These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Am I a Pirate?

Author
TK Eds
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-11-21 23:12:58 UTC
I'm flying anywhere theres stuff that needs to be stolen, wrecks left to scavenge, or pilots who arent paying attention. Most pirates fly around looking for fights, I try and avoid them and often make the pirates give chase.

I'm just floating here in my capsule scanning down some sites to hack, and I started wonderin' how people feel about us rats out there trying to make a dishonest living. I dont kill people (not as rule, I'm just better at getting out of situation than I am getting into them) but I do steal, everything, from anyone. Am I pirate?
Jasmin Soulscream
Daeuuas.
#2 - 2013-11-21 23:35:45 UTC
Yes
Nissui
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-11-22 00:02:02 UTC
Plenty of opportunities out there for a resourceful operator such as yourself. While the rest of the cluster bloviates on ephemera, you're pathfinding in the Great Dark.

Make the spirits proud, pirate, and if you can't make them proud, make them tremble.
James Syagrius
Reclamation
#4 - 2013-11-22 00:23:18 UTC
Having worked with both I feel comfortable saying you are not a pirate.

Your a thief.
TK Eds
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-11-22 00:41:17 UTC
Seems folks have different notions as to the nature of a pirate
Constantin Baracca
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#6 - 2013-11-22 00:43:13 UTC
TK Eds wrote:
I'm flying anywhere theres stuff that needs to be stolen, wrecks left to scavenge, or pilots who arent paying attention. Most pirates fly around looking for fights, I try and avoid them and often make the pirates give chase.

I'm just floating here in my capsule scanning down some sites to hack, and I started wonderin' how people feel about us rats out there trying to make a dishonest living. I dont kill people (not as rule, I'm just better at getting out of situation than I am getting into them) but I do steal, everything, from anyone. Am I pirate?

No, piracy is very specifically when you attack or threaten to attack a ship, then relieve it of its cargo. At best, you're a salvager, and at worst, you're a thief. I don't think the term "pirate" would specifically apply to you, though.

"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

-Matthew 16:26

Anslo
Scope Works
#7 - 2013-11-22 05:00:00 UTC
The question you SHOULD be asking is this....do you care how other people label you? Or would you prefer your actions and the benefit you gain for those actions speak for themself?

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Blaise Cadelanne
The Synenose Accord
#8 - 2013-11-22 05:22:09 UTC
You take what other don't care enough to defend. That may be thievery, but you provide a necessary component to the economy. You clean up after those who leave their personal items behind. You lighten their material load, and enrich your own existence. You even make the attempt not to harm them. you make a living off the unintended donation of others, nothing wrong with that.

Blaise Cadelanne

They bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!”

Mra Rednu
Oyonata Gate Defence Force.
#9 - 2013-11-22 11:56:49 UTC
More to the point you said you are just sat floating in a capsule scanning of which you need a vessel to fit a probe launcher into.

So you a pirate ? definately not.
A thief ? maybe.
A liar ? Most certainly.
Isis Dea
Society of Adrift Hope
#10 - 2013-11-22 12:13:50 UTC
Mra Rednu wrote:
More to the point you said you are just sat floating in a capsule scanning of which you need a vessel to fit a probe launcher into.

So you a pirate ? definately not.
A thief ? maybe.
A liar ? Most certainly.

That capsule may certainly still be in his ship, they don't call us capsuleers for nothing.

Give the man and his Opus Luxury Yacht the chance bro...

More Character Customization :: Especially compared to what we had in 2003...

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#11 - 2013-11-22 12:18:56 UTC
TK Eds wrote:

You are the Vermin i hunt, the prey, the chased herbivore. You run from fights and take no risk at all to gain what you desire, Scum you may be. But a Pirate you ain't.
Davlos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-11-22 12:37:19 UTC
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free,

You are a pirate! Pirate
Anslo
Scope Works
#13 - 2013-11-22 14:40:37 UTC
Samoth Egnoled wrote:
TK Eds wrote:

You are the Vermin i hunt, the prey, the chased herbivore. You run from fights and take no risk at all to gain what you desire, Scum you may be. But a Pirate you ain't.

Look out, we got a bad ass over here. Careful everyone!

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#14 - 2013-11-22 14:49:38 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Samoth Egnoled wrote:
TK Eds wrote:

Look out, we got a bad ass over here. Careful everyone!

Aww, how cute. You assume your witty one-liner bothers me, and that by me replying I am admitting it to you. Your quick wit amuses me, to the point where I'd concider letting you live a while longer....
Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#15 - 2013-11-22 15:07:36 UTC
All this **** waving is distracting me.

If only it were a bit more.... substantial?

Mr. Eds you strike me as more an opportunist than an actual pirate, per se. There's always room for improvement though!

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#16 - 2013-11-22 15:16:45 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:

Mr. Eds you strike me as more an opportunist than an actual pirate, per se. There's always room for improvement though!

Hmm?

Sorry thought you were referring to something else.. I never claimed to be a Pirate, after all its a catch all term given to people by those who don't agree with their actions. An opportunist? Merely a facet of the bigger picture.
Karynn Denton
Lekhantsi Salvage Depot
#17 - 2013-11-22 15:18:10 UTC
Nah, I'd say you were definitely a thief and not a pirate.

The main difference being the use (or lack of) force.

I started out very much like you... I would swipe whole jetcans of ore from under miners, salvage and loot deadspaces whilst mission contractors glared at me through their targeting systems. I even stole a POS tower once, just as it came to the end of the unanchor cycle.

Which makes me wonder, why are you scanning down sites to hack?
I'd suggest scanning down the sites and waiting for some other schmuck to hack them, then you dive in and reap their hard work.
You might want to bring guns for that though; if they choose to take advantage of your Suspect status, it may quickly turn into an act of piracy!

Karynn Denton

Caravan Master

Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#18 - 2013-11-22 15:19:17 UTC
Samoth Egnoled wrote:
Silas Vitalia wrote:

Hmm?

Sorry thought you were referring to something else.. I never claimed to be a Pirate, after all its a catch all term given to people by those who don't agree with their actions. An opportunist? Merely a facet of the bigger picture.

Eds is the name of the original thread author.

Your name is Egnoled.

One-too-many laps on the mindflood circuit, eh?

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#19 - 2013-11-22 15:24:36 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:
Samoth Egnoled wrote:
Silas Vitalia wrote:

Hmm?

Eds is the name of the original thread author.

Your name is Egnoled.

One-too-many laps on the mindflood circuit, eh?

*Chuckles*

It certainly seems that way... No more for me tonight, i've had enough it apparently. Oops
Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#20 - 2013-11-22 15:29:27 UTC
TK Eds wrote:

Even pirates have a bit of honor, and they fight for their loot, what they get. They risk their lives and pay with their blood.
And you?... No, you are not a pirate. You are just a petty disgusting thief.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

12Next page