These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why did NSA avoid EVE Online?

Author
Faidin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2013-12-10 04:13:00 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
Quote:
The spies have created make-believe characters to snoop and to try to recruit informers, while also collecting data and contents of communications between players, according to the documents

so if I get this right, theye paid someone to sit in the jita of wow to read all the spam there to see if someone mentioned theye were going to blow up something or if someone wanted to trade their al-qaida dollars for us dollars(or al-qaida dollars for gold, then gold for us dollars)

No they are more likely paid to sit in TS and other voice coms to initiate anti-government conversations in an attempt too bait people into making compromising statements. Those IP's are likely flagged so the cpu can be hijacked, all in the interest of national security, to make sure they aren't a 'bad guy.'

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#22 - 2013-12-10 05:37:38 UTC
I can neither confirm nor deny that GIA has a spy in the NSA.

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2013-12-10 05:54:17 UTC
Huh, I swear I saw a few shifty types on my last Jita run. Coat and fake mustache and everything...

On a more serious note a few employees probably already are in EVE - you know, just playing it. It does attract a certain breed of people.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Lady Areola Fappington
#24 - 2013-12-10 13:33:44 UTC
Graygor wrote:
They already are in EVE but are probably regular players. I mean look at the variety of players we have now, id bet damn good money we have a large number of people from the intelligence services here.

Theyre taking the meta to the next level.... Shocked

Basically this. Open Source Information (that's stuff anyone can find) can be pretty damn powerful, you just have to collate it all together and find trends.

The most likely "spy" on EVE...some bored junior enlisted intelligence analyst who plays EVE anyway. Takes notes on people in his corp who say interesting anti-american things, and hands it to his superiors.

When I was in the military, we got bombarded with "report shady dudes" notices and such. "Every Soldier A Source" and all that jazz.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Carnagie
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2013-12-10 14:28:53 UTC
Somer blink is a money laundering front for the CIA/NSA, someone had to say it.
Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-12-10 14:39:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Paul Otichoda
On a more serious note I do think the EVE online is probably the kind of game intelligence services would actually want to look at as a way of communicating with people. What with its global servers (apart from China) it would allow people from around the world to talk to one another in a way that wouldn't be normally flagged as communications.

And before people points out the CCP is based in Iceland. I would point out that the main server is in London. Nothing is going to stop someone just leaving a maintenance line open that only they know about.
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-12-10 15:10:05 UTC
Its a well known fact that the NSA have no less than twelve, -TWELVE- Black Legion spies.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#28 - 2013-12-10 15:43:20 UTC
NSA is full of risk averse carebears. I say we collectively wardec and destroy them.
Robby Altair
#29 - 2013-12-10 15:54:08 UTC
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#30 - 2013-12-10 16:30:57 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Robby Altair wrote:
"SAIC and Lockheed Martin won contracts worth several million dollars, administered by an office within the intelligence community that finances research projects. " Current, or future millions of dollars in black box contracts. Off the books.

Probably this data well also be transferred to their consumer research divisions.

Haha the once famous Lockheed that used to build amazing aircraft.

Now they just spy on us and build ****** fighters that try to kill their pilots and that cost way too much to develop.

Company hardware best hardware

https://www.google.com/search?q=sr-72&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-12-10 18:39:18 UTC
Faidin wrote:
The wackos are spying on Eve - just like other mmorpgs, but especially Eve with it's international player base...only a moron would assume they're not doing it b/c the media didn't mention Eve by name...I would wager they deeper into Eve than all the other games out there combined. No joke.

How many games other than Eve have players spying on each other for an in-game advantage ?

How many games other than Eve have players making an effort to stop enemy spies ?

Eve alliances seem like they would be harder to infiltrate than other MMO guilds. Simply because Eve alliances already have stuff they want to hide.
Pontianak Sythaeryn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-12-10 19:16:20 UTC
Anya Klibor wrote:
World of Warcraft and Second Life are based in the United States, so the NSA could get a FISA court to issue a warrant to do so and then have Blizzard and the creators of Second Life served with those unConstitutional warrants that also prevent them from mentioning the fact they are doing so. However, EvE Online s based out of Iceland, and the servers are in England. That extrajudicial territory, and even if they did serve CCP with the same paperwork, as a non-US entity they aren't required to follow through with the requirements not to mention it or tell anyone. The most the US government can do is prevent us from playing EvE Online again, but that would cause a diplomatic incident, believe it or not.

I was under the understanding the NSA has more spying powers on foreign communications than domestic. That is the biggest way they sweep up U.S. communications, is by sweeping up data that goes in and out of the U.S.
Kyseth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2013-12-10 19:28:42 UTC
Graygor wrote:
They already are in EVE but are probably regular players. I mean look at the variety of players we have now, id bet damn good money we have a large number of people from the intelligence services here.

Theyre taking the meta to the next level.... Shocked

RIP Vile Rat.

Maybe not the branch in question, but there are plenty of government officials that have likely been in a sov war or just 0.01 isked you. I wouldn't be surprised if Biden was leading the Russians in the south. Lol
Lady Areola Fappington
#34 - 2013-12-10 19:32:12 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
Faidin wrote:
The wackos are spying on Eve - just like other mmorpgs, but especially Eve with it's international player base...only a moron would assume they're not doing it b/c the media didn't mention Eve by name...I would wager they deeper into Eve than all the other games out there combined. No joke.

How many games other than Eve have players spying on each other for an in-game advantage ?

How many games other than Eve have players making an effort to stop enemy spies ?

Eve alliances seem like they would be harder to infiltrate than other MMO guilds. Simply because Eve alliances already have stuff they want to hide.

The typical "spy" for, say, the NSA isn't gonna give a damn what an EVE alliance has regarding in-game stuff.

Lets say, for ***** and giggles, there's a person of interest in an alliance that the NSA/CIA wants to listen in on. It's likely going to go down like this:

Spy joins alliance, watchlists target.
Spy listens in on Ventrillo/teamspeak.
Spy records the person of interest's login/logoff times.
Spy reports this up the chain.
Spy draws as little attention to himself as possible.

Higherups then use the login/logoff patterns, along with intel gathered from other sources, to dronestrike the Person of Interest when they know he's sitting in front of the computer playing EVE.

That's the kind of info the CIA would find useful, and wouldn't expose the agent too much to gather.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#35 - 2013-12-10 19:32:13 UTC
Random McNally wrote:
They just didn't want to admit they are isk doublers.

Fixed that fo ya Big smile

I like Zimmy Zeta.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Naomi Tichim
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#36 - 2013-12-10 19:48:19 UTC
Because Mossad got here first, and we told the CIA "scram, we got dibs". I think the Russians have GuildWars, the Chinese have Lineage 2, and MI6 took Ultima Online.
Casanunda
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2013-12-10 20:11:08 UTC
Naomi Tichim wrote:
Because Mossad got here first, and we told the CIA "scram, we got dibs". I think the Russians have GuildWars, the Chinese have Lineage 2, and MI6 took Ultima Online.
I'd have thought Second Life was more MI-6s style given the British Aristocracy's penchant for kinky sex games, and occasionally dying during them.

The fact that I am not a gazillionaire Gallente aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle.

Naomi Tichim
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#38 - 2013-12-10 20:13:19 UTC
Casanunda wrote:
Naomi Tichim wrote:
I'd have thought Second Life was more MI-6s style given the British Aristocracy's penchant for kinky sex games, and occasionally dying during them.

Why do you think MI6 banned its people from playing SL?
Jane Schereau
#39 - 2013-12-11 02:33:31 UTC
Us CEO's do our jobs too well, they would never get into my corp >_<
Anya Klibor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2013-12-11 04:14:24 UTC
Pontianak Sythaeryn wrote:
Anya Klibor wrote:
World of Warcraft and Second Life are based in the United States, so the NSA could get a FISA court to issue a warrant to do so and then have Blizzard and the creators of Second Life served with those unConstitutional warrants that also prevent them from mentioning the fact they are doing so. However, EvE Online s based out of Iceland, and the servers are in England. That extrajudicial territory, and even if they did serve CCP with the same paperwork, as a non-US entity they aren't required to follow through with the requirements not to mention it or tell anyone. The most the US government can do is prevent us from playing EvE Online again, but that would cause a diplomatic incident, believe it or not.

I was under the understanding the NSA has more spying powers on foreign communications than domestic. That is the biggest way they sweep up U.S. communications, is by sweeping up data that goes in and out of the U.S.

In theory, that i the case. It is like the CIA, which is barred by law from operating on US soil: they can get around this by monitoring anything that has an international connection. By simply having a phone, you have the capability to make international calls, and so the CIA and NSA can monitor you, even if it isn't actually an international call. And because by law they are not law enforcement bodies, it means they get around Constitutional issues 99% of the time. All this stuff about the NSA not violating the Constitution is true: they don't because there is nothing that actually prevents them in the Constitution from doing what they do.

Leadership is something you learn. Maybe one day, you'll learn that.