These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Grim Realities of EvE: Microtransactions and the future of EvE.

Author
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#101 - 2013-11-26 19:38:08 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
I
I say hypothetical because there are several prominent bets on the continued relevance of the subscription model, some of which very self-consciously use EVE as a model.

I might point out that one of the three MMOs has already had one failed launch.

...which would be an interesting observation if you could point to any evidence that the financing model was the problem.

MMOs are extremely hard to get right. The market is littered with the corpses of failed attempts. But EVE has survived 10 years.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#102 - 2013-11-26 19:42:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Ranger 1 wrote:

Well, no lock actually. More like a throttle.

I wouldn't even call it much of a throttle. You've seen how I play.

The Warfish wrote:
We already have RMT.

I trade CCP my real money, they give me a PLEX which I sell for isk. Money for in-game currency. The fact another player acts as middle-man isn't really a difference maker. It's still $$ for isk.

As for "Microtransactions", I fully support it for cosmetic/aethetic items, skins, etc.

NPC Corp. Faction Skin Ships that sell for one normal of that hull + Microtransaction, with no other differences? Fine.

Clothes. Walking-in-Stations Room Improvements. Etc. All fine.

Holy God, a relevant post. What are your thoughts on the alternate model idea, or was that in with the alternate skins?

Tippia wrote:
As luck would have it, there are no similar games on the horizon, much less ones with a F2P model .

https://robertsspaceindustries.com And, Yes, they're now including larger ships such as the carrier.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#103 - 2013-11-26 19:46:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Aralyn Cormallen
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Does anyone think that additional ship models, as long as they have the same basic stats, would be 'too far'?

You already have that answer in the Ishikone Watch Scorpion. Anything that spawns a combat-useable item in a manner that circumvents the crafting, mineral gathering, and transportation systems that govern every single other combat-useable item breaks the rules and ecosystem of the game. A skin is fine, since the ability to spawn a skin in deep nullsec doesn't get the ship there. Spawning the ship past blockades and station camps, right to exactly where you need it, at the time you need it, destroys the purpose of doing any of those things, and shreds whole layers of tactics from the game.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#104 - 2013-11-26 19:47:10 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com
…is not a similar game unless you think that EVE is much the same as, oh, say Starcraft.

Quote:
Holy God, a relevant post
By “relevant”, I presume you mean “incorrect”, since you can't actually pay money for ISK.
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2013-11-26 19:48:16 UTC
Anyone else smell an EA created alt. EVE online has been going strong and growing their player base steadily and slowly over the past decade.

F2P / Mirco-transaction models are never long term vision or investments. They are designed with greed and fast satisfaction in mind.

The only Grimm Reality will be only IF CCP decides to follow F2P/Micro-transaction model. I am convinced that OP and the alts supporting these types of ideas want nothing more than to see this game fail.

Greed and arrogance always precede the fall.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#106 - 2013-11-26 19:48:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com And, Yes, they're now including larger ships such as the carrier.

The only thing that SC has in common with Eve is spaceships, other than that you're comparing apples to oranges, it's not a competitor to Eve, much as STO, SWG, X-ReAfterbirth, Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy weren't competitors.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Cygnet Lythanea
#107 - 2013-11-26 19:52:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Tippia wrote:
…is not a similar game unless you think that EVE is much the same as, oh, say Starcraft.

I could in fact, make that comparison, if you like, with miners as SCVs and goonswarm as the zerg.

Tippia wrote:
By “relevant”, I presume you mean “incorrect”, since you can't actually pay money for ISK.

The guys that sell plex to me might disagree with that analysis. While you might call it a month of game time, you do pay real money for it, and sell it for isk instead of using it. Thus money becomes isk.

Dersen Lowery wrote:

...which would be an interesting observation if you could point to any evidence that the financing model was the problem.

MMOs are extremely hard to get right. The market is littered with the corpses of failed attempts. But EVE has survived 10 years.

I'll admit that there was more that went wrong than just the subscription model with FF15. However, I think that was a factor.
Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2013-11-26 19:55:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Moneta Curran
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Holy God, a relevant post. What are your thoughts on the alternate model idea, or was that in with the alternate skins?

Ah, you found your mouthpiece..

I am seeing a pattern here where you brand all opinions not reinforcing your own as irrelevant.
You also seem to think everyone who genuinely disagrees must be trolling.
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2013-11-26 19:57:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com

This could end up being the greatest scam in gaming history. Are you sure you don't want to wait until after the game actually comes out is successful before pointing to it as an example????

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#110 - 2013-11-26 19:57:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
I could in fact, make that comparison, if you like, with miners as SCVs and goonswarm as the zerg.
Then you understand why they're not the same.

Quote:
The guys that sell plex to me might disagree with that analysis. While you might call it a month of game time, you do pay real money for it, and sell it for isk instead of using it. Thus money becomes isk.
No. Money becomes time, same as with every other subscription option available to you. You can then exchange this time with other players.

At no point are you able to turn money into ISK (unless you go the illegal RMT route, which has a tendency to remove both time and ISK — even the account as a whole —in the end).

Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
This could end up being the greatest scam in gaming history. Are you sure you don't want to wait until after the game actually comes out is successful before pointing to it as an example????

Yes, that too. But even before it comes out, we can trivially say that it's not very similar aside from just the outer layer of paint.
Cygnet Lythanea
#111 - 2013-11-26 19:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Moneta Curran wrote:

I am seeing a pattern here where you brand all opinions not reinforcing your own as irrelevant.
You also seem to think everyone who genuinely disagrees must be trolling.

Because so far all of you have avoided the meat of the discussion to attack semantics or accuse me of somehow being in league with EA.

The fact is that, depending on how you view it, it's either already here or coming. My point, and I have to belabor this a lot for some reason, is that if it is coming, we should find some middle ground, and discuss the best ways to carry it out, so as to avoid the whole blowing up statues forum rage chest beating that will happen if they spring it on us.

So far, all but a very few posters have ignored that in favor of attacking the terminology used or tried to drive off on tangents. And a few half hearted attempts at trolling.

Aralyn Cormallen wrote:

You already have that answer in the Ishikone Watch Scorpion. Anything that spawns a combat-useable item in a manner that circumvents the crafting, mineral gathering, and transportation systems that govern every single other combat-useable item breaks the rules and ecosystem of the game. A skin is fine, since the ability to spawn a skin in deep nullsec doesn't get the ship there. Spawning the ship past blockades and station camps, right to exactly where you need it, at the time you need it, destroys the purpose of doing any of those things, and shreds whole layers of tactics from the game.

Sorry I missed this post in all the BS.

Hmm... One, an argument can be made that this happens anyplace there is an LP store if the player in question has sufficient LP saved up, but...

What if having a standard model were a requirement to spawn one? This avoids creating something from nothing, but also allows for customization. The only real issue I see with it would be coding the market to cover hull variations.
Nyla Skin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#112 - 2013-11-26 20:01:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Nyla Skin
Right, enough with the semantics. Here is what I think:

Subscription is a good business model because it offers steady income for the company. Caveat: the content must be good enough that customers are willing to pay subscription for it. This is not trivial when a MMO launches because we all know launches will be buggy, problematic and lacking content. Company also need to introduce new content often enough so that players feel they are getting their money's worth.

A cashshop can come in handy when you have something that would be otherwise hard to justify as 'part of an expansion', like cosmetic stuff. However, this sort of stuff makes perfect sense in a cashshop. As long as people pay for it, creation of said stuff can be justified. And people don't have to pay for it if they don't want to. Everybody wins.

Problem for Eve is that avatar customization doesn't make much sense as avatars are still completely separated from normal gameplay. People would want to customize their actual gameplay, not to have a doll house on the side. Ie. decals or custom skins for the ships are needed.

ps. option to hide somebodys posts exists.

In after the lock :P   - CCP Falcon www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2013-11-26 20:01:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Moneta Curran
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
The fact is that, depending on how you view it, it's either already here or coming.

Why do you presume that it's an unavoidable reality we are all blind to?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#114 - 2013-11-26 20:05:59 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
The fact is that, depending on how you view it, it's either already here or coming.
No, neither of those are facts.
What you perceive as a semantic discussion is simply a rejection of your unfounded premise.
Cygnet Lythanea
#115 - 2013-11-26 20:10:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Moneta Curran wrote:

Why do you presume that it's an unavoidable reality we are all blind to?

*holds up one unit of plex*

Technically it's already here. You can do stuff with plex way more than 'just' buy time, just as with a 'freemium' game you can do more than 'just' buy time with their in game currency. CCP offers services that cost plex above and beyond what's available to 'mere' subscribers even, considering that plex costs more than a month sub (or it did the last time I checked).

Further, it's the nature of business to seek untapped sources of revenue. The only reason that CCP 'listens' is that they feel that there's a bigger risk of loss. You can coat it any way to like, but at the end of the day CCP is about dollars and cents. Dealing with it now allows the players to negotiate from a position of strength, whereas later that might not be the case.

Further, you can buy Aurum directly from CCP too, without buying plex. It's something like 600 for $5us.
Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2013-11-26 20:18:51 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Dealing with it now allows the players to negotiate from a position of strength, whereas later that might not be the case.

I am not inclined to speed this presumably inevitable process further along by opening pre-emptive negotiations..

No need to pave a road that would lead to the playerbase turning their back on the game once more.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#117 - 2013-11-26 20:20:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

*holds up one unit of plex*

Technically it's already here. You can do stuff with plex way more than 'just' buy time, just as with a 'freemium' game you can do more than 'just' buy time with their in game currency. CCP offers services that cost plex above and beyond what's available to 'mere' subscribers even, considering that plex costs more than a month sub (or it did the last time I checked).

Further, it's the nature of business to seek untapped sources of revenue. The only reason that CCP 'listens' is that they feel that there's a bigger risk of loss. You can coat it any way to like, but at the end of the day CCP is about dollars and cents. Dealing with it now allows the players to negotiate from a position of strength, whereas later that might not be the case.

We already dealt with it, it was called the summer of rage. The NEX store is hardly microtransactions, the PLEX to AURUM exchange rate made sure of that.

CCP got burnt in 2011, it's unlikely they'll try and push the MT/Gold stuff/$1000 pants any further than they already have without major discussions with both the CSM and us, the players. I'm sure that there are many players that unsubbed multiple alt accounts over it, and that many of those accounts are still unsubbed. They lost a lot of good faith with the debacle that followed Incarna, and they're only just getting it back.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nyla Skin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#118 - 2013-11-26 20:20:56 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

Further, you can buy Aurum directly from CCP too, without buying plex. It's something like 600 for $5us.

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.

However, since there doesn't exist anything that I would want to buy with aurum, I am not going to be using this feature much. I doubt the situation will change in the future due to CCP's plans for Eve.

In after the lock :P   - CCP Falcon www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#119 - 2013-11-26 20:24:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
As CCP Pokethulhu, EVE's marketing guy, has said: you can't disentangle the payment model of an MMO from the design of the MMO. If an MMO is to be "freemium," the design of the MMO at all levels of play has to reflect that decision.

EVE is designed around subscriptions. EVE's main licit RMT option, PLEX, is designed to fit seamlessly into that subscription model, right down to the name and its main functions: either one month's subscription, or one month's training for a secondary (or tertiary) character on the same account. It's not purely an RMT option, of course, because you can buy PLEX with ISK, too.

The second option, AURUM, is kind of in limbo now--CCP Pokethulhu is also on record as saying the NeX store is in for a revamp. In the mean time, it's getting used in DUST514. But you can buy AUR with PLEX, which means you can buy AUR with ISK. In other words, with only a few exceptions (e.g., the bennies for preordering a 10th anniversary box set) there is no real-money microtransaction in EVE that cannot also be made with ISK. This is a critical point, and a crucial difference between EVE's model and the "freemium" model: every PLEX purchased with real money and sold for ISK necessarily gives another person a PLEX without their having spent a penny. You are not just throwing money at CCP; you're subsidizing another player's game.

CCP has thought this carefully through, and it's worked. WildStar has a nearly identical scheme in place to complement its subscription model, and SOE is introducing a similar one. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more common, because it makes people who like throwing money at games happy and it makes people who like playing for free happy.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#120 - 2013-11-26 20:32:30 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Technically it's already here. You can do stuff with plex way more than 'just' buy time, just as with a 'freemium' game you can do more than 'just' buy time with their in game currency.
Ehm… but PLEX is not an in-game currency and freemium games generally don't let you buy time with in-game currency since that would defeat the entire business model.

Quote:
CCP offers services that cost plex above and beyond what's available to 'mere' subscribers even
…and that rather points to them not using those services as an income source, but rather relying on other mechanisms since what you're actually doing in that case is spending paid-for subscription time to use those services instead. With or without services, CCP gets paid.

Quote:
Further, it's the nature of business to seek untapped sources of revenue.
…unless it threatens the existing sources of revenue. As others have pointed out, they've already tried; it's already been dealt with; CCP has already come out quite clearly and said that no, they can't change the business model after the game is made because the game has to be designed around the business model. They are looking at other business models, just not with EVE.