These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Introduction, and Noob Quality Assurance.

First post
Author
Lady Go Diveher
Doomheim
#21 - 2011-09-09 22:13:33 UTC
Gregor Palter wrote:
Lady Go Diveher wrote:
A 'baddon will do 25% more DPS with a 37.5% range penalty. It absolutely needs to swap crystals to equal the range .. at which point the DPS is comparable.

An apoc can also run it's guns cap stable with no cap mods. An abaddon needs cap mods just to keep the guns firing with perfect skills.

The abaddon's resist bonus is effectively a "free" T2 EANM .. so talk about that. Telling people it does "50% more damage at similar ranges" is a flat out lie, or the end result of EFT warmongering a fit and not looking at the "optimal" column.

EDIT: In fact, just **** off until you show me a Raven mission fit that can do 700+ DPS.

Stuff

Dude? C'mon. You've gotta do better. You get significantly more DPS and can shirk the EANM for the same tank at LEVEL V of the battleship skill. You still need to work in at least one extra cap mod which the Apoc can use to increase applied damage. And the range difference is significant enough to marginalise the difference between the base DPS figures considerably. When you take T2 guns out of the equation, the apoc's bonus is EVEN MORE useful than a bit of extra short range DPS or tank. Of all the mission rats, Sansha / blood raider are the ones who try to maintain the furthest range.

In actual useage, without "all v" in skills (remember this is the new citizens forum) the Apoc is a very effective mission running ship. It is not "absolutely crap at missions" - especially when you are talking minor differences between it and the Abaddon... one of the stand-out best ships in the game.

Plus, a raven tops out at 450dps-and-change before you start to bling the fit, wheras the Apoc will do 520@71km and the Abaddon will do 730@52 ... both more than sufficient range. So again, show me the Raven that is better.
Gregor Palter
#22 - 2011-09-10 01:23:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregor Palter
GRRR forum ate my post, preview deleted everything :(

Quote:
You still need to work in at least one extra cap mod which the Apoc

You don't, only if you use the "must perma tank" nonsense. All you need is 3 cap related rigs and a cap booster. Being able to perma run is fine for people who aren't used to lvl 4s or BS but it should not be the starting point of a discussion, it's a crutch and only "defendable" for people who AFK a lot or are really new to the situation.

Quote:
When you take T2 guns out of the equation

If we would do that then you have a point, but it's not stated anywhere that we should, so we won't. That would be the same as saying that the Apoc won't really work if your cap skills are all at lvl 3; technically correct but not part of the discussion. I will agree that this is the newbie section but then you could argue that newbies won't need BS info anyway. Actually, without having tested this, it might even be that if you forget about perma tanking the abaddon will still out outperform the Apoc on lower skills but not sure on that one, might have a good look at EFT in this regard.

Quote:
In actual useage, without "all v" in skills (remember this is the new citizens forum) the Apoc is a very effective mission running ship

Easy to use? yes.. but it's not fantastic. Assuming newer players who might not have their cap skils maxed combined with lower BS skill they'll have to "turtle" their fit to a point where its dps becomes really bad, resulting in taking much more damage and losing time. Once people are "freed" from the "must perma tank" doctrine the Abaddon starts to shine massively whereas the Apoc stays kinda exactly what it already was.

Quote:
minor differences between it and the Abaddon

42% extra dps is hardly minor. Actually I'd argue that the Abaddon outperforms just about any other T1 ship and quite a few faction/marauders as well (with the EM/therm addendum ofcourse).

Quote:
So again, show me the Raven that is better

Where did I state that the Raven is better? And actually, if you want to use the "newbie" card the Raven IS easier to use due to no tracking issues, easier tanking and damage selection. Personally I HATE the damn ship and the "go Caldari for PVE" nonsense but the thing is that Caldari doesn't have much choice with T1 ships. Amarr does; Abaddon.

Here's how I see it:

The Abaddon, if fitted right, is more difficult to use in the way that you need to pay attention, but it pays for that by doing massively more dps at ranges you mostly see in PVE. And if you would get in trouble then mega pulses with MF, combined with Abaddon skills and two scripted TCs will fight you out of trouble better than any other ship, it's BRUTAL short range.

I'll gladly have more dps at ranges where it matters with (possibly) more tracking at the cost of having to pay more attention and not being able to hit outside of 75km (lets not forget that the Apoc might have targeting range issues further out).

Just to make it a bit less "he said, she said", here's the fit I use. Compare that to your Apoc, fit needs a PG implant but if you throw the "newer player" card then you can lose the AB in favour of something else.

[Abaddon, LVL 4 Sansha]
Core C-Type Large Armor Repairer
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink

100MN Afterburner II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

Mega Pulse Laser II, Scorch L

Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.

Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2011-09-10 03:40:27 UTC
Please keep the debate up. I'm loving all the info. I've been thinking about which BS I will eventually go with. Let me add a piece of info or two personal to me. I like pulses, not beams. And my corporation is in minimar space, so I'm missioning for brutor. I don't know if that changes the debate.

Unless further debate changes my mind, I am currently thinking Apocalypse to start (cheaper, like Range bonus, easier to fly) with a mean Abbadon as a long term build up to ship.

In any case, I'm learning a lot, just yesterday I learned how to get stuck on a large collidable object while trying to run away from a lvl 3 mission. A 40 mil lesson. Woohoo!

-BleedBlue
Gregor Palter
#24 - 2011-09-10 04:06:45 UTC
If you do missions for a Min NPC corp you'll run into Angels a lot. This is what you should know about them:

- Angels are weak to explosive and Kinetic but they resist EM and thermal. Result is that your lasers are going to "suck"
- Angels mostly do explosive and kinetic damage which means that armour tanking is going to "suck"
- Angels tend to close in fast and get into very short orbit

First two parts mean than an armour tanking, laser wielding ship is going to be absolutely crap at killing Angels. It's the exact opposite of what you want. Last bit means that you really need to be able to do high dps up close so if anything use an abbaddon.

But you really shouldn't do this, either choose to fly different ships or choose to use a different NPC corp. It's just not "smart" do do Min missions in a laser boat and the time you may gain from "keeping it easy and doing it anyway" will be easily lost because of your horrendous applied dps and tanking issues. Really, you should rethink this.

Realise that the faction you'll be fighting depends mostly on where the agent is, if it's a Minnie Agent in Amarr space you'll be fine so it depends if there's an option for that.

Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2011-09-10 12:04:15 UTC
I hear ya. Its a tough spot though, because all my corp support is in Min space. So if I were to travel to Amarr to do missions I'd lose it. Trust me, it isn't just on a whim that I'm doing this, I'm handcuffed by my support options. And before you say "join a different corp" I have my real life friends who got me into Eve in my corp. So I'm not leaving.
Gregor Palter
#26 - 2011-09-10 12:35:10 UTC
Let me try to convey the "issue" :)

You really, really, REALLY don't want to do Minnie missions in a typical Amarr ship, it's going to be bad. You can accept it would it happen on occasion and shrug it off but if you get angels 50+% of the time you'll hate every second of it.

So if you don't want to (or can't) move to Amarr space you have the following options:

- decide on another form of income than running missions (or ratting/exploration)
- choose to fly something other than Amarr, you're a young pilot so it's not like anything is set in stone yet (as if it ever would be)

I DO hope your friends conveyed this issue to you otherwise you should question their judgement. Normally I would even state that if you, as a newbie, join a corp who lives in space that's not beneficial to the ship race you fly the CEO should stress that problem before you join, otherwise he's clueless and/or an *******. A Simple "if you fly Amarr you're going to have serious issues doing missions around here" is enough, the rest is up to that newbie.

Toshiro GreyHawk
#27 - 2011-09-10 20:59:07 UTC
On the subject of Player Run Investments ...

Ponzi Scheme a Success

*shrug*

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#28 - 2011-09-11 02:33:14 UTC
The other issue running a bank is that it gets too cumbersome and/or beyond your ability/capacity and/or you just get bored with it.

A lot of "scams" are just failed investments using the e-fame of the scam to save face.

Run a large Corp for a while. Run an alliance for a while. Then decide if you want to run a "bank" (something that has never been successfully done in Eve) with all of the long-term obligations it entails.

GL with your endeavors in Eve. Perhaps I'll see you out there sometime.

KB

Dum Spiro Spero

Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2011-09-11 02:44:28 UTC
My friends are miners....that should explain the lack of warning. I haven't felt like I've had trouble (though, how would I know?) I feel ****** about this, I picked Amarr because of the ships, I enjoy the mechanics. I don't want to fly other ships (now for a long time, at least). And I don't want to mine, manufacture, haul or trade. And as I said, I'm not leaving my friends. So am I doomed? Are there no agents I could deal with for favorable rat types?
-BleedBlue
KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#30 - 2011-09-11 02:51:46 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
My friends are miners....that should explain the lack of warning. I haven't felt like I've had trouble (though, how would I know?) I feel ****** about this, I picked Amarr because of the ships, I enjoy the mechanics. I don't want to fly other ships (now for a long time, at least). And I don't want to mine, manufacture, haul or trade. And as I said, I'm not leaving my friends. So am I doomed? Are there no agents I could deal with for favorable rat types?
-BleedBlue

If you're having fun and enjoying the game with your friends...then you're far from doomed.

If you let yourself get wrapped around all this min/max EFT ranger stuff, then yes...you're doomed.

Dum Spiro Spero

Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2011-09-11 04:06:33 UTC
Thanks KB. If the answer is 'no' to me finding a relatively local agent with favorable rats, I will still just deal with unfavorable ones. About the bank, it really is in the 'years away supergoal' category for me. Like I said, I don't have nearly the chops to even begin to undertake it anytime in the near future. I just think that with a true economy, like Eve has, there just has to be a way to fit a bank into it. But its just an untested hypothesis right now.
Himnos Altar
An Errant Venture
#32 - 2011-09-11 07:55:15 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

-I have aspirations of one day starting a true, scammless, investment bank....I see no reason why it couldn't be done honestly,

Good to meet all of you.
-Bleedblue

This is EVE we're talking about. If you don't rip off the bank someone else will.
grazer gin
Raving Rednecks
#33 - 2011-09-11 17:44:49 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
I'll never be a griefer, or a pirate, or a scammer.
-Bleedblue

You say this now but dont worry like everyone els i know you will turn into everything you once hated and you will be enjoying it.
Large Collidable Object
morons.
#34 - 2011-09-11 22:24:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

In any case, I'm learning a lot, just yesterday I learned how to get stuck on a large collidable object while trying to run away from a lvl 3 mission. A 40 mil lesson. Woohoo!

I'm Sorry Cry - didn't notice you getting stuck.

On topic - it's been a while since I've run missions and all is fine as long as you enjoy it, but as others have pointed out, flying Missions vs Angels in Amarr Ships is not the best idea, due to their resistance-profile and yours (at least on T1, explosive and kinetic are your worst resists).

Also finding an Amarr Agent in Minmatar wouldn't solve your problem as a large portion of the agents mission pool will still be against Angels, since the enemy type is largely dependant on the region you fly in - the agents faction itself is only responsible for a minor fraction of missions, iirc (someone correct me if I'm wrong...).

Other than that, a HAM legion would be an alternative with excellent resists vs angels and free choice of damagetypes, but as it lacks range, you'll find yourself flying from ship to ship a lot - but I guess as you're really into lasers, that isn't an option anyway.

If it must be pulselasers, the least bad thing you could probably go for would be a Nighmare - thanks to its shieldtank, it's better suited vs angels. The other main advantage is its tracking bonus, which would allow you conflagration lenses that deal a higher percentage of thermal damage than all other types.
Whilst Thermal is still angels second best resist, it's usually 10% lower than EM. One of their downsides is a penalty on turret tracking and as angels are fairly fast and tend to orbit you close, you could run into problems tracking them using conflag in an unbonused ship, which shouldn't be a problem using a Nightmare.

Edit: I found some unidentifiable remains in a skin fold - guess that was you - deposited what they were worth in your wallet.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Roark BleedBlue
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2011-09-12 00:11:33 UTC
Large Collidable Object wrote:
Roark BleedBlue wrote:

I'm Sorry Cry - didn't notice you getting stuck.

Other than that, a HAM legion would be an alternative with excellent resists vs angels and free choice of damagetypes, but as it lacks range, you'll find yourself flying from ship to ship a lot - but I guess as you're really into lasers, that isn't an option anyway.

Edit: I found some unidentifiable remains in a skin fold - guess that was you - deposited what they were worth in your wallet.

Well, while I'm still a little perturbed at my crew for not informing me I was directing them to align directly into you, thusly banging my nose into your side repeatedly until I popped.....I very much appreciate you returning my crumpled remains to me Big smile, you paid me enough with just the lesson. Your help is very much appreciated.

About the angels, I've decided to use them as a training weight. I don't feel like I'm having too much trouble with them as it is (as long as I don't run into you), so when someday we nomad our way back into more Amarr friendly conditions, I'll feel like I am a god due to my added obstacles early in life.

I really enjoy the ships. I dunno, I'll take on a little extra work in my missioning. It'll make me better at dealing with disadvantaged conditions. It's worth it to me.

and grazer: People have been telling me that all my life with regard to different "easy/low/tempting" path situations. I've grown to enjoy proving them wrong.

I like this place a little more everyday.

-BleedBlue
Shawnm339
Ministry of Furious Retribution
Fraternity.
#36 - 2011-09-12 11:14:53 UTC
Welcome to Eve I'm the same as you from an aesthetic view point my Eve heart lies with Amarr ships...I love the Abaddon and it was the ship I trained for (even though I flew Coercers to Harbys) it was my long term goal....just be aware that even though you can skill for a ship relatively quickly if you're flying missions you may not be skilled to fully do it justice (for example I just trained Battleship to level 4 which made me cap stable to fit an extra T2 turret).......I'm now working backwards in wanting to fly smaller ships Strategic Cruiser for example....just be careful making that leap to level 4s fit your resists accordingly

Also use evemon as its a great tool for creating a skill plan to ge tthe best out of a ship (dont plan for Marauders though itll make you cry)....everything in Eve is time based pick the ship of your dreams plan for it but fly the ship below until youve ticked all the boxes that way you reduce the risk of losing your ship if you hit the wrong trigger in Blockade....

If you want a new corp there's plenty of good guys to fly with or you could come join us we have a laugh fly Incursions and Missions and have just started flying with a gang hunting pirates for giggles in low sec....a Imp Navy slicer is a very good scout ship reasonably priced and allows you to go ahead looking for the rum drinking eye patch wearing bad men

Good luck with the bank would be nice to have that facility but can't see it working the minute I hear investment opportunity on here I think Ponzi

jonnus ursidae
Blacklight Holdings
#37 - 2011-09-12 21:03:55 UTC
Hiya Roark,

I saw your original post and joined Phicorp, I run lvl 4 Minmatar missions and can help with your standings (and add a litle extra pewpew to them)... so far we've not been online together but see you soon.

Jonnus.
Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2011-09-12 22:28:19 UTC
Roark BleedBlue wrote:
Well, I've been playing 3 weeks now, and out of the thousands of games I have ever played, I'm more hyped about Eve, than anything else I've ever played. Thought I'd make an introduction, because I plan on being around for a good long time, and would like to be involved in the forums as well.

First impression: I don't like the goons. I disagree with their philosophy part and parcel. I'll never be a griefer, or a pirate, or a scammer. However, without them I don't think I would even care to play this game. So you'll never hear the whiny pleas to stop them coming from me.

Noob QA. Here's what I'm doing, and what I want to do. Let me know why I'm wrong.

-Joined a brand new small player Corp.
-Flying Amarr, doing lvl 3's in a Harby, skilling up so I can fit it with more than dental floss.
-Plan to PVE for income for the foreseeable future, and eventually run mining op PVP protection detail for my corp

-I have aspirations of one day starting a true, scammless, investment bank....I see no reason why it couldn't be done honestly, and no reason why it couldn't be a great resource to everyone involved. It's a long way down the road, but I think it could be awesome.

Good to meet all of you.
-Bleedblue

Hey Roark, wish you well but as others have said - fair warning. EVE is a horrible, evil game, that will make you a bitter and angry person if you stick with it for a long time. The only thing that's keeping this character "good" is a commitment to an rp-ed reputation.

You might find that even if you want to keep your R BB character "clean", you will probably, at some point, get so angry that you splash out for another account on which you are able to spew your bitter bile and venom on the world of New Eden Lol
jonnus ursidae
Blacklight Holdings
#39 - 2011-09-12 22:35:25 UTC
Awww don't give in to the hate Barbelo, come with me and deliver kittens and puppies to orphans in Molden Heath.
Shawnm339
Ministry of Furious Retribution
Fraternity.
#40 - 2011-09-13 09:27:56 UTC
meh some people play for the social aspects and to achieve something others play to run round treading on other folks sandcastles....
Previous page12