These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Grim Realities of EvE: Microtransactions and the future of EvE.

Author
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#121 - 2013-11-26 20:41:15 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
We already dealt with it, it was called the summer of rage. The NEX store is hardly microtransactions, the PLEX to AURUM exchange rate made sure of that.

CCP got burnt in 2011, it's unlikely they'll try and push the MT/Gold stuff/$1000 pants any further than they already have without major discussions with both the CSM and us, the players. I'm sure that there are many players that unsubbed multiple alt accounts over it, and that many of those accounts are still unsubbed. They lost a lot of good faith with the debacle that followed Incarna, and they're only just getting it back.

The summer of rage was not about the NeX store. The monocle attracted a lot of attention because of its price point, but it was insult into an existing injury. The existence of the NeX store itself wasn't a big deal.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#122 - 2013-11-26 20:43:29 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

Further, it's the nature of business to seek untapped sources of revenue.

It is also the nature of successful long-term business to not bleed dollars while chasing cents.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#123 - 2013-11-26 20:46:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Batelle wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
We already dealt with it, it was called the summer of rage. The NEX store is hardly microtransactions, the PLEX to AURUM exchange rate made sure of that.

CCP got burnt in 2011, it's unlikely they'll try and push the MT/Gold stuff/$1000 pants any further than they already have without major discussions with both the CSM and us, the players. I'm sure that there are many players that unsubbed multiple alt accounts over it, and that many of those accounts are still unsubbed. They lost a lot of good faith with the debacle that followed Incarna, and they're only just getting it back.

The summer of rage was not about the NeX store. The monocle attracted a lot of attention because of its price point, but it was insult into an existing injury. The existence of the NeX store itself wasn't a big deal.

I never said it was, I think perhaps that I could have phrased it better.

The primary cause of the summer of rage was wasted development cycles to produce a single room that turned GPUs into small suns and provided no gameplay options. The NEX store itself, while laughable, was the icing on the cake in that it managed to produce much hilarity/anger with reference to "Greed is good", Gold ammo and ship questions not being answered and the insulting $1000 pants dev posts, which were of major concern and still are.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#124 - 2013-11-26 20:53:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Batelle wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

If anything, the monocle has been successful. It was intended to be a status symbol, and it is. I'm not sure how many of them are in game, or how many of those were purchased with ISK->PLEX->AUR conversions, but they're just uncommon enough on portraits to do what they were supposed to do.

I have no problem whatsoever with a cash for pretties program, especially if the "cash" can be ISK, too. I suspect that most people won't, as long as the range of pretties goes from cheap impulse purchases to luxury items; the purchases can actually be seen in-game (e.g., on ships), and; the pretties have no effect on the mechanics of the game. That's also assuming that the rollout of new pretties happens against the backdrop of active, continuous and solicitous attention to the actual game that CCP has established since Crucible. It would be nice, and something of an additional revenue source, but it would not be a step that CCP ~must~ take to survive a grim future of F2P and microtransactions.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#125 - 2013-11-26 21:01:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Dersen Lowery wrote:
If anything, the monocle has been successful. It was intended to be a status symbol, and it is. I'm not sure how many of them are in game, or how many of those were purchased with ISK->PLEX->AUR conversions, but they're just uncommon enough on portraits to do what they were supposed to do.
Weeeell… for certain values of “status” at least. They are trolling instruments more than anything, but that's a status too and something that some people like to communicate.

But then, that's the nature of EVE: take what the devs give and twist it into something completely unrecognisable.

Of course, the official stance on monocles is still that they're for suckers. Blink
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#126 - 2013-11-26 22:04:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Aralyn Cormallen
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

You already have that answer in the Ishikone Watch Scorpion. Anything that spawns a combat-useable item in a manner that circumvents the crafting, mineral gathering, and transportation systems that govern every single other combat-useable item breaks the rules and ecosystem of the game. A skin is fine, since the ability to spawn a skin in deep nullsec doesn't get the ship there. Spawning the ship past blockades and station camps, right to exactly where you need it, at the time you need it, destroys the purpose of doing any of those things, and shreds whole layers of tactics from the game.

Sorry I missed this post in all the BS.

Hmm... One, an argument can be made that this happens anyplace there is an LP store if the player in question has sufficient LP saved up, but...

What if having a standard model were a requirement to spawn one? This avoids creating something from nothing, but also allows for customization. The only real issue I see with it would be coding the market to cover hull variations.

LP stores keep to the model of the rest of the game though - you can only buy LP items in the specific stations they are sold, so they can't be bought just anywhere. You can't get a Raven navy Issue in Stain, a Stratios in the Drone Regions, or a Machariel in Venal. If anything the LP stores reinforce the model - you want that Stratios, you either pay a massive mark-up at your local trade hub, over the odds in Jita, a touch on the expensive side from a Highsec Sisters station, or if you want it cheap, you have to go behind the lines into Pure Blind to get it. This creates opportunities for people to interdict the cheaper options, or for enterprising individuals the chance to make profits by getting the cheaper ones and flipping them at the top price to those not willing to take the risk. If you could get that Stratios for the same price in Jita as you could in X-70 in Pure Blind, a whole swath of reasons for playing parts of the game is rendered moot.

In the interest of honesty - the only thing I can see that breaks the model are promotional ships like the Gnosis, and those in giveaways like the no-idea-how-you-spell-it Thrasher that was in the pre-order for the anniversary set. But in most of these cases, they are either functionally useless (like that hacking Sansha frig or the PI hauler whose model was adopted for the Noctis), or so limited in run, that it doesn't make a significant ripple (no alliance is going to buy 100 anniversary boxes just to get a insta-deployable Thrasher fleet!)

As for needing the hull - that goes into the coding side I don't know enough about. Clearly that works as a system (since the Faction blueprints functionally do this - so buying "skin" blueprints whose only required material is the original ship hull is a possible solution), but as you say, that could make a chronic mess of the market and many other things as the number of "brands" of ship increase. Personally, I would assume it would be "easy" to give every ship a "skin" slot, however, I vaguely remember when the arguements occured over the Ishikone Watch Scorpion, it was said the reason they were intending to sell the whole ship was they couldn't do it that way, but I have no idea, and they never said, exactly what the limitation was.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#127 - 2013-11-26 22:15:08 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

You already have that answer in the Ishikone Watch Scorpion. Anything that spawns a combat-useable item in a manner that circumvents the crafting, mineral gathering, and transportation systems that govern every single other combat-useable item breaks the rules and ecosystem of the game. A skin is fine, since the ability to spawn a skin in deep nullsec doesn't get the ship there. Spawning the ship past blockades and station camps, right to exactly where you need it, at the time you need it, destroys the purpose of doing any of those things, and shreds whole layers of tactics from the game.

Sorry I missed this post in all the BS.

Hmm... One, an argument can be made that this happens anyplace there is an LP store if the player in question has sufficient LP saved up, but...

What if having a standard model were a requirement to spawn one? This avoids creating something from nothing, but also allows for customization. The only real issue I see with it would be coding the market to cover hull variations.

LP stores keep to the model of the rest of the game though - you can only buy LP items in the specific stations they are sold, so they can't be bought just anywhere. You can't get a Raven navy Issue in Stain, a Stratios in the Drone Regions, or a Machariel in Venal. If anything the LP stores reinforce the model - you want that Stratios, you either pay a massive mark-up at your local trade hub, over the odds in Jita, a touch on the expensive side from a Highsec Sisters station, or if you want it cheap, you have to go behind the lines into Pure Blind to get it. This creates opportunities for people to interdict the cheaper options, or for enterprising individuals the chance to make profits by getting the cheaper ones and flipping them at the top price to those not willing to take the risk. If you could get that Stratios for the same price in Jita as you could in X-70 in Pure Blind, a whole swath of reasons for playing parts of the game is rendered moot.

As for needing the hull - that goes into the coding side I don't know enough about. Clearly that works as a system (since the Faction blueprints functionally do this - so buying "skin" blueprints whose only required material is the original ship hull is a possible solution), but as you say, that could make a chronic mess of the market and many other things as the number of "brands" of ship increase. Personally, I would assume it would be "easy" to give every ship a "skin" slot, however, I vaguely remember when the arguements occured over the Ishikone Watch Scorpion, it was said the reason they were intending to sell the whole ship was they couldn't do it that way, but I have no idea, and they never said, exactly what the limitation was.

Actually they said they couldn't do it that way "yet", but that either that or selling BPC's of the ships decked out in various skins, was their preferred way to eventually handle it.

Who knows if that will eventually happen now, but I do have hope as they finished their work of making skins for all the appropriate corps for each ship. It would be a shame to have that work go to waste.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#128 - 2013-11-26 22:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Batelle
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Batelle wrote:

I have no problem whatsoever with a cash for pretties program, especially if the "cash" can be ISK, too. I suspect that most people won't, as long as the range of pretties goes from cheap impulse purchases to luxury items; the purchases can actually be seen in-game (e.g., on ships), and; the pretties have no effect on the mechanics of the game. That's also assuming that the rollout of new pretties happens against the backdrop of active, continuous and solicitous attention to the actual game that CCP has established since Crucible. It would be nice, and something of an additional revenue source, but it would not be a step that CCP ~must~ take to survive a grim future of F2P and microtransactions.

Yup.

Tippia wrote:
They are trolling instruments more than anything

Also true, but that's an equally valid definition of success.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#129 - 2013-11-26 22:22:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Tippia wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Weeeell… for certain values of “status” at least. They are trolling instruments more than anything, but that's a status too and something that some people like to communicate.

I'm reminded of a review of a $30000 turntable that concluded that, while it functioned perfectly well as a turntable, the only reason to buy it was to be able to communicate, "**** you, I can afford to spend $30000 on a turntable."

In that sense, all such items are trolls. The whole point of a diamond-encrusted iPhone is that there's no good reason to have it.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#130 - 2013-11-26 22:31:49 UTC
The thing is, the original premise of micro transactions for cosmetic items is very sound... and perfectly understandable.

Dev 1: There are a lot of people asking to be able to get specialized paint jobs on their vessels, clothing and customizations for their soon to be released Avatars, all sorts of things... however we don't have the manpower or resources to devote to these things and stay within our operational budget. We've been devoting so much time to developing the Carbon back end that core game play development is suffering as it is.

Dev 2: Well, what if we handled those sorts of cosmetic things as micro transactions. That way those items pay for themselves separately and fund their own development resources without impacting the teams working on core game play. That way the people that want these items are the only ones paying for the extra development time. If demand is high, we have plenty of cash coming in to pay 3rd parties (or extra Devs) to spend a lot of time on it, if demand is low then it only funds a limited amount of development time.

Dev 1: Well, the player base has already said they would be mostly okay with spending a bit more if the items are purely cosmetic... so that could work. It would seem to be the perfect solution. It certainly beats NOT doing it at all, or raising subscription prices across the board to fund the extra work it would entail.

However, the EVE community as a whole decided that there was a darker motivation at hand (this is EVE after all) and accused the developers of everything from planning to implement pay to win in the near future to milk the player base, to somehow extorting money from those already paying subscriptions (even though only people interesting in these cosmetic items would be forking over the money).

The crowning bit of proof provided was when the development team refused to state that under no circumstances would EVE ever go to a complete micro transaction basis. In the ever changing gaming industry no sane (and truthful) developer would ever make such an outlandish promise... but this was taken as confirmation that they were seriously considering the idea and making plans in that direction. Gotta love the often easily manipulated EVE community. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#131 - 2013-11-26 22:56:28 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Ehm… but PLEX is not an in-game currency

Again, pardon, but the hell it isn't. It has a direct value in 'real' currencies and a in game value in EVERY in game currency. Though the isk one fluctuates. And also correct me if I'm wrong, but you use it to buy goods and services from CCP, such as tickets to Fanfest and Character Re-Customizations, so... yes, it's a currency, and it's in game.

Dersen Lowery wrote:
As CCP Pokethulhu, EVE's marketing guy, has said:

Let me just stop you there. You just implied that one should believe a marketing guy.

You do know that marketing job is to bullshit you, right? He's what used to be called a 'spin doctor', and correct me if I'm wrong, but as the marketing guy, wouldn't he have been the one that thought the Somer thing was a good idea in the first place?

Ranger 1 wrote:

The crowning bit of proof provided was when the development team refused to state that under no circumstances would EVE ever go to a complete micro transaction basis. In the ever changing gaming industry no sane (and truthful) developer would ever make such an outlandish promise... but this was taken as confirmation that they were seriously considering the idea and making plans in that direction. Gotta love the often easily manipulated EVE community. Smile

This is pretty much how I remember the 'summer of rage' too. For me, a lot of the anti-microtransaction crowd looked like morons during that. I'll also point out that I still see around a lot of the people who swore they'd quit eve forever if they didn't immediately remove the monocles and all the possible pay items. So, you'll have to understand then why I, and most likely the devs, take the whole 'I'll ragequit and never come back' thing less than seriously.

I mean, come on, this is eve. 'Can I haz your stuff?'

In a nutshell, we've determined that There's no problem with vanity items, alternate skins/models as long as they don't break break form (ie require much the same thing as current versions, have same in game stats, etc.)

But we come back the subject, do any of you have any ideas beyond that?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#132 - 2013-11-26 23:16:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Again, pardon, but the hell it isn't.
How many PLEX do I pay for a Talos and the modules needed for a gank?

Quote:
It has a direct value in 'real' currencies and a in game value in EVERY in game currency.
That doesn't make it a currency.

Quote:
Let me just stop you there. You just implied that one should believe a marketing guy.
…you mean like you've been doing all along?

Ranger 1 wrote:
The crowning bit of proof provided was when the development team refused to state that under no circumstances would EVE ever go to a complete micro transaction basis. In the ever changing gaming industry no sane (and truthful) developer would ever make such an outlandish promise
The funny thing is that they have since stated exactly that. P
Cygnet Lythanea
#133 - 2013-11-26 23:28:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Tippia wrote:
[The funny thing is that they have since stated exactly that. P

*Citation Needed*

The only thing I've ever seen was the PC gamer interview with the producers, where they observed that they felt it should have been done in the first place, but now it would be difficult to transition EvE to a traditional F2p. At no point do they say they would never do it, or that they would never consider hybrids or their own take on F2P, only that it would be difficult.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#134 - 2013-11-27 00:08:11 UTC
PLEX is just legitimized RMT. It's legal because CCP says it's so.

Kind of like the way the only difference between a legal US dollar and a counterfeit one is that the former just happens to be printed by the government, and is therefore legal, even though neither is backed up by anything of actual value (or even physical existence).

So to recap:
Give money to an nullsec ISK grinder for ISK = RMT IZ BAD! BAN THE HERETIC!
Give money to CCP for PLEX to sell for ISK = PLEX IS GOOD! BUY MOAR PLEX!

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#135 - 2013-11-27 00:08:36 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
*Citation Needed*

The only thing I've ever seen was the PC gamer interview with the producers, where they observed that they felt it should have been done in the first place, but now it would be difficult to transition EvE to a traditional F2p.
Yeah, no. That's you reading things into it, but you have your source already.

Oh, and Mr. MT himself even said that it's not really a universally applicable business model, but the sentiment is older than that
Cygnet Lythanea
#136 - 2013-11-27 00:14:40 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Yeah, no. That's you reading things into it, but you have your source already.

Yes, but please point out where they say they'll never do it. Because you did state they said 'exactly that' when in fact they said no such thing. and yet I'm the one 'reading things into it'.

Bluntly, they made a lot of vague noises that they thought would sound good to the player base, but actually said very little beyond it would be difficult.

Which, based on the wild over reaction of the forums, is sort of a no brainer.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#137 - 2013-11-27 00:15:25 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Quote:
It has a direct value in 'real' currencies and a in game value in EVERY in game currency.
That doesn't make it a currency.

PLEX is an interesting and anomalous item which does share a number of properties with fiat money, expecially when seen from the inside of the game towards the outside.

I.e. it's been used in the past as (only) legal tender to purchase video cards. Even if it could be argued it could have played the "lottery ticket" role considering video cards were limited. Yet it was a tender as the limited number was due to that initiative being an experiment for something greater to come later (and not to being a lottery).

It's the only legal tender to donate for EvE to RL cash charity initiatives.

It does not have a proper intrinsic value. Outside of EvE AFAIK you can't even legally trade PLEXes, but only GTCs. In game PLEX has the same value as minerals have, that is the value given to them by players.

It has a fixed value but not absolutely. CCP associates them both with dollars and euros. Even when in GTC "form" their value may change depending on GTC vendor.

We used to have a nice website providing (amont the others) a Forex-alike ISK / Dollar currency pair conversion and the one EULA compliant way to do that is to interpose PLEX as virtual medium.

PLEXes also share some of their traits with bitcoins, the latter being a fiat currency that even come with RL ATM machines, despite being computer generated bits. PLEXes come with additional properties as well. They are heavy weight value (like 1 bitcoin), they are "avatars" of GTCs, GTCs themselves could be used as RL trade medium to get equivalent value goods (as long as one of the GTCs trading parties has a way to later use the GTCs).

All in all, PLEXes are an interesting asset that for EvE related activities may effectively work as currency regardless of whether you consider them currency or not. When somebody does not consider something a currency but it's used like a currency, then chances are, it's recognized being a currency and in being so, it becomes a currency.
Cygnet Lythanea
#138 - 2013-11-27 00:27:51 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

It does not have a proper intrinsic value. Outside of EvE AFAIK you can't even legally trade PLEXes, but only GTCs. In game PLEX has the same value as minerals have, that is the value given to them by players.

This is a very grey area, here. Technically, the only thing that says that is the EULA, which is not actually legally binding in some countries. Further, CCPs use of 'the law of Iceland shall be the governing law' gets annulled by the 'Except where such clauses are illegal' in many others.

In the US, for example, EULA's have had a mixed bag. Some courts have held them to be not legally binding, and further that the law of the US is used regardless of the law specified in the EULA, as long as one party is a US citizen and the other can be proven to 'do business' in the US.
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#139 - 2013-11-27 00:30:41 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Before I even start, I know this will be a wildly unpopular thing to say, but like the proverbial elephant in the room, it's something that needs to be addressed.

I'll start off by observing that, as we all know, real money transactions and microtranactions are quickly becoming the Go-To means to monetize an MMO.

It's also clear from CCPs latest debacle, that they're seeking a way to get RMT into eve somehow, to increase income. Their initial effort to put it in directly backfired spectacularly (sadly, but I'll get to that) and so they back doored it via SOMER Blink, This has also proved wildly unpopular (for good reason).

Personally, I think we screwed up with the huge fit over WiS. Character customization and alternate color scheme ships are pretty much the least offensive means I can think of, and if financed by said , the actual amount of dev man hours they would have taken away from anything else would have likely been in the single digits. Further, the increased income would have allowed larger dev teams, leading to getting more content for everything else too.

I think it might behoove us to examine just what sort and level of RMT we'd find acceptable in game before CCP ganks us with it and tells us to HTFU. Because 'none' clearly is not happening,

Edit: Since we meandered for ten posts about "microtransactions and RMT", I've amended the OP to include both, so we can actually address the issue.

Tl;DR I don't read poor people posts
Cygnet Lythanea
#140 - 2013-11-27 00:37:10 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:

Tl;DR I don't read poor people posts

Lol Damn, the plebs are tracking mud across my nice new marble floor!

Please contribute something to the actual discussion when you post, beyond 'Occupy Jita!'.