These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Eve online @ 4k Resolutions

Author
marVLs
#21 - 2013-12-10 19:44:14 UTC
Terrible terrible idea without HD textures.

BRING THEM TO US CCP!!!
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#22 - 2013-12-10 20:59:20 UTC
marVLs wrote:
Terrible terrible idea without HD textures.

BRING THEM TO US CCP!!!

I'm thinking more of running multiple clients without having to stack windows as much (no, I won't use isboxer).

Currently I run 3 clients per display, with two displays, and only one client per display fully visible.
Amateratsu
The Pegasus Project
#23 - 2013-12-10 21:03:33 UTC
The Tv I was looking at is a 39" Seiki.

Amaxzon Linky

Unfortunately it does not come with a Displayport inputCry

The plan is to have 4 to 5 clients on screen simultaneously in windowed mode at nearly full HD res on each.

My desk space is not big enough for a multi monitor setup.

I currently have a 22" Asus ws monitor.
TharOkha
0asis Group
#24 - 2013-12-10 21:26:24 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
Go rather for 3 pc monitors instead of nowadays 4k displays. The cheap ones sucks and are small, the good big ones ones costs as brand new car. I brought 3x MVA-panel 24" LED monitors with pivot, and displayport. I removed plastic cover from them so bezels are narrow (only 9mm). It will costs you less than 400-500 eur and you will achieve resolution 3240x1920 at 42"..... "Almost" 4K resolution for a fraction of money. And its perfect for EVE.

And yes, textures really sucks at this resolution but UI is fantastic.
Phoenix Jones
The Markoni Dragons
#25 - 2013-12-10 22:02:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Jones
Few bits of info in the limited research I did.

You want a 60hz monitor (most 4k's are at 30 hz).

2, you'll most likely need one with a display port connection, as the alternative requires two hdmi connections (dvi? whatever they are called).

I would wait till the new sub $1000 dell ones come out. Right now the proper 4k monitors are running around 3 grand, with the lesser 30hz ones running much less.

There are maybe 2 or 3 monitors out that are gaming quality, all WAAAAY overpriced.

You really gotta read the fineprint. Its says 120.. but look in the spec's.

4k2k 30Hz (only HDMI)

This is not the monitor you want to buy. If you can hang a month or two there should be some better options.

Yaay!!!!

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#26 - 2013-12-10 22:55:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Amateratsu wrote:
The Tv I was looking at is a 39" Seiki.

Amaxzon Linky

That display is way too slow. It has 30 Hz refresh, and huge amount of latency.

It also has a couple of firmware bugs at lower resolutions (the 50 in. doesn't).
Lord Maldoror
Fairlight Corp
Rooks and Kings
#27 - 2013-12-10 23:07:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Maldoror
I often play Eve at 4K resolution (3840x2160).

If you're curious about how Eve looks at those resolutions, you can have a look at my 4K Wallpapers and Raw 4K screenshot collection. The latter, in particular, includes shots taken from battles with several thousand ships in Local in some of Eve's biggest battles.

Remember of course to mouse-over the image and choose 'View Full Resolution'.

Sadly, as pointed out on Reddit, even with the Pro account that I bought specifically for this purpose, Imgur does in fact compress screenshots in the 5mb - 10mb range and so there are some artifacts as a result of that.

There are presently very few options for streaming 4K content, as the bandwidth requirements are obviously very high and the target audience is still small. However, I do have a very nice RnK battle recorded at 4K resolution that I may upload sometime as a massive MP4/MKV on Eve-Files.

Also, to touch on some of the points raised here and answer some questions:

1) Higher resolution textures would certainly benefit 4K but as you can see in the screenshots, Eve is a remarkable engine in terms of its ability to scale and the results, even presently, are impressive.

2) You can certainly notice the benefits of 4K immediately - the clarity and quality of the image does feel 'next gen'. I'd urge people to check out Eurogamer's tech analysis of 4K in games for both qualitative and quantitative comparisons. However, monitors won't be 'done' until we have at least 8K resolution at 240hz on 24' screens. The human eye is an incredible thing and reviews that say 4K is perfection probably also claimed 30fps was perfect, even though we now live in what the (console) gaming press calls the 60fps revolution, and titles are often marked down for 'sluggish' 30fps locks.

3) Video memory requirements are considerable. If you don't have a Titan SLI setup, it's probably not worth considering 4K at the moment. The 780Ti will soon come in 6gb flavours and that will be fine, too. On the ATI front, I guess the 290X does very well in 4K benchmarks - but I've seen video memory use in extreme Eve battles go beyond the amount that the 290X presently carries. So be careful, since hardware reviews obviously don't benchmark for Eve.

4) Is it worth the money? Perhaps. However, with Dell having announced three new 4K screens this month and other competitors gearing up, there will be a lot more options (and thus better prices) by March. Future 4K screens may also support Nvidia G-sync, which is an interesting new technology - without, it you're back to having screen tearing and Vsync issues, since 120hz at 4K is not possible until the next gen of DisplayPort.

The most affordable 4K screen will be the 28' Dell 4K monitor, due out in a few weeks, iirc.

If you're looking to enhance Eve's natural atmosphere and sense of sci-fi 'awe', however, don't rule out a digital projector. Whilst 4K brings extreme fidelity, a good projector brings scale. My favourite 'visual' Eve experience is still playing through one during a pipebombing, where the projector essentially pasted a monstrous space volcano across a wall.
Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#28 - 2013-12-11 00:25:26 UTC
Lord Maldoror wrote:

Interesting read. What I'm really curious about is how the UI behaves in that resolution. I have a two 24" 1920x1200 setup and I'm considering stepping up to 2560x1440. Do you have any screenshots with all the usual UI elements showing somewhere? I'd love to get a peek at that.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#29 - 2013-12-11 00:45:46 UTC
Lord Maldoror wrote:
The most affordable 4K screen will be the 28' Dell 4K monitor, due out in a few weeks, iirc.
I sure hope you mean 28", not 28', or I'm going to question its usefulness for gaming. P

Anyway, that makes for a minimum viewing distance of about half a meter, which is pretty good.
Lord Maldoror
Fairlight Corp
Rooks and Kings
#30 - 2013-12-11 17:01:59 UTC
Ravcharas wrote:
Lord Maldoror wrote:

Interesting read. What I'm really curious about is how the UI behaves in that resolution. I have a two 24" 1920x1200 setup and I'm considering stepping up to 2560x1440. Do you have any screenshots with all the usual UI elements showing somewhere? I'd love to get a peek at that.

This shot has the UI elements, for example (also all brackets on, etc.). If you click on the Imgur username there should be other galleries, too, including some more 4K stuff.

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#31 - 2013-12-11 17:46:55 UTC
Woah
Christopher AET
Lethal Injection Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#32 - 2013-12-11 19:49:52 UTC
I would say we are about a year from 4k going mainstream. Til then it'll be very much the shiny toy. We all remember how expensive HDtv was circa 2007-8. It'll come down soon as these things always do.

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.

TharOkha
0asis Group
#33 - 2013-12-11 20:22:08 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
this is how it looks like on PPP-eyefinity ([email protected]")

screenshot1
screenshot2

As you can see, EVE is well optimized for high resolution.

and its not just about gaming. Such a high resolutions are great for work also. Check out this wikipedia and excel workspace.

wiki
excel

According the GPU, im using single Radeon 7950 3Gb and its well enough for my gaming. Of course dont expect smooth fps on 8xAA but on this resolution you doesn't really need AA. You can set optimal settings to achieve great visual details without spending thousands on multiple GPUs.

Also Radeos are considerably better at higher resolutions as they are directly build for multi-monitor, high resolution, (4K included) gaming. (please no flame war on this as this is a pure fact)
Doc Severide
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-12-11 20:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Severide
I got 2 x 30 Inch at 2560 x 1600. They look pretty awesome too. Beats that crappy 1080P by just so much...

Not both on 1 machine though, I'll try that when I get the 3rd...

Everyone is always repeating the mantra "Don't Trust Anyone" ad nauseum... If I can't trust the guys I play with, why bother playing with them at all? Fly Solo...

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#35 - 2013-12-11 22:10:25 UTC
*Scratch*
Previous page12