rather amusing to read. Anyway, carry on.

Cold Wind's Blade || Follow the I-RED Newsfeed & visit the I-RED GalNet site!

Stitcher
Caldari State
#108 - 2013-12-12 00:16:21 UTC
Aracturus wrote:
Stitcher wrote:

It also functions as a hair dryer.

well, sure. if you don't mind delivering a few hundred milliSieverts to your brain...

AKA Hambone

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#109 - 2013-12-12 03:22:59 UTC
I keep my pod programmed to crash on my location at top speed on command, or should I be killed. If I'm in my pod, I shouldn't need a sidearm.

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Denak Calamari
Incorruptibles
#110 - 2013-12-12 09:16:10 UTC
Agiri Falken wrote:
Stitcher wrote:
C krawiec wrote:

Yeeeeeeah... I have to ask... Why bother to detune a duster gun when DL makes the absolute best standard infantry plasma rifles in the Cluster? The G75-VLB is just a bigger variant of the more standard guns in the G series. Get one of the normal ones, it'll weigh half as much, and do just fine against non-dusters.

Pretty much all duster equipment is originally from other fields, and only very few things have been designed specifically for DUST mercenaries. Heck, the heaviest DUST weapon you can get, the Forge Gun, is a re-purposed Deep Core mining tool, and the Heavy Machine Gun used to be a vehicle mounted turret. I don't get it why people call the baseliner versions toned down, when its the duster version that were modified and beefed up for more lethality.

That said, I used a hot air blower once to detonate a miniature explosive charge attached inside it. It was surprisingly effective disabling people's hands while they were stripping paint.
Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#111 - 2013-12-12 12:36:01 UTC
Denak Calamari wrote:
Agiri Falken wrote:
Stitcher wrote:
C krawiec wrote:

Pretty much all duster equipment is originally from other fields, and only very few things have been designed specifically for DUST mercenaries. Heck, the heaviest DUST weapon you can get, the Forge Gun, is a re-purposed Deep Core mining tool, and the Heavy Machine Gun used to be a vehicle mounted turret. I don't get it why people call the baseliner versions toned down, when its the duster version that were modified and beefed up for more lethality.

That said, I used a hot air blower once to detonate a miniature explosive charge attached inside it. It was surprisingly effective disabling people's hands while they were stripping paint.

Pretty much nailed it on DUSTer weapons, yeah... And I blame you for making my sides hurt, dammit. ;) I'd have paid to see that.
Stitcher
Caldari State
#112 - 2013-12-12 15:15:22 UTC
No, much of the light weaponry is specifically designed for the DUST merc market.

Take the Duvolle G75-VLB: that thing has the highest plasma density per shot of any blaster rifle on the market, and the highest cyclotron power rating. all of which they made room for by stripping out the radiation sink and heat shielding. That thing will fatally irradiate a user who's not wearing a dropsuit, in addition to giving them horrible burns on their hands. Hell, even the mercs get a nasty dose of radiation from firing that gun, but given how short the life expectancy on their clones is, that hardly matters.

Don't get me started on those plasma shotguns CreoDron make. Those things will set you on fire if you fire them, quite aside from the cyclotron radiation. There was no market for a gun like that before DUST troopers came along. I mean sure, laser rifles and scramblers are just the same weapons with the safety protocols stripped out, and SWARM launchers are all but unchanged, but it's not like there are no weapons for the DUST trooper market.

Besides, rumour is that some of the weapons labs are experimenting with morphite enrichment. Try to imagine a tech two assault rifle for a second. or tech three! I guarantee you some crazy bastard at Kaalakiota has already experimented with fullerenes and Sleeper nanoribbons.

AKA Hambone

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#113 - 2013-12-12 17:21:06 UTC
I have a knife.
Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#114 - 2013-12-12 23:00:31 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
No, much of the light weaponry is specifically designed for the DUST merc market.

Take the Duvolle G75-VLB: that thing has the highest plasma density per shot of any blaster rifle on the market, and the highest cyclotron power rating. all of which they made room for by stripping out the radiation sink and heat shielding. That thing will fatally irradiate a user who's not wearing a dropsuit, in addition to giving them horrible burns on their hands. Hell, even the mercs get a nasty dose of radiation from firing that gun, but given how short the life expectancy on their clones is, that hardly matters.

Don't get me started on those plasma shotguns CreoDron make. Those things will set you on fire if you fire them, quite aside from the cyclotron radiation. There was no market for a gun like that before DUST troopers came along. I mean sure, laser rifles and scramblers are just the same weapons with the safety protocols stripped out, and SWARM launchers are all but unchanged, but it's not like there are no weapons for the DUST trooper market.

Besides, rumour is that some of the weapons labs are experimenting with morphite enrichment. Try to imagine a tech two assault rifle for a second. or tech three! I guarantee you some crazy bastard at Kaalakiota has already experimented with fullerenes and Sleeper nanoribbons.

Pretty sure he's saying that the tech behind them existed long before now, not that they aren't specifically made for the market. Plasma weapons have been around halfway to forever, after all, but yeah, those scaled up DUST pieces are dangerous for anybody but their intended user... Dunno about the whole "immediate fatal radiation" bit, but it will absolutely flash blind someone, break their arm and shoulder, and leave burns on any exposed skin.
Arkady Vachon
The Gold Angels
Sixth Empire
#115 - 2013-12-13 12:23:08 UTC
Tend to see that in other DUSTer equipment.

Take the Drop Uplinks for example.

Quote:
"The drop uplink is a slave transponder, a short-range tether that produces the precise spatial coordinates necessary to generate a localized wormhole, traversal of which allows the user to travel short distances instantly. Highly experimental, the process is excruciatingly painful and exposes organic tissue to excessive radiation, resulting in accelerated cellular decay and, ultimately, death. "

That's gotta leave a mark. Granted, the ability to hop through a miniwormhole in a dropsuit and come out whereever the uplink is clamped down is an enormous tactical advanateg if deployed intelligently (not in places where, say, someone might ambush you.)

Wish we had these when I was in the service, but wouldnt have been too keen on rad-roasting myself with it, especially in those days before the DUSTers clone bodies, implants, and dropsuits.

Nothing Personal - Just Business...

Chaos Creates Content

Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#116 - 2013-12-13 22:59:35 UTC
Arkady Vachon wrote:
Tend to see that in other DUSTer equipment.

Take the Drop Uplinks for example.

Quote:
"The drop uplink is a slave transponder, a short-range tether that produces the precise spatial coordinates necessary to generate a localized wormhole, traversal of which allows the user to travel short distances instantly. Highly experimental, the process is excruciatingly painful and exposes organic tissue to excessive radiation, resulting in accelerated cellular decay and, ultimately, death. "

That's gotta leave a mark. Granted, the ability to hop through a miniwormhole in a dropsuit and come out whereever the uplink is clamped down is an enormous tactical advanateg if deployed intelligently (not in places where, say, someone might ambush you.)

Wish we had these when I was in the service, but wouldnt have been too keen on rad-roasting myself with it, especially in those days before the DUSTers clone bodies, implants, and dropsuits.

That thing, yeah. It's pretty much expressly stated in the user manual. Just saying, I have yet to register radiation surges from my guns. Just because one system does it, didn't mean they all do, my friend. After all, techs and armorers have to work with them too, which includes strapping them into armatures for test firings... Who knows, maybe my kits different, but I doubt it.
Erik Kaassan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#117 - 2013-12-15 05:16:33 UTC
Jurou Yuan wrote:
I find that my social grace keeps me from needing a side arm.

"Offer one hand, arm the other", or so one of my associates have told me. It's a good philosophy to keep in my experience.

My TT-3 pistol (A gift from a merc friend) has saved me in a few bar fights at the Intaki Station I live in. Other than that i keep a Chimera shotgun in my quarters and a small knife on my person. I think I'll keep those there however. My fiance won't like guns in her home. Especially not the first several years when we decide to have children.
Erik Kaassan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#118 - 2013-12-15 05:44:22 UTC
Sakuma Ogunuchi wrote:
I've been experimenting with a series of capsuleer specific nano-viruses.

For example, one is tailored to leave small bumps on the genitalia and cost almost as much as a full set of standard +4 implants to cure.

A second, which is still in the experimental phase, is targeted towards low-grade clones and causes a sense of euphoria in the victim while simultaneously inhibiting feelings of empathy or guilt. The test subjects often report feeling as though they were 'awakening for the first time' or 'being truly free.'

Weaponized nano-virus? That seems like a very inefficient (and indiscriminate) way to attack somebody.

Come to think of it, is that even legal?
Saya Ishikari
Ishukone-Raata Technological Research Institute
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#119 - 2013-12-15 06:55:23 UTC
Erik Kaassan wrote:
Sakuma Ogunuchi wrote:
I've been experimenting with a series of capsuleer specific nano-viruses.

For example, one is tailored to leave small bumps on the genitalia and cost almost as much as a full set of standard +4 implants to cure.

A second, which is still in the experimental phase, is targeted towards low-grade clones and causes a sense of euphoria in the victim while simultaneously inhibiting feelings of empathy or guilt. The test subjects often report feeling as though they were 'awakening for the first time' or 'being truly free.'

Weaponized nano-virus? That seems like a very inefficient (and indiscriminate) way to attack somebody.

Come to think of it, is that even legal?

To put it simply... No.

"At the end of it all, we have only what we've left in our wake to be remembered by." -Kyoko Ishikari, YC 95 - YC 117

Per Bastet
B.O.O.M
#120 - 2013-12-17 23:50:28 UTC
I personally carry a pair of Scrambler Pistols, as well as a couple of nova knives. My corporation also has a few Dust Mercs on the payroll to act as bodyguards for more serious security risks.

I know I spend about 10 hours a week on the firing range with my pistols so I feel that I am quite competent with them. As in I would pass military qualifications with them.

"Whether the paranoid conspiracy theory community has had a separate trial process and decided other crazy batshit insane garbage was true I can't attest to as I don't subscribe to that mailing list and instead deal in the realm of fact."  - CCP Sreegs, 2013