These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Classic: Almost Human

Author
Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-11-28 05:57:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Ila Gant
So only three episodes in and this show has risen to the top of my list for regular watching.

Only a few minutes into the pilot and I'm seeing Blade Runner on TV with freakishly cool music by The Crystal Method. The buddy relationship between the two main characters actually works. They feel like fully realized characters. This is really good television. Any one else watching Almost Human? What do you think?
Serdar Tyrnx
#2 - 2013-11-28 10:37:09 UTC
What is this television you speak of?
Rana Ash
Gradient
Electus Matari
#3 - 2013-11-28 13:00:23 UTC
Reading the synopsis, it reminded me a bit of Total Recall 2070
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#4 - 2013-11-28 14:21:05 UTC
Is there something truly unique about it ??

From descriptions it just seems like rehashed ideas already executed by Blade Runner over 30 years ago.

Zombie Shows are about the only other current alternative.

I want original SF ideas.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-11-28 15:49:28 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Is there something truly unique about it ??

From descriptions it just seems like rehashed ideas already executed by Blade Runner over 30 years ago.

Zombie Shows are about the only other current alternative.

I want original SF ideas.

What's unique about it at the moment is that it is well executed. It is a blending of elements from Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Fringe, and a fair touch of NYPD Blue. Like other J. J. Abrams vehicles it has a running mystery lurking in the background.

You can judge the show from the pilot which is available online or on demand.

I'm just happy to see another quality SF show that can dig into what makes us human.
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#6 - 2013-11-28 16:05:18 UTC
I have heard both good and bad about it so far, and I am going to wait and see if actually manages to live to a second season.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#7 - 2013-11-29 12:29:52 UTC
Show is too good (and must be expensive), I guess it will be closed after a season or two.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#8 - 2013-11-29 13:51:55 UTC
I don't know. I may just be getting old and cynical.

When the original Star trek debuted, there absolutely was not a list of 5 movies and TV shows that it "could be compared to". Neither was "Battlestar Galactica" in it's original 1978 incarnation.

It all just seems so derivative now of other material and properties. Replicants, zombies, teen vampires....for SF authors, these ideas were hoarfrost covered over 70 years ago. Is it not time to move on to some more original ideas ?

Great acting and high production values are pretty standard now with TV, thanks to things like "Boardwalk Empire" and "Game of Thrones", so that's not even really a novelty thing anymore.

I don't know. It just all seems so derivative.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#9 - 2013-11-29 14:02:52 UTC
Last SF TV show that had a little bit of originality that I watched was Fringe. It was decent but I would not rate it at the top.

Also humanoid robots have been done to death so nothing really new there.
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-11-29 17:33:45 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Last SF TV show that had a little bit of originality that I watched was Fringe. It was decent but I would not rate it at the top.

Also humanoid robots have been done to death so nothing really new there.

A society full of humanoid robots has only really been done in Asimov's print fiction. The I Robot movie gave some flavor but couldn't explore all the nooks and crannies. The TV series Mann and Machine did the android cop partner thing but Yancy Butler's character was unique in that fiction, like Data was nearly unique in ST:TNG.

Dismissing the show because you've seen elements of its execution before is like dismissing Blue Bloods because you've seen other cop shows before. Or the new Star Trek movies because you've seen ST:TOS.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-11-29 21:36:59 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
I don't know. I may just be getting old and cynical.

When the original Star trek debuted, there absolutely was not a list of 5 movies and TV shows that it "could be compared to". Neither was "Battlestar Galactica" in it's original 1978 incarnation.

It all just seems so derivative now of other material and properties. Replicants, zombies, teen vampires....for SF authors, these ideas were hoarfrost covered over 70 years ago. Is it not time to move on to some more original ideas ?

Great acting and high production values are pretty standard now with TV, thanks to things like "Boardwalk Empire" and "Game of Thrones", so that's not even really a novelty thing anymore.

I don't know. It just all seems so derivative.

Most tv shows do feel old before they've even started. Either the idea is old and used or the show revolves too much around the main character's oddities (House, Castle etc.) instead of actually having good writing.

More people should watch The Sopranos and learn from that show. It does tell about a mob boss but the organised crime thing is never truly what the show is about. It's about the characters that are so well written they just become real people as you're watching them.

The truth is, everyone's trying to come up with new and cool ideas while what they need to do is come up with characters that are real, three-dimensional and deep. Even Breaking Bad which started as a very promising series, ended up concentrating too much on dramatic plot twists and individual stunts. At some point the characters and their relationships became secondary and the series lost something.
It was still pretty good.

Point is: it's not even that the ideas are old. It's that people (who make the shows) concentrate too much on the idea that the entire show is about. All this emphasis on the idea takes away from the characters and the overall depth of the show. This is also the exact reason I don't watch anime / read manga but that's too off topic.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#12 - 2013-11-29 22:20:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
I agree with Bischopt above. Most ideas have already been done and anything that is groundbreaking is a probably a movie that blends a couple different over used ideas in such a way that it is not obvious and provide you deep and relate-able characters.

For example. Little Miss Sunshine was an unbelievably good movie that provided nothing new in the sense of story line. They just gave us an underdog story with multiple relate-able characters that many in the population could empathize with, did it with relatively little pomp and circumstance and gave us a movie that will stand the test of Time I believe.
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-11-29 22:27:07 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
I agree with Bischopt above. Most ideas have already been done and anything that is groundbreaking is a probably a movie that blends a couple different over used ideas in such a way that it is not obvious and provide you deep and relate-able characters.

For example. Little Miss Sunshine was an unbelievably good movie that provided nothing new in the sense of story line. They just gave us an underdog story with multiple relate-able characters that many in the population could empathize with, did it with relatively little pomp and circumstance and gave us a movie that will stand the test of Time I believe.

Yep, that's a good example. Thanks.
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-11-30 03:26:48 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:

It is this that makes the show good. The main characters have depth and the central "bromance" between Karl Urban and Michael Ealy works well. These characters, well-acted, sit in the rich medium of ideas that is a good blending of SF tropes. The stories play out in a way that still feels fresh. The second episode actually had an unhappy ending.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!