These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

CCP: Have our accounts been spied on?

First post
Author
Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2013-12-09 15:53:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Proletariat Tingtango
What if intelligence workers just played this game in their free time, and due to their profession/training, just logged/recorded, and forwarded suspicious **** to their bosses? I find it really weird as a concept that there are guys who were paid to play and infiltrate MMOs to find terrorists or enemies of the state.

Edit: Also I'm super leftwing but huffpo hasn't been a reliable news source in years.
Zifrian
The Pannion Domin
#22 - 2013-12-09 15:57:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
It's not really the accounts they are after. They were looking for people using games as a way to recruit people and transfer funds. Honestly, I would love to see the information that said this was even a possibility. Transferring funds, maybe...with RMT but you don't need to be involved in game to do that. I think using RMT would be viable if you could keep it running since intel agencies probably don't care if you are a terrorist that loves to go on daily raids, but if you transfer your gold for RMT, might be an interesting way to launder transfers that they wouldn't pick up.

Anywho, most of snowden's stuff lacks context and much of the background information that goes into something like this that most people don't have a clue about, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another media spun story to drum up more ratings.

Edit: yeah, also a left leaning guy and I HATE huffington post and their never ending dribble.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-12-09 15:59:14 UTC
People ask me all the time "Damn, dude.... you're a veteran. How come you hate your own country?"

Well...... crap like this, among other things.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#24 - 2013-12-09 16:01:22 UTC
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:
Edit: Also I'm super leftwing but huffpo hasn't been a reliable news source in years.

Yeah, they're really only a repeater here. The actual article is a collaboration between Propublica, NY Times, and The Guardian.

…so it's only two layers of cruft you have sift through to get to the source. P
Wyrmlimion
Sinister.
Wrecking Machine.
#25 - 2013-12-09 16:04:00 UTC
They would be dumb not to spy on us, terrorists love EvE. What did you think Bin Laden did in that cave for all those years, just find whatever account stopped playing the day he died and you have your answer!
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#26 - 2013-12-09 16:06:52 UTC
Wyrmlimion wrote:
What did you think Bin Laden did in that cave for all those years
Ground purples, obviously.

Hadn't he moved out of the cave by the time WoW came out, though?
Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#27 - 2013-12-09 16:07:59 UTC
Is giving ISK to some n00b potentially material support to terrorists?

Nyan

Othran
Route One
#28 - 2013-12-09 16:29:57 UTC
"But what if all of us...are actually all of them?"

Slight misquote but I'm sure the "egregious" Jim Hacker would approve.
electrostatus
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-12-09 16:37:35 UTC
With all the spying they still can't stop Kruul.

Asteroid Timer: Know exactly when that roid depletes! PI Profit Calculator: calculates your profits and taxes of any PI product depending on how you built them!

ElQuirko
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#30 - 2013-12-09 17:07:16 UTC
You don't need to play EVE to get shitloads of intel about its players. Seriously, Chribba uploads the chat from all major public channels to his websites pro bono.

Dodixie > Hek

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#31 - 2013-12-09 17:10:14 UTC
electrostatus wrote:
With all the spying they still can't stop Kruul.

Sounds like he's exactly their kind of guy, so of course not. P
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2013-12-09 17:11:56 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
You don't need to play EVE to get shitloads of intel about its players. Seriously, Chribba uploads the chat from all major public channels to his websites pro bono.

The vast majority of which is complete crap.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Ria Nieyli
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2013-12-09 17:17:45 UTC
I think they took one look at what's going on in New Eden and just put everyone in the black list. I mean, terrorism is the baseline modus operandi of a decent portion of the playerbase. Suicide ganks on defenceless ships; hunting somebody down pecause somebody paid you to; going to war with other people because you're bored, etc. etc.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#34 - 2013-12-09 17:21:20 UTC
Quote:
31. Rumor mongering is prohibited.

Rumor threads and posts which are based off no actual solid information and are designed to either troll or annoy other users will be locked and removed. These kinds of threads and posts are detrimental to the wellbeing and spirit of the EVE Online Community, and can create undue panic among forum users, as well as adding to the workload of our moderators.

Thread locked.

Tinfoil hats cause toxic station environments; please take care in using them.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Previous page12