These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Skill Queue change request

First post
Author
Josef Djugashvilis
#21 - 2013-12-03 21:32:39 UTC
Pandora Barzane wrote:
confirming that baltec never reads the message he's replying to.

Made me smile.

This is not a signature.

Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#22 - 2013-12-03 22:30:30 UTC
"Just train something else until..."

That may be the solution to his present predicament, but his request isn't that unreasonable.
/supported.

Who put the goat in there?

Akkar Kardashev
The Last Days of Rome
#23 - 2013-12-03 23:07:42 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
Mining is boring - we've established this. There is absolutely no need to constantly reiterate this fact. Mining is boring, that's why i have a "mining alt" and not a "mining main".

{{Redacted flaming. -- ISD LackOfFaith}}

ty :)

[b]This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for fighting. This is for fun.[/b]

Ambassador Spock
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-12-03 23:19:39 UTC
Jove Death wrote:
PS I hope you have a permit for that barge when its ready.

Aww, I respected you until that comment...

On a side note, I too would love this feature. Though not for Mining Barge, because mining?

--  - Ambassador Spock

"Vulcans never bluff."

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#25 - 2013-12-03 23:36:39 UTC
OP, the problem is books: you must have a book injected to train it.

Otherwise CCP has to allow placing books in the queue. That leads to an even more complex problem of removing books from the queue: example, what if you are in a pod. Also book smuggling.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2013-12-04 02:53:08 UTC
I would not be opposed to allowing skills to AT LEAST be injected (just not trained) if there prerequisites arent trained yet.

however i would be iffy on the queueing skills with their prereqs, not that im against it, just that the "slippery slope" crowd will look for any excuse to start complaining.
Chic Botany
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-12-04 05:57:47 UTC
Learn to EVEMon

Honestly it's not difficult to plan a skill queue when you know what you want to do.

Here's a hint, always put in the skills you NEED to train at the front of the queue to meet any pre-requisites of skills further down the queue. ie you want to train Mining Barge, the first skills you train are the ones like Industry, Science, Mining, Mining Frigate, then you can move on to Astrogeology and Mining Barge - that way the pre-requisites are already trained before it's an issue.

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-12-04 08:12:14 UTC
Chic Botany wrote:
Learn to EVEMon

Honestly it's not difficult to plan a skill queue when you know what you want to do.

Here's a hint, always put in the skills you NEED to train at the front of the queue to meet any pre-requisites of skills further down the queue. ie you want to train Mining Barge, the first skills you train are the ones like Industry, Science, Mining, Mining Frigate, then you can move on to Astrogeology and Mining Barge - that way the pre-requisites are already trained before it's an issue.

I need Drones V to train Drone Interfacing.
I need Drone Interfacing V to train Fighters.
I need Fighters V to train Fighter Bombers.

I don't need any other drone skills and am on a Willpower/Perception remap as Drone Interfacing V, Fighters V and Fighter Bombers V take a while to train.

Fighters V will finish training in 12:20h, a time when I know I will not be at home to inject the Fighter Bombers skillbook,

Teach me how to EFT.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#29 - 2013-12-04 08:48:50 UTC
Let me start by mentioning how amused I am by the amount of moronic spew in this thread. Actually most threads. Must be the season of anger or something.

As to the OP. It is a good idea in theory and would certainly make the game easier for the players. The problem is that it would be a nightmare to code for the relatively small benefit it would provide.

But really, just go to sleep and let the skill run out. Then inject the one you want when you wake up. A few hours of an inactive queue is not worth having an episode over. There are a lot more important things to get wound up about than getting palpitations because your skill training is paused for a few hours.

Mr Epeen Cool
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#30 - 2013-12-04 09:27:35 UTC
One simple option would be to have the training of level 1 of the skill in the queue, then the skill queue manager can (just!) fish around in the character's inventory to look for the appropriate skill book somewhere within the character's current reach (ship's hold, current station's item hangar would be the two obvious places).

of course I'm sure any CCP Dev reading this would see "fish around in the character's inventory" and have a chuckle to themselves, "like it's that simple."
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-12-04 10:07:27 UTC
Really, I see no reason why this couldn't be done.

In Evemon, if you drop a skill you haven't got the prerequisites to into the list, it pops up an information box telling you it is also adding in those prerequisites. Likewise, if you remove a skill that is a prerequisite to another in the list, it pops up an information box saying its also removing the skills that require that skill. Can't imagine that adding this feature would be too hard.

The obvious barrier is the book system as has been mentioned before. But personally, I don't see a problem with allowing the injection of books that you can't train - it should definitely pop up a warning box informing you that you can't train this skill yet, giving you a chance to change your mind, and the skill could then appear red in the skill list, as a reminder. But in principle, being forced to leave books lying around til you've trained the skill doesn't add much to the game (it would likely reduce the amount of skillbooks being carried in cargo, and therefore ganked, but I doubt many people buy skills too far ahead of time, and if they do, they probably keep them where they buy them).
Deunan Tenephais
#32 - 2013-12-04 11:32:06 UTC
As far as I understand things the OP want requirements to change from being the basis for injection to being the basis for training start.
In absolute I'd say why not ?
Seeing as a level 0 skill has not yet been learned at all, it would make sense that a skill can be pre-injected and pre-put into the skill queue, with an error message and lost training time if the requirements are not met.

But there would be other consequences, in a domino effect, in Eve there always is.
Aivo Dresden
State War Academy
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-12-04 11:40:08 UTC
To be honest, I've run in to this myself as well. Can't inject and queue a skill because the prerequisite is the skill that's about to finish. It used to bother me, now I realize it's just a game, and missing out on 4 hours of training time isn't the end of the world. Back in the day, we didn't have a training queue at all. You had to physically change it every single time. Consider yourself lucky. :)

In all seriousness. What you did is what most people would do. Just queue something from the same attribute mapping, that's further down your skill plan. You can always inject the skill when you get up.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#34 - 2013-12-04 11:42:42 UTC
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
As far as I understand things the OP want requirements to change from being the basis for injection to being the basis for training start.
In absolute I'd say why not ?
Seeing as a level 0 skill has not yet been learned at all, it would make sense that a skill can be pre-injected and pre-put into the skill queue, with an error message and lost training time if the requirements are not met.

But there would be other consequences, in a domino effect, in Eve there always is.

The issue is that having changed the skills there are people who are flying ships which do not have the requirements trained up, such as Command ship which require all the command skills to V. So the management of this would have to bear that in mind, will get messy...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Xavier Quo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2013-12-04 11:51:27 UTC
great idea!

also I would like the option to star or highlight skills on my list that I need to train, preferably with some kind of numbering. Not talking about adding to queue beyond 24hr, just something to help me remember what I said to myself I should queue last time I logged in
Deunan Tenephais
#36 - 2013-12-04 12:01:58 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
The issue is that having changed the skills there are people who are flying ships which do not have the requirements trained up, such as Command ship which require all the command skills to V. So the management of this would have to bear that in mind, will get messy...

What do you mean ?
As far as I remember all kind of gear that need a skill to use need at least the first level in this skill, having a skill injected and at the zero level does not allow someone to use the item, one need to train at least the very first level to use the thing.
And in the OP idea the requirements are still there, but for training and not for injecting.
Cela Kashuken
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#37 - 2013-12-04 12:06:34 UTC
Xavier Quo wrote:
great idea!

also I would like the option to star or highlight skills on my list that I need to train, preferably with some kind of numbering. Not talking about adding to queue beyond 24hr, just something to help me remember what I said to myself I should queue last time I logged in

/signed to this and OP's suggestion.

A built in planner in general would be amazing instead of relying on external tools.
Cebraio
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#38 - 2013-12-04 12:45:38 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
Chic Botany wrote:
Learn to EVEMon

I need Drones V to train Drone Interfacing.
I need Drone Interfacing V to train Fighters.
I need Fighters V to train Fighter Bombers.

I don't need any other drone skills and am on a Willpower/Perception remap as Drone Interfacing V, Fighters V and Fighter Bombers V take a while to train.

Fighters V will finish training in 12:20h, a time when I know I will not be at home to inject the Fighter Bombers skillbook,

Teach me how to EFT.

Sure thing: You should have left carrier V for the in-betweens. Or cloaking, or JDC V or whatever. Any of those you can train partially whenever you can't squeeze in the next skill. Then replace them when you are online again.

I have been in similar situations and was mildly annoyed that I couldn't put in a skill that I'm missing the prerequisites for, but let's be honest: There is always something useful that you haven't trained yet.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#39 - 2013-12-04 12:58:24 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
The obvious barrier is the book system as has been mentioned before. But personally, I don't see a problem with allowing the injection of books that you can't train
Because we just got through the awesome change where the prerequisite test was performed on injection rather than training. This is what allowed them to do the whole tiercide and skill rebalance without screwing up what people could and could not train or fly.

The current rule is simple: if you have it injected, you can train it. It no longer matters what your other skills look like or if you've been mass-ganked back to 900k SP or if the DB forgot all numbers larger than 10 — injected = trainable; checking for prereqs is a one-time thing and you've passed that test, it's done for good. If you want to be allowed to inject skills without being able to train them, they have to uproot that whole system and create something that is probably a lot less robust and elegant in its design.

…all that to solve the “problem” of people not wanting to pad their queue with a different skill while they wait for a prereq to finish. I prefer the cleanness and security of the current system over that insignificant convenience, tbh.

Quote:
it would likely reduce the amount of skillbooks being carried in cargo, and therefore ganked, but I doubt many people buy skills too far ahead of time, and if they do, they probably keep them where they buy them
Skill books are being carted around all the time, and reducing the reasons and opportunities to lose them is a bad thing.
To Be Me
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-12-04 13:02:56 UTC
It doesnt make sense

You brains hardwiring configuration doesnt allow you to inject any skill which you do not meet the previous requirements

So this would be something non sensical to have. Doesnt fit into the lore.

thumbs up if you like :))))

Previous page123Next page