These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Non compliant drones?

Author
Oil Can Boyd
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-12-07 01:42:49 UTC
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with drones not following these setting:

Aggressive - Mine stay idle around me even when I'm being targeted and attacked. I have to manually tell them to ''Engage Target''.

Focusing fire - Mine split and go after multiple targets and usually a target I don't even have locked.

Attack and Follow - I'm assuming this command tells the drones to go after whatever target I have locked and shooting? Yeah this don't work either....

Any help or insight as to what I might be doing wrong would be great. =)

Thanks.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-12-07 01:44:05 UTC
These issues have been around since long before I started playing...

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#3 - 2013-12-07 01:50:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
The drone AI is modeled on the synaptic patterns present in the brain of the average housecat.

It has 3 modes

• Kill stuff
  • Ignore all commands, even when in structure
  • Randomly kill stuff

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-12-07 01:51:43 UTC
You're not doing anything wrong.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#5 - 2013-12-07 03:24:04 UTC
Oil Can Boyd wrote:
Attack and Follow - I'm assuming this command tells the drones to go after whatever target I have locked and shooting? Yeah this don't work either...

This is for fighters and fighterbombers that can warp after targets who warp away i think

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Korsiri
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-12-07 03:40:44 UTC
I've had that happen a lot too.

one thing I have noticed that may help is if you have your drones out before something attacks you, they seem to respond better. If I pull them out after something's already engaged me, they just seem to sit there (like cats, yes, excellent comparison, that).
Vyktor Abyss
Abyss Research
#7 - 2013-12-07 03:47:44 UTC
Was in a 1v2 fight with my sentinal yesterday and had one target fully neuted and pointed with drones pounding him... drones pounding him into structure, so i switch neuts to next target. All of a sudden i notice the dps stops on the frig in hull and my drones have decided by themselves to go after the other target.

I had to manually put them back on the fiirst frig.

Also noted that it doen't seem to automatically send my drones to attack when i neut or Td first target after launching them with them on agressive attack and follow. Rather annoying when they are 100% of your dps.

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#8 - 2013-12-07 05:31:52 UTC
Oil Can Boyd wrote:
Aggressive - Mine stay idle around me even when I'm being targeted and attacked. I have to manually tell them to ''Engage Target''.

1. They have to be out in space and set to aggressive before the attack started / you are targeted.
2. If both conditions are met and it still happens, a relog usually fixes this for me

Oil Can Boyd wrote:

Focusing fire - Mine split and go after multiple targets and usually a target I don't even have locked.

They are simple things. After some time in space, they tend to get confused somewhat when left alone (set to aggressive). Call them back to the drone bay every now and then, reinstall some brains and relaunch.

Oil Can Boyd wrote:

Attack and Follow - I'm assuming this command tells the drones to go after whatever target I have locked and shooting? Yeah this don't work either....

As already mentioned by Alavaria: Fighters and fighter bombers only.

Remove standings and insurance.

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-12-07 07:53:15 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
The drone AI is modeled on the synaptic patterns present in the brain of the average housecat.

It has 3 modes

• Kill stuff
  • Randomly kill stuff

I own 3 Maine Coon cats, IRL.
I also fly several types of droneboat hulls, in EVE.

Confirming on two counts of first-hand experience, that this man has the right of it, completely.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Kate stark
#10 - 2013-12-07 08:00:47 UTC
i've noticed the "focus fire" thing failing miserably lately.

3 drones on 1 thing, 2 drones on another. infuriating.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#11 - 2013-12-07 10:20:14 UTC
Drones are one of these things that CCP constantly breaks just when they're about to get it right. Drones have gone from "almost working perfectly" to "completely bugged" so many times since I started playing (2005) it's not funny. You'd think that after all these years they'd have some notion of what their voodoo code actually does.
Bobby Frutt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-12-07 11:03:09 UTC
I had petitioned about this at a point.

CCP responded that drones are not supposed to automatically aggro anyone that attacks you. The GM claimed there is a chance they will in fact not do so. The claim was this was intentional as a means of making sure drones aren't a guaranteed way to AFK while doing certain activities.

In terms of focus fire I do see it bug out sometimes, but most times it's pretty good with it.

In terms of attacking my enemy, it does so for the first attack. I agree it will then basically pick randomly after that.
Bloody Slave
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-12-07 11:36:46 UTC
Haha, I love drones but you guys are overlooking something: they are not pets anymore.Lol

After the changes on drones AI they became more an expensive ammo, in fact, some FoF missiles are smarter than our beloved little things.Ugh

Anyways, I still fly lots of gallente stuff, not sure why though.Roll

If your balls are hurt and bleeding don't sit in a pool full of piranhas (note to myself: don't complain in GD)

Skurja Volpar
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#14 - 2013-12-07 11:48:57 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

It has 3 modes

• Kill stuff
  • Randomly kill stuff

I own 3 Maine Coon cats, IRL.
I also fly several types of droneboat hulls, in EVE.

Confirming on two counts of first-hand experience, that this man has the right of it, completely.

Tbh you shouldn't be letting your cats get into structure.
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2013-12-07 11:52:25 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

It has 3 modes

• Kill stuff
  • Randomly kill stuff

The other evening one of my cats brought a live rat into the house and released it near me while i was trying to PVP. The rat then went and hid. during a warp i collected all 4 of my cats and locked them in the room and told them they couldn't go back to the fire until the rat was dead or outside. 2 of my cats as it turns out are scared of rats and refused to get off the table. The other 2 spent the next 18 hours chasing it from one hiding place to another and then camping it.
I eventually solved the situation by locking all the cats in another part of the house and leaving all the doors open between rat and outside.
I hadn't previously realised how well CCP had modeled the cat brain until you drew our attention to it.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Jamagh
Grand Violations
#16 - 2013-12-07 14:07:25 UTC
Silvetica Dian wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

It has 3 modes

• Kill stuff
  • Randomly kill stuff

The other evening one of my cats brought a live rat into the house and released it near me while i was trying to PVP. The rat then went and hid. during a warp i collected all 4 of my cats and locked them in the room and told them they couldn't go back to the fire until the rat was dead or outside. 2 of my cats as it turns out are scared of rats and refused to get off the table. The other 2 spent the next 18 hours chasing it from one hiding place to another and then camping it.
I eventually solved the situation by locking all the cats in another part of the house and leaving all the doors open between rat and outside.
I hadn't previously realised how well CCP had modeled the cat brain until you drew our attention to it.

Sounds like your cats are eve players. Two hiding from the war targets, the other two chasing and camping. The rat was smart, hide until the war ended, then go back to doing whatever it was before.

"Please stop reopening silly rumor threads."  CCP Navigator.

Noddy Comet
Lysdexic Agnostics - Thier is no Dog
#17 - 2013-12-07 15:28:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Noddy Comet
Don;'t forget salvage drones, no matter what you do they will never select a single target each, they will always focus salvage together on one target thus wasting 4/5ths of your salvage time since, much like the Highlander, "there can be only one" drone that actually will get the salvaged materials.

(edit: other than sitting there playing single clickie games with each drone on each and every single targeted wreck which totally negates the entire system of launching them and hitting "salvage" once without having to target and cycle through everything while you do other things)

[i]"The biggest problem with quotes on the Internet, is that just because it's on the Internet too many believe them to be real" -[/i]Abraham Lincoln's "Berlin Wall" speech at the 1984 Winter Olympics.

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-12-07 15:35:09 UTC
They're just going through a rebellious teenage phase. Don't worry about it.

Dodixie > Hek

Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#19 - 2013-12-07 16:04:46 UTC
I am a certified drone whisperer, I can cure your out of control drones.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#20 - 2013-12-07 18:06:16 UTC
Jamagh wrote:

Sounds like your cats are eve players.

Not really because numbers make people brave in this game, and you'd think that the 4 cats would be more than happy to gank the poor lonely rat at the first opportunity. 2 of his cats must secretly be care-bears. Buy them a retriver and tit them in a belt when you're afk.
12Next page