These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Implications of more widespread use of sleeper and sleeper derived technolgies ?

Author
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#1 - 2013-11-30 21:34:53 UTC
Since wormholes began to open across New Eden, Sleeper tech has played some role in the activities of the empires and especially the capsuleers (and other interested parties). Originally it was confined for the most part; there were many hundreds of samples being poked and prodded in labs both official and clandestine of New Eden with a limited number of ships directly built with ill understood sleeper technologies and materials: experimental ships known as Strategic Cruisers and classified as Tech 3 vessels. Since then the utilization of T3 vessels has steadily increased as supplies of the requisite materials have similarly increased.

More importantly, however, we have seen Sleeper technologies started to be utilized in other areas and new technologies copied and derived from the original sleeper equipments. I would say the most prominent of these technologies are DUST mercenaries. It is my understanding (though that area of tech is not one I study heavily so forgive any errors) that the first generation prototype soldiers directly used sleeper implants while newer generations have used reverse engineered copies that are nevertheless built in New Eden. These new immortal soldiers are not the only use of such technologies however. Many of you may have noticed a large number of vessels have recently been overhauled be they standard designs, uprated factional designs or the advanced technology (T2) ships produced by the corporations. My sources in the Lai Dai and Ishukone R&D departments have hinted that some of this may be related to research into sleeper technologies.

Most of these improvements are fairly minor items and aren't so much reverse engineered technologies as they are taking lessons learned and applying them to our technologies. For example while no new technologies are used, lessons in miniaturization have allowed for the advanced repair systems of support cruisers to be applied to frigate sized platforms, and, more recently, better electronics systems on EAFs and sub capital siege modules (the Bastion Module created for the recently redesigned Marauders). Some of these items are more directly derived, however. Previously the strict domain of experimental ships, interdiction nullifiers have now begun to be built into the wake limiters of Interceptors. This may even be an improvement in propulsion technologies over sleeper technologies since no T3 vessel openly available has both a wake limiter and interdiction nullifer fitted at the same time while Interceptors have both (granted interceptors still don't have as much exceptional equipment).

I am wondering what the implications of wider spread use of sleeper technologies and the lessons learned from it being applied to lower level technologies are.
What are your guys thoughts on the subject?
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
#2 - 2013-12-01 03:19:29 UTC
Well, if things are taken directly from sleeper technology, as opposed to being reverse-engineered, then they're open to being controlled and used by the "other"... I could see this becoming a problem once again with the SoE BS, the Nestor, being designed to operate in a wormhole environment.

You should read Templar One- I really loved that bookBig smile
N'maro Makari
#3 - 2013-12-01 07:42:47 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci wrote:
Well, if things are taken directly from sleeper technology, as opposed to being reverse-engineered, then they're open to being controlled and used by the "other"... I could see this becoming a problem once again with the SoE BS, the Nestor, being designed to operate in a wormhole environment.

You should read Templar One- I really loved that bookBig smile

((Wrong forum, In-Character here.))

Xindi Kraid wrote:
(Snipped for easy reading)

It's a bit premature to go around saying the DUST soldiers are the product of Sleeper design isn't it? Either it's tinfoil hat time or you're witholding some information from us.

In fact, in short this post is so far filled with a great many assumptions and few sources.

**Vherokior **

Xindi Kraid
#4 - 2013-12-01 20:51:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Xindi Kraid
N'maro Makari wrote:

Xindi Kraid wrote:
(Snipped for easy reading)

It's a bit premature to go around saying the DUST soldiers are the product of Sleeper design isn't it?
As I said, I don't know much about DUST technology. If I have been misinformed on the subject, I apologize.

My area of expertise is with the propulsion systems on small sized vessels (ie. frigates and destroyers). As I said, interdiction nullification systems have very recently been fitted to interceptors by the various ship construction corporations (I suspect the reason most refits end up happening around the same time between manufacturers and empires is due to corporate and national espionage). It's only very recently that that technology has been possible for frigate hulls, and the technology itself only appeared once we began to reverse engineer Sleeper technology.

Again, as I stated, for the most part, this isn't directly sleeper technology (none of the vessels I have worked on contain any fullerines or salvaged sleeper equipment nor do the blueprints call for them), but lessons learned from the utilization of sleeper technology have almost certainly been applied to other areas.

I also certainly don't remember any similarly massive cross class revitalization and upgrade projects as seem to have been taken by the various factions and corporations in the past year.
Dreygun
Alexylva Paradox
#5 - 2013-12-02 00:52:55 UTC
It may be hard to really come to any hard conclusions as to the implications of sleeper technology use. The sleeper drones utilize a great many odd intricacies. I would however, have to say it is concerning that many of our most advanced wormhole based vessels utilize so much of this technology. Considering the theories revolving around what sleeper drones actually are, I would have to question if so much integration of their technology into our vessels couldn't be used to their advantage. For my research I tend to favor the utilization of non sleeper derived technologies when combating them.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-12-02 02:46:46 UTC
Most of Sleeper technology is on the same technological trajectory we were already tracing. By and large it's just miniaturized, more efficient versions of what we were already making - graphene nanoribbons being a prime example of a technology we were already using, but more advanced. Even DUST implants are identifiably founded on principles not dissimilar to some of the then-cutting-edge products of Zainou, Poteque, Eifyr & Co. and Inherent, albeit several generations more advanced. But if their operating principles and construction weren't already within our grasp, we would never have been able to reverse-engineer them and begin their mass manufacture, so they're not so awe-inducingly far ahead as some people like to exclaim.

The exception is fullerene technologies. Fullerite just isn't a widely available resource in New Eden, which means that while we did have fullerene-based technology, it was always limited to small-scale materials sciences for use in things like nanoelectronics, medical equipment and advanced scientific facilities. The relative sparsity of the stuff meant that its applications on such grand scales as industrial starship design and manufacture was never really considered save in theoretical terms - any ship dependent on them simply would have been far too expensive to be worth the cost.

Phase Two space (I dislike the name "Anoikis") is rich in fullerite gas clouds, however. Hell, there are so many of the damn things that you actually have to wait for some of it to condense away from a larger concentration before you can get a decent astrometric lock on it, otherwise the sheer abundance of it overwhelms spectrographic analysers and prevents the calculation of a warp target. Some, such as C-320 are rarer and thus more valuable but none of them are in danger of becoming depleted any time soon.

The tricky part is going to be divorcing ourselves from fullerenes, I think - no resource is unlimited, and if we're not careful we'll find ourselves becoming dependent on Fullerite, which is only available in Phase Two space and thus only available via capsuleers who are, technically, violating a CONCORD directive. So it's going to be important for RnD back in Phase One space (New Eden) to focus on producing similar performance without having to rely on industrial quantities of fullerene molecules.

There's been some success there - Interdiction Nullifier technology has been successfully transplanted from strategic cruisers to interceptors without much altering the material makeup of an interceptor - but other areas might prove more difficult. The fullerene-based electrostatic bonding which makes modular subsystem ships possible at all simply isn't going to yield to non-fullerene materials any time soon.

As for where it's all going? Well, the same question has been asked of the wheel, the printing press, antibiotics and the warp drive. And the answer has always been the same. We're going to the future.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Xindi Kraid
#7 - 2013-12-02 06:13:13 UTC
Dreygun wrote:
It may be hard to really come to any hard conclusions as to the implications of sleeper technology use. The sleeper drones utilize a great many odd intricacies. I would however, have to say it is concerning that many of our most advanced wormhole based vessels utilize so much of this technology. Considering the theories revolving around what sleeper drones actually are, I would have to question if so much integration of their technology into our vessels couldn't be used to their advantage. For my research I tend to favor the utilization of non sleeper derived technologies when combating them.

Not sure what to make of the possibility of subersion you suggest, but it does at least concern me that forceful disconnection (read: ship blown up) from experimental Sleeper tech vessels (T3s) causes neurological damage

Stitcher wrote:
Most of Sleeper technology is on the same technological trajectory we were already tracing. By and large it's just miniaturized, more efficient versions of what we were already making - graphene nanoribbons being a prime example of a technology we were already using, but more advanced. Even DUST implants are identifiably founded on principles not dissimilar to some of the then-cutting-edge products of Zainou, Poteque, Eifyr & Co. and Inherent, albeit several generations more advanced. But if their operating principles and construction weren't already within our grasp, we would never have been able to reverse-engineer them and begin their mass manufacture, so they're not so awe-inducingly far ahead as some people like to exclaim.

Fair enough. I never meant to imply sleeper technology was so advanced as to be unlike anything we have currently, but I think exposure to the technology has fast tracked our development somewhat. After all it's easier to reverse engineer something than develop it from scratch. Even the original stargates laid by the empires were in some way based on archaeological findings of gates built by long dead civilizations.

I wonder about the possible consequences of the increased speed of development and the fact some of it has come about without us developing every piece from scratch. I won't say it's good or bad (indeed, often times progress is a mix), but it is interesting to say the least, and I do wonder if having tech handed to us may subtlety influence out technological path (had we not had sleeper tech might we have instead invented a battleship grade interdiction nullifier first, for instance, and would it be co-located with a wake limiter and share some of the same components?)
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-12-02 12:33:41 UTC
The consequences are always the same - ten years later, somebody is asking the exact same question of some new technological paradigm. My answer will likely remain the same, too: "Wait and see."

There's very little to be gained from bemoaning the course we didn't chart, especially when our course was in part dictated by forces beyond our control. I'm reminded of the ancient sea traders of Caldari Prime, who were at once at the mercy of the winds (in both the literal and spiritual sense) but also quite capable of navigating between two spots on different coastlines that, from orbit, seem barely visible, let alone distinguishable. In our case, the wind that blew and redirected our course was Seyllin.

That was a classic Outside Context Scenario. Stars, so far as we know, just don't behave like that, and I'm not aware of any serious scientific theory for what happened, beyond assorted grumblings about rare and unstable Isogen compounds.

After that, I don't really see how events could have unfolded any differently. Wormholes opened, new systems rich in resources and a technologically advanced army of drones were discovered, CONCORD issued a directive against travel to said systems, which was duly ignored, and within a remarkably short span of time, the first strategic cruisers were born. We were swept up by a storm and it carried us to a new and hitherto undiscovered port.

Unfamiliar as I may be with maritime sailing, I imagine that if your ship is caught by a storm front, then your best odds of staying afloat and living to see calm waters again come from taking the situation as it is and exploiting the opportunities that present themselves, rather than speculating about where it's all leading to.

The future is something we condense out of clouds of probability. Foresight helps us pick which outcome we prefer to see come to pass. The important part to remember is that it's US who do that - people. Humans. Technology itself does not shape the course of history: a slimmer, sturdier hull and better sails may make the voyage smoother, but it's still a human hand at the helm, and a human mind on the bridge... or capsule, as the case may be.

Where will Sleeper-derived technology take us? To wherever we steer it.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Lady Katherine Devonshire
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#9 - 2013-12-03 02:16:34 UTC
I must say, Captain Stitcher, that reading your thoughts on this subject has been very intellectually stimulating. You have clearly put a great deal of research into this subject. My compliments.
Xindi Kraid
#10 - 2013-12-03 06:34:17 UTC
I am not as happy with the non answers Hakatain has given. While the wait and see approach is a laudable goal, the first and last paragraphs of the last reply effectively dodge the question asked.

Also, I am not bemoaning anything; I was merely fishing for opinions. it can be interesting to see what people think on subjects like this, and what if scenarios can also, occasionally be enlightening.

You're right that humans chart the course of the future but technology has as much an influence as sociological issues. Though it was for scocietal reasons the Amarr built an empire, it was jump gate technology that enabled it. Imagine the ramifications if it were the Minmatar who had discovered stargates first while the Amarr were stuck trying to make an interstellar acceleration gate.
N'maro Makari
#11 - 2013-12-03 08:00:14 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
I am not as happy with the non answers Hakatain has given. While the wait and see approach is a laudable goal, the first and last paragraphs of the last reply effectively dodge the question asked.

Also, I am not bemoaning anything; I was merely fishing for opinions. it can be interesting to see what people think on subjects like this, and what if scenarios can also, occasionally be enlightening.

You're right that humans chart the course of the future but technology has as much an influence as sociological issues. Though it was for scocietal reasons the Amarr built an empire, it was jump gate technology that enabled it. Imagine the ramifications if it were the Minmatar who had discovered stargates first while the Amarr were stuck trying to make an interstellar acceleration gate.

Mr Hakatain, you may know, is of a scientific mind, and it is very hard to do anything scientific with data which does not exist/has not been found yet, which is the case with a great deal of, not just sleeper tech, but all precursor tech to the "big four" and indeed within the big four themselves.

So really, until there's hard data there's nothing really that can be done other than either pontificate our unsubstantiated speculations, or engage in actual research.

**Vherokior **

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#12 - 2013-12-03 08:51:30 UTC
Personally, I'm looking forward to the new tech those 'eggheads' design from reverse engineering. Not only will it make my hunting easier from the increased benifit in modules, but it will make my profit from looted ships go up too. And who knows, maybe these idiots on the end of my guns will make more interesting. Twisted