These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Missile pirate ships

First post
Author
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#1 - 2013-12-10 20:21:45 UTC
So, for pirate faction ships, we currently have:
- Gurista. Drones with missiles as a secondary weapon system.
- Sansha. Energy turrets with drones as secondary.
- Blood raiders. Energy turrets with drones as secondary.
- Angel cartel. Projectiles with drones as secondary.
- Serpentis. Hybrids with drones as secondary.

and now:
- SOE. Energy turrets and drones about equal.

So...where's the pirate faction that uses missiles as its primary weapon? As a missile user, I have no capital warfare to look forward to since the Phoenix is useless, so where's my "endgame" subcap content? Other than cross-training into guns, what do I have to look forward to?

No, Guristas don't count. The Rattlesnake isn't a missile boat, it's a drone boat that also can fit missiles.

CCP decided to add yet another drones/energy turret option with the SOE stuff, and yet missiles still remain a second-class citizen behind drones and all the guns...
Turk MacRumien
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-12-10 20:30:10 UTC
Stealth "missiles suck whyyyyy?" post?

Stealth "missiles suck whyyyyy?" post.

But seriously, they probably don't because missiles suck. Maybe the future Cal/Matar (if they make one) faction will use them if they find a way to fix them.
Wayward Hero
Wayward Ventures
#3 - 2013-12-10 20:31:44 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
As a missile user, I have no capital warfare to look forward to since the Phoenix is useless, so where's my "endgame" subcap content? Other than cross-training into guns, what do I have to look forward to?

Tengu?

Widow?

Though I do agree, Gurista's faction ships could use some missile-focused lovin'.
In my perfect world they would keep the drone bonuses and also receive a missile boost (extra launchers or +damage role bonuses)
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#4 - 2013-12-10 21:06:56 UTC
The Mordus Legion could probably fit the bill here, but what does a pirate missile-focused race add? What would be the difference between Caldari (shields, missiles/rail guns) and your proposed new pirate faction? You already have the CNR & the Golem. What unique bonus would you give that race, because you are missing the point by looking at these ships purely in terms of gank and tank. Not only that, but the lore is totally out of whack for most pirate factions as it is now.

I have nothing against missiles, but it seems that a Caldari/Minmatar cross would look a lot like the Cyclone.

Guristas - missiles, shields, ECM (now drones for some absurd reason)
Serpentis - blasters, armor, webs
Angels - projectiles, shield, target painters, speed
Blood Raiders - lasers, armor, neutralizers
Sanshas - lasers, armor, tracking disrupters (changed to shields, but still armor mods as loot)

As you can see, Pirate factions were originally differentiated by E-War as much as anything. CCP chose to make some of the pirate BS's more focused on roles that depart from this pattern and are more pure tank or gank focused. In my opinion, this was a mistake. Not all bonuses are created equal... Angels would suck if half their bonuses were to target painters.

Similarly, the Rattlesnake would be great for PVE if it had a damage bonus to missiles and drones. As it is, it is a big brick with drones. It would be much more interesting for PVP as a true ECM battleship.

To me, the Angel, Serpentis, and Blood Raider ships are the most interesting because they have useful roles. The Nightmare is a very effective ship, but it is an abomination in terms of lore. It is a pure DPS monster. People would hate it as an E-War BS.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Paul Panala
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-12-10 21:09:34 UTC
Yes, I agree. It would be great to have a pirate faction that used missiles.

Turk, missiles to not suck, not even close. They may not work well in big blob fleets, but there are plenty of places where they do work well. 1v1 a missile boat can hold its own against gun boats of a similar class. The OP was simply pointing out that there is no pirate missile ships available.
Chris Winter
#6 - 2013-12-10 21:15:13 UTC
Turk MacRumien wrote:
Stealth "missiles suck whyyyyy?" post?

Stealth "missiles suck whyyyyy?" post.

But seriously, they probably don't because missiles suck. Maybe the future Cal/Matar (if they make one) faction will use them if they find a way to fix them.

Missiles would suck less if the ships that used them didn't suck.

See: Caldari kinetic bonus preventing one of the primary advantages of missiles from being used.
See: Pants-on-head Nighthawk slot layout.

Wayward Hero wrote:
Tengu?

Depending on what "end-game" content you're talking about, maybe. But it's not a sexy pirate BS D:

Quote:
Widow?

Did you mean Golem? The Widow is just a bridging ship...

Compared to T1 BSes, Pirate BSes add a ton of damage. Golem doesn't do that.

FT Diomedes wrote:
The Mordus Legion could probably fit the bill here, but what does a pirate missile-focused race add? What would be the difference between Caldari (shields, missiles/rail guns) and your proposed new pirate faction?

Excellent question, but then again, what's the difference between and Gallente (hybrids, drones, armor or light shield) and Serpentis?

If you want to talk ewar, maybe target painters? There aren't any pirate faction ships currently with a bonus to that.

As for what faction--what about mercenaries? Don't they typically use caldari-like ships/weapons?
TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#7 - 2013-12-10 21:22:47 UTC
A+C: Sansha
A+G: SoE
A+M: Blood Raiders
C+G: Gurista
C+M: (TM)
G+M: Angels/Guardian Angels (Dramiel/Daredevil)

Caldari and Minmatar Pirate faction missing! what could they be! Missiles and ECM?
Chris Winter
#8 - 2013-12-10 21:27:04 UTC
TheMercenaryKing wrote:

Caldari and Minmatar Pirate faction missing! what could they be! Missiles and ECM?

You missed Serpentis (same spot as SOE).

And a caldari/minmatar, missiles with drones secondary, would be perfect.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#9 - 2013-12-10 21:31:32 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
TheMercenaryKing wrote:

You missed Serpentis (same spot as SOE).

And a caldari/minmatar, missiles with drones secondary, would be perfect.

Serpentis are Gallente/Minmatar.

The best Caldari/Minmatar cross would be missiles + range-bonused webs.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#10 - 2013-12-10 22:51:58 UTC
I vote for a pirate faction with TP bonuses and a missile focus. Fits Caldari/Minmatar theme too.
LtauSTinpoWErs
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-12-10 22:58:35 UTC
Caldari and Minmatar could do missiles and webs.
Chris Winter
#12 - 2013-12-10 23:23:18 UTC
Not sure about webs--there are pirate factions with web bonuses. TPs, on the other hand, aren't bonused on any of the pirate faction stuff, and TPs often help missiles more than webs do (since missiles are often shooting out past web range).
Claud Tiberius
#13 - 2013-12-11 01:55:17 UTC
The Mordus Legion are not pirates.

That said, I wouldn't be against them getting their own ships.

Missiles and ECM? With reduced shields.
Sounds awesome.

But if its to be a new pirate faction, we would defiantly have to consider a Caldari Minmatar fusion. (Something with Missiles and Speed? Or a weapon system 50/50: missile, projectiles). Regardless its going to require some new lore.

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Patri Andari
Thukker Tribe Antiquities Importer
#14 - 2013-12-11 02:07:56 UTC
Thukker Tribe...because I said so.

Give them agility and or low signature bonus from Minnie and Missile range and application (limited damge) from Caldari. Also a gerat place to seed shiled slave equivalent implants

or

Give Guristas back their frakking missile damage bonuses and scrap the need for a new pirate ship line. (Who the hell thought drone bonus and Guristas went together?)

Be careful what you think, for your thoughts become your words. Be careful what you say, for your words become your actions. Be careful what you do, for your actions become your character. And character is everything. - author unknown

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#15 - 2013-12-11 02:20:23 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
Not sure about webs--there are pirate factions with web bonuses. TPs, on the other hand, aren't bonused on any of the pirate faction stuff, and TPs often help missiles more than webs do (since missiles are often shooting out past web range).

Serpentis ships have strength-bonused webs that really complement their blasters. This is why Serpentis ships are good.

Range-bonused webs would nicely complement missiles - webs are a much better bonused mod than target painters.

zbaaca
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#16 - 2013-12-11 02:22:46 UTC
i just imagined abbadon with 8 misiles and awesome black EoM painting...

Bugs are opportunities to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction. --Zorgn ♡♡♡

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#17 - 2013-12-11 02:35:34 UTC
Claud Tiberius wrote:
The Mordus Legion are not pirates.

Neither are Sisters of Eve. The pirate moniker clearly shouldn't be taken literally at this point.
Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#18 - 2013-12-11 02:36:21 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
webs are a much better bonused mod than target painters.

Unless one wants to engage at long range.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#19 - 2013-12-11 03:05:04 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:

Not much utility in engaging outside gang-linked, overheated point range.

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#20 - 2013-12-11 03:11:28 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:

Not much utility in engaging outside gang-linked, overheated point range.

Snipers and kiters disagree.
123Next pageLast page