These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Caldari mission ships

Author
Nicholas Lafisques
Dark Matters Retail and Distribution
#1 - 2013-11-25 22:37:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicholas Lafisques
I have been having alot of trouble lately deciding on a route to take. Though i have begun to train caldari/missiile skills (on my way up to a raven/CNR and cruise missiles), I am really unsure as to the steps I should take on my way up to them.

My main goal is to run missions and grind standings for 2 other chars of mine.

level 2 missions - it seems that the general concensus is to go with a caracal. I was wondering if it would make sense to skip right to a drake to run these. If not, i heard alot of people suggesting to get T2 light missile launchers for the caracal. Being that my goal is to get cruise missiles, does it make sense to skill up for the t2 light missile launchers?

Im guess i will be using the drake for lvl 3s, and the raven once i get up to lvl 4s. The main question i have for these is whether its better to go with an active/passive shield tank. It always seemed to me that active tanks were the way to go for missions to make up for the bursts of damage you recieve at certain points in the mission (though im certainly not qualified to make that statement). The other question i have about the drake is the same for the caracal, should i bother with t2 (heavy assault??) missile launchers or just get what i need for the cruise missiles and use the skillpoints for when i get into the raven.

/edit Also wondering what rigs are a good option. It seems there is a rig for just about anything and i wouldnt want to waste a ship on putting the wrong ones on. I dont really know if shield rigs are required or if i can go for ones that boost missile damage (let alone a specific one in either category)

As to the missioning itself, if I am not worried about the standings of the combat character, does it make sense to train social/connections in order to get his standings up? other than in order to recieve higher level agents

All the advice helps!! this game is rather daunting at times...
Nolen Cadmar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-11-25 23:09:20 UTC
A Caracal with Rapid Light Missile Launchers is much better for L2's than a Drake. A Drake's heavy missiles will struggle to apply DPS to smaller ships found in L2's. I would advise you to NOT train for T2 light missiles. You'll be done with the caracal and moved on to the Drake in a short period.

As for tanking: The Drake works best with a passive tank. The Raven is best with active tank. I can link fittings if you'd like.

For the Drake: I would NOT train for T2 heavy missiles or heavy assault. Again, you'll be done with it and move on to the Raven fairly quickly. For more DPS, train Warhead Upgrades and Rapid Firing.

Nolen's Spreadsheet Guru Services

Pre-made spreadsheets available covering market, manufacturing and more!

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Nolen Cadmar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-11-25 23:13:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Nolen Cadmar
Also...Training Connections and Social will help you earn rep faster and unlock agents sooner, so I would advise training them.

Rigs: For the Drake, use 3 Medium Core Defense Field Purgers for additional shield recharge. For the Raven, it's up to you and how you like to fly it. Capacitor Control Circuits will give you more cap regen, bay loading accel will give faster rate of fire, and a rigor or flare will let you hit smaller stuff much easier.

Rigs for the Raven will all depend on how you like to use it. Some prefer DPS over tank, others like me(who aren't too concerned with isk/hr) prefer sacrificing a little bit of DPS for extra tank.

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Nicholas Lafisques
#4 - 2013-11-25 23:29:52 UTC
Nolen Cadmar wrote:
A Caracal with Rapid Light Missile Launchers is much better for L2's than a Drake. A Drake's heavy missiles will struggle to apply DPS to smaller ships found in L2's. I would advise you to NOT train for T2 light missiles. You'll be done with the caracal and moved on to the Drake in a short period.

As for tanking: The Drake works best with a passive tank. The Raven is best with active tank. I can link fittings if you'd like.

For the Drake: I would NOT train for T2 heavy missiles or heavy assault. Again, you'll be done with it and move on to the Raven fairly quickly. For more DPS, train Warhead Upgrades and Rapid Firing.

Spot on man. Just what i was looking for. glad to see someone tell me not to bother with the t2 launchers as thats what i had hoped to do. correct me if im wrong but ibelieve passive/active shield tanking require similar skills so i should be ok in that respect.

I would love a caracal or drake fitting. The raven is a little ways off if u dont want to bother with all 3, and i seem to be more and more easily distracted with this game! haha. Though i am sure i will use it if you choose to post it.

Thank you!

Not sure if this matters but i plan to do the caldari missions (mainly caldari navy). I am not sure whether it is worthwhile/necessary to use rat specific hardeners or if the adaptive invuln fields will work fine
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-11-25 23:44:05 UTC
Word on the street is RLML are now abysmaterribad for PvE.

With the reload timer, I've a hard time finding fault in that theory.

Beyond that, advice isnt bad, but you want T2 cruise ASAP. Those matter.
Nolen Cadmar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-11-25 23:56:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nolen Cadmar
Specific hardeners will always work better, and if you're doing missions in Caldari space, you'll mostly use Kinetic and Thermal hardeners. With EM every now and then. Also...I forgot about the reload timers for Rapid launchers. Soo...

Passive Shield Regen uses Shield Management and Shield Operation
Active Shield Tanking uses Shield Compensation and many capacitor related skills.

I have a simple Drake fitting here. This one should do fine in L3's. You can use meta 4 modules and maybe add a 3rd Ballistic Control System for L2's. Should be fine with low skills. Fitting is relatively cheap. Nothing shiny. Don't forget to grab drones.

[Drake, Basic Drake]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

Kinetic Deflection Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II

XR-3200 Heavy Missile Bay, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
[Empty High slot]

Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

EDIT: If this is struggling with damage application, put on a target painter.

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Nicholas Lafisques
#7 - 2013-11-26 00:25:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicholas Lafisques
Nolen Cadmar wrote:
Specific hardeners will always work better, and if you're doing missions in Caldari space, you'll mostly use Kinetic and Thermal hardeners. With EM every now and then. Also...I forgot about the reload timers for Rapid launchers. Soo...

Passive Shield Regen uses Shield Management and Shield Operation
Active Shield Tanking uses Shield Compensation and many capacitor related skills.

I have a simple Drake fitting here. This one should do fine in L3's. You can use meta 4 modules and maybe add a 3rd Ballistic Control System for L2's. Should be fine with low skills. Fitting is relatively cheap. Nothing shiny. Don't forget to grab drones.

Looks good. gonna give it a go when i get the skills which shouldnt be too far off. Thanks again

e/ Will keep in mind about the cruise missiles. Want to get into something for a while before then so i have to catch everything else up.

And just saw about the rigs. Wondering why you prefer 3 shield purgers? just being over procautious for my sake? I wouldnt mind using them but am curious as to how hard it would be to get away with at least one for some dps. That being said i can always leave a slot open and give it a try with only 2 to see how i fair with my skills.

Thanks guys!
Cyrus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-11-26 03:39:48 UTC
Caracal then Cerberus. The Cerb is the best missile based Mission runner untill the Navy Raven.
Nolen Cadmar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-11-26 04:37:03 UTC
Cyrus wrote:
Caracal then Cerberus. The Cerb is the best missile based Mission runner untill the Navy Raven.

Cerberus takes a LOT longer to train for than a Raven. I wouldn't waste the 2 weeks on Caldari Cruiser 5.

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Jeanne-Luise Argenau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-11-26 21:36:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Jeanne-Luise Argenau
i will just link some fits which worked rly well for me (tanked against serpentis).

Drake (sometimes switch 1SPR against 1BCS)
[Drake, mission]

6x Prototype 'Arbalest' Heavy Missile Launcher I (Scourge Heavy Missile)
Small Tractor Beam I

10MN Afterburner II
2x Large Shield Extender II
2x Thermic Dissipation Amplifier II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II

2x Ballistic Control System II
2x Shield Power Relay II

2x Medium Core Defense Field Purger I
Medium Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I

Raven
[Raven, mission]

6x Cruise Missile Launcher II (Inferno Cruise Missile)
Drone Link Augmentor II

Heavy Capacitor Booster II (Cap Booster 800)
X-Large Shield Booster II
100MN Afterburner II
2x Thermic Dissipation Amplifier II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
Republic Fleet Target Painter

Signal Amplifier II
Co-Processor II
3x Ballistic Control System II

2x Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

5x Hammerhead II
5x Hobgoblin II

EDIT: changed the missile launcher to hml, posted by mistake haml
Nicholas Lafisques
#11 - 2013-11-27 04:53:28 UTC
Ya I think im going to hold off on any T2 ships for now.

I like both the fits alot. Think im pretty well on my way here. Thanks so much for the advice.
Cant tell you how much time i spent looking it all up as well as how much time you all saved me
Mark Fjord
Gradient
Electus Matari
#12 - 2013-11-27 06:47:41 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Word on the street is RLML are now abysmaterribad for PvE.

With the reload timer, I've a hard time finding fault in that theory.

I have refitted my PvE Caracal with HML launchers (with sig radius rigs and implants) as a result of how annoying the Rubicon RLMLs are. Halfway through a battleship you have to reload and sit and watch as their armor and shield recharges. Over the span of a mission your apply less effective damage than just sticking with HMLs.