These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Warp Speed and Acceleration

First post First post
Author
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#601 - 2013-11-20 11:25:04 UTC
Spc One wrote:
This warping speed change is ultra bad thing.
In battleship it takes forever to do 160 AU or even 60 AU.

It's super stupid idea of ccp trying to change something that was working ok with old warping speeds.
Ugh

it really wasn't. Warp speed had (almost) zero impact on ship mobility.

If you want your BS to warp faster there are rigs for this which now make a large difference. There are also some new implants out there which are currently being farmed. These will also improve your warp speed.
Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#602 - 2013-11-20 11:33:41 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Spc One wrote:

It's super stupid idea of ccp trying to change something that was working ok with old warping speeds.
Ugh

If you want your BS to warp faster there are rigs for this which now make a large difference. There are also some new implants out there which are currently being farmed. These will also improve your warp speed.

Yea you're right maybe this is OP, battleships should only do 0.003 AU/s.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#603 - 2013-11-20 13:08:20 UTC
Spc One wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Spc One wrote:

Ugh

Yea you're right maybe this is OP, battleships should only do 0.003 AU/s.

Because obviously how bored you are moving around in a battleship is more important than the general balance of the game.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#604 - 2013-11-20 15:48:56 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Because obviously how bored you are moving around in a battleship is more important than the general balance of the game.

Because nerfing battleships warp speed to 50% less is a balance in the game.
And warp speeds were fine for how much years now ?

And if i use new implant set my battleship goes faster then before rubicon, how is that not a "balance" breaking ?

CW Itovuo
The Executioners
#605 - 2013-11-20 16:42:36 UTC  |  Edited by: CW Itovuo
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Thieving Monkey wrote:
Makes no sense. You have warpspeed inversely proportionate to the size of the hull, which is daft. Biggest ship would have largest warpcore and would therefore achieve higher warpspeeds.

The engines on an oil tanker are much bigger than those on a jetski, so of course the oil tanker accelerates much faster and has a much higher top speed!

Right?

And how many hours can a Jetski run on one tank of gas?

And that oil tanker...?
Andrea Keuvo
Rusty Pricks
#606 - 2013-11-20 18:52:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Andrea Keuvo
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Thieving Monkey wrote:
Makes no sense. You have warpspeed inversely proportionate to the size of the hull, which is daft. Biggest ship would have largest warpcore and would therefore achieve higher warpspeeds.

The engines on an oil tanker are much bigger than those on a jetski, so of course the oil tanker accelerates much faster and has a much higher top speed!

Right?

Oil tankers do not operate in the frictionless vacuum of space

Aldap wrote:
The warp time of Battleships is completely unreasonable.
I understands it looks good on paper, in theory.
But in reality, CCP, you are wasting the RL time of the player.
Roaming a BS feels like you're in a constant warp, its torture, and an actual real waste of one's time.

100% this. The warpspeed changes should have been baselined around the old battleship warp speed. Warping between systems is already the most tedious waste of time in the game so a change that increases that time by 50%+ for a commonly used class of ships is absurd.
hujciwdupe22
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#607 - 2013-11-20 22:34:56 UTC
inties are deadly, dont roam in armor vs blob,
blob seems unescapable
chasing you through systems to the last of you

op as hell

Rovinia
Exotic Dancers Union
#608 - 2013-11-21 01:01:10 UTC
Liked the warp speed changes very much in general.

But Battleships should get put on 3 AU / s again. Their slow aligne time allready makes them very clumsy. They allready had the effect of beeing "outwarped" through that. It makes that class very incommodious to work with in pvp and pve.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#609 - 2013-11-21 01:34:05 UTC
Spc One wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

And if i use new implant set my battleship goes faster then before rubicon, how is that not a "balance" breaking ?

Warp speeds weren't fine.. Warp speeds have been ******* stupid for ages making lots or rigs absolutely useless and diminishing the over all value of smaller ships.

Making the differences between different ship classes greater is a good thing.

NaK'Lin
Seamen Force
#610 - 2013-11-21 08:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: NaK'Lin
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Spc One wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Warp speeds weren't fine.. Warp speeds have been ******* stupid for ages making lots or rigs absolutely useless and diminishing the over all value of smaller ships.

Making the differences between different ship classes greater is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not challenging the fact that warp speeds were borked and the overhaul is a good start.
I don't challenge the idea, I challenge the current implementation.

I believe we can all agree that having smaller ships warping fast than larger ships is the goal of this, and thus smaller ships can catch them big pignatas.

however, having slowed down substantially some subcap classes, like battleships, makes them seriously not even close to being useful or enjoyable to use outside of a cyno drop, a station undock, or any other situation where you can avoid the damn warp.
they could've baselined around something other than the cruiser, if they wanted to, or set an upper cap of how castrated a ship can be. If you put BS hulls or BC hulls at were they were before This patch, maybe with a sliiiiight difference between BC/BS, the small stuff will still catch them by miles, because they still warp faster AND they align like ZOMGHOLYBATMANWTFBBQ while the BC/BS moves like Xav's ladyfriend.

2c

--NaK
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#611 - 2013-11-21 12:04:34 UTC
I honestly think battleships should be slow.

And caps should be slow as balls.

But i havn't really warped around in those much since the changes so i can't really comment much on if the current speed is too slow.

sabastyian
Singularity Expedition Services
Singularity Syndicate
#612 - 2013-11-21 19:26:23 UTC  |  Edited by: sabastyian
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

But i havn't really warped around in those much since the changes so i can't really comment much on if the current speed is too slow.

Takes me over a minute to undock and warp to a gate 2au away in a machariel.......
I'm timed it today with my stop watch, from 0m/s to destination, 54 seconds, from warping straight off undock 61 seconds.....
Kirren D'marr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#613 - 2013-11-21 20:34:14 UTC
Andrea Keuvo wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Thieving Monkey wrote:

Right?

Oil tankers do not operate in the frictionless vacuum of space

Frictionless is not inertia-less. The main benefit that being frictionless gets you in this case is that once you are up to speed, you will stay there until you use another force (reverse thrusters, etc.) to decelerate. Larger mass still means more inertia, and therefore more force required to get up to speed.

Why a switch on/off? Because the new animation doesn't add anything to gameplay and it's graphically annoying. In other words, it's worse than bad: it's useless. Simple as that.     _ - Kina Ayami_

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#614 - 2013-11-21 22:28:38 UTC
sabastyian wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Takes me over a minute to undock and warp to a gate 2au away in a machariel.......

Well if i had a saying in it your machariel would explode on undock >=[

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#615 - 2013-11-21 22:37:39 UTC
Having traveled 20 jumps in a dominix, I can now see the effect of this change.

Faster frigate warps are very welcome. Slower BS warps are not. Battleships already had significant disadvantages which made their selection over a T2 or T3 cruiser a marginal call. After this change, I will not choose a battleship. They are just too slow to move around. The fight will be over before they arrive.

Anyone want to buy some battleships?

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#616 - 2013-11-21 22:48:26 UTC
I saw a suggestion for some +0.5 AU/s and +1.0 AU/s low-slot warp speed modules. Thought it was a really good idea.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#617 - 2013-11-21 22:52:38 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
I saw a suggestion for some +0.5 AU/s and +1.0 AU/s low-slot warp speed modules. Thought it was a really good idea.

Give up a low slot in a pvp Dominix or pvp Hyperion?

How about "no thanks"?

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

sabastyian
Singularity Expedition Services
Singularity Syndicate
#618 - 2013-11-22 00:33:11 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
sabastyian wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Well if i had a saying in it your machariel would explode on undock >=[

Alot of people have tried to kill it...... it somehow has survived ( through alot of luck..... )
NaK'Lin
Seamen Force
#619 - 2013-11-22 03:07:19 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Oh, so that means "we patched something, we borked Battleships while we did it, so instead of fixing it, lets now bork the battleship fits, only so that the actual travel can be done, but now their combat stats are below that of a BC" ????

I seriously have tears when i stare at my battleships in hangar.
Why even fly one?

I reiterate:
Smaller ships, got warp speed increased. GOOD
But even if they would have barely or not at all touched BC / BS hulls (mostly BS though), then smaller stuff would still catch it, because let's face it, BS would STILL warp longer and it additionally aligns like a brick.

But the current state of patch makes a BS just not usable.
Guess what, not all players spend 90 minutes staring at a titan's butt waiting for a cyno to go up. some actually used to use their battleships for things other than -dropships-.
TinkerHell
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#620 - 2013-11-22 12:36:02 UTC
How to roam in a BS and not die of old age before arriving at destination.

Fit cyno captor. Burn to destination or hostile gang, drop cyno 1 jump out, titan bridge BS.

Engage.