These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why did NSA avoid EVE Online?

Author
Anny Jackson
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-12-09 16:44:33 UTC
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/world/spies-dragnet-reaches-a-playing-field-of-elves-and-trolls.html?_r=1&

I mean they were spying for WoW and Second Life, but not for EVE. Or they tried but couldn't handle with counterspying?
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#2 - 2013-12-09 17:10:52 UTC
The fact that they've infiltrated EVE is still top secret. They can safely announce that they've infiltrated WoW and Second Life, because those players are chumps. EVE players, though....
Anya Klibor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-12-09 17:16:07 UTC
World of Warcraft and Second Life are based in the United States, so the NSA could get a FISA court to issue a warrant to do so and then have Blizzard and the creators of Second Life served with those unConstitutional warrants that also prevent them from mentioning the fact they are doing so. However, EvE Online s based out of Iceland, and the servers are in England. That extrajudicial territory, and even if they did serve CCP with the same paperwork, as a non-US entity they aren't required to follow through with the requirements not to mention it or tell anyone. The most the US government can do is prevent us from playing EvE Online again, but that would cause a diplomatic incident, believe it or not.

Leadership is something you learn. Maybe one day, you'll learn that.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#4 - 2013-12-09 17:18:03 UTC
They just didn't want to admit they fell prey to isk doublers.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#5 - 2013-12-09 17:29:25 UTC
The NSA agents detached to Iceland where invited to a Thorrablót dinner and still are recovering.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Matokin Lemant
#6 - 2013-12-09 17:42:43 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
The NSA agents detached to Iceland where invited to a Thorrablót dinner and still are recovering.

You could be partly right on that ish I think where eve is an EU based game there is allot more red tape for the NSA to go through in order to "monitor" eve.

Or they could already be here and just refused to say anything about it Shocked
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#7 - 2013-12-09 18:11:42 UTC
We do not know the full list of involved games yet.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Robby Altair
#8 - 2013-12-09 18:47:05 UTC
"SAIC and Lockheed Martin won contracts worth several million dollars, administered by an office within the intelligence community that finances research projects. " Current, or future millions of dollars in black box contracts. Off the books.

Probably this data well also be transferred to their consumer research divisions.

Room 3420 Boelter Hall UCLA

Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#9 - 2013-12-09 18:55:03 UTC
Robby Altair wrote:
"SAIC and Lockheed Martin won contracts worth several million dollars, administered by an office within the intelligence community that finances research projects. " Current, or future millions of dollars in black box contracts. Off the books.

Probably this data well also be transferred to their consumer research divisions.

Haha the once famous Lockheed that used to build amazing aircraft.

Now they just spy on us and build ****** fighters that try to kill their pilots and that cost way too much to develop.
claire xxx
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2013-12-09 19:07:53 UTC
In before anyone starts a conspiracy theory that The Mittani and Goonswarm are actually all NSA secret agents.
Anny Jackson
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-12-09 20:42:28 UTC
claire xxx wrote:
In before anyone starts a conspiracy theory that The Mittani and Goonswarm are actually all NSA secret agents.

They aren't?
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#12 - 2013-12-09 22:27:51 UTC
claire xxx wrote:

You're too late for that, there's already a rumor that Goonswarm is just an NSA/CIA front. Maybe some of their spies in Goonswarm have their alts recruited in your corporation to spy there! Spyception!

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#13 - 2013-12-09 22:38:48 UTC
Maybe because they determined that the type of person that plays EvE is already on their watch list for numerous other potential reasons Lol
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#14 - 2013-12-09 22:48:15 UTC
They've been too busy shitting up GD and C&P with threads about suicide ganking and highsec safety to do any spying.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-12-10 00:10:13 UTC
claire xxx wrote:

Not NSA. CIA
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#16 - 2013-12-10 00:34:11 UTC
Quote:
The spies have created make-believe characters to snoop and to try to recruit informers, while also collecting data and contents of communications between players, according to the documents

so if I get this right, theye paid someone to sit in the jita of wow to read all the spam there to see if someone mentioned theye were going to blow up something or if someone wanted to trade their al-qaida dollars for us dollars(or al-qaida dollars for gold, then gold for us dollars)

hmm, maybe I should set up a contract with secret documents for 5bil and then spam jita with "Battleplans to blow up the whitehouse. DO NOT GIVE TO THE CIA!!!"
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-12-10 01:26:20 UTC
If you figured out that an Eve player was also working for the NSA, how would you ask him to misuse NSA resources for your benefit ?
Garandras
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-12-10 01:34:08 UTC
They probally are in EvE..

but the news reports are for the general population.. How many people do you know in the real world that have heard about EvE and then compare it to the amount of people you know that have heard about WoW and 2nd Life
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-12-10 03:09:42 UTC
They already are in EVE but are probably regular players. I mean look at the variety of players we have now, id bet damn good money we have a large number of people from the intelligence services here.

Theyre taking the meta to the next level.... Shocked

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Faidin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2013-12-10 04:10:15 UTC
The wackos are spying on Eve - just like other mmorpgs, but especially Eve with it's international player base...only a moron would assume they're not doing it b/c the media didn't mention Eve by name...I would wager they deeper into Eve than all the other games out there combined. No joke.
123Next pageLast page