These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2401 - 2013-11-29 10:39:38 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Also, just put rigor rigs on your missiles ships. They are *always* better than than flare. As a missile user you should know that.

Not always. Because of fitting stats and stacking penalties sometimes is more reasonable to add T2 Flare than a T1 Rigor.
GlueShooz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2402 - 2013-11-29 10:43:50 UTC
A lot of great information in this thread but I'm not sure where you guys are getting into these big open field fights. I have two FW toons and they're getting into fights within 9 km of their opponents, frequently less than 5 km (not by my choice, that's the usual range of the inevitable pirate gank). Trying to blast your way out of a gate gank is even closer range. RLML used to be a good delivery system in pvp and pve. Now it sucks. And it's pointed straight at the Caldari.

Caldari ships are mostly missile ships. CCP nerfed the principal tool of the lighter Caldari navy.: and that's all that gets into it in most FW battles. I haven't seen BC in a plex fight yet. Was this nerf the result of the Caldari ruling in PVP? Nope. They were losing to Gallente. Apparently the Caldari just plain had it coming.

Honestly the calculations you all are making are intriguing but they have no bearing upon pvp I'm experiencing.

In PVE the RLML is now useless. You used to be able to put out a steady stream of missiles with a couple RLML's. You sacrificed range on the Drake but gained close in/frig defense. That's gone. I'm training up HAM but they're power hogs, their explosive radius is about 4x your average frigate's profile and their range is inexplicably low (a bigger missile has less range?).

The RLML nerf was excessive, unnecessary and very sided.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2403 - 2013-11-29 11:12:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Niena Nuamzzar wrote:
Not always. Because of fitting stats and stacking penalties sometimes is more reasonable to add T2 Flare than a T1 Rigor.

There aren't any stacking penalties for rigors or flares, just CPU penalties. And I don't have the link handy (the discussion is somewhere at the beginning of the original RHML thread), but the way missile mechanics work is that an explosion radius smaller than the target signature will also offset target velocity to some extent, whereas flares just apply to target velocity. That's why an explosion radius bonus is worth substantially more than an explosion velocity bonus and one reason RLMLs were so deadly in certain configurations.

The problem with utilizing rigors is that while, yes - you do improve your damage application - this comes at the expense of tank. Again, something a passive/low Ballistic Enhancer would change immeasurably.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2404 - 2013-11-29 13:09:57 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And finaly, just notice how insanley better RLML are to shoot at frigates.
Please edit to read "Frigate", you only get to shoot at 1 before having to warp out for your 40 second reload. Just hope 1 of those pesky ceptors doesn't catch you 1st or you'll be reading your killmail instead of reloading.

Quote:
Now, I'm not completely sure about the balance of HML, but realise a 2BCS Caracal will hit a MWDing Thorax (an attack cruiser) for 165dps @90km.
Ahh the ideal world of eve pvp, where you target is mwding around a wreck well outside his range but nicely in yours.
HML's need to be balanced, especially now RLML has such a limited area of use.

Not really sure what the point of your post was as the post you quoted was based on the more realistic use of HML Caracal vs frigate using Precision missiles, which have a range of 47 not 90k. So less DPS, less range.

Maybe you could redo your graphs and for comparison. Use a HML Caracal vs a range of ships you are likely to encounter. All I can see from your Caracal graph is it does 50DPS up to 95k vs what i presume to be a fast moving frigate.. If that is in fact the case, then i think it should be quite clear HML's need a buff as most 1 month old rookies could tank 50 dps all day, or simply warp off. As missiles do the same damage at 90k as they do at 20k does that not sort of mean those missiles aren't very good??

**I don't know where you pvp but around my way, every 2nd ship is minmatar. Can get very annoying Shocked
Your world is noobish. Sometimes, in a cruiser fight, you can have logi and EWAR ships 50km behind their main fleet while yes the brawl is within 10km of each other. You also can use long range fire support, where ABC are indeed much better, but cruisers are cheapers and a HML Caracal is be far vulnerable to frigates than a Naga which will die if one frigate come below 50km of him.

And now and then you still find a medium range fleet with MWDing shield cruisers and 30 to 50km operating range.

And if you need a short range missiles system, look at HAM. They are far from bad.

All in all, if you don't find any use for missiles strength, that's *your* problem, because in the game, they do have strengths.

Now, since the medium LR turrets buff, HML might need a small buff, but I'm not even sure about that. Turret ships make huge sacrifices to shoot at the ranges HML can naturally reach. On a long range fit, HML ship can just stack BCS and some rigs, and they are fine while turrets need a load of TC and TE and are still extremely vulnerable to frigates closing in. Both weapon systems have their advantages and drawback, and LR missiles are more long range than turrets which are more medium range, with HAM at their lower border, but they all have their niche.

See this post for RLML specifically.
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2405 - 2013-11-29 13:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Now, to the interesting post of Moonaura

First, thank you for taking the time to look at numbers. But you're still missing a bit of distance to these numbers to understand what they mean. But before, a few remarks :
First, why did you took a target Stabber ? I'm affraid the Stabber is a lot more popular in missiles thread for missiles user to "demonstrate" the limits of their weapons than in game, but the worst is that it is a dishonnest choice, because the Stabber is one of the cruiser with the best speed/sig ratio, and one of the lightest on top of that.

A couple of reasons. First, it is fair to say that Minmitar ships are pretty popular in the game, and I'm going to take a stab in the dark, that the stabber is among one of the most popular (see what I did there? :). It's reasonable to suggest it is a ship a Caracal pilot would come across. And secondly, I picked it because I was demonstrating the current issues with the Heavy Precision Missiles, which are essentially behind the reason why the RLML became popular. I'm also not finished showing more information on other ship types yet.

You don't use missiles, but when fighting a faster, low signature ship, you're immediately going to switch to precision missiles. That is the smart choice.

These missiles are designed to hit both frigates and faster cruisers. That is their role.

When you load them, you also take a range and DPS drop. Its significant.

• Compared to Faction Heavy Missiles, you lose around 50% of your missile range.

• Compared to Fury Heavy Missiles - the best DPS for Precisions is 288- you lose 94 DPS before a single missile is fired.

• Sadly even Faction only do 284 DPS. Hardly thrilling, but then you get the range on those and I will point out something else interesting about those later.

All of these compromises are made up for the fact that Precision Missiles are supposed to hit better.

But they don't.

Even with a Caracal using Rigor and Flare rigs, three BCU and T2 launchers, you only hit the Stabber with the MWD for 197 DPS. Thats a drop of 111 DPS against a large signature target - with rigs in.

Against an AB fit Stabber it gets far worse. DPS drops to just 122. Over half the DPS of the missile, using the right missiles, against the right target.

They are pathetic.

Against a frigate - lets use your last Incursus loss as the fit, which used an afterburner, plate and a single active tank, the DPS drops down to just 69 dps.

If I use a target painter, it jumps to 83 DPS. That is the best we can do in a Caracal with Precision missiles. As shown previously, the Thorax can do way more damage across more ranges than the Caracal, and can also web and fit more DPS modules if you wished.

You wanted to see the Precisions against a Thorax? A ship it should absolutely hit well for sure.

Well, without the rigs and target painter, even those don't hit a MWD Thorax for full damage, doing just 215 DPS. If you overload your MWD - which is what you'd do to get in range if you didn't have Rails, then that is 175 DPS.

With a target painter, we can hit the full damage of the missile 248 DPS. It is worth considering however, that a double tanked Thorax can easily tank that level of DPS - and that is before resistances are a factor. In other words, it would only need a single rep to tank those missiles, and probably not even permanently. With the average resistance considered, DPS drops to 114 for the Caracal with Precisions.

The Thorax with Rails on, reaching the same range as the missiles, switching the tracking script to range - will hit the Caracal for less damage - absolutely - 28 dps less at its peak, and around 40 dps overall. But this is in a perfect counter orbit. If you change the angles and velocities - i.e. if you're chasing the Caracal - the DPS increases - and can even surpass the missiles.

But there is an elephant in the room for the Thorax.

The Drones.

Add those in, and the DPS of the thorax can jump to 392 DPS. Over a third more than the Caracal (which can only use two lights or a medium drone).

This is on a Thorax without any DPS modules at all. Just tracking and a painter, and not even with the best DPS rail guns.

Again, in EVE, the Thorax would win this fight. It can tank the Caracal's DPS, can hit it almost as well with its guns over the same range - and in a kite scenario - almost perfectly - Uranium Faction btw and changed the tracking computer script range. It had a target painter, MWD and disruptor fit in the mids. It can also shoot far further than the missiles if you wanted to do so. I haven't put in any rigs.

Please also remember in my previous post I pointed out that against a fast small signature cruiser - the Rails do far better than the missiles at hitting the target.

I have yet to discuss the RLML DPS and Mechanics, but it is definitely something I want to cover. Unlike Heavy Precisions, Light Precisions are very good. Its clear why they became popular given how bad Heavy Precisions are.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2406 - 2013-11-29 13:37:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
The thing I wanted to put out about Faction heavy missiles, is they actually compare very closely to precision T2 missiles. Close enough in fact, that actually loading precision heavy missiles, is never worth it. They hit Frigates for almost the same, and hit fast Cruisers for almost the same.

They have twice the range of precision missiles, and overall slightly more DPS on paper which can be used against larger ships.

Again this underlines the fact that precision missiles don't work or do what they are supposed to do.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2407 - 2013-11-29 13:50:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

All in all, if you don't find any use for missiles strength, that's *your* problem, because in the game, they do have strengths.

Now, since the medium LR turrets buff, HML might need a small buff, but I'm not even sure about that. Turret ships make huge sacrifices to shoot at the ranges HML can naturally reach. On a long range fit, HML ship can just stack BCS and some rigs, and they are fine while turrets need a load of TC and TE and are still extremely vulnerable to frigates closing in. Both weapon systems have their advantages and drawback, and LR missiles are more long range than turrets which are more medium range, with HAM at their lower border, but they all have their niche.

My last two long posts have shown how that isn't the case. Rails can happily out perform missiles at all range varieties in that scenario, and certainly a Thorax is far more flexible and effective as a ship than the Caracal.

But you state these things as if they are facts without showing us why this is so. Given you don't fly missile ships and have never fired one, you're coming at this with a very strong opinion on how effective they are and claiming we don't know what we're doing. I appreciate when missiles are hitting the hull of your Thorax, you might feel aggrieved that they are somehow overpowered, but as I've shown you repeatedly, Rail Guns typically out perform missiles, and that is before you add ANY DPS modules and after you've added Three BCU's and Missile Rigs and a Target Painter to the Caracal.

Given that the PVP you are doing in Faction Warfare takes place around Plex's, a Thorax and Incursus can dictate the terms of a fight by camping the acceleration gate entrance, so as a missile ship, you're at an immediate advantage of being scrammed, webbed and finding blasters easily out DPS'ing you into tiny pieces.

In a more open environment, a Thorax might have to overload its MWD and try to get closer for peak damage, but with Rails and Drones it can still out damage the Caracal while it is doing so, and if a Caracal runs, your guns do far more damage to it as you give chase, than if it was in orbit while its missiles do far less damage against your now much faster Thorax overloading, because the missiles struggle against speed.

If you want to fit a true long range thorax, the potential is there, although clearly the Moa is a better boat for that role.

Quite simply, if Missile boats were so good as you suggest, your corporation would retrain to fly them. That is exactly why everyone used to fly Drakes.

The tests I've done show that the Light Precision missiles are very good however, and I want to discuss those more.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2408 - 2013-11-29 14:14:51 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And finaly, just notice how insanley better RLML are to shoot at frigates.
Please edit to read "Frigate", you only get to shoot at 1 before having to warp out for your 40 second reload. Just hope 1 of those pesky ceptors doesn't catch you 1st or you'll be reading your killmail instead of reloading.

Quote:
Now, I'm not completely sure about the balance of HML, but realise a 2BCS Caracal will hit a MWDing Thorax (an attack cruiser) for 165dps @90km.
Ahh the ideal world of eve pvp, where you target is mwding around a wreck well outside his range but nicely in yours.
HML's need to be balanced, especially now RLML has such a limited area of use.

Not really sure what the point of your post was as the post you quoted was based on the more realistic use of HML Caracal vs frigate using Precision missiles, which have a range of 47 not 90k. So less DPS, less range.

Maybe you could redo your graphs and for comparison. Use a HML Caracal vs a range of ships you are likely to encounter. All I can see from your Caracal graph is it does 50DPS up to 95k vs what i presume to be a fast moving frigate.. If that is in fact the case, then i think it should be quite clear HML's need a buff as most 1 month old rookies could tank 50 dps all day, or simply warp off. As missiles do the same damage at 90k as they do at 20k does that not sort of mean those missiles aren't very good??

**I don't know where you pvp but around my way, every 2nd ship is minmatar. Can get very annoying Shocked
Your world is noobish. Sometimes, in a cruiser fight, you can have logi and EWAR ships 50km behind their main fleet while yes the brawl is within 10km of each other. You also can use long range fire support, where ABC are indeed much better, but cruisers are cheapers and a HML Caracal is be far vulnerable to frigates than a Naga which will die if one frigate come below 50km of him.

And now and then you still find a medium range fleet with MWDing shield cruisers and 30 to 50km operating range.

And if you need a short range missiles system, look at HAM. They are far from bad.

Ok now I'm not sure whether you are being deliberately insulting or simply don't read what it is your responding to.. NOWHERE in the post you initially responded to or the one in which you decided to try and insult me was there mention of fleets.. We were specifically talking about solo, small gang 2-3 members.. The dynamics are entirely different to what you are describing with logi ewar etc.

The discussion was not about whether turrets are better or worse than HML's it was about getting a usable alternative to the RLML. I and most others in this thread believe HML's need a buff and if fleet doctrines (you like fleets) are anything to go by, HML's do indeed need a buff. I don't know of 1 major alliance using HML's in any doctrine. The HML nerf killed the drake HML doctrine, as far as I'm aware nothing has changed since then, HML's are not widely used due to extremely poor damage application.

Please, read the thread you are posting in.. Try responding to the post not change its content with your opinion of what it should be about, Oh and when you do read it, you might just see THIS IS THE RLML SPECIFIC THREAD YOU LINKED FOR ME TO READ. I have been posting in the thread for over 2 weeks.

You want to highjack a thread for your own agenda please find another.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2409 - 2013-11-29 14:15:19 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
The thing I wanted to put out about Faction heavy missiles, is they actually compare very closely to precision T2 missiles. Close enough in fact, that actually loading precision heavy missiles, is ever worth it. They hit Frigates for almost the same, and hit fast Cruisers for almost the same.

They have twice the range of precision missiles, and overall slightly more DPS on paper.

Again this underlines the fact that precision missiles don't work or do what they are supposed to do.
That is an important thing to underline a problem I can see.

On the other hand, hiting a painted AB Incursus for 80dps to be a lot in fact, because a turret ship won't hit this incursus, like never if the incursus have tackle on the cruiser ; and 80dps is what a frigate will do at 8km, and it's more than enough to kill the said frigate in a minute or two.

And for the Stabber, my mistake if it's more popular than what I think (I don't see them a lot in my area), yet what threat to your Caracal is it ? Stabber has a rather weak tank and poor dps because of its high speed. And the same goes for frigate : you are basicaly complaining that you won't kill them fast enough, because eventhough it might take you some time considering the low tank of the ennemy ship, your tank will allow you to still win the engagement if he doesn't disengage.

And you still miss the big picture with your virtual duels, which is the question of what your ship will be used for. Is it ranged dps ? Frigate interdiction ? Cruiser fleet dps ? What will be your range of operation ? Basicaly, a missile ship will have one or two fits for all these roles whereas each turret fit must be very specific. Yet even missiles can't do everything with one fit and the endemic problem you seem to suffer is that you want to do everything with one fit.

For example, the best weapon to hunt down this railgun Thorax would be HAML. On a Caracal, HAML have ~20-25km range which mean you'll either tackle and kill the Thorax, because these will apply their dps, or warp off.

Basicaly, HAM will be the missiles of choice for <25km engagement whereas HM will be better for longer ranges. RLML will be anti-frigate support.

Also, numbers on an AB anything are moot as the AB function is to reduce missile damage. And keep in mind that rigs are importants, as the tanking rigs above all have rather big effects on missiles and turrets damage application, because they basicaly counter speed tanking.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2410 - 2013-11-29 14:25:23 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
The thing I wanted to put out about Faction heavy missiles, is they actually compare very closely to precision T2 missiles. Close enough in fact, that actually loading precision heavy missiles, is never worth it. They hit Frigates for almost the same, and hit fast Cruisers for almost the same.

They have twice the range of precision missiles, and overall slightly more DPS on paper which can be used against larger ships.

They also cost 4X what precision do. ( I know cost is not relevant in pvp)
Sadly Precision missiles are lacking all round, except in price, I had found the same when running missions with my RLML Caracal, Navies where better at hitting the harder to kill frigates than precisions.
I don't have all 5's so any edge I could get I took, although forgetting to switch back after killing the frigate would have a big impact on profit from the mission Roll

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2411 - 2013-11-29 14:25:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Given you have gone back to an old post, that I never replied too, I wanted to address that, given you brought it back up.

Bouh Revetoile wrote:
The thing with battleships was exactly what I was saying. 3 BS can't go in a gang of hafly competent cruisers under gate guns and have any hope to survive.

Bouh, honestly mate. Just go on youtube and you can watch dozens and dozens of solo battleships taking out entire gangs of cruisers. Let alone three battleships!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiX7N5OyTYE - this is hilarious - why can't I ever find people like this when I solo roam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQDoOJLlHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF0BYX_OuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=faFt86AzYzM

The last one is a Raven killing frigates. Hilariously, if you look at the numbers, the Raven hits frigates better than the Caracal when fit properly.

The reason our two battleships failed to kill the cruisers was because I'd over tanked and under tracked. This is the issue with the Rokh, to get a really epic active tank, you don't have many mid slots left.

The engagement, in other words, taught me a lot, but thanks to Hyperion popping, we still came out on top on efficiency.

tl:dr - Battleships can kill cruisers - and frigates just fine.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2412 - 2013-11-29 14:45:26 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Ok now I'm not sure whether you are being deliberately insulting or simply don't read what it is your responding to.. NOWHERE in the post you initially responded to or the one in which you decided to try and insult me was there mention of fleets.. We were specifically talking about solo, small gang 2-3 members.. The dynamics are entirely different to what you are describing with logi ewar etc.
A fleet start with two people, and with 5 of them, you can benefit a lot from EWAR.

Oh, and in small gangs like that, long range weapons are not prefered, because they lack the punch to kill the ennemy fast and go away before renforcement arrive. Why would you want to use a weapon with 90km range if you only need to shoot in scram range ?

EVE is not an arena game, and range is very useful in a lot of situations in the game. If someone tackled the target already, range is invaluable. Oh, and you don't need tackle if you plan to shoot beyond 25km. A TP would replace the point with lots of benefits. For point range, you have HAM.

Also, my corp is focusing on armor fleets, because it's gallente flavour, but befor we ran in the problem that one of our FC like to run shield fleets, and in these caldari ships always were the best choice : Moa and Caracal are damn good T1 cruisers for fleets with HAML and railguns, and focusing primaries is insanely easier with medium range weapons than with blasters.

Oh, and I linked my post, not the thread.

Moonaura wrote:
In a more open environment, a Thorax might have to overload its MWD and try to get closer for peak damage, but with Rails and Drones it can still out damage the Caracal while it is doing so, and if a Caracal runs, your guns do far more damage to it as you give chase, than if it was in orbit while its missiles do far less damage against your now much faster Thorax overloading, because the missiles struggle against speed.

If you want to fit a true long range thorax, the potential is there, although clearly the Moa is a better boat for that role.
Even a Moa won't beat a Caracal for sniping ranges, and beyond 40km a Caracal will often be far better than the Thorax when you consider everything (tank, dps, vulnerability at short range). But yes, between 25 and 40-45 km, railguns are arguably better than missiles, if you can work around their drawbacks. They would be OP if they were, like before, better at all ranges.

And I'm talking here about balance : balance is not when a weapon is good for your taste, balance is when all weapons have a distinct niche where they can be prefered over all other weapons.

And in this point of view, RLML were used in place of HML, HAML and destroyers, depending on the situation. That was a huge overlap on too many things. That was OP.

HAML and HML both have some advantages you can exploits to prefer them to turrets. The objective is not to make turrets always better than them but for both turrets and missiles to have balanced advantages over each other.

And when we talk about HML, the often overlooked ability is the lack of tracking which allow to threaten a frigate who just tackled you while you were hammering her friends at long range. An LR turret in this situation is dead, plain and simple.

And finaly, on the drones of the Thorax, yes, this is an ability of gallente ships which make them slightly better than caldari ships for solo, small gangs and harrassment tactics than caldari ships. Caldari ships have other abilities like sensor range and large shields which make them better than gallente for fleets and long range duties.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2413 - 2013-11-29 14:49:30 UTC
Moonaura wrote:
Indeed, and cruisers can kill battleships and frigates just fine ; and frigates can kill cruisers just fine, but for battleship you need to be careful with smartbombs.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2414 - 2013-11-29 15:33:09 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
A fleet start with two people, and with 5 of them, you can benefit a lot from EWAR.

Oh, and in small gangs like that, long range weapons are not prefered, because they lack the punch to kill the ennemy fast and go away before renforcement arrive. Why would you want to use a weapon with 90km range if you only need to shoot in scram range ?

I do wish you would go back and read the posts prior to the one you responded to.. You have taken what was being discussed misinterpreted it and now seem intent on completely derailing it .

The small gang I fly with does indeed fly ships with a potential 90k range (with HML's), 3 of us flew RLML Caracals as anti frigate ships.. Which oddly enough is what we were discussing.

My opinions are mine.

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2415 - 2013-11-29 15:40:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
That is an important thing to underline a problem I can see.

On the other hand, hiting a painted AB Incursus for 80dps to be a lot in fact, because a turret ship won't hit this incursus, like never if the incursus have tackle on the cruiser ; and 80dps is what a frigate will do at 8km, and it's more than enough to kill the said frigate in a minute or two.

Buoh, you're a good chap, I'll say this for you, you're getting the best out of my time replying to you on this thread, and hopefully this will help CCP Rise see some of the underlying issues facing missiles - wait are you a secret CCP Rise alt trolling me? lol

So to be clear, you're saying a gun based Cruiser can't hit an AB Incursus as well as the terrible missiles?

Which ship would you like me to show you that isn't the case with?

I know you fly the Thorax so let us begin.

With a tracking computer with speed script, tracking enhancer and a web - all of which are easily doable on this boat, with anti matter and Heavy Electron Blasters, you will hit for 90 dps peak at 5km with faction Anti Matter. That is with both ships at 70% of their speed and I haven't turned on any propulsion in the Thorax, as if its being brawled by an Incursus, there is little point. Overall I would say the missiles are indeed better, but I've not added a few things.

No rigs, and no DPS modules.

And no Drones - something the Thorax gets a lot from. Add even medium drones, and DPS hits 240 on the Thorax against your Incursus. Granted you can shoot the drones, but I can also improve the gun situation. If I stop moving in the Thorax and let the Incursus do its thing around me, tracking improves, Now I do 282 peak DPS in total.

If you are approaching or moving away from me in any form, the tracking changes completely and I start to do close to full gun damage. Which is how you should fly the Thorax, constantly going towards and away from your target to get the best tracking.

With wee tiny Electron Blasters I can get better tracking, and with Void ammo, if you got within their range, I'd do 134 dps or there abouts. Still better than the missiles. Blasters are a funny thing though, even with Lead in they still don't reach much further, but with the smallest guns in, and the lowest DPS ammo, you can still do more DPS than the missiles from a three BCU Caracal with Precision Heavy missiles in. That is without drones.

Now, given I guess you're orbiting around 9 or so KM with your Incurus right? Given the range of your guns, if I pop in Javelins, I can hit you with the rails for around 168 dps. That is just with the guns. That is twice that of the heavy precision missiles.

Again, Rails are very good anti-frigate guns as long as you control your fight, which with a web or two is very easy to do. So the Rail Thorax is basically your best all round Anti-Frigate cruiser. Combine them with their drones and you have, technically, a very decent boat that can easily out DPS a Caracal with Precision Heavy Missiles. You can either tank it or add more DPS, given its anti-frigate, a buffer tank and EANM and a DPS module seem to make sense in this configuration, but you can active tank them instead.

The RLML Caracal is another story though. The old one at least.

Before the recent changes, it could do 190 dps peak damage in a typical Caracal across 33km. It hit almost all targets well, and it would certainly hit your Incursus for full damage almost every time, AB or not. It only does less damage against kiting frigates, like a Condor, but those ships can also burn away from a Caracal if flown well.

It only has two light drones. With Hob's in, it does 225 dps peak. Very solid.

But that number is still not as high as the peak rail damage Thorax with drones, which can reach 318 at 6 km and 260 dps at longer ranges 25km)

Overall then, the Caracal is simpler, and without question more effective in a broader sense, mainly because of its range and consistent damage, but only against frigates. But flown well and fit right, an Anti Frigate Thorax can easily out damage it, and both chasing or running away from targets, will do far more damage - painfully so, while doing more better peak damage in orbits if you pick the right ammo.

Given that the Caracal then, is a one trick pony in this fit, and cannot do the better damage against Cruisers than it can against frigate, that the Thorax happily can (typically twice the DPS), its fair to say the Caracal is a bit limited with a RLML fit.

It best role, is anti-frigate, without question in this configuration. At least it was... Those numbers on the Caracal are now a thing of the past, and now, on average when you take into account the reload time, the new RLML will only do 153 dps against your incursus - and that is before accounting for your resists.

That is where the nerf comes in. Overall they do less DPS, and the don't fire for 40 seconds. Sure it does a peak DPS of 285, but this is still not as good as what Rails and Drones can reach without a burst mode.

As demonstrated, the Thorax has none of these drawbacks, does more DPS, has more fitting flexibility, and can reload or change ammo in 5 seconds.

My advice Bouh. Keep flying Gallente.

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2416 - 2013-11-29 15:41:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Moonaura wrote:
Indeed, and cruisers can kill battleships and frigates just fine ; and frigates can kill cruisers just fine, but for battleship you need to be careful with smartbombs.

They don't need smartbombs to be able to kill Frigates. See Raven video. Guns can do the same at those ranges. And I'll have to look at, probably with guns close in if you fit right.

ALSO.

Consider that all the DPS numbers I've given you don't take into account resistances. So if the Heavy Precision missile does 80 dps and you have 50% resistance to it, it only does 40 dps in reality.

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2417 - 2013-11-29 15:54:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
If anyone wants to test these fits out, happy to give it a go on Sisi. I also have a TS3 we can use. E-mail is the best bet.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#2418 - 2013-11-29 16:18:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Moonaura wrote:
killing AB incursus in a Thorax
You are far from reality here. An AB frigate, whatever its guns, will never orbit a cruiser at 5km. Against a cruiser, you dive with 500m orbit, and overload the AB as long as you are not in there.

With scram+web, the cruiser is not gonna move a bit compared to the frigate, and 3 slots tank Thorax is light tank or slow 1600mm plate + trimark (what is the speed of this one ? something like 1600-1700m/s with MWD I'd say...)

So, even webed, the Incursus going at 300m/s orbiting at 500m will never be hit by the Thorax, and will have plenty of time to kill the drones. And that is if you are lucky enough for the Incursus to not manually orbit at less than 500m.

And with a web, your rail Thorax is in web range. And I bet everything on the frigate in a fight vs a rail cruiser in scram range, unless the frig pilot make huge mistakes.

Also, my goto frigate would have MWD+scram+web. Against such frigate, a LR turret cruiser have absolutely no chance. It's just tackle and profit.

Also, TD, Condor and Atron like them a lot.

The only T1 cruisers which might not be affraid of frigates are Caracal and Vexor, and the first will be better than the second because drones can be killed, that's as simple as that.

In fact, most of your turret cruiser vs anything scenario are *very* optimistic in favor of the turret cruiser. You never consider what could go wrong, and a lot of things often go wrong in a fact.

So as I already said, if you are pro enough to be sure that nothing is going to be wrong, the only reason you should use missiles is for the longest ranges (>60km). Otherwise, indeed turrets are always better because you discarded all the things which could go wrong.

But in the actual game, when you see a turret cruiser, it's either a bait or he have a lot of cruiser friends around him, because except for the Caracal and Vexor, a lone cruiser is often a prey for frigates.
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#2419 - 2013-11-29 16:25:12 UTC
If your Incursus is going to dive in and get in and try to sit at 500m, why are you fitting Rails on your Incursus then? They don't hit anything like as well at that close range.

If I fit blasters on the Thorax instead, I am absolutely still going to eat you alive at those close ranges, especially if I bring webs. As I said. I'm available for tests on Sisi.

Dr Sraggles
The Covenant of Blood
#2420 - 2013-11-29 16:36:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Sraggles
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Dr Sraggles wrote:
Yes, t1 AB frigs get hurt. They should get hurt by a ~$200++ mill dedicated anti Frig ship. He should have 20 $10 mill frigs on his killboard before he goes down or he's doing it wrong.

That's where you get wrong. AB frigates should not get hurt by a cruiser because you spent 200Misks in it, they should get hurt by destroyers.

And interceptors get hurt by destroyers and combat interceptors.

There's not only your precious missiles cruisers in the game. There are dozens of other ships.

And if your amazing Naga can indeed do 450dps to a frigate at 200km, please tell me how much he will do to any ship with any semblance of transversale speed below 100km, you the ranges where people actually fly in game.

Still waiting for the "ungodly dps" and range from a missile boat. Yes, the Naga can do exactly that at 200km. Maybe not 100% applied (because nothing is, in this game) but a gate sniping Naga stacks up the kills.

Btw, at 100Km transversal is nearly meaningless unless the ship is truly going fast. By the time the frig is aware he is getting shot at it is usually too late. And apparently you do not have enough game experience to use the "warp to at 100km" button that when you come in from your "safe" often puts you at ranges of up to 200km from the Naga that is sitting at 100km from the gate sniping with...wait for it....antimatter and doing even more dps.

And lastly, no my friend, that 200mill isk dedicated anti-frig ship should be better than a 10 mill T1 destroyer. Why? Because the player has spent several months on the train to make that ship better than a ship a rookie with 2 weeks in game can be sporting. In case you haven't figured it out CCP made the HAC version of the Caracal to kill frigs.

The rest of your post is just utter garbage and not even worth addressing. All that comes through is a pedant that cannot acknowledge that he cannot fly and hates missiles because all you have to do is maintain range and can neglect transversal. YES, that is true and why missiles are such crap DPS. But Medium Turrets can hit frigates and posts in this thread have clearly demonstrated that medium missiles cannot for meaningful dps.

Still waiting for one single post that is not from a nerf herder. My guess is I'll be waiting for awhile.