These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Anyne know the origins of 'ratting' name ?

Author
Corp 5py
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-11-25 08:04:17 UTC
"Rat"

Everybody uses the name to refer to asteroid belt NPC's , but where did the name come from ?
Why 'ratting' and not something else, like 'npc-ing' or something similar

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2 - 2013-11-25 08:05:39 UTC
NPC Pirates.

Pirates.

Pi-"rat"-es.

Rats.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-11-25 08:05:53 UTC
Pirate

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Nantwig Mutbrecht
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-11-25 08:06:21 UTC
it's a fitting metaphor. belt rats are like vermin in the cargo of a ship. gotta clear them out every once in a while
Pezazz
Kitsune Corporation
#5 - 2013-11-25 08:22:31 UTC
I always thought it was a callback to RPG terms. Just like using 'rooms' for complexes. Killing ten rats is a classic RPG quest.
Fr3akwave
Mercury Arms Inc.
#6 - 2013-11-25 08:35:43 UTC
Pezazz wrote:
I always thought it was a callback to RPG terms. Just like using 'rooms' for complexes. Killing ten rats is a classic RPG quest.

The 'classic' MMOs that i have played never used the expression "rats". They rather called them mobs (for monsters) or creeps. I have never played WoW though.
culo duro
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-11-25 08:40:03 UTC
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:

The 'classic' MMOs that i have played never used the expression "rats". They rather called them mobs (for monsters) or creeps. I have never played WoW though.

No one would admit if they did on these forums.

I've starting blogging http://www.epvpc.blogspot.com 

Dangirdas Bachir
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-11-25 08:45:12 UTC
culo duro wrote:
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:

I did.

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#9 - 2013-11-25 09:12:00 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

NPC Pirates.
Pirates.
Pi-"rat"-es.
Rats.

This mainly.

Esp since there's a need in Eve to differ between players behaving (and calling themself) pirates and the NPC pirates.

Nantwig Mutbrecht wrote:
it's a fitting metaphor. belt rats are like vermin in the cargo of a ship. gotta clear them out every once in a while

Probably not a primary reason, but likely boosting reason one.

Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:

The "enter sewer, kill rats, collect coins, rinse and repeat" line (or similar) goes back to board games (and later moos/muds).
Most often used to describe boring grind that low level characters are forced to perform by lazy DMs or game designers.

And as a sidenote.
"Mobs" was originally short for "mobiles" or "mobile monsters".
The fact that "mobs" has a RL meaning did of course also contribute.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-11-25 09:31:00 UTC
Dangirdas Bachir wrote:
I did.
Lügner !

Liar !
Dangirdas Bachir
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-11-25 09:33:13 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Dangirdas Bachir wrote:
I did.
Lügner !

Liar !

You wanna fight about cu nt???!

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Cavalira
Habemus
#12 - 2013-11-25 10:05:26 UTC
Dangirdas Bachir wrote:
culo duro wrote:
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:

I did.

knurd
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#13 - 2013-11-25 10:14:37 UTC
it's from old MMORPGs, I think EverQuest: the first NPC you got to kill were just rats. So "ratting" became slang foir generic NPC farming

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-11-25 10:19:09 UTC
Dangirdas Bachir wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
Dangirdas Bachir wrote:
I did.
Lügner !

Liar !

You wanna fight about cu nt???!
Ja !
Bring Dein Tier !

Yes !
Bring your mount !
Corp 5py
Doomheim
#15 - 2013-11-25 11:12:23 UTC
Sura Sadiva wrote:
it's from old MMORPGs, I think EverQuest: the first NPC you got to kill were just rats. So "ratting" became slang foir generic NPC farming

Humm, looks plausible. Everquest was launched in 1999, eve a few years later, I can see the transition of slang terms between the 2. The 'rat' cold then be enforced by the piRAT naming.

Altho, a counter to the everquest rat naming origin would be that overall, 'grinding' has become the MMO term for just killing NPC's for extended periods of time.
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-11-25 11:17:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Anomaly One
I know that in some MUD games 14 years ago, you "rat" in dungeons/rooms by killing rats to get gold.

edit: since 1997

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#17 - 2013-11-25 11:31:52 UTC
Anomaly One wrote:
I know that in some MUD games 14 years ago, you "rat" in dungeons/rooms by killing rats to get gold.

edit: since 1997

Yep, and you can add almost 10 years to that since I know that the term was used in that meaning in muds pre-1990.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#18 - 2013-11-25 13:29:06 UTC
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-11-25 13:40:23 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

NPC Pirates.
Pirates.
Pi-"rat"-es.
Rats.

This mainly.

Esp since there's a need in Eve to differ between players behaving (and calling themself) pirates and the NPC pirates.

This.

It is used to make a clear difference between a NPC Pirate and a player who yells Yarr at the end of every phrase aka a player pirate

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-11-25 13:42:47 UTC
I never even needed it explained to me. It made sense right from the get-go.

Kids, these days....

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
12Next page