These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2481 - 2013-11-30 13:20:51 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
You can tweak the DAT files in EFT with this: http://www.editplus.com/ and see the results of the changes you are suggesting. Obviously make a backup of the DAT files first Blink
Yeah thanks but I have no idea how to work with DAT files.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2482 - 2013-11-30 13:41:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Niena Nuamzzar
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
The frigate you are shooting at don't have the hp of a cruiser. With 420dps, the executioner will die in 10 seconds.

I agree with you - RLML are OP to the first one or two frigates, before they hit their period of inactivity, crippling the ship for 40 seconds. It has nothing to do with light missiles or deleted RLML being OP. Besides, how many pilots can say they are flying Cerberus (or Caracal) with perfect skills and adequate +3 implants? I bet not many.

Quote:

[Caracal, lolanti-frig]

LOL really, large ancillary and an EM hole.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2483 - 2013-11-30 13:55:48 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
Bouh, really, the Thorax is niche, but that Caracal isn't?

Its tank is laughable mate, truly, 10,000 EHP with a 12.5 EM resistance? and overloaded tank of 207hp that will run out of charges and take 60 seconds to reload? And the rigs? An AB is pointless on a Caracal unless its set to brawl tank (This fit isn't) as you'll want a MWD to keep range.

First off you're getting a stacking penalty with two rigs like that, and giving up tank / speed etc.

We get it. You think Caracal's are some epic ship that destroys everything in its path, whether its a frigate or cruiser, because its so awesome with its missiles and all. You're consistently forgetting the drawbacks the ship has (That EM resist you failed to fix is just one example) and it speed, signature and fitting limitations.

Your fit only hits an AB Incursus for 63 dps outside of missile range - before resists. I'm pretty sure that 317 peak tank I showed you with 60% average resists, can tank 24 dps or so happily while his mates come along.

If - and only if a ship comes within web range, I can hit the Incursus for 146 dps, which with resists means that is more like 90 DPS. I ain't going to be cracking any Incursus or pretty much anything else close range fit, with this ship.

You called the fit lol anti-frigate - it is indeed laughable.

The Thorax can potentially do over four times the DPS with the Rails within Web Range, and happily do 2x-3x more outside of them than this epic Caracal. The thorax is vulnerable to TD, which I've agreed with you about, but that doesn't affect every fight, and as shown, light drones will kill a kiting frigate no problem, the fact that none of your fellow Thorax pilots don't bother as they want to do peak DPS, then moan when a Condor with TD kills them with their Blaster fit Thorax, is not the fault of the Thorax, but of how its fit. If you want a stronger tank on the Thorax, it can easily do so, indeed it is one the best tanking cruisers in the game.
Haha ! truly amazing ! The Thorax ? One of the best tanking cruiser in game ?! :D

And have you seen your fit ? 12kehp, 135dps while you have charges in the AAR, then it's reload or worse, but reload is welcome anyway as you only have 55s of capacitor. I at least never tryed to say the fit would be an excellent and versatile one. I only wanted to show you the same fit as your Thorax, but with a Caracal.

And of your 146dps outside of web range, 100 come from the drones... Exactly as I said a Vexor would be a lot better than the Thorax to hunt frigates. You didn't show that railguns were better than HML to shoot frigates but that drones were and I never denied that.

So again, focusing on best casee scenarios for turrets is just naive or dishonnest, but if you truly think you can offset all the drawbacks of turrets with your leet skills, then don't bother with missiles, because they are designed around average performances in all cases instead of very good sometimes and very bad others.

And if even you can't admit that medium LR turrets don't hit frigates at short range and short range turrets don't hit them a long range whereas missiles do hit them whatever the range, then I've nothing more to do in this thread because you are just reistant to reality and logic. That's just in front of you, in the numbers you just brought : LR turrets do nothing to frigates unless you dedicate all your fit to it, and even then the drones do most of the job.
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2484 - 2013-11-30 14:05:10 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Moonaura wrote:
You can tweak the DAT files in EFT with this: http://www.editplus.com/ and see the results of the changes you are suggesting. Obviously make a backup of the DAT files first Blink

Its just a big table of names and then numbers.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2485 - 2013-11-30 14:12:32 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
And of your 146dps outside of web range, 100 come from the drones... Exactly as I said a Vexor would be a lot better than the Thorax to hunt frigates. You didn't show that railguns were better than HML to shoot frigates but that drones were and I never denied that.

Nerf drones?
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2486 - 2013-11-30 14:17:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And have you seen your fit ? 12kehp, 135dps while you have charges in the AAR, then it's reload or worse, but reload is welcome anyway as you only have 55s of capacitor. I at least never tryed to say the fit would be an excellent and versatile one. I only wanted to show you the same fit as your Thorax, but with a Caracal.

You do realise that is a shifting hardener? Have you tried projecting the effects it would bring against your Incursus?

It takes the tank up to nearer 200hp a second once shifted and that isn't its peak shift. Your little Incursus can only do 115 DPS with its blasters - and it can't reach me, because you are webbed and out of their tiny range.

Lets say your little mate comes in to pew pew me with his ship. After resists he does around 30-40 dps to me a second. I have 12,000 hp he has to chew through.

I have realised that I can remove the tracking enhancers and use two DPS modules instead.

I am now hitting your Incursus for 544 DPS, accurately and without fail. Your Frigate is space dust and your in your Pod in less than 30 seconds, probably around 15 seconds if the fight starts with you coming in at me.

Is your mate and his epic DPS going to break me in that time? I don't think so.

Then I web him. Then I burn away from him. Then I shoot him in the face and laugh very hard indeed.

My alt is a couple of weeks from getting almost perfect armor tanking, at which point I will be taking these out in Black Rise and having myself a good old Incursus burning Big smile

If any Caracal with Rapids is Stupid enough to try to get me, I can do more than twice his DPS and pray that my tank holds. It will be close, but fun. EDIT - I should say - Close until he hits the 40 second reload, at which point he dies.

PS. If you want to see it in action, I will happily show you on SISI. Free to test it anytime today. Send me an e-mail and I'm there.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2487 - 2013-11-30 15:14:04 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Moonaura wrote:

All I'm seeing is a mess of names and letters with number letter combinations mixed in;

Mjolnir Fury Light MissileSabertooth Fury Light Missile ` I T | ~ | YYYY, and so on, lines and lines of it.
Closest thing to numbers, $ 33SB YYYY. Which apparently coincides with Blood Gamma XL

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2488 - 2013-11-30 15:26:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

That is the DPS of the guns hitting a kiting frigate which only has less than 1500 hp, which means its dead in 15 or so seconds after resists. I don't need to use a Vexor.

But you're right, it might even be more powerful that the Thorax. *eck!*

At range, against an normal frigate, coming in at me from range, or using an AB to close range, The guns will do 335 DPS alone. If he is orbiting at Disruptor range, my guns with Uranium faction can hit a normal frigate for 148 dps. An AB fit one for 122 (But I can also potentially get them inside of webbing range if I fly nicely). Very few pilots fit a disruptor ranged frigate with an AB, so I'm pretty safe there.

That is without drones.

The role the tracking enhancers give is actually quite interesting. Basically all you get is a smoother overall DPS application - the curve rises and drops smoother. If you really know your ammo range and capabilities, its better to fit DPS modules. The ammo range isn't as smooth, but it does more damage overall. So... fit DPS mods.

Once anything is in web range, its basically going to get full DPS.

Outside of that range, you're basically saying guns are useless. You're wrong. Bear in mind, the Condor etc is basically a T1 Interceptor and much faster than other frigates, even if they have a MWD.

The other thing you're suggesting is that this Thorax is now far to light to tank something like a Caracal cruiser.

Lets say, I DO have a fight with the new Caracal. Hitting my Thorax with the new RLML (or the original). Chances are the Caracal pilot is going to be flying with Precision Missiles, he can't reload when I warp in, so he's stuck with them (I will later show the damage if he had everything setup perfect to fight you).

He can shoot my Thorax out to 33km. Lets say he wants to make sure his missiles reach if you're burning away from him. That means he's going to sit himself in an orbit of 29km - well outside of his point range, but lets suppose he's there.

He does 189 DPS on average with the new 40 second reload. While he's active he will do 285 DPS with the burst damage. After resists then, that is going to be something averaging around 50% against me, so doing 143 DPS (I rounded up for you to be kind). I can actively repair for well over that, for the length of his burst damage, and reloading the nanite paste while he does so. Then I can turn my tank off and get cap back while he's doing nothing but sit there idly waiting for his reload to finish.

Meanwhile.... I've reloaded my best ammo for the range (in this case Uranium Faction). Wait five seconds. Then hit F1.

I am now hitting him for 411 DPS. With my fit on the Caracal, Overloaded, I have 66% resists against that damage, reducing it to around 185 DPS.

There are various ways to tank the Caracal, but if I go with the ASB - I can clearly tank that sort of damage - while the charges last.

And there is something very very important to remember in all of this. The Thorax doesn't stop shooting for 40 seconds. It is constantly doing damage.

The Caracal is not. While the Thorax can recover cap and reload nanite paste because his opponent stopped shooting, the Caracal doesn't have that luxury. Once he hits the 60 second reload for the ASB he's going to die.

The other point to consider is that the Caracal cannot remain cap stable with a MWD on without a Cap Booster or even more Capacitor Rechargers - which gimps the mid slots - or rigs... or whatever you want.

The Cap on the Thorax is also at a premium, but given it can stop its tank for 40 seconds, its in a far stronger position.

If the Caracal is within webbing range its absolutely dead, I can overload his tank reload and hp very quickly and I can STILL tank his damage throughout.

The RLML is useless. It cannot beat a well tanked Incursus. It cannot beat a Thorax with rails and a relatively weaker tank.

If the Caracal started the fight with Faction Lights, then the DPS he can do on average is 212 before resists, with his burst damage at 367. Again after resists - The thorax can tank that and reload nanite inbetween bursts, with only a 20 second window of not being tanked.

Its very tight, but if you get within point range, which solo - the Caracal has to do or I just warp off etc - then I can hit him for 460-480 if he has perfect transversal. If he doesn't I can reach full DPS. Again, he's taking consistent damage, once he has to reload the ASB - which won't take that long to run out at this rate - he's in all kinds of trouble.

So what would you honestly rather fly? The RLML cannot kill a well tanked Incursus, and cannot kill enemy cruisers that have even pretty sucky tanks on, and cannot actively tank while fitting TP etc and burn cap with a MWD and Active tank so lose a mid slot to a cap booster. That leaves an ASB that has a 60 second reload time, and a passive fit tank which boosts the signature up. *Sigh* where are you trying to go with this Buoh? I'm not sure what else you can invent to demonstrate how terrible Gallente are and how epic missiles are.

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2489 - 2013-11-30 15:32:26 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Moonaura wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Moonaura wrote:

All I'm seeing is a mess of names and letters with number letter combinations mixed in;

Mjolnir Fury Light MissileSabertooth Fury Light Missile ` I T | ~ | YYYY, and so on, lines and lines of it.
Closest thing to numbers, $ 33SB YYYY. Which apparently coincides with Blood Gamma XL

Clearly editplus fails. Sorry for wasting your time. I know some people have edited these before, as folks have released dat files before an EFT is officially released - typically this happens before an expansion is release for example, and people want to see what new ships will do etc.

Post in the EFT thread and see what folks say.

Dr Sraggles
The Covenant of Blood
#2490 - 2013-11-30 16:51:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Sraggles
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And there you have it: This clown is trying to tell people that shoot frigates every damn day with missiles and rails that HML are as good as rails.

Wow...just...wow, bro. You really really really are just talking out of your ass and have never used HML in your life. Heavy Missiles cannot even hit cruisers well enough to be viable in PvP.

Moonaura wrote:
So what would you honestly rather fly? The RLML cannot kill a well tanked Incursus, and cannot kill enemy cruisers that have even pretty sucky tanks on, and cannot actively tank while fitting TP etc and burn cap with a MWD and Active tank so lose a mid slot to a cap booster. That leaves an ASB that has a 60 second reload time, and a passive fit tank which boosts the signature up. *Sigh* where are you trying to go with this Buoh? I'm not sure what else you can invent to demonstrate how terrible Gallente are and how epic missiles are.

The take home message for anyone with their eyes open is that both of these dedicated frig killers cannot remotely then take a well tanked cruiser. If any standard fit cruiser shows up on the field they are going down. If they engage each other it is gonna come down to piloting, imo. And most of those standard fit cruiser have little to fear from frigs, even if they don't project a dedicated anti-frig role well.

And that is precisely why the pigeonholing of the Caracal into a marginal role only for killing frigs has me annoyed. Yes, the new rapid launchers make the ship better at participating in a group gank (that is a welcome *option* when gank is the order of the day) but they gimp it for all around use and I feel for my PvE brothas that are just starting the grind.

It was really hard to tell a new player doing level 2 missions that he had to train HAMS for 2 weeks now that PvE in a Caracal was completely gutted and made more boring. I didn't even think that was possible.

For a game that really struggles to get new players through just about the worst first few months in MMO gaming I simply think it was a bad idea to not give us options.
KatanTharkay
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2491 - 2013-11-30 17:07:33 UTC
One way to make RLML's viable for solo is to make the launchers to have a built in tracking bonus. That will help applying damage to the heavy tanked frigates but will not help much against bigger ships as they already have a much larger signature radius. Also the tracking bonus will not help gangs as they already have the DPS to kill anything. As for the T3's being OP, I guess that will be fixed when they are going to get balanced.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2492 - 2013-11-30 17:23:03 UTC
KatanTharkay wrote:
One way to make RLML's viable for solo is to make the launchers to have a built in tracking bonus. That will help applying damage to the heavy tanked frigates but will not help much against bigger ships as they already have a much larger signature radius. Also the tracking bonus will not help gangs as they already have the DPS to kill anything. As for the T3's being OP, I guess that will be fixed when they are going to get balanced.

RLMLs are viable for solo play (at least the first 50 seconds, anyway). Tracking isn't the problem: it's the combination of ammunition capacity and 40-second reload time.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Kenshi Hanshin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#2493 - 2013-11-30 18:18:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Kenshi Hanshin
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
Now, for this comparison...

What fits were you using for this comparison? Because with a target moving at 3,000 m/sec I have to seriously question whether rails or Warden sentries would have much luck applying full DPS, either. It also stands to reason that sentries and railguns would also see more than a few misses. There's really not enough information to really draw any conclusions for this, other than frigates are not the best thing to hunt with battleships.

Only the weapon systems in T2 for the Hyperion and Domi. I used rigs and BCS for the Raven to try and weight the test in the Raven's favor. Which well, failed miserably. Didn't add in any drones for the Hyperion since I was intending to test the Turrets for the Hyperion and Drones of the Domi.

For the raven it was a full set of *six T2 CMLs, loaded with Scourge Precision. Used this same load for both tests but switched it to Mjolnir Precisions for the Raven vs Raven. Both the Rifter and Raven fits were set for omni-tank as per general PvP standard. All modules used were T2 if fitt-able and otherwise Meta-4.

Does that answer your question? I saw no need to put a full fitting on a group of ships that served the only purpose of testing ranges and DPS over a known range. Tank mods don't affect the dps except on the target ships in EFT. Or at least that was my reasoning for minimal fittings on the Domi and Hyperion.

As I stated in the original posting. I had the Rifter pilot be an idiot and head straight for the Battleships. If I put transversal on the rifter the Hyperion wouldn't be able to track and the Domi's sentries might get a couple hits if that. Instead, i opted to take the most ideal situation possible for all three weapon systems. It still illustrates my point quite well...

Last thing is that I set all pilots involved with those ships to all skills at Lvl5. So there cannot be any "the raven pilot was better skilled" bullshit.

*Corrected a typo from last night meant six not seven...
Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#2494 - 2013-11-30 18:37:42 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Zamyslinski wrote:
No to TE and TC for launchers,

Guys do you even know what youre saying?

where are you going to put those on your caracal?

low slots are already filled with bcs nanos dmg controls, caldari ships need the shield mods amarr need the webs.

just change ammo as someone sugested before or do something with the formulas,

no need for aditional mods for those, unless you want to get a 200 dps tengu with no tank etc

That is a very narrow minded opinion. I do know what I'm saying and it isn't ideal but it could be another "option" "choice" for those wanting to use Heavy Missiles. I don't think a trade off of losing a little dps (or a nano) for better tracking and range is too outrageous.
Raw DPS is not always the best option, if it was everyone would be flying torp fit ravens.

If missiles were true "GUIDED" missiles then why could they not be enhanced by better tracking and range as fitting options. I would gladly drop dps or a web if I knew my missiles were going to hit their target with better efficiency. Yes you need to make fitting trade off but then doesn't every other ship in eve?? Fit a tracking enhancer to a cane, you need to drop a gyro, fit a tracking computer to a brutix, you need to drop a web and so on. People do use these modules for guns so they must be worth the trade off.

Why should missiles be the only weapon system that doesn't offer tracking and range enhancements (at a cost)?

I see no problem with rapid launchers. These are larger launchers that fire smaller missiles, which is why they had such a large charge size, equivalent to the dual 150mm or dual 180's that can shred frigs. They couldve simply removed that range bonus that the caracal, the only ship that uses rapid lights, had

I agree with some of what you are saying. As for those who were suggesting that td's effect missiles, no. They shouldn't. Td's effect the actual turrets, missile launchers do nothing but house self guided projectiles. Two entirely different systems. There is already a way to disrupt missiles, but its trash. Defender missiles are utterly useless. They use up a high slot and in addition most likely need more than one to effect any incoming damage. Instead, there should be a mid or low slot flare system that would have a 20-30% chance of diverting incoming missiles.

Long term:
There is a larger problem here. A problem missile systems above lights, and caldari ships above destroyers have in general. HM's a terrible outside of high sec pve. Anything with an afterburner will receive only 20-30% of the damge you dish out. For some odd reason ccp has not only one, but two factors that reduce HM damage output. 1, Explosion radius, fine a smaller radius mean better applied damage like the sig radius on turrets. 2. Explosion velocity. Anything moving faster than the 150-170m/s explo velocity will not take any damage.Meaning the only thing you can really apply damage to is bs's and freighters. Plop on an ab and its over.
My suggestion:

1. Ties explosion velocity with velocity of missile. If you target is moving faster than the missile plus the explosion velocity, then you would see a damage reduction. The guy doing 4k /sec, away from your missiles will take reduced damage.

2. Increase HM velocity, decrease flight time so that range in the same. Why, in the 10-15+ secs it takes you missile to reach the guys your shooting at from 30-50+km he will not be there, and thus your missiles disappear into the great black wilderness. Which is why people mostly use hams, trading terrible range to actually apply damage.

3. INCREASE EXPLOSION VELOCITY AND DECREASE EXPLOSION RADIUS SO THAT HEAVY MISSILES, WHICH ARE MEDIUM CRUISER WEAPONS CAN HIT CRUISERS!

4. Give them better agility so they wont spiral out of control trying to hit something. or better yet make a new skill specifically for that.

Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2495 - 2013-11-30 18:41:30 UTC
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
Does that answer your question?

Not really. Ravens only have 6 missile slots...

Vincintius Agrippa
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#2496 - 2013-11-30 19:14:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincintius Agrippa
Also, buff caldari ships above destroyer. Caldari BC's and battleships are outclassed. No one in Caldari Militia uses them. We all use Amarr, Gallente and Minmatar in that order, except maybe a sniper naga. The scorp is an ecm boat, weve got a blacbird for that. the Rokh is laughed at by the megathron and friends, and the raven is a pve ship. sorry. The drake is a slow tug boat usefull only in high sec. Ive been in fw for over 6 months. Ive only seen drakes on 3 occasions: hub bashing, at that was 4 months ago. The ferox is utter trash. It has a hybrid range bonus oooooooh. most people i know that have flown the ferox just pop 425mm autocannons on and call it a day. these shield ships already have the potential risk with cap, so adding hybrids with a ****** bonus doesnt really help.

Buff shield ships.
Buff Caldari ships in general
Less penalties for shield extenders.
More HP for shield Extenders, they should approach 1600's
buff cruise missiles. We should be able to hit all bs and bcs at full damage, and hit cruisers at half. Should be equivalent to other turret based ships.I
I
I Arrow P.S, give us a pvp caldari battleship, not faction, that has 8 launcher hard points, 7 Mid slots, and 4 Low slots :) and 50Mbit drone bandwidth
must have exposion radius bonus and a rate of fire bonus, if you un nerf rapid heavies, then i'll take rof and a shield resist or something.

oh yeah, nerf CM range by lets say 20 km if you want.
Only YOU can prevent internet bullying!
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2497 - 2013-11-30 20:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Vincintius Agrippa wrote:
Also, buff caldari ships above destroyer. Caldari BC's and battleships are outclassed. No one in Caldari Militia uses them. We all use Amarr, Gallente and Minmatar in that order, except maybe a sniper naga. The scorp is an ecm boat, weve got a blacbird for that. the Rokh is laughed at by the megathron and friends, and the raven is a pve ship. sorry. The drake is a slow tug boat usefull only in high sec. Ive been in fw for over 6 months. Ive only seen drakes on 3 occasions: hub bashing, at that was 4 months ago. The ferox is utter trash. It has a hybrid range bonus oooooooh. most people i know that have flown the ferox just pop 425mm autocannons on and call it a day. these shield ships already have the potential risk with cap, so adding hybrids with a ****** bonus doesnt really help.

Buff shield ships.
Buff Caldari ships in general
Less penalties for shield extenders.
More HP for shield Extenders, they should approach 1600's
buff cruise missiles. We should be able to hit all bs and bcs at full damage, and hit cruisers at half. Should be equivalent to other turret based ships.I
I
I Arrow P.S, give us a pvp caldari battleship, not faction, that has 8 launcher hard points, 7 Mid slots, and 4 Low slots :) and 50Mbit drone bandwidth
must have exposion radius bonus and a rate of fire bonus, if you un nerf rapid heavies, then i'll take rof and a shield resist or something.

oh yeah, nerf CM range by lets say 20 km if you want.

I would be happy to comment extensively on all of this, IF you start another thread with this, as honestly, its off topic for the most part here. Please don't forget Minmitar have a ship that can use the RLML with a bonus as well and are also affected by the missile mechanics on a lot of their ships.

tl:dr Caldari have some advantages as well as drawbacks - the fact everyone keeps trying to fly them like armor boats, doesn't mean they suck, just that people are trained into one way of thinking. With a little creativity and a good set of pilots - Caldari can be utterly deadly. I've tried twice now to recruit those pilots and got damn close this second time, but real life and burn out meant I stopped. One day I will try again to fly an all Caldari fleet and video to show how great they truly can be.

PS. Yes the Ferox is an utter lemon.

Kenshi Hanshin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#2498 - 2013-11-30 21:53:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Kenshi Hanshin
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:
Does that answer your question?

Not really. Ravens only have 6 missile slots...

Sorry about that, was a bit late and after thanksgiving dinner so my apologies for the typo.

I would disagree with you there. It was a designed test with ideal situation. It clearly shows that Turrets out-damage missiles for anything within what is generally considered engagement range. The only time that missiles out-do turrets is when you have something orbiting at 3km/s. Which really would mean that you have bigger problems at that point.

Hyperion has a sizeable drone bay and bandwidth. Therefore, this ship really wouldn't be hurting too bad in the worst case. The domi is built around drone damage. Properly fitted the domi will pulverize that rifter at just about any range.

For the raven the applied 79-DPS is still too low to break any decently fitted PvP frigate's tank. No matter what you argue. That is with precision CMs too. Now I am not saying that CMs should blap frigs with one shot. Yet, it definitely points out a major disparity between the turret's applied-damage and the missile. According to EFT and EVEHQ and EVE the missile had the higher volley damage (~2x the turret's volley damage). Yet, it will lose over 90% of that damage on a freaking frigate heading right at it using a MWD, with a sig-radius the size of a 'cruiser.'

This problem is glaringly obvious for all T2 Precision missiles that are larger than LMs. This would include the HMLs that we have all been complaining about now for over 3-months. Anyone that uses missiles outside of PvE will very rapidly learn that their damage application is crap. It doesn't matter if my volley damage is higher than the turret-ship if I lose 50% or more. That is even before counting in the resistance of the target's shields or armor.

The bottom line is that if CCP Rise used EFT like he claimed the issues with HMs, CMs, HAMs and Torps is obvious. My 6yr old can even see that the missiles are broken. This is a kid in the 1st Grade that is doing simple arithmetic (adding/subtraction) in school. Once again, I am going to state that CCP and their employees have no damn excuse for not realizing the issue.

Keep in mind that EFT estimates on a best-case. Thus EFT values are always higher than what the reality will be on the EVE servers. It is the same thing for the EveHQ software as well. However, EveHQ attempts to estimate at what the Eve-actual value will be.

Is the point I was making clear now that I have expanded it?

*Note: Derate the EFT values by 10-25% you are much closer to the real values. The real value will be between the 10% and 25% deratings. But it is easier to run the derate calculations with those two numbers. Both will give a good estimation of the real dps.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2499 - 2013-11-30 22:25:39 UTC
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:

I guess I'm understandably curious why you wouldn't just use the new RHMLs with 3 rigors.

scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#2500 - 2013-11-30 22:30:20 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kenshi Hanshin wrote:

I guess I'm understandably curious why you wouldn't just use the new RHMLs with 3 rigors.

My understanding is that Kenshi is showing the vast disparity in the application of damage of 3 different battleships in a best case scenario against a smaller target to highlight to problems underlying missiles as a whole and not just RLMLs.
The test shows the reason that Caldari pilots are often exasperated and told to cross-train to be useful outside of PVE, missiles don't aren't as flexible as they appear (or as Bouh would have us believe). But since I am not Kenshi, I could easily be wrong about the full intent of the test and am not trying to speak for Kenshi.