These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

o7 CCP Mimic

First post
Author
Pepper Solette
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-12-09 02:37:48 UTC
Hello Mimic,

(I had planned to write this in a personal mail but i wanted to place it here for the community as a whole).

I normally do not write the developers as you certainly have enough to do. But i wanted to take a moment to tell you how much your gesture meant to a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure that you never expected to have to lose your hair. Who would have thought that our community would raise nearly 200 thousand dollars.

6 years of growth is certainly something and to offer to have it taken from you for the purpose of charity is far above and beyond anything we expected.

My 14 year old daughter was in tears as you were having it cut. She kept saying "Why would you do that!"

So as i read all the accolades that CCP Dolan is receiving for taking so many hits from paintballs, in our opinion you took a much more brutal blow. Bruises heal and yes, hair grows back, but i wanted to take a minute and say thank you for such a selfless act.

Much respect and kudos to you.

** Miko Sunji:  "There is no better way to find out if you can swim, than swimming for your life."**

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-12-09 03:00:01 UTC
I wonder if she donated it. (I didn't watch the livestream so if it was mentioned I didn't see it).

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Kenneth Feld
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2013-12-09 03:03:35 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I wonder if she donated it. (I didn't watch the livestream so if it was mentioned I didn't see it).

Yes, they took off the first 3 pig tails in proper length to donate

I believe they said it was for wigs for cancer patients
Myriad Blaze
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#4 - 2013-12-09 08:14:44 UTC
Agreed, respect and kudos to CCP Mimic for donating her hair.
But tbh, the short(er) hair actually suits her very well. Cool
Imho, the length right after cutting the first 3 pig tails (before she got it cut really short) seemed to be perfect.
Rak Jakuard
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-12-09 13:08:50 UTC
short-haired ladies

aw yisss
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#6 - 2013-12-09 15:25:19 UTC
agree'd and donating it to charity is admirable.

I have had cancer myself and worked with those in treatment, Its amazing how much something so simple as a wig can completely change a person.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#7 - 2013-12-09 16:08:32 UTC
I didn't see the livestream, but would still like to salute the CCP personnel who put themselves through the ringer for our amusement.

I'm also proud to fly Internet Spaceships with the many who donated whatever they could (large or small) for this cause.

It speaks volumes when a group of people, most commonly known for cheating, scamming, blowing each other up and generally being complete D**ks to each other, can come together to help when tragedy strikes people in the real world.

Fly Safe Everyone!

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#8 - 2013-12-09 16:11:21 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
I didn't see the livestream, but would still like to salute the CCP personnel who put themselves through the ringer for our amusement.
Jump to ~7h55m for the painful bits.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-12-09 16:19:58 UTC
Extra kudos for doing it in an Icelandic winter, too!

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-12-09 16:41:07 UTC
Yeah, that event was kinda brutal. The moment when Dolan shows his overshot back with Mimic without her hair standing right beside him.. it was the moment when I donated with real money. Then I closed the stream. It was not funny anymore.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2013-12-09 17:41:28 UTC
Yeah, mad respect! Smile
I think she really pulls of the short hair... although I kind of wish they had kept the mullet she was sporting for a few minutes (when 2 pigtails had been cut) Blink

Mhax Arthie wrote:
The moment when Dolan shows his overshot back with Mimic without her hair standing right beside him.. it was the moment when I donated with real money.
And this is the moment when I choke up a little bit... I'm just so proud of all of you and my co-workers for doing so many crazy things for a good cause Smile

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-12-09 17:46:43 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Yeah, mad respect! Smile
I think she really pulls of the short hair... although I kind of wish they had kept the mullet she was sporting for a few minutes (when 2 pigtails had been cut) Blink

Mhax Arthie wrote:
The moment when Dolan shows his overshot back with Mimic without her hair standing right beside him.. it was the moment when I donated with real money.
And this is the moment when I choke up a little bit... I'm just so proud of all of you and my co-workers for doing so many crazy things for a good cause Smile

Hey, don't sell yourself short. You were putting those MAD KNITTING SKILLZ to good use too!

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#13 - 2013-12-09 18:44:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tollen Gallen
o7 CCP Mimic

And those Knitted Hats were awesome, just a shame i could'nt afford to bid for them.. Nice work CCP karkur.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-12-09 18:52:25 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Yeah, mad respect! Smile

Mhax Arthie wrote:

No doubt, this was an awesome event and many thanks to all people at CCP for making the stream. \o/

But poor CCP Dolan... outch :( Few years ago I took a few close shots at a paintball party and damn.... I know how much it hurts! Hope he is feeling better now...
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#15 - 2013-12-09 21:30:31 UTC
Mhax Arthie wrote:
But poor CCP Dolan... outch :( Few years ago I took a few close shots at a paintball party and damn.... I know how much it hurts! Hope he is feeling better now...

When I first did paintball, we had to buy paintballs by the crate [it was a long time ago]. At the end of the day, we still had a LOT leftover. So to get our money's worth, we basically stood in a circle and unloaded on each other until the crate was empty. THAT was not such a good idea!

Never again!

I can't even watch paintball without remembering the pain.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#16 - 2013-12-09 21:47:34 UTC
I hope she updates her avatar on the forums :D

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#17 - 2013-12-09 21:54:33 UTC
Everytime I think I've seen it all, this community does something else to impress the **** out of me.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#18 - 2013-12-09 22:10:52 UTC
Hats off to all who donated, and for CCP to put up with all our shenagians! (seriously, paintballs ouch + cutting off such long hair Shockedbut it was for a good cause!)

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#19 - 2013-12-09 23:20:29 UTC
Deciding which CCP dev endured the "more brutal blow" during the relief telethon is a false choice imo. Some endured physical pain and others (if any) an emotional trauma. (I write 'if any' because Mimic never stopped smiling and laughing throughout the entire ordeal. Had she been apprehensive or upset in any way, I'd be more sympathetic to threads such as this.) Plus, I don't think anyone is less than o7'ing Mimic for her brave, selfless contribution. It was amazing. The whole event was amazing. But it is interesting how the female sacrifice was perceived differently then the males. Even I cringed a little and was happy when the stream went on to Bro's twerking (a difficult thing to admit) because the event had been so much fun up until that point, I didn't want it to end on anything less than a happy note.

I guess I can understand how Dolan's welts or Mimic or Gargant's haircuts could be perceived as 'brutal,' but I do not agree. Imo, this was not abuse, it was hazing. And as a consequence of their collective sacrifices, a lot of money was raised for charity and all of their public profiles have been raised. Why do college fraternities and corporate retreats humiliate participants? Why is drunken karaoke such a popular pasttime? It's primitive human brainwashing via group suffering. When an individual is humiliated, their perceived value within a group is raised. There's probably a point to be made about drawing a line between humiliation and abuse but I don't think it's necessary because it wasn't crossed. None of the participants have expressed regrets. Imo, if it seems as though Dolan is receiving more accolades, it's only because he was humiliated most thoroughly.

YK
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2013-12-09 23:34:28 UTC
I just want to point out that of course no one was forced to do anything they didn't want to do.
It's not like someone just decided that Dolan would be shot every $2k or Mimic's hair cut, that is something they pledged themselves (or agreed to other people's suggestions) and they both deserve a lot of praises for their contribution Smile
They both did awesome Smile

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

123Next page