These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Consolidated first week questions and answers

Author
Lady Areola Fappington
#1 - 2013-12-04 01:42:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Areola Fappington
So, something I've noticed around EVE, the same questions get asked all the time. I'm throwing together a quick Q&A cheatlist that consolidates the most common first week questions for easy reference.

My camera is constantly swinging around to face at targets, how do I stop it?
Press "C"

All the asteroids are mined out in my system, how do I finish the tutorial?
Take a few jumps outside of the system you're in, and look for asteroid belts. You jump via "stargates". Unlike most MMOGs, EVE really doesn't constrain you to a "newbie" area until you level up. From day one, you can travel anywhere in the universe. The starting areas get mined out very quickly, so you'll have to venture out some to find the ore you need.

I think I just got scammed. Is that legal in EVE? Can I get my ISK back?
CCP, the developers of EVE, allow all forms of scams, confidence tricks, con-games, and skullduggery. If someone has talked you out of your hard-earned ISK, it's unlikely you will get it back. While this may seem unfair, just remember, you too have the same freedom.

How many skillpoints do I need to PVP?
Just about the number of skillpoints you entered the game with. ANYONE can PVP, and the best way to learn is to get blown up. Don't rage, but look at what happened, and devise ways to counter it. There are myriad hints, tips, tricks, and guides out there to lend a hand. Anyone who says you need X million SP to PVP is dead wrong. The best time to get into PVP is as a newbie. Things are cheap, and easy to replace.

How do I make ISK?
Find something you like doing, and do it! One of the worst things you can do in EVE, it let it become a job. So, with that in mind, sit back and think of something you'd like to do. Sure, there are ways to make ISK that are more and less efficient than others...but the only thing that really matters is how much fun you're having. Let fun per hour be your guide to start.

OMG somebody placed a bounty on me! What do I do?
Wear it with pride. A bounty does not change any of the aggression mechanics inherent in operating in highsec. All it does is add a "Wanted" to your portrait, and pay out a percentage should you be destroyed by another person. Honestly, not a big deal.

How can a newbie compete against vets with millions of skillpoints?
Skillpoints are almost the worst way to determine how "good" a character is, for two reasons. One, skills in EVE have a cap. Level 5 is level 5 in a skill, it gives the same bonus no matter how old the character is. Two, not all skills will apply to every fight every time. A 6 month old character with 6million SP dedicated to combat skills will wipe the floor with a 70million SP toon who has all those skills in industry. You "catch up" with vets by specializing. Pick a ship hull, and train all the skills needed to fly it (including support skills) to the max. At that point, you are just as good in that hull as a 10 year vet, if not likely better.

I've covered everything I can think of, right off the top of my head. Anyone else got any week one FAQ type entries, toss them in.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
NullSechnaya Sholupen
#2 - 2013-12-04 03:04:33 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Here's another question I hear often.

I want to join a good corporation but they all have "skillpoint requirements." What can I do?

Corporations that have "skillpoint requirements" are a using a semi-false metric. The belief is that once you have XX amount of skillpoints you are old enough to have decent "experience" in EVE... such that you do not need to be taught the bare basics... that you can operate without having to be told what to do or where.

What you can do to counter this is to...
- Learn what the basic terminology is...
- Learn how to fiddle with your overview...
- Know what ships are generally good and bad at...
- And, most importantly, SHOW THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO LEARN MORE.

Most corps will be flexible about their "restrictions" if you directly talk with someone in it and show that you are enthusiastic and intelligent. Those that aren't... they are bad corps and you don't want to join them anyways.

tldr; the SP restrictions are there to preemptively weed out the "general rabble" from applying. Don't be one of the "general rabble." Show that you CAN be part of their "cool kids club."
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#3 - 2013-12-04 05:34:40 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Here's another question I hear often.

I want to join a good corporation but they all have "skillpoint requirements." What can I do?

Corporations that have "skillpoint requirements" are a using a semi-false metric. The belief is that once you have XX amount of skillpoints you are old enough to have decent "experience" in EVE... such that you do not need to be taught the bare basics... that you can operate without having to be told what to do or where.

What you can do to counter this is to...
- Learn what the basic terminology is...
- Learn how to fiddle with your overview...
- Know what ships are generally good and bad at...
- And, most importantly, SHOW THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO LEARN MORE.

Most corps will be flexible about their "restrictions" if you directly talk with someone in it and show that you are enthusiastic and intelligent. Those that aren't... they are bad corps and you don't want to join them anyways.

tldr; the SP restrictions are there to preemptively weed out the "general rabble" from applying. Don't be one of the "general rabble." Show that you CAN be part of their "cool kids club."

The other reason corps have SP requirements, and one reason I consider quite valid, is as a way to make corporate infiltration attempts more difficult.

In EVE, you are always allowed to shoot your corpmates (even in high security space) and there are a series of other ways that joining a corporation can help you sabotage that corp (example: you could sell information to local miner gankers about your corp's mining operations or missioning habits). As such, a 5m SP requirement, backed up with a solid check of a character's background, is an effective way to deter all but the most determined infiltrators.

Even if your corp doesn't have enemies, there are people that will infiltrate your corp for fun and profit (ransoms, theft, etc).

Better corporations that understand operational security will have a 'holding corp' - a corporation new members are put into that shares chat channels with the main corp, but doesn't grant membership to the actual corp. Prospective recruits will then spend an amount of time in the holding corp that the main corp deems reasonable, before being offered membership in the main corp. This is a much better way of handling opsec than having an SP minimum, which is just a lazy way to handle things.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#4 - 2013-12-04 06:09:24 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:

I think I just got scammed. Is that legal in EVE? Can I get my ISK back?
CCP, the developers of EVE, allow all forms of scams, confidence tricks, con-games, and skullduggery. If someone has talked you out of your hard-earned ISK, it's unlikely you will get it back. While this may seem unfair, just remember, you too have the same freedom.

I just want to clarify. It is legal as long as done within existing game mechanics. If someone uses a website or some out-of-game means to scam you, such as hacking your username and password, that is not accepted by CCP.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-12-04 06:11:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Iria Ahrens wrote:
I just want to clarify. It is legal as long as done within existing game mechanics. If someone uses a website or some out-of-game means to scam you, such as hacking your username and password, that is not accepted by CCP.

Not true. You can use any kind of out-of-game tools (websites, forums, voice chat...) to scam for in-game assets. However you can't attempt to scam for login details at all, whether in or out of game.

Here's an easy test of what's okay: Were you, at any point, able to stop the scam from happening?
Could you have not given the recruiter their security deposit?
Could you have not bought the item that you could resell for 1000% profit?
Could you have not accepted the courier contract?
Could you have not joined that guy's corporation?
etc.

If there is anything you could have done to prevent whatever happened to you, the actions are in highest likelihood allowed. It's your fault for falling for it - whether you knew about the scam or not.

Don't petition "scammers" and absolutely never ask CCP for your items or money back. You will guaranteed never get it back, and you are only harming everybody else by clogging up the GM petition queues with your pointless ranting. If you didn't know that scamming other people in EVE was allowed by now, now you know. If this is something you are not okay with, quit now.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#6 - 2013-12-04 23:21:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Sabriz Adoudel
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:

Not true. You can use any kind of out-of-game tools (websites, forums, voice chat...) to scam for in-game assets. However you can't attempt to scam for login details at all, whether in or out of game.

Here's an easy test of what's okay: Were you, at any point, able to stop the scam from happening?
Could you have not given the recruiter their security deposit?
Could you have not bought the item that you could resell for 1000% profit?
Could you have not accepted the courier contract?
Could you have not joined that guy's corporation?
etc.

If there is anything you could have done to prevent whatever happened to you, the actions are in highest likelihood allowed. It's your fault for falling for it - whether you knew about the scam or not.

Don't petition "scammers" and absolutely never ask CCP for your items or money back. You will guaranteed never get it back, and you are only harming everybody else by clogging up the GM petition queues with your pointless ranting. If you didn't know that scamming other people in EVE was allowed by now, now you know. If this is something you are not okay with, quit now.

There's also a couple of other hard rules.

- You can't do scams that involve encouraging a person to buy PLEX (ie you can't socially engineer someone into ordering a 13 pack of PLEX from CCP). Presumably CCP introduced this rule after being on the end of one too many fraudulent chargebacks from people that had been scammed. Someone can buy PLEX and you can steal it from them, however the idea to buy the PLEX has to come from them.
- You can't do ANY scams around character transfers.
- You can't do ANY scams around the current charity drive.
- Various Alliance Tournament scams are not allowed by the AT rules, such as AWOXing.
- Scams that involve RL threats of any type are not allowed. E.g. "Give me ten PLEX, or I send your RL girlfriend photos I downloaded from your email after I hacked it". Obviously things like that usually break a good number of RL laws too.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Keno Skir
#7 - 2013-12-06 13:50:58 UTC
SP requirements have a valid reason. Almost to the point that if your new corp doesn't require anything of you it's time to worry.

Having 20Million SP shows that you have been subscribed for plenty of months, not just a trial from last year you just resubbed and are blagging off as a year old. 20Million SP also means you will most likely have all your core skills to reasonable level, meaning it's just a case of getting you into doctrine hulls.

An SP requirement means you won't be spending ALL of your time answering questions that could easily be googled.

Some corps want to expand quickly, they have no requirements other than you join up. I'd be more wary of these corps since they likely offer you very little in return.

Others want to recruit only those who will contribute properly right off the bat. These are the one's with SP requirements, and also the ones who will wipe the floor with any similarly sized "No SP Reqs" corp.
Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#8 - 2013-12-06 14:04:31 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
SP requirements have a valid reason. Almost to the point that if your new corp doesn't require anything of you it's time to worry.

Having 20Million SP shows that you have been subscribed for plenty of months, not just a trial from last year you just resubbed and are blagging off as a year old. 20Million SP also means you will most likely have all your core skills to reasonable level, meaning it's just a case of getting you into doctrine hulls.

An SP requirement means you won't be spending ALL of your time answering questions that could easily be googled.

Some corps want to expand quickly, they have no requirements other than you join up. I'd be more wary of these corps since they likely offer you very little in return.

Others want to recruit only those who will contribute properly right off the bat. These are the one's with SP requirements, and also the ones who will wipe the floor with any similarly sized "No SP Reqs" corp.

I totally disagree with this.

SP requirements are bunk no matter what, high SP toons that are purchased are simply chainsaws in the hands of children. Just because you can sit in the seat of that fancy battleship and use all the flashy parts doesn't mean you know how to fit it for specific purposes.

SP requirements for doctrine hulls is a very bad way of judging what they are capable of. Those making the doctrines are on the leading edge of the fleet activity and the rest of the players flying them are always behind it. My time in SOV seemed to me that the vast majority of players were spending their time chasing doctrine fittings but rarely capable of fitting it T2 initially.

Not all corps without SP requirements are bad corps, there are quite a few of them that are filled with bored bitter vets that can actually be a great spot for a new player to start at due to a high level of 1 on 1 time they can use to cut the learning curve of the game.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
NullSechnaya Sholupen
#9 - 2013-12-06 21:05:40 UTC
Jesus... did no one actually read what i wrote? I said "semi-false metric" which implies that it is somewhere between both necessary and useless (and briefly explained both sides)

Also... Sabriz... there is no need to go into every concievable detail about general gameplay (though, I too sometimes sperg out). This is a newbie forum... broad examples and rules of thumb are better for "easy digestion." Answer in detail when someone asks for specificity.