These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
4 PagesPrevious page1234Next page
 

Does CCP play EvE?

First post
Author
Verge of Collapse
#21 - 2013-11-22 09:23:42 UTC
Zapp McDouche wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is pretty much spot on.


Can you actually PvP or are you forced to only play the PvE aspect?


They had roams where players where invited to go out to some areas of lowsec to go shoot on the ccp fleet who had come out .

see this old article from last year news article about shoot dev space ships

I mean with their alt, not in a public event.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

C C P Alliance
#22 - 2013-11-22 09:24:51 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is pretty much spot on.


Can you actually PvP or are you forced to only play the PvE aspect?


I spend most of the time on my player alt PvPing, other devs do whatever they enjoy most, some spend more of their time in PvE. We're not restricted in that regard.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Verge of Collapse
#23 - 2013-11-22 09:27:14 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is pretty much spot on.


Can you actually PvP or are you forced to only play the PvE aspect?


I spend most of the time on my player alt PvPing, other devs do whatever they enjoy most, some spend more of their time in PvE. We're not restricted in that regard.

Nice to know. Might kill you some day then I hope Twisted

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Top Belt for Fun
#24 - 2013-11-22 09:36:12 UTC
Icarus Able wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.



What about Rise?


Rise put in an entire video on his YouTube channel about how he was going to work at CCP and so Kil2 would have to be put on hold and so his EVE videos would have to dry up. He had been doing all those solo pvp commentaries for a while before that.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

#25 - 2013-11-22 09:39:15 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
I spend most of the time on my player alt PvPing, other devs do whatever they enjoy most, some spend more of their time in PvE. We're not restricted in that regard.

Have you ever fallen for a scam?
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2013-11-22 09:44:34 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Fozzie
Riot Girl wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
I spend most of the time on my player alt PvPing, other devs do whatever they enjoy most, some spend more of their time in PvE. We're not restricted in that regard.

Have you ever fallen for a scam?


Not since joining CCP, but I fell for a couple in my EVE life before that. (Which is what inspired my adventures in scamming others back then)

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

#27 - 2013-11-22 09:59:29 UTC
That's interesting. What kind of scams did you do?
C C P Alliance
#28 - 2013-11-22 10:30:52 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
That's interesting. What kind of scams did you do?


Give me your scams and I'll double them.

CCP Dolan | Community Representative

Twitter: @CCPDolan

Gooby pls

#29 - 2013-11-22 10:46:44 UTC
CCP Dolan wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
That's interesting. What kind of scams did you do?


Give me your scams and I'll double them.

Deal.
#30 - 2013-11-22 10:50:45 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
CCP Navigator wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is pretty much spot on.



You need to get into the darker side of EVE too.

I'd love to have a CCP employee AWOX me.


so, you missed out on the last event?:)
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2013-11-22 11:22:27 UTC
I have always suspected some... lets call them helpful, well-versed and knowledgeable people to be CCP alts.

I actually like the idea. Having a secret identity and all that.

On this note... I bet CCP alts don't do voice comms. Surely someone would recognize you otherwise, at least the people that are prominent in videos and events - Guard, Fozzie, etc.?

(Ice) Miner for life.

Caldari State
#32 - 2013-11-22 13:53:24 UTC
What people really want to know, is do CCP developers sneak-play a little while you are supposed to be working Question
#33 - 2013-11-22 14:45:05 UTC
Voice coms would surely give away the identities of some of those alts, could you imagine a mad cackling rolling over coms from CCP Guard?
#34 - 2013-11-22 14:54:59 UTC
Do you get to play Blink?

The Nexus 7's

What we fall short of in numbers we more than make up for in stupidity

Varius Xeral
#35 - 2013-11-22 14:56:45 UTC
Apparently I sound like CCP Soundwave on coms. Caused no end of conspiracy theorizing.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#36 - 2013-11-22 15:08:52 UTC
I dont know about CCP, but I played EVE once.














It was terrible...

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Hard Knocks Citizens
#37 - 2013-11-22 15:10:53 UTC
They all have alts in Goonswarm of course! :tinfoilhat:

This signature intentionally left blank

Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2013-11-22 15:13:45 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Apparently I sound like CCP Soundwave on coms. Caused no end of conspiracy theorizing.


stealth "no! I'm not CCP Soundwave" but really is post.Lol
#39 - 2013-11-22 15:43:58 UTC
Jandice Ymladris wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is still the case yes, also added tidbit: CCP employees aren't allowed to scam/corptheft either on their playing account. Neither are they allowed to inform their corp/alliance of upcoming changes that aren't known, or game-information that can give their friends an advantage over others (by examples telling m to invest in marauders because nexy patch will enhance m greatly, skyrocketing demand)

Normally the Internal Affairs section in CCP watches over this (was founded after the T2BPO debacle)


All sounds good in theory.
But completely impossible to enforce.

How does this IA dept (which I am not sure even exists but in name only since the last IA head returned to the goons), monitor personal phone calls or skype on personal computers when a dev calls up his goon buddy and discusses what is being changed in the game, and what the goons would like changed to expand their empire?

Say some group quietly starts buying Guidance Systems, or any P4 product, weeks before the announcement was made of handing high sec POCO's over to the cartels. How does the IA track purchases made by who knows how many alts scattered over how many in-game corps associated with who knows how many accounts, and then the subsequent sales when prices skyrocket?

No one seriously believes the IA has the people and technical resources to track every single item affected by every single game mechanic change. And also, to suggest that the dev's, who the vast vast majority are plucked from null sec cartels, suddenly drop all friendships and allegiances when they get hired by CCP is totally ludicrous. That is not how human nature works.

Case in point. Read the Playboy article http://www.playboy.com/playground/view/vile-rat-virtual-world-of-eve-online that covers the biography of the goon killed in Libya. The article specifically mentions a former member of the CCP security team (also was a former goon) "reaching out" to the leader of the goons. People who have cut off relationships with one another don't "reach out" like that, unless they are still friends.

So to suggest that CCP has the ability to change human nature, or the resources to chase down any dev that is willing to hand inside information over to their in-game (and out-of-game) friends is just naive.
ChaosTheory.
#40 - 2013-11-22 15:52:04 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Jandice Ymladris wrote:
Alduin666 Shikkoken wrote:
AFAIK they are allowed to have alts like you or I so they can play the game, but they can't do certain things like suicide ganking. They also have to play batman and keep their real identity a secret, because devs can't have known alts. Also if you join CCP then you have to put your current account(s) in a stasis of sorts, and you can't access it until you stop working at CCP.

I heard this information almost two years ago so it may be out of date. Of course there is the possibility that this information is completely wrong too, because I read it somewhere on the eve wiki, which was a little hectic and untrustworthy back then.


This is still the case yes, also added tidbit: CCP employees aren't allowed to scam/corptheft either on their playing account. Neither are they allowed to inform their corp/alliance of upcoming changes that aren't known, or game-information that can give their friends an advantage over others (by examples telling m to invest in marauders because nexy patch will enhance m greatly, skyrocketing demand)

Normally the Internal Affairs section in CCP watches over this (was founded after the T2BPO debacle)


All sounds good in theory.
But completely impossible to enforce.

How does this IA dept (which I am not sure even exists but in name only since the last IA head returned to the goons), monitor personal phone calls or skype on personal computers when a dev calls up his goon buddy and discusses what is being changed in the game, and what the goons would like changed to expand their empire?

Say some group quietly starts buying Guidance Systems, or any P4 product, weeks before the announcement was made of handing high sec POCO's over to the cartels. How does the IA track purchases made by who knows how many alts scattered over how many in-game corps associated with who knows how many accounts, and then the subsequent sales when prices skyrocket?

No one seriously believes the IA has the people and technical resources to track every single item affected by every single game mechanic change. And also, to suggest that the dev's, who the vast vast majority are plucked from null sec cartels, suddenly drop all friendships and allegiances when they get hired by CCP is totally ludicrous. That is not how human nature works.

Case in point. Read the Playboy article http://www.playboy.com/playground/view/vile-rat-virtual-world-of-eve-online that covers the biography of the goon killed in Libya. The article specifically mentions a former member of the CCP security team (also was a former goon) "reaching out" to the leader of the goons. People who have cut off relationships with one another don't "reach out" like that, unless they are still friends.

So to suggest that CCP has the ability to change human nature, or the resources to chase down any dev that is willing to hand inside information over to their in-game (and out-of-game) friends is just naive.


I'd pay a whole lot of real life money for copies of an MRI scan of your brain.
4 PagesPrevious page1234Next page
Forum Jump