These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Idea: Give a badge to everyone who donates to Plex for good campaign

Author
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-11-25 15:02:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Dunpeal Hunter wrote:
I was just thinking, it would be awesome if CCP could give out standard badges to everyone who donates to the Plex for Good campaign that is currently running.

The Badge would be just like any other badge out there that are handed out by corporations, meaning that people can decide for themselves if they want to show it or not, and it would not give any kind of bonus.

It would just be a recognition towards the players themselves and others so that everyone can see that they are (at least at the moment they donated) kind of heart and think of other people who are in desperate need of help outside this game.

You know... I thought I could escape having to be subjected to people doing the whole "wearing my good deeds on my shirtsleeve, and rubbing it in everyone's face like an a**hole" thing by leaving Christianity.
I guess certain aspects of that buggered religion will follow me, no matter where I go.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#22 - 2013-11-25 15:07:22 UTC
we're already getting a badge. its a Sisters of Eve Food Relief shirt, which is awesome.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-11-25 15:18:30 UTC
Batelle wrote:
we're already getting a badge. its a Sisters of Eve Food Relief shirt, which is awesome.

Shouldn't be a thing. Like, at all.
I hate it when people give to charity then brag about it.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-11-25 15:21:41 UTC
Dunpeal Hunter wrote:
I was just thinking, it would be awesome if CCP could give out standard badges to everyone who donates to the Plex for Good campaign that is currently running.

The Badge would be just like any other badge out there that are handed out by corporations, meaning that people can decide for themselves if they want to show it or not, and it would not give any kind of bonus.

It would just be a recognition towards the players themselves and others so that everyone can see that they are (at least at the moment they donated) kind of heart and think of other people who are in desperate need of help outside this game.

Please biomass yourself and never ever post again. You looking for recognition is sickening.. Thats not helping people in need neither is your little crusade to getting CCP to even do this from the beginning..
Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#25 - 2013-11-25 15:36:01 UTC
We recognize the OP for giving back to people who give back. Well done, OP. And you didn't even need to buy a PLEX to pretend to care about people.
Xinivrae
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-11-25 15:40:22 UTC
Dirk Gentry wrote:
I don't think you quite understand the concept of giving.

Inquisitor Ageri wrote:
Charity shouldn't need recognition. By bragging about the fact that you have given, you lessen the deed.

Best posts in the thread.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2013-11-25 15:41:11 UTC
OP is clearly a fan of silicone bracelets.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-11-25 15:50:21 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Hu?
Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-11-25 16:31:02 UTC
Lfod Shi wrote:
It's not exactly "charity" if you get something out of it.

This, so much this.
I don't need shirts, badges or other crap... knowing that I was able to help a poor kid or anybody else in need is more than enough. Wish I could do this every day.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-11-25 16:33:47 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Hu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel_bracelet#Charity_awareness_wristbands

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-11-25 16:33:54 UTC
With many people giving PLEX, we won`t have to deal with the potential hilarity of the shirts hitting the market at above PLEX price right?
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#32 - 2013-11-25 18:47:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
PLEX for good is a great way for people to donate that don't necessarily have the spare cash to do so, and CCP are already saying "Thank you for your donation" by creating the SOE Tshirts for your characters... so I don't necessarily see the need for a badge as well.

That being said, giving a sign of recognition for donations or aid to charity is a precedent that has long been set.

So the question is, at what point did we decide that saying "Thank you for your donation" (which is all a virtual Tshirt or badge actually is) is somehow wrong or devalues the contribution that was made.

If you asked a person that receives aid through this method "Do you realize that some of this money only was contributed because some Icelandic company gave away a pixel Tshirt with each donation?" do you really think any of them would object?

Not on your life!

In fact their gratitude would be split between those that contributed and the company that actively solicited to maximize those contributions. The end result is even more money is generated to help those that desperately need it.

It is that end result that is important. Not the motivations behind the donation, or any feeling of moral superiority people might aspire to for not needing said acknowledgement.

There is nothing wrong with saying thank you, especially when the company organizing the event is covering the "cost" of creating the thank you gift.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with feeling proud you donated... whether you got some sort of acknowledgement for the donation or not.

Insinuating that a person should not feel proud of their act if they get a thank you in exchange is wrong headed in the extreme, and suggesting that such incentives should be removed is in fact putting your own personal taste ABOVE the vastly more important issue at hand... aid to those in desperate need.

I don't care if they have CCP Guard put on something sexy and perform a lap dance for each donation, as long as it brings in more donations.

More importantly, the people receiving the aid don't care either.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#33 - 2013-11-25 18:50:30 UTC
Only if lootable.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-11-25 18:53:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
Dunpeal Hunter wrote:

No.

This is a game, not a civic service club or a humanitarian aid organization.

You want "danglies" and awards, then join any number of civic organization with an awards system in place to pat each other on the bum every time they get a warm fuzzy feeling about sending a bag of powdered milk to "Wherever".

People are all too eager just to throw "money" at a charity or disaster. Try joining one, rolling up your sleeves and making an effort. I'm sure, that in many places, there's a soup kitchen or old folks home or homeless shelter nearby that could use an extra set of hands that are otherwise punching out "F1, F2, F3...." all day long.

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#35 - 2013-11-25 18:58:20 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
Dunpeal Hunter wrote:

No.

This is a game, not a civic service club or a humanitarian aid organization.

You want "danglies" and awards, then join any number of civic organization with an awards system in place to pat each other on the bum every time they get a warm fuzzy feeling about sending a bag of powdered milk to "Wherever".

People are all too eager just to throw "money" at a charity or disaster. Try joining one, rolling up your sleeves and making an effort. I'm sure, that in many places, there's a soup kitchen or old folks home or homeless shelter nearby.

Roll

Nobody is forcing anyone to donate.

Nobody is forcing anyone to redeem the thank you gift if you do donate.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2013-11-25 19:04:15 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
PLEX for good is a great way for people to donate that don't necessarily have the spare cash to do so, and CCP are already saying "Thank you for your donation" by creating the SOE Tshirts for your characters... so I don't necessarily see the need for a badge as well.

That being said, giving a sign of recognition for donations or aid to charity is a precedent that has long been set.

So the question is, at what point did we decide that saying "Thank you for your donation" (which is all a virtual Tshirt or badge actually is) is somehow wrong or devalues the contribution that was made.

If you asked a person that receives aid through this method "Do you realize that some of this money only was contributed because some Icelandic company gave away a pixel Tshirt with each donation?" do you really think any of them would object?

Not on your life!

In fact their gratitude would be split between those that contributed and the company that actively solicited to maximize those contributions. The end result is even more money is generated to help those that desperately need it.

It is that end result that is important. Not the motivations behind the donation, or any feeling of moral superiority people might aspire to for not needing said acknowledgement.

There is nothing wrong with saying thank you, especially when the company organizing the event is covering the "cost" of creating the thank you gift.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with feeling proud you donated... whether you got some sort of acknowledgement for the donation or not.

Insinuating that a person should not feel proud of their act if they get a thank you in exchange is wrong headed in the extreme, and suggesting that such incentives should be removed is in fact putting your own personal taste ABOVE the vastly more important issue at hand... aid to those in desperate need.

I don't care if they have CCP Guard put on something sexy and perform a lap dance for each donation, as long as it brings in more donations.

There's a difference between receiving thanks, and asking for it.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#37 - 2013-11-25 19:13:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Not on your life!

Yes there is, however I took the OP as more of a suggestion as to how to encourage more donations. I'm sure every charitable institution on the planet has critical meetings to discuss that very subject all the time.

Discussing idea's like this hurt no one, and potentially do a lot of good for those that need it most.

Zions Child
Higashikata Industries
#38 - 2013-11-25 19:22:44 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

To be fair, the Done Vida bracelets are nice, because they might possibly get someone to ask what they are, and it's nice to get the other recognition from organ donation (in the sense that it's nice knowing that the organs helpedpeople).

As for the thread, if people get something for donating then oh well. Companies and those who make larger sums of money get tax breaks from donating, so it's not exactly without precedent, and in this case a badge (or the t-shirt we're already getting) isn't even a monetary benefit.

However, asking for something in return for donating is ******.

Basically, if you get stuff for donating, you shouldn't be made to feel bad for displaying it (e.g. by wearing a t-shirt, in real life or in EVE). At the same time, you shouldn't EXPECT things in return for donating.

Also, funnily enough, if people didn't get something out of charity, they wouldn't do it. Altrusim makes us feel better, and anyone who says "I donate out my ideological duty!" is over simplifying the underlying reasons as to their behavior.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#39 - 2013-11-25 19:48:40 UTC
Sounds like this is about Ego, not charity.

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#40 - 2013-11-25 19:57:44 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Not on your life!

Yes there is, however I took the OP as more of a suggestion as to how to encourage more donations. I'm sure every charitable institution on the planet has critical meetings to discuss that very subject all the time.

Discussing idea's like this hurt no one, and potentially do a lot of good for those that need it most.

I'm POSITIVE they have lots of meetings. How else can they turn someone's pain and sickness into a paycheck for themselves?

Wanna buy some blank yellow t-shirts to print your "charities" logo on it? I have lots for sale super cheap becauase it's a "good cause".