These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Rookie mistakes

Author
Thomas Harding
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-11-22 10:45:09 UTC
So, my first visit to null ended like I expected, but still a little too quickly. Jump to null (no alarming amount of kills in map showing), gate camp (with bubble if I saw right) and me thinking what to do. Burning back to gate and I would have made it alive except I couldn't jump because I fired back. At least I think it was because that.

I'm heading back there to die again, but I would prefere to stay alive little longer.

So, is there any rookie guide or anything like that so I could read and learn to avoid other silly mistakes?

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-11-22 11:35:03 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
I don't know about a "rookie-guide-to-nullsec" from the top of my head, but I do have some tips:

1. Start cheap. So don't dump all your ISK in a ship that you will likely lose in null. Bring cheap stuff.

2. If you want to jump back. DO NOT engage. Any type of offensive action (aka weapons and/or e-war) will give you a 60 second weapon timer which prevents jumping.

3. You have 60 seconds of gate cloak, in that time you are NOT visible and thus invulnerable. Use those 60 seconds to judge your options (burn back to gate / warp off / fight).

4. NEVER warp from gate to gate in null-sec, bubbles are placed in such way to catch you (read up on Drag / Stop bubbles). Pick a celestial (I Personally prefer asteroid belts if there a lot of them) to bounce, usually you can this way get around bubbles.

5. If you are killed...and judging by this post you will succeed the following...stay friendly and mature and try to contact those who killed you. Ask them questions about what happened and how to prevent it next time. Most EVE players, as long as you show good attitude, are very helpful if you want to get better. Keep in mind, MOST EVE players, not ALL.

6. Make silly mistakes...and learn from them. As you said, you might encountered a bubble, now you know what they look like. As you now know how they look like, you can next time anticipate on it and know you can't warp while in one.

7. Know thy ships..though as a rookie it's hard. But in time, you will learn which ship usually brings which type of damage and fit (and thus which type of engagement). Knowing this, you can judge your situation listed in point 3. The same counts of course for your own ship, know where it's good points are and what it's weaknesses are (for instance: If you fly a sniping ship that is great at long range but sucks at brawling and land close into a group of brawlers...you are in a disadvantage and should try to escape the best way possible).

---

This is it. might update the post when I remember more tips.

---

EDITS:

8. If you are going to pass through a system more then once. Make tactical bookmarks and safe spots.

Tactical bookmarks are bookmarks around gates (both on grid with it at a range of usually 200 - 250 km as well as off grid so anything from 300 up to 1000km). You can use these bookmarks to see / D-scan if a gate is clear.

In case of a system being hostile and you don't have a quick way out, safe spots are great to hide in and if needed to log off in. Keep in mind though, they can be busted by probers...so typically you only use a safe spot once, after that it isn't safe anymore as people can get an estimate of it with the D-scan while you are in it.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Amaranthe Emberd
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-11-22 11:57:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaranthe Emberd
I'm sorry if I'm explaining things you're already aware of. Here it goes:

Yeah, you couldn't jump back, because you agressed. You can lock targets, but the moment you activate a module attacking someone you get stuck with a 1 minute weapons timer. Also, take care, because people camping deeper into null wont aggress right away and will often jump into the next system together with you and try to catch you there. If you see a single person sitting on a gate, there's a chance that he's acting as eyes for the gate camp on the other side.

This is very situational, but if you encounter a roaming gang on a gate and manage to evade them once, it's probably better to stay at a safe spot (or bounce between safe spots/celestials if they have combat scanner probes), instead of going in the same direction as them. You only want to try to outrun them when you're confident the route ahead is clear and when you know their scout can't catch you. Even then it's a bit risky depending in what part of space you're in and whether said gang has access to jump bridges and thus can suddenly appear in a system a few jumps ahead of you. Though, most probably wont bother for a single target.

You probably know this already, but never warp straight to a gate. If there's a nearby celestial from where you can d-scan the gate, go there first. If you see bubbles on the gate, there's a chance that they might be positioned to catch people warping both from other gates and from the nearest celestial(usually a planet) that you might be currently sitting at. If there are no nearby celestials you can initiate warp and then use ctrl-space in order to exhaust your capacitor. This way you wont have enough cap for the whole warp and your ship will stop somewhere in space on your warp route from where you can proceed to d-scan.
Tyrendian Biohazard
Better Off Red
Unspoken Alliance.
#4 - 2013-11-22 16:48:24 UTC
A lot of good stuff has already been posted.

1) Bounce, Bounce, Bounce. Avoid going in a straight line from gate to gate, approach from different angles as the bubbles are usually setup in direct lines from other gates.

2) DSCAN. Helps a ton knowing what may not actually be on grid with you, but nearby and ready to catch you in a bubble

3) Don't engage unless you're committing to the fight.

4) Avoid dead end systems. The more gates, the better. If people are trying to block a path, you can find a way around, or go into another system and bounce, waiting for them to come through and chase you, then backtrack and go the way you wanted to go.

5) Do go into nullsec from popular gates. Avoid going into null from high sec entrances. These tend to be camped. Find a way off the beaten path through low sec. If you're using the map info for kills and active players, it isn't to hard to find where to go in and where not to.

Twitch streamer and EVE NT tournament broadcaster.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#5 - 2013-11-22 17:13:41 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
I don't know about a "rookie-guide-to-nullsec" from the top of my head, but I do have some tips:
1. Start cheap.
-snip-
6. Make silly mistakes...and learn from them.

Those two are vital.

And not only to nullsec and/or pvp.

They are essential for any part of EvE.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#6 - 2013-11-22 17:15:20 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

3. You have 60 seconds of gate cloak, in that time you are NOT visible and thus invulnerable. Use those 60 seconds to judge your options (burn back to gate / warp off / fight).

i would just like to highliche this poing made by J'Poll, whenever I travel through 0.0 and Low, whenever i jump I do nothing when i land. Take a moment to look around, D-Scan, see whats around you.

Remember: they could also be cloaked and they know that the gate has been used so they know someone is about to decloak and engage warp. (I'm pretty sure they know??? someone chime in if I'm wrong here)

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2013-11-22 17:25:48 UTC
i was once trying out an anomaly in null with an apoc. kept myself aligned to the gate in case sum 1 turned up. that was my first mistake. there was a bloody station in the system.

Some dude in an arazu shows up. so i warp off but guess what? he sees which direction im going and just warps there before i do. I land on gate see him there S%^t my pants and jumped through (second mistake) (maybe i could have waited till he aggressed me and then jumped through.)

Anyway he follows be through the gate waits till i uncloak and boom blk ops drop.

If your doing the same sort of this and theres a station in system, align to the station.

At least there you can dock and u will be safe.

ak3ent
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-11-22 18:03:50 UTC
hey im a rookie too
i went to null sec and got my butt handed to me
but if u wana learn.null isnt good for a solo pvp learning,so pick a fight on ur own sized ships first
in low sec,u will eventually learn how the mechanism works

hell i lost alooooot of ships and only got 1kill on my 17th day
if u wana go to null ur gonna need back up,get some one from ur corp or join a null sec corp
like im planing to do,for the time beign im pvping in high/low secs,i suggest u do the same
i learned ALOT in trackings,and active shields/armors,types of guns,who to not engage,etc etc
although im too new to know if passive tanking is any good in pvp,i never gonna use passive tanking again
if u can afford to lose destroyers with T2 guns and ALOT of them,i suggest u start with them
Thomas Harding
Doomheim
#9 - 2013-11-22 22:26:58 UTC
Thank you all for helping.

Plan is starting to form in my mind and I have couple more question if you don't mind.

It's going to be too much trouble to travel from high to null every tme I want to go there or i ran out of ammo so I think I'm soon going to move to null for couple of weeks. Or until I ran out of ships if that happens first.

I have jump clone with learning implant in high sec so getting back is not a problem, but getting to null is.
I can hire black frog to move my stuff there, but not sure how I get there.

Can I set my clone to npc null station while I'm in high sec and just self destruct my pod to get there?

Also about ship(s). I did spent little time (couple of days) in low sec just to get used to it before my first jump to null and I noticed that my HAM Caracal had no problem dealing with belt rats (including battleships), but is it any good in null belts?

It's not very importand, but I was just thinking that while I'm getting used to being there I could try to make little bit of money too.
And I'm only couple of weeks away from being able to fly interceptors and cov ops frigates so after that I have more choises so I'm not going to be stuck with only Caracals for long.

And finally if I'm sitting in safe spot and see combat probes in dscan how much time I have before I'm scanned down?

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#10 - 2013-11-22 22:43:06 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:

Remember: they could also be cloaked and they know that the gate has been used so they know someone is about to decloak and engage warp. (I'm pretty sure they know??? someone chime in if I'm wrong here)

Yup. Actually, someone might be afk or tabbed out with sound on with a cloaky ship next to the gate or wormhole, just so they can hear if someone is coming. People mining, missioning in low will have alts standing by at the gates. etc.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-11-23 13:28:02 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Thomas Harding wrote:
I have jump clone with learning implant in high sec so getting back is not a problem, but getting to null is.
I can hire black frog to move my stuff there, but not sure how I get there.

Can I set my clone to npc null station while I'm in high sec and just self destruct my pod to get there?

Only if the corp you are in has an office in said station you can remotely move your clone their.

The options you have to move your clone to are linked to your race/bloodline and the corp you are in and the station you are currently docked in.

So the only easy way I can see, is move there first (use a small fast ship) and set your medical clone there.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Thomas Harding
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-11-23 14:23:33 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

So the only easy way I can see, is move there first (use a small fast ship) and set your medical clone there.

Thank you again. I'm going to wait that 10 or so day to be able to fly interceptors.

Probably good thing that I have to wait. Leaves me more time to think things through.