These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#2801 - 2013-12-08 01:36:33 UTC
RLML's should never have been changed! The PG nerf or the clip size nerf on their own would have been hard to explain, but the 40 second reload time on top has killed them for a lot of players. I could live without them but not when heavies are so utterly crap as well, it just leaves missile pilots with no good options in any ship class between destroyers and battleships. To make the change more pallet-able at least they could fix heavy missiles

Give HML 10% more dps along with explosion radius/velocity stats close to where HAM's are now; still ineffective even with target painters, but good range to make up for it so you can always warp off if your not doing enough damage.

HAM's need explosion velocity buffed so that it isn't possible for enemies to both sig tank, and speed tank at the same time with an afterburner. It should be MWD fit for speed tanking or AB for sig tanking, but not both at the same time. Just make it so speed tanking only gives a slight difference for the first 1200m/s or so, there after it's mostly MWD territory.
Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#2802 - 2013-12-08 01:43:57 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
What players don't seem to realize is that you get more armor resistances and passive tank through armor setups than you do with shield setups, often requiring more slots for comparably less tank. So it's easy to say "dual-web" except more often than not you've only got one slot to point or web - let alone dual webs and a point. And then there's the whole damage application aspect, which sees armor setups using their rigs and slave implants to improve tank while shield ships are relegated to running rigors and flares because they don't even have a spare slot for a target painter.

A passive low-slot Ballistic Enhancer that offered 20% explosion velocity, 10% explosion radius and 10% missile velocity (or some combination thereof) would probably balance things out nicely - maybe even offsetting the original heavy missile and Drake nerfs. It's not like missile-based hulls have a wealth of low slots to really make this offensive, and stacking penalties would be in effect just as they are for Tracking Enhancers. I could see many Caldari ships running a Ballistic Enhancer in place of a third or fourth Ballistic Control instead - so it's not like this won't come with a tradeoff, either.

The main issue is that instead of slowly making improvements to missiles it's been a steady series of nerfs while continuing to ignore the fundamental problems. As I've previously stated, it's not hard to fix missiles: you just need to have the actual desire to do so.

Exactly the problem, turret pilots have 3-4 luxury medium slots they can put what they want in, we have one before it becomes necessary to start stripping tank. Missile boats were not designed to operate in scram range, we don't have the tank and we certainly don't have the dps even with our lows filled with damage mod's. Telling us to fill our medium slots with scrams, webs and target painters to apply that dps shows how little some people understand missile tactics.
Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#2803 - 2013-12-08 02:04:06 UTC
Virtually everyone with any sense agrees missiles need damage application modules like turrets have. So it shouldn't be surprising that CCP doesn't seem to agree.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2804 - 2013-12-08 02:11:44 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:
Exactly the problem, turret pilots have 3-4 luxury medium slots they can put what they want in, we have one before it becomes necessary to start stripping tank. Missile boats were not designed to operate in scram range, we don't have the tank and we certainly don't have the dps even with our lows filled with damage mod's. Telling us to fill our medium slots with scrams, webs and target painters to apply that dps shows how little some people understand missile tactics.

It should also be pointed out that shield extender modules and rigs increase signature radius, while armor plating and rigs simply reduces AB and MWD speed. It makes it a lot harder for Caldari ships to mitigate damage (both missile and turret). One of the other suggestions I made was to have shield extenders penalize sensor strength as opposed to signature radius to balance things out a bit. Heck, what I'd really like is an armor-based Tengu with 6-7 low slots and armor bonuses and resistances.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2805 - 2013-12-08 02:33:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Nearly 2 weeks since the last response from a Dev (any dev)

Quote:
CCP Rise
and one post from someone actually using RLML who says they are enjoying them
1 post from someone enjoying them and the thousands of others who no longer use them don't count. Nice balancing. (NB; I think if you read on, the guy who stated he was enjoying them has modified / retracted this statement, to state they are a niche weapon with little to no solo application)

Quote:
discussion with CSM, conversation with players I know who are using them and using them myself on TQ.
Would it be possible to have some of the positive feedback from your friends passed on to us?? I would like to know how they are using them, I am unable as a solo player to find a role for them.

Quote:
As far as the long reload mechanic, the feedback is mixed in this thread and mostly positive elsewhere (CSM, internal development, external forums)
Again, how about some links. I'd really be interested to hear from CSM. Even a killboard link showing their success would be nice, 50 most recent solo kills on Zkill, 1 using rockets, 2 with light missiles, 2 using HML precisions, 1 using Hams with faction ammo. None using RHML or RLML.

Quote:
Several of the ships using these systems are kinetic bonused which means you don't switch that often.
Not sure which ships you are referring to here.
Caracal, no kinetic bonus
Cerberus, no kinetic bonus
Bellicose, no kinetic bonus
Navy Caracal, no kinetic bonus
Navy Osprey, NO bonus to light missiles,10% kinetic, 5% EM EXP Therm (and actually 1 of 2 to have a damage bonus)
Navy Sythe, no kinetic bonus (10% damage bonus)
Gila, no kinetic bonus

Quote:
that's why I'm instead going with the positive feedback coming from the CSM, from our testing and from some posters here.
Is feedback from a minority really the best way to balance??

I started this post with the idea of giving some positive feedback in the hope CCP Rise may take note. Problem is, there really is nothing in CCP Rise's responses to be positive about. All we have heard is there is a minority (unknown to the majority) who are content with the new launchers and that is who CCP Rise is listening to.

If nothing else can I get the SP invested in missiles refunded so I can put it into something useful to my play style. RLML no longer do this and with 1/4 of my skills in a weapon system I can no longer effectively use and no gunnery skills, I am at a loss on how to proceed, or if it is even worth proceeding.

NB; I do understand as a primarily solo player i don't count for much in the scheme of things. How many more like me are out there?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2806 - 2013-12-08 03:35:44 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
1 post from someone enjoying them and the thousands of others who no longer use them don't count. Nice balancing. (NB; I think if you read on, the guy who stated he was enjoying them has modified / retracted this statement, to state they are a niche weapon with little to no solo application)

Actually, that was me. I said they were "interesting", which shouldn't be taken as an glowing endorsement. I've since had 2 weeks to try and kill things with them, and the short version is you can - but it requires more luck than skill. In anything than a 1:1 against a lower-classed ship you're really outmatched.

Quote:
Would it be possible to have some of the positive feedback from your friends passed on to us?? I would like to know how they are using them, I am unable as a solo player to find a role for them.

I've asked for this as well. Still waiting...

Quote:
Again, how about some links. I'd really be interested to hear from CSM. Even a killboard link showing their success would be nice, 50 most recent solo kills on Zkill, 1 using rockets, 2 with light missiles, 2 using HML precisions, 1 using Hams with faction ammo. None using RHML or RLML.

You can obtain kills against inferior ships. You cannot win a pitched 1:1 battle against a comparable opponent.

Quote:
Navy Osprey, NO bonus to light missiles,10% kinetic, 5% EM EXP Therm (and actually 1 of 2 to have a damage bonus)
Gila, no kinetic bonus

Cerberus, 25% kinetic bonus
Drake, 50% kinetic bonus
Osprey Navy, 50% kinetic bonus
Tengu, 25% kinetic bonus

Quote:
NB; I do understand as a primarily solo player i don't count for much in the scheme of things. How many more like me are out there?

More than people realize.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2807 - 2013-12-08 04:05:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

I've asked for this as well. Still waiting...

Quote:
Gila, no kinetic bonus

Cerberus, 25% kinetic bonus
Drake, 50% kinetic bonus
Osprey Navy, 50% kinetic bonus
Tengu, 25% kinetic bonus

Quote:

More than people realize.
My bad I forgot the Caldari skill bonus on the Cerberus was restricted to Kinetic.
Osprey does have a bonus to kinetic missiles but no bonus to light launchers.
A Tengu with a 40 second reload just never entered my head as being viable.
As for the Drake, would anyone ever fit RLML to it? Again it was not a ship I thought of as being viable with RLML so did not include it. Also it has no bonus to lights and I didn't think 146DPS (including reload) 234DPS burst (excluding reload time) was the type of Battlecruiser people would opt for. (Nano Mwd fit)

I only included those ships with bonuses to light missiles and 1 (Navy Osprey) I thought should have a light missile bonus.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#2808 - 2013-12-08 04:32:15 UTC
Drake's bonus does not apply to light missiles so that one is moot.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2809 - 2013-12-08 04:37:28 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

The point was a lot more ships are still relegated to a kinetic bonus, regardless of weapon type. As for the Drake, heavy missiles are useless and it doesn't get any light missile bonuses - so it's effectively worthless outside of PvE.

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2810 - 2013-12-08 05:17:21 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

The point was a lot more ships are still relegated to a kinetic bonus, regardless of weapon type. As for the Drake, heavy missiles are useless and it doesn't get any light missile bonuses - so it's effectively worthless outside of PvE.

That would be sub level 4 PvE.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2811 - 2013-12-08 05:43:13 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Be fair to the poor Drake guys.. 15 or 20 Ham fit drakes can reinforce a poco in about an hour. As long as they are left alone.

You would not use drakes as there are far better options BUT they could do it Roll

My opinions are mine.

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2812 - 2013-12-08 06:54:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Onictus
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Be fair to the poor Drake guys.. 15 or 20 Ham fit drakes can reinforce a poco in about an hour. As long as they are left alone.

You would not use drakes as there are far better options BUT they could do it Roll

This was linked somewhere

700DPS HML drake http://i.imgur.com/h51BDBu.jpg

...try to ignore that the clone costs 7 times what the ship does....if you farm the LP.

its fine Roll

Actually to be fair a hamdrake gang with a hyena or three mixed in is pretty damn nasty I imagine.....but un-range bonused HAMs on a slow ship, ugh. Suffice it to say I'm not trying to figure out where my drakes are (I'm sure I have a few around)
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2813 - 2013-12-08 10:55:37 UTC
Tengu or Drake?

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2814 - 2013-12-08 12:42:38 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Tengu or Drake?
The description, Tengu Srategic Cruiser, sort of gives it away Big smile

My opinions are mine.

Zvaarian the Red
Evil Leprechaun Brigade
#2815 - 2013-12-08 12:42:53 UTC
673 DPS is what I get in EFT with HAMs and pure DPS lows and rigs (nothing above T2 and no drones). Good luck getting your target within their 16.9km range and keeping them there while also having any kind of tank, and good luck applying more than 25% of that DPS number under most circumstances (you will do 146 DPS to a stationary Rifter lol).
JetCord
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#2816 - 2013-12-08 13:37:52 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Hi!

As you guys know, we're introducing Rapid Heavy Missile Launchers in Rubicon for battleships that will echo the Rapid Light Launchers in design. Well, now that the current design has been out and available for discussion for awhile, we've taken on a lot of feedback and we don't feel completely satisfied with them.

The problem we're facing is that it's very hard to create a good balance between rapid launchers and their on-size counterparts(torpedo launchers, cruise launchers, heavy missile launchers and heavy assault missile launchers). Currently I feel we have the numbers high enough that they are almost always the right choice, but if we tune them down at all they will almost never be the right choice. We would much rather that the decision to use rapid launchers depended heavily on context and that you would choose them not because they were generally better than their competition but because your specific situation called for them.

Here's the plan to improve the situation:

Rapid Launchers (both Light and Heavy) will be changed to have a much higher damage per second number, roughly on par with Heavy Assault Launchers and Torpedo Launchers respectively, but their ammo capacity will be reduced and their reload time will be increased increased (think Ancilliary Shield Boosters). Some specifics:

Rapid Light Missile Launcher rate of fire set to:
Rapid Light Missile Launcher I ------------------------- 7.8s
Rapid Light Missile Launcher II ------------------------- 6.24s
Prototype 'Arbalest' Rapid Light Missile Launcher --- 6.24s
Other meta types not shown

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher rate of fire set to:
Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher I ------------------------ 6.48s
Rapid Heavy Missile launcher II ------------------------- 5.185s
'Arbalest' Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher I ------------ 5.185s
Other meta types not shown

Reload time for both groups set to 40 seconds.

T2 Rapid Light Launchers can carry roughly 18 charges
T2 Rapid Heavy Launchers can carry roughly 23 charges

This translates to a Raven with 3x BCU, T2 Rapid Heavy Launchers and Scourge Fury missiles doing 926 dps
This translates to a Caracal with 3x BCU, T2 Rapid Light Launchers and Scourge Fury missiles doing 409 dps

Both ships would have around 50 seconds of up time followed by 40 seconds of reload meaning that over extended engagements their true dps would be a bit more than half of the dps number above.

This would provide new strategic gameplay for Rapid Missile users as well as their opponents. It would make these systems stronger against ships that can be killed inside the active window(smaller ships) but worse over longer fights, which would usually mean fights against ships in the same class or larger. It would generally be more interesting but would also leave more space for the main missile systems to thrive as well.

Let me know what you think and keep in mind that numbers may be adjusted slightly as we continue to test.
Thanks

i just saw the bonus on raven/typhoon - its affect the RHML but its variant the raven navy issue/ raven state issue/ golem dont have and so is the rattlesnake

and typhoon fleet issue - has bonus to heavy missile! not RHML . Is this a typo ?
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2817 - 2013-12-08 13:55:30 UTC
JetCord wrote:

and typhoon fleet issue - has bonus to heavy missile! not RHML . Is this a typo ?

7.5% bonus to heavy missile damage, meaning you can use both launchers - heavy and rapid heavy.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#2818 - 2013-12-08 14:22:48 UTC
Zvaarian the Red wrote:
673 DPS is what I get in EFT with HAMs and pure DPS lows and rigs (nothing above T2 and no drones). Good luck getting your target within their 16.9km range and keeping them there while also having any kind of tank, and good luck applying more than 25% of that DPS number under most circumstances (you will do 146 DPS to a stationary Rifter lol).

Sounds like you're revisiting the 2008 HAM Drake discussion, with about the same degree of skill.

Full-tackle HAM Drake has 76k EHP before overload. It does 298 DPS to your stationary Rifter and 165 DPS if it uses an overloaded AB (duh drones). The range comment is inane. Yes, you're not going to tackle an interceptor, but plenty of stuff is slow enough to get tackled, particularly if it's using an AB, and most of those turret ships will want to get close to apply their DPS anyway.
Marcus Walkuris
Aww yeahhh
#2819 - 2013-12-08 15:33:25 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
Zvaarian the Red wrote:

Sounds like you're revisiting the 2008 HAM Drake discussion, with about the same degree of skill.

Full-tackle HAM Drake has 76k EHP before overload. It does 298 DPS to your stationary Rifter and 165 DPS if it uses an overloaded AB (duh drones). The range comment is inane. Yes, you're not going to tackle an interceptor, but plenty of stuff is slow enough to get tackled, particularly if it's using an AB, and most of those turret ships will want to get close to apply their DPS anyway.

I think you just said the applied dps is higher with drones when he specifically said without drones. No?
Marcus Walkuris
Aww yeahhh
#2820 - 2013-12-08 15:41:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Walkuris
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
What players don't seem to realize is that you get more armor resistances and passive tank through armor setups than you do with shield setups, often requiring more slots for comparably less tank. So it's easy to say "dual-web" except more often than not you've only got one slot to point or web - let alone dual webs and a point. And then there's the whole damage application aspect, which sees armor setups using their rigs and slave implants to improve tank while shield ships are relegated to running rigors and flares because they don't even have a spare slot for a target painter.

A passive low-slot Ballistic Enhancer that offered 20% explosion velocity, 10% explosion radius and 10% missile velocity (or some combination thereof) would probably balance things out nicely - maybe even offsetting the original heavy missile and Drake nerfs. It's not like missile-based hulls have a wealth of low slots to really make this offensive, and stacking penalties would be in effect just as they are for Tracking Enhancers. I could see many Caldari ships running a Ballistic Enhancer in place of a third or fourth Ballistic Control instead - so it's not like this won't come with a tradeoff, either.

The main issue is that instead of slowly making improvements to missiles it's been a steady series of nerfs while continuing to ignore the fundamental problems. As I've previously stated, it's not hard to fix missiles: you just need to have the actual desire to do so.

Yes, I've wanted to bring this up too. Furthermore I've said it but it really needs stressed. The range bonuses they are excessive to the point of useless. Missiles more then anything are stuck with VERY fossilized versions of weapon bonus types. This sniping far outside scramber range actually used to be a thing at some point I believe, and I could be wrong on that. But having a possibly meaningless bonus is always worse then having one that never sucks. Having a range bonus on sniper focussed ships needs to just stop, yes I'm talking about the entire caldari line up. Here and there it might be right depending on the hull, but just default=range bonus is ridiculous on the ranged weapon-systems. Other faction ships can have sensible range bonuses where appropriate.

Edit: I would love meaningful ranged weapons don't get me wrong but as long as range=blob there is no room for it.